Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bottom Liner posted:

Every Vlaada should be in the OP. The OP should just be Vlaada. All praise unto Vlaada.

(Dungeon duo rules, you should definitely try them)

It's weird - I suspect that because he's moved onto family party games and hasn't put out anything particularly heavy in years (except the TTA expansion), he hasn't been as romanticized in this thread (or on SUSD) as he once was. Space Alert and the Dungeon duo are, imo, timeless and while I've moved onto more intuitive solo fare than Mage Knight, it's great too. And people in my group will always remember Bunny Bunny Moose Moose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tekopo posted:

So I used to really like TS and when the app for it came out, I binge played it. And binging through it really affected my enjoyment of the game in the negative. I now think it’s a very innovative design (for the time) with quite a few outright design issues.

This is 100% Terra Mystica for me..

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Defenistrator posted:

I like board games but hate the horrible people that occupy the space. Is there any alternative to BGG that isn't majority WASP or WASP run?

Not saying all WASPs are bad people, just find that sites run by wasps or majority WASP userbase wait a lot lot longer to shut down horrible speech if it's not about them.

Uh, have you used BGG at all in the past year or so? They've been ridiculously active in curtailing any sort of hateful speech.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

sportsgenius86 posted:

It will feel at times like building Dwellings is maybe not the most important thing, but it very much is.

Quoted for truth. Also, players shouldn't underestimate how important it is to go into the Dungeon and add cards to their tableau. Both the VP multipliers you get from working up a track as well as the abilities you get for recalling your pieces are pretty key.

If you're guiding the set-up, I always include the Oracle. It's a second way to get Dungeon cards and, honestly, they're the shiniest part of the game; it sucks to limit access to them to a single hex (although it can certainly turn that hex into a knifefight in a phone booth.)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

Hyperborea is really loving good and while I hadn't thought of it in those terms, calling it competitive Mage Knight lite is not the worst description. When the world is sane again I'm dying to try it with the expansion. But not before then, as I'm not dying to try it.

Ditto. The expansion being re-released recently for perfectionists who care NOTHING for the fact that you can DIY 90% of it perfectly easily is also added incentive to give it another try in 2022.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

CitizenKeen posted:

Please sell me on/off Rococo, specifically Deluxe Edition. I want goon opinions.

I own both the regular edition and the Deluxe and both are great.

Ever wanted to be a dressmaker in the Sun King's court? This is the game for you. Ever wanted a deckbuilder that eliminates randomness but gives you a feeling of customizing your strategy by hiring workers towards a long-term strategy from a relatively limited pool? Want a little point salad and a little recipe-building and a little area control and some interesting twists on all of the above that haven't really been fully reproduced in its successors? And a game that's relatively simple to teach by today's standards?

Rococo's your game. And the Deluxe edition is lovely.

Here, let Quinns' enthusiasm take you home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8pohUw9s0

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

I can see the confusion with the colonists, who need to be on (or rather, between) certain spaces for you to build cities.

One of my favourite WP games is the much underrated Bomarzo. Players have a hand of cards that represent the projects they can build by sending their workers to three of the eight action cards. The action cards represent eight statues in the Bomarzo which are, in the game, idols to ancient gods; leaving offerings to placate a god ensures the success of your project. There are two neat twists: first, each god has an attached victory condition whose value is based on its final position around the board after it is adjusted by the result of a blind bid. Making a bid costs both a worker and a project card and everyone knows you've bid on it, but the value of your bid isn't known. Second, the cost of a god's aid varies based on how many people have given offerings already (first player pays a base cost, others pay the total already given plus one cube, they cost less next turn if not used at all); you're allowed to overpay to shut out other players; and giving the god too much of the wild resource, wine, makes them sated and shuts down the space entirely.

Bomarzo reminds me a lot of Keyflower, except the auction element is replaced by the vying for favours and the in-game information is open while the value of victory conditions is hidden. It's tight, but light enough to be accessible; crunchy, but you can still fit two games into one evening. It also often comes up in Giochix's sales as they try to offload stock - it's full price right now, but it was selling for under €10 at the last two pre-COVID Spiels.

Makes me regret not grabbing it at the last few sales I've seen it on. Future me will remember this.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Pax Porfiriana IS, in fact, pretty good, but I think I just went from "not buying another game of Eklund's" to full divestment. Pax Renaissance and Pax Porfiriana might be a lot of fun, but I've got too little free time to waste any of it thinking about PE while playing a boardgame, even a good one.

Besides, Pax Pamir 2's better anyhow.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm unfamiliar with all of these games but was going to look into Pax Pamir due to someone's recent funny story about it in this thread. Is Pax Pamir 2 made by someone different or something?

Long story short, Pax Pamir was made by Cole Wehrle for Eklund's old company with Eklund's input. Wehrle went out on his own in the world after that and Pax Pamir 2 is entirely his, not a dime going to Eklund (at least so far as I know).

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lawlicaust posted:

Good. As a consumer I really like gamefound. Better UI, easy to pick upgrades, integrated surveys, great support.

I’d buy everything on gamefound over ks if offered the option

Quoted for absolute truth, even before taking into account Kickstarter's blockchain nonsense.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tekopo posted:

Did you ever hear of the legend of Broken Loose the wise? It's not a story the thread regulars would tell you. It's a TG BG thread legend. Broken Loose was a good poster of the thread, so powerful and so wise he could use Fun to influence the thread and create arguments… He had such a knowledge of the thread, he could even keep the games he cared about from being forgotten.

I miss BL.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

jarofpiss posted:

should probably add letters from whitechapel and anything slaanesh related while we're at it?

C'mon, man.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Aramoro posted:

I've always played Blood Rage with drafting and it does help but it doesn't fix the issue that some cards are amazing and some are not. It's also the kinda of game where the winner keeps on winning so lucking into some amazing cards early on is not balanced out by an opponent getting them late game.

I think Blood Rage holds up initially pretty well to occasional playing, but I actually think it's a game that gets worse with repeated exposure (like I've recently had on BGA). There's just not enough under the hood. The Loki cards are very, very good and, generally speaking, don't require a ton of rage to get optimum value out of. Because of how limited rage is, it's REALLY hard to build a fighting engine that scores as high as a Loki strategy and while everyone can hate-draft Loki and spread him around at least... it still doesn't change the fact that the other gameplay isn't terribly engaging.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

Hey again I hope this is still on subject. I just unsubbed from MindClash's newsletter and told them I would not support Kickstarter and thus had no interest in their newsletter. Maybe if more of us did this we could make a point? Can't hurt right?

Did I miss something upthread? Did Mindclash do something specifically or are you just unfollowing any companies that give Kickstarter business?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Infinitum posted:

How's that? Representation?

You can hate on Auztralia if you look at its premise as the players being colonial British powers and the Great Old Ones being representative of the indigenous peoples of Australia. There's a little bit of yikes there. That said, the game does its best to distance itself from that interpretation and doesn't really PLAY like you're subjugating the natives as opposed to fighting off nasty tentacled nonsense while building rail and sheep farms. But I can see where folks could be sensitive about that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

PRADA SLUT posted:

I thought there was a fatwa against talking about Kickstarter/Blockchain

I won't even bother reporting this, but calling it a fatwa is pretty fatuous and goes a decent way to proving that you're exactly what other posters say you are.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Personally I don't particularly value riling people up in good faith, at least in the board game thread. Nor do I appreciate sarcastic responses to serious posts, but I choose not to take it personally.

I will clarify that the only person who mentioned wrongthink is me, and I have not been moderated, I just think the tone of the thread is heading in the wrong direction.

That's a whole lotta whoosh, bud.

The "two posters" who were being discussed by poopacy's response were pradaslut and jarofpiss, both of whom have a prob history replete with "just asking questions here - what's the big deal?" Take a look at it sometime and take a look at how frequent (as in, not at all) probes of other posters are in this thread and see if maybe, just maybe, you can discern a different pattern regarding what exactly is taking this thread in the wrong direction.

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 21, 2022

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Leraika posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for physically small and rules light games? And when I say physically small, I mean 'can fit into a standard purse'. I've usually got Tussie Mussie on hand, but wouldn't mind some more options (anyone have any experience with Button Shy's other games?).

This one's a little trickier to find as WYG has fallen on hard times, but Oddville is, imo, pound for pound one of the BEST rules light and physically small games that punches way above its weight class in terms of tough choices. Definitely fits in a purse.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So Sleeping Gods: Distant Skies is up on Gamefound and I'm debating grabbing the original game (Sleeping Gods )as well. I've never seen a game so polarizing among reviewers I generally respect - some really love it and call it groundbreaking, whereas others seem pretty meh on the game itself.

I've collected a lot of Laukat games and have yet to find one that 100% clicks for me - always beautiful art and some interesting mechanics, but the sum of the pieces never quite coming together (although I haven't gotten around to Near and Far / Empires of the Void II yet).

Naturally, I'm considering buying two more Laukat games with at least two unplayed in the hopper. Anyone a little more caught up on his work got thoughts on SG for me? :)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Talisman-making GBS threads can be in vogue, but a long time ago, it brought me a great deal of joy as an RPG gamer breaking into boardgames. It is many people's equivalent of comfort food - nobody's going to claim that mac and cheese from the box is high cuisine, but my hackles rise a little whenever someone looks down their nose at someone who expresses a fondness for it.

Love or hate Talisman, to each their own.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Infinitum posted:

I think it's more that they locked a ton of cool promos behind the $1 pm tier, and everyone was backing for those (I know I was)

Yeah, as much as I was planning to back at $1 for the reasons Mayveena mentions, the BGG thread on why people pledged $1 tells me that I was in, by far, the minority of $1 pledgers in terms of my motivations. Most of 'em just were unsure about a Luciani 4x game but wanted to supplement all their other cool Cranio purchases with a bunch of new and exclusive promos being offered at the $1 tier.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Radioactive Toy posted:

I'm necro-ing a post from the previous thread:

I came across this game and I feel slightly intrigued, seeing as how it is trying a take on a "coop 4x" which interests me. I haven't seen anyone else in here talk about it much as it was an expensive, overproduced kickstarter game from a few years ago. Wondering if you played any more of it and have some updated thoughts?

I've played another couple of games and I think I've got a pretty good grip on it. It's a co-op 4x with an interesting problem where you've got a central empire in the middle of the map expanding out towards you and the forces of chaos converging in at you and you have to manipulate player scores by beating up on both so that all players are above the scores of both Chaos and Empire at game end -- if either Chaos or Empire scores more than any player, then everyone loses. To make things even more interesting, Chaos and Empire do NOT get along and will clash and potentially score points off one another if you don't intercept them -- which, in some instances, you don't WANT to do as you may be okay with a low-scoring Chaos picking off a dominant Empire legion or two to save you the troops and effort of trimming that particular branch of their tree.

I like it - great pulpy art style, some smart mechanics, and a fun little co-op. NOW, for the negatives, it's VERY dice-swingy and that can be a deal-breaker for some folks. There were a couple of crucial rolls where my partner and I re-rolled illegally because a bad roll would have absolutely decimated our game. And that sucks. The new expansion they're funding on Gamefound seems to have SOME additional dice mitigation in the form of more re-rolls but that's definitely a problem with the base game. Also, the base game factions are pretty bland in their asymmetry. Either the already-existing expansion or the one that's being funded mix up the game in FAR more interesting ways than the base.

It's a like, not love game for me. There are definitely other games I'd rather MUCH rather play solo (there is no "true" solo - you have to at least two-hand it) but I definitely prefer it to, say, any Pandemic variant for co-op play.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Radioactive Toy posted:

I really appreciate the quick response here. I tried this on Tabletop Simulator (it has a really well-done mod) and it seems like the kind of game my wife and I would enjoy. I'm not adverse to dice swinginess, and I quite enjoy the look of the game. I'll have to do a bit of thinking before the campaign closes.

No problem - I think Uprising is probably better than I sold it as when I said I liked it, not loved it. I really like it and think it's a very solid first effort from a design team that really goes out of their way to communicate their love for their work and fans to their audience. Even with my misgivings, I'm definitely backing the current expansion on Gamefound. :)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

SettingSun posted:

Ok I'm addicted to Gaia Project. I can see it's like its predecessor and an experienced player can and will blow a novice out of the water. I'm still trying to figure out how to score well. I'm still at the stage where I feel accomplished breaking 100, but the dev said that winners will hover around 160. Some outlier games can even break 200. Someday...

For brief Gaia Project tips, so much of it is mapping an effective strategy from the start. Take a look at the two end-game victory point conditions, take a look at the round-end bonuses, and then look for a Faction well-situated to progress towards the former while taking good advantage of the latter. Also bear in mind what the bonus tiles are available as some factions can help shore up a type of income that may be lacking in the bonus tiles themselves. Where possible, try to take bonus tiles that will give you additional VP for your strategy (like grabbing the mines VP bonus tile whenever you can if you've regularly got 5 to 7 mines on the board).

I personally find Ivits (red faction who have tremendous advantages in terms of making federations and cosmic cube income) and either White faction to be innately very powerful and easy to build around -- much like Terra Mystica, if I'm playing a competitive game, I *absolutely* want an auction for factions as they are NOT equals, imo, although the randomized board setup and rotating endgame goals go a long way to making them more even than I thought the factions were on the base TM map.

It's a great game, one of the best imo, and a tremendous improvement on GP in every way. Now, if only it could get some expansion love...

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

the holy poopacy posted:

General consensus is that GP is better. I still have a soft spot for TM but it definitely does tend to be more same-y in high level play. GP does work better at lower player counts too but I don't know that I'd really be interested in either of them for 2p.

I personally don't believe that there is anything, excepting possibly theme, that Terra Mystica does that Gaia Project doesn't do better. And I've played a lot of both.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

This is not for public knowledge but the project manager for Rio Grande has been laid off and the owner wants nothing new.

Woof. And just after releasing a banger in Space Station Phoenix...

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
That's a bummer if it's Ken Hill. He's really steered them into releasing some great stuff lately.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

FirstAidKite posted:

That's not really a good defense, like at all

The heck do you care?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

SettingSun posted:

I keep getting obliterated in Gaia Project. I know how to play and I know how to score, and I just think my dumb brain won't let me strategize and think ahead. I think playing with friends turns my brain off or something. I feel like I need something akin to a coach. Still love the game despite the frustrations.

If you're serious about wanting a coach, I'd be happy to play a couple of BGA games with you and kind of walk through your decision-making process as much as you care to.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jewmanji posted:

Very weird value proposition. Why didn’t they just print a new version of the base game with a simplified rule set and some even simpler spirits? This feels like a really weird appendage.

One could say the same about Jaws of the Lion, but that turned out fine.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Dungeon Degenerates shares a lot of DNA with Eldritch Horror but it's also, imo, got far more engaging combat and a campaign/scenario system with a surprising amount of depth for a game that's otherwise pretty beer and pretzels. It also is one of my favorite visual presentations in my entire collection. Totally worthwhile grab, even for just a handful of plays so far.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Such mixed feelings on Return to Dark Tower now being available to buy again.

On the one hand, it's over-produced generic fantasy tripe where the flavor text is graham cracker at best. I played it at a friend's house once and thought, "There's not a whole lot of actual game here. This is basically Pandemic: Dark Tower."

...and yet, there's a weird allure to the all of that over-produced fantasy tripe. I sort of love the Tower and the App, even as I recognize that a better game might exist without them. Yet, not a better game I would be thinking as hard about buying as I am this one now that it's back on Backerkit.

Owners or non-owners, feel free to course-correct me before I make a decision I'll regret -- I'm just not sure whether backing or not backing is that decision. ;-)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Quote-Unquote posted:

I just ordered the base game, on the fence about the expansions. I know it looks generic as all hell but man, the tower gimmick got me. I know it will hit my table plenty of times (we have had a lot of mileage out of Talisman, after all).

Has anyone got experience using the app on a phone? All other app games I have (Descent 2e and Legends, Imperial Assault, Mansions of Madness and Gloomhaven) we play using a mini pc and a monitor, which doesn't appear to be an option here. I'd rather not buy a tablet that I would literally only use for this one game.

I played at my friend's house on a fairly large smartphone (like larger Android/Note-size) and it worked just fine.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Dog King posted:

What are the non-sexist words to describe a person with whom working is difficult

Tedious.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

canyoneer posted:

I think it was in some iteration of this thread where someone said you can describe almost every deckbuilder as "like Dominion, but worse because [...]" and I think about that often.

Last weekend I got to see my friend I made the Lost Ruins of Arnak insert for and play a round of it. Going to self-quote to show it off again. This is my second time playing it, and I was 5 points short of a win. The points salad style of game scoring really favors players who have played it multiple times. Seems like you really need to summit the research track if you want any chance at a top score. And yes, setup was very quick. Take out the little boxes, shuffle the cards and tiles, give every player their little box with the starter deck and tokens, distribute the reward tokens on the board randomly, done.

I like Arnak a fair amount now after HATING it on my first few plays on BGA, but that issue, to me, is the biggest downside of the game. It is a game that prioritizes, more than anything, the research/temple track and that can be a bit off-putting if you come into the game expecting it to be more about exploration and adventure on the expedition side of the board. All of the stuff on the left side of the board is SOLELY to give you resources to convert to pushing up the right side and if you think about the game a different way, you'll suffer for it.

Still think it's fun but it's a solid B game for me, mostly because I don't find the main focus of the game to be centered on what *I* want it to center on. The expansion, of course, doesn't really do anything to change this because it's a pretty core conceit.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Redundant posted:

That makes Bigney sound... kind of insufferable?

Feeling rage and loathing towards something that's average to play but pretty to look at is the type of overreaction that leads to the gnashing of teeth about Wingspan. Snobbery for the sake of self aggrandisement is kind of par for the course in the hobby space though so here we are.

He'd probably be the first to admit he's kind of insufferable. And often So Very Wrong.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Crackbone posted:

Bigney != Vasel, and if you can't parse why seek help.

I can't even get my head around implying that Bigney is a "bad actor" for... not condoning violence against abhorrent views and/or being an avowed capitalist? (I imagine he said the latter at least a little tongue-in-cheek).

The being cute about how Bigney is the certain podcaster who would call Eklund out for being a fascist is some really weak stuff also. One can rightly call out Eklund for being a fascist while also being of a mind that a predilection towards violence is a bit like joining the fascists rather than, erm, beating them. Comes off as internally consistent and calling someone a bad actor just because they don't agree with your choice of solutions isn't exactly good action in its own right.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

armorer posted:

I take it that the standee Oathsworn (base pledge) is 100% of the game content, and the other pledged are just for a ton more bling?

Correct. It's great bling, but having the cheaper option for people who value space or money is pretty nice. It's entirely complete with just the standees.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Looking for impressions on recently-released KS game Oak. Anyone played it (ideally more than once) and got a take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Glagha posted:

I like Everdell but the more I play it the more it feels like the worker placement bit is tacked on. You place so few workers in this worker placement game. Like, the placement is IMPORTANT but you make like what, 10 placements over the course of the entire game or something? (I don't remember I didn't count how many workers you actually get in the entire game)

15 in a normal game. Which is, whay, about a Grand Austria Hotel's worth? (Yes, GAH is dice selection, but whatever). Call it a Vinhos. It's not a pure WP game; it's a tableau builder that has a WP element. The fact that you can take and chain actions without using a single worker makes that pretty clear.

I won't go to bat for Everdell being the best game ever, but I think it's a very solid game, easily taught to new gamers and seats up to 6 pretty readily. The expansions let you tune the game's scarcity to your liking, with Spirecrest making the game harder and Newleaf happily giving you a ton of free toys.