Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Honestly, I really like Blossoming Bogbeast as a cheap overrun effect. By itself, it gives +2/+2 and trample to your team, but with big life gains (Wellwisher?) you can make poo poo super fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Hell, he's been branching out and doing videos on other card games as well, and even those are pretty good. I watched the one on the new Digimon game, and felt I had enough of an understanding to head to my flgs for a local night from watching it. Besides, being as big as he is with magic brings more eyes on the other games he does as well, which is almost always a good thing (except for Flesh and Blood).

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

So the RC came out with their February announcement.

it's fuckin nothing, lol

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Jiro posted:

So what's been everyone's experience in slotting in new Kamigawa cards into existing decks or building something out from a legendary from there?

I've built Isshin, Two Heavens As One here, and been having a blast. Sure, I don't have Aurelia the Warleader to get ridiculous, but it's still fun as poo poo.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I get that Sheldon is out of touch, but holy poo poo I didn't realize that playing lovely stax outside of cEDH was "spicy". Like, my build leaves much to be desired, and I'd consider it significantly more "spicy".

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Batterypowered7 posted:

I see a lot of excitement for the Bant birb. Any love for the 3CMC Grixis guy from the actual commander product?

Anhelo? Honestly, I think he could be really neat, depending upon the build, and I'm not really a Grixis kind of guy.

Right off the bat I think people are going to try an Aristocrats build, but considering he needs specifically power 2 or greater, and the usual token producers in those kinds of decks tend to make 1/1s, I'm not having high hopes for that.

I could see people trying him out in cEDH, as you could copy a Pact, first one grabbing a Thoracle, the second getting rid of the rest of your library. He can also copy counterspells as well, making him a little spicy. I can see him being the head of a very interesting combo deck.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Grevlek posted:

Mercenaries what

for real

what next, a rakish band of Rebels that show up when we return to Dominaria? Because that's what we need, a callback to another 22-year-old archetype. :rolleyes:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I finally got over to my FLGS and picked up the prerelease pack I had them hold for me (because gently caress retail work, seriously) and pulled a non-foil showcase Ognis. I have a spark of an idea for a deck, in that I want to run both Tombstone Stairwell and Pitiless Plunderer in here. Not sure how to make that pay off, nor how I want to get there in the first place, but I'm kinda hoping that throwing the idea out there and bouncing it off the group here will hopefully inspire someone like it's inspired me, and give me some absolutely nutbar bullshit shenanigans to run with, cackling like a mad scientist watching their creation come to life.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Go wide Orzhov? I like it

Kinda spicy in Isshin tokens. Might actually have to spend money on one of the 40k decks now, depending upon what else is in there.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Went to the local store's EDH night the other night, squeaked out a win with my Minotaurs, and ended up getting a Ziatora from the SNC promo pack they were handing out, as well as a showcase Ognis, the Dragon's Lash from the booster they give on entry. I get home that night, and it turns out a buddy stopped by and dropped off the Riveteers New Capenna deck for me, since he got two when he only ordered one. So like, everything the last couple of days has been saying "build a jund deck, you nerd", and Ziatora does actually look pretty cool. I'm asking if there's anything really spicy that I should grab now before it gets expensive, or obvious throw-ins, etc., so I can go grab cards when payday hits later this week.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Batterypowered7 posted:

You're a better person than I am. I would have built Beamtown Bullies instead, lol.

I just don't have the really fun stuff for them, like Leveler or Eater of Days, otherwise I'd consider them. They're a lot less expensive than I remember them being, though, so I'll consider it eventually.

pseudanonymous posted:

Burn Ziatora and Ognis, get Korvold, build assemble the cat oven, get a soundboard with the cat doing that crazy screech from Arena.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/pi0qaIzD20iAw-KgCvKQng

Proxy the ABUR duals, obviously.

So two things: first, I don't have Korvold, and neither does the lgs I played at, so I'd have to wait for one to come in, and hope it's in the condition it's supposed to be. Not a huge thing, but I've been burned before on cheaper cards, so I'm a little hesitant.

Second, the buddy that bought the precon and got two bought one for his own Korvold deck, and I'm not really into trying to one-up people by playing the same Commander intentionally. If I go to the lgs, and so happen to run into someone with the same Commander, that's one thing, but to play the same Commander as someone in the usual playgroup is another.

Still, I'll definitely look at that deck and grab some of the neater stuff in there, so thanks for that.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

As part of my Christmas gifts to people this year, I'm planning on building my sister-in-law a Bruenor Battlehammer deck, as well as trying to get all of the rest of the Companions of Mithral Hall from the Forgotten Realms sets, because she's a fan of the Salvatore novels while also being into Magic. Bruenor just so happens to be her favorite character out of the books, which is why I was going with the full deck for him, and just the cards for the rest. Anyway, I'm looking to keep it under like, $40 for the whole deck, and wouldn't mind a few pointers for decent value Equipment that would be useful. I'm already eyeing a few, like Bloodforged Battle Axe, Two-Handed Axe, and Maul of the Skyclaves, but I'm not set on whether I should go with a more voltron kind of deck, or try more of a wider build, so I don't want to start picking cards up for the deck until I get that hammered out.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Pulled a Queen Kayla in one of the packs of BRO I got for Christmas, and I remembered that people were saying she could be an interesting stax commander, so I build a deck around her trying to play the fairest of magic. I'd already gotten the ire of one of the LGS guys because I'd played Magus of the Moon against his super greedy 5-color manabase, and he kept being a whiny pissbaby the whole rest of the game, so I think I'm at least headed in the right direction. I did notice there aren't a ton of fliers in here, nor is there really a whole lot of ways to deal with planeswalkers, but I haven't really found a solution that would work with the deck that I really like.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Definitely appreciate the ideas. Not sure if I want to run planeswalkers of my own, especially if I'm gonna be trying out Flame Blitz on top of everything, but there's definitely a couple of neat ideas and cards I didn't know about (like Sparkhunter Masticore and Immovable Rod).

generatrix posted:

Be sure to get the showcase art and talk to him like a real dog if the salty guy is the type who is very against Unfinity cards being eternal legal.
Dude doesn't seem like that, and the LGS is usually pretty chill about that. I definitely want to start stressing that I'm playing fair magic though, and besides, it's not like I'm really running any hard stax, like Winter Orb or Smokestack; I'm still letting you untap and play one thing a turn. Not my fault you want to try to get up to some degenerate bullshit. I'll definitely start calling him out on his poo poo if he picks back up on being a whiny pissbaby again though, cuz I'm not gonna pay money to sit and listen to people whine about how they can't do broken poo poo.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/92BC04GdcEyj3cSjyK6xMA

After trying to run a few gimmicky decks both with my normal playgroup and at the FLGS, only to get completely poo poo on, I figure that I ought to start being the fun police in order to have any chance of winning a game. Looking at the all of the stax bullshit I have, a not-insignificant number of those are enchantments. Between that, and the random foil Ghen I'd found in an old Dragon Shield box of bulk rares, I wanted to try and use it not only to be a unique special snowflake (since there really aren't a ton of Ghen decks over on EDHRec), but also because I expect many of the obnoxious enchantments to be the target of removal, and being able to recur them again and again seems to be decent, especially in a staxy deck. Of course, as I type this up, there's a bunch of cards that I realize aren't in the deck but should be, so I just listed those in the "considering" section, and wouldn't mind cuts in order to fit them in.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Koopa Kid posted:

Alright now I’m actually getting serious about this

Jesus loving christ if you won't windmill slam Last Laugh into that deck I swear

Seriously though, you get to essentially kill everything that's not a) Ob Nixilis, b) indestructible, or c) protection from black, deal X damage to everybody, make Ob +X/+X, and exile X cards off the top of your deck, where X is the number of creatures on the board. It's just such a hilarious card (pun fully intended) when it goes off, and both red and black have numerous permanents that can sacrifice themselves or others in order to start the chain reaction of fun at instant speed.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

For the most part, yeah, I tend to choose the commander first, then the deck type. However, for both my Woolly Thoctar Beast typal pauper deck and my Piru aikido/lifegain decks, I started with the theme and chose a commander from there.

Also, I built my own Imodane, and at least from goldfishing with it, it seems really fun (for me, anyway). Just wish I didn't constantly keep running into issues in the day of my flgs' commander nights, because I would really like to actually test it against real people.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Postmodern Video Games posted:

I browse the forums in light mode too. :unsmigghh:

:mods:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thinking about making a Dakkon Blackblade deck inspired by Dark Souls.

If you do, post it. There's an Italian black border one at work I've been considering picking up, just because I really like RKF's work in general anyway.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Jiro posted:

Then I totally played that card wrong lol, ooooops.

Edit: The scenario at that time was opponent had just attacked with creatures to try and kill me, I successfully block take no damage, once they saw that they activated the Reservoir and beamed me for 50. Would that not be in the combat phase?

"Combat Damage" is very specifically damage dealt from the game action of attacking with a creature. a.k.a., I declare a creature as attacking, you declare blockers, and once that's all done, that is when creatures deal combat damage. That's it. Aetherflux Reservoir, even if activated in the Combat Phase, is not combat damage, and cannot be prevented by Inkshield.

The Reservoir's damage can, however, be affected by Reflect Damage to hit the controller of the Reservoir itself, which is infinitely more funny. Also, Dream Devourer is useful to be able to foretell both cards, allowing you to not have to worry about stuff like wheels or discard, while also making the cards cheaper when it matters.

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 22, 2024

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Probably because Deflecting Palm is 2 mana and does mostly the same thing https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386516

There are subtle differences, though.

First, Deflecting Palm prevents damage, Reflect Damage doesn't, so effects that stop damage prevention won't stop Reflect but will stop Palm.

Second, Deflecting Palm only prevents damage to you, Reflect Damage redirects all damage a source would deal, to me or anyone else. So Palm doesn't do poo poo to Blasphemous Act, but Reflect Damage does and is also absolutely loving hilarious as well, doing (13*creatures on board) damage to the Act caster.

Third, when using Palm to redirect damage, Palm is the source of the damage. Whereas with Reflect Damage, the original source is where the damage comes from. I.E., if you Deflecting Palm a 21/X commander you don't control, it has to be attacking you, and even then the controller takes damage from Deflecting Palm. However, with Reflect Damage, that same commander can be attacking anyone else on board, and then oops, they just commander damage themselves out of the game.

So yeah, it is 5 mana, and that's kinda garb in higher-powered games. At the same time, it can lead to very hilarious results. At least, for the person using it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Unban Limited Resources, cowards.