Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the tories are so loving bad at knifing in the back lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
The worst part of all of this is seeing people on twitter post things like "Boris is FINISHED!" unironically for the 10th time this year. I know the Wiggle Out of This Jam bit is overdone but libs just go at it again and again and again...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Skull Servant posted:

Honestly? It'll probably work.

It's definitely work lol

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Her Dryer posted:

The worst part of all of this is seeing people on twitter post things like "Boris is FINISHED!" unironically for the 10th time this year. I know the Wiggle Out of This Jam bit is overdone but libs just go at it again and again and again...

It is incredible how many people still haven't realised that rules don't actually mean anything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They should go all the way and build an AI that can go to jail for you after the AI prosecutes you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It is incredible how many people still haven't realised that rules don't actually mean anything

rules do matter

if you say boris is a bullshitter, you're outta there

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The rules matter, the problem is that the rules are that Boris doesn't leave unless he wants to or enough of his own party hate him. The Opposition being Very Upset means absolutely nothing because they spent 4 years sabotaging Corbyn at every turn and handed the Tories a massive majority.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Reveilled posted:

Could you tell us a bit about that stuff? I don't think I've heard of Smart Contracts outside of a blockchain context, I had no idea they were a distinct thing from the NFT/Crypto poo poo.
Not really, I've only really got enough of a passing awareness of it to sound like I give a gently caress about where all the trendy research funding comes from in case I accidentally end up in a conversation with some of my bosses.

Basically though the way the term is used in legal research it refers to any kind of self-regulating digital transactions. So, yeah you've got all the crypto poo poo, but much more practically you've got stuff like retailers having automated systems to track stock & place orders (so, a huge volume of automated "smart" transactions taking place within the context of a broader "analogue" contract). It gets interesting legally when you've got computers making decisions about stuff that affects people: so, for example, Amazon uses automated systems to monitor their employees, & those systems have the power to fire people. But, employers & employees owe one another a limited duty of good faith, which a computer just can't implement, so liability gets a bit messy where the decision is automated. It's all very theoretical atm though, we don't have much case law on it, I plan to do some research on it at some point in the future but right now there isn't much, owing to loving blockchains.

Wrt automation, the theory is that a lot of disputes in "analogue" commercial contracts could be avoided by essentially automating the entire contracting process. I'm kind of speculating here as I haven't read anything much on it, but that could mean something like: the parties to (say) a construction contract enter in their parameters in ConstructionContractAutomater.exe, and the computer basically says what to do - there's no question of interpretation, since the computer is doing all of that, & if (say) a delivery of materials is an hour late the computer is just like "pay £x in liquidated damages", with less room to say "oh but one hour isn't a material delay so I shouldn't have to pay", because you've all agreed on what's gone onto the computer & that what the computer says goes.

I have no idea how feasible that is in practice, because I haven't looked into it & it's very theoretical atm anyway. My gut instinct is that it probably would reduce low-level disputes, but that the really expensive litigation would still happen because there's just so many grey areas in contract law that a computer couldn't account for, and I can't really see the courts giving completely unrestricted effect to a contract term saying "what the computer says goes, end off, full stop". However, the courts in general have been taking a massive swing towards literalism lately, so who knows :shrug:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Good for Blackford not playing along with the stupid Westminster decorum rules. Rest of the SNP should follow him out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it difficult to imagine that if someone was annoyed enough or had enough money to throw at lawyers that they would actually just accept "the computer said so" as an excuse.

Just seems like slightly different flavoured way to translate money into power tbh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That Tory emotionally telling how he had to not hug his grieving family and angrily demanding to know if that makes him a fool to Johnson was pretty spicy

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

I find it difficult to imagine that if someone was annoyed enough or had enough money to throw at lawyers that they would actually just accept "the computer said so" as an excuse.

Just seems like slightly different flavoured way to translate money into power tbh.
Pretty much

That kind of thing would only really work for your major commercial contracts though, & where you've got big companies, people tend to be a lot more dispassionate about their decisions since it doesn't affect them personally. And, I cannot overstate enough how much certainty is fetishised in commercial law. So yeah, I can see it working at low level - until there's enough £000s at stake

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

what a dweeb

WHAT!!!

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 31, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That quip about drug use on the Labour front bench, I guess the Tories have dirt on someone. Any idea who?

e: the question and answer: https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1488193556439252996

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 31, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1488190615724732421

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

fuctifino posted:

That quip about drug use on the Labour front bench, I guess the Tories have dirt on someone. Any idea who?

Starmer and the drug is Jenkem (own supply).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1488194786242793482

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 31, 2022

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So just to be clear: you can't call the PM a liar after a report says he's a liar, using evidence from the report to confirm that the PM lied.

But you can call the opposition a bunch of druggies.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

They all use 'disrupt' far too much so I assume it's going to create a bunch of new 'work hub' jobs wherever the work is cheapest and undermine a bunch of actuaries.

He's attending a work event at Millerovo this evening.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1488184076817342469

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Con(+20) next week.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Listening to this 1994 interview about GATT. Feels quite prescient in hindsight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwmOkaKh3-s

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tory MPs furious with Johnson for implying that being a nonce was bad

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This is indeed absolutely mental from those Tory MPs but also notable that time was given for Labour MPs to essentially say "Nah this is all confected rage nonsense from the Tories, they can gently caress off".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Sam Coates on Sky News having fun presenting this report

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The only way that Boris is going to leave Downing Street is if he's dragged out there in the same way Assange was dragged out of the Ecuadorian embassy, so I guess we are going to see more drip-feeding of scandals and photos by the media and his Tory rivals.

"Maybe this one last scandal will be enough to make him go?"....

I think we're going to be stuck with him for a while.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

learnincurve posted:

Friends, I’m here to give you all a link that will seem like usual dull Tory propaganda shite then fill you with fire and rage the end.

https://news.sky.com/story/is-your-job-at-risk-the-roles-most-likely-to-be-moved-out-of-the-uk-due-to-remote-working-12527495

This part of the article is the funniest poo poo:

article posted:

Remote work 'like chocolate'

"My metaphor is: a five-year-old will simultaneously be sick for eating too much chocolate whilst asking for more chocolate," he said.

"And at some point, someone's got to step in and say 'no, if you eat more chocolate you'll carry on being sick and that's not good for you'.

"We're sort of at that point a bit.

"And at the moment, everyone's worried that if they're the one that says 'no stop eating chocolate', the child will resign."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do hope that wfh keeps happening and it crashes the rental market.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mark Freebairn is the perfect name for someone that goes around observing the chocolate habits of unattended children but he should probably stop because it's a bit sus.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I wonder how many of the galaxy brains out there have considered that if a company could move their operations overseas to utilise cheaper labour, they would already have done so, WFH or not.

Combined with the issue that there are a number of Jobs that are legally not allowed to be done overseas.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1488203069997436929

She looks drunk. She can barely stand still....

https://twitter.com/JRsArmchair/status/1488209388246548485

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 31, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You could easily outsource your legislature overseas. Why pay MPs £80k plus expenses when we could simply elect a Parliament in Mexico who'd do the job for £25k a head? Sell the Palace of Westminster to a property developer and just rent them a coworking space in Oaxaca or something.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They're right though, the last thing I would want if I was running a company was for all my child employees to resign.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

lol slurring too

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You need to drive around to their homes and offer them chocolate that's in your car.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Go_SYH_In_A_Pig/status/1488212871234428933

e: https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1488212967544000517
I'm looking forward to the slow trickle.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 31, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We might never see the result if it depends on the met being able to read five hundred whole pieces of paper.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Don't worry they can just look at the pictures

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gove's PPS has resigned
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1488213724510969859

1922 committee sounds like fun
https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1488222015484006414

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot