Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Question IRL posted:

It's a great song. Plus it helped me answer a question in a table quiz one time. ("What Star Sign would you be if you were born on the 25th of December?")

Life of Brian taught me that.

"Capricorn, eh? Well what are they like?"

"He is our Messiah, King of the Jews."

"...and that's Capricorn, is it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

I've been on this train, very big and comfy. Had a car that was decked out like a 50s diner, selling this brown caramelised cheese on a waffle. Had another car that was a soft play area where you could dump your kids. 10 out of 10.

I wonder how often people get off the train and leave their kids in the soft play. Accidentally or otherwise.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

So it's just some quack bullshit?

Duck fat.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Harriet Harman's husband who was apparently also a Labour MP has died.

By-election to follow, presumably uncontested due to a death?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

the Chesham and Amersham by-election happened because the Tory incumbent popped her clogs

Oh yeah.

Starmer's yet to have an "easy win" so let's see how he gets on. Maybe he'll concede that the Lib Dems are best placed to challenge the Tories.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kieth and Wes in a phone box hugging flags while Luke Akehurst (the One Member with One Vote) blogs about how at least 50% of the PLP are secret trots and need to be driven out in order for Labour to win again.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

so have you figured out a term for when boris fucks off? I'd be slightly disappointed if it ends up being 'borixit'

Boris Goneson

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

If you invented a machine that rapidly stuffed monarchs through a crown, you could legislate at close to the speed of light.

Simply liquidise the monarchs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right but if I were to ask you, specifically, to prove the earth was round how would you do it? As in with an experiment that could be done by you and maybe one other helper and with only tools available to a layperson?

Go to the seaside and point out ships disappearing from view from the bottom first as they go over the horizon because of the curvature of the Earth?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Wessex is good, bring back the Heptarchy, I want a wyvern flag.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1481924633490333699?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is exactly the book that made me interested in going this route

It's a shame OSC is such a shithead, really.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/jed_shed/status/1481267773217067013

BBC presenter saying there was no evidence of Jeremy Corbyn being an antisemite

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Good morning to the shadowy figures from the Labour thread on theforum365 who are lurking this thread right now. Hope you're having a fun time obsessing over my internet presence.

Love from your favourite crank cultist. X

e: And an extra hello to Prole if you're one of them doing some sort of weird bit to try to coax objectionable statements out of us for your inter-forum drama. That "Israeli spy" edit of yours earlier isn't quite on brand, calm it down maybe?

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 15, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I'm sorry, please elaborate. It's a Saturday & there's no (Scottish Premiership) football on so I need to fill the hole with drama.

This is a fun place to start, I suppose. Enjoy a thread full of terminal centrist Labour brain where anyone left of Brown is prima facie an antisemite.

https://www.theforum365.com/topic/250-official-labour-party-thread-not-as-deranged-as-we-used-to-be/?do=findComment&comment=3934969

Everyone else, do your best to not touch the poop. It can be intoxicating.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

The UKMT used to be all melts then they closed LF and the melts got ran out

It's calmed down since then, there's much less Mao-posting these days.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just when you think things can't get any worse, everyone starts doing, I dunno, poetry?

We should have just shut UKMT after the Smashmouth/Ozymandias mashup

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

My enduring memory of new labour was blair jumping ship the minute it looked like all the poo poo he'd been doing might catch up with him and then seemingly non stop poo poo coming up the entire time brown was in charge, so low rent tory boy club is exactly what I expect from this lot.

You'd think Blair leaving how/when he did and bequeathing Gordy a poisoned chalice would have coloured his acolytes opinions of him a bit. Fairly clear he'd have taken a kicking in 2010, maybe worse than Brown did. As it is, the mystique of the three-time winner prevails.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

If we accept that the BBC is a state mouthpiece that also, in its non-political programming, produces some excellent stuff, then I'd ask what we would actually gain by losing it? We'd lose the good stuff, but it's not like the 'independent' media isn't also stuffed full of Tories who'd do just as much to body any perceived left-wing threat. As far as I can see, minus the BBC we'd just be in exactly the same place we are now but with none of the niche documentaries etc and even more private control over the media landscape. Hardly any great victory really. The only big problem with the organisation (relative to any other media org) is that we're conditioned to see it as this completely impartial, trustworthy source, but surely we can challenge that without tearing the whole thing down?

I don't know, I don't really care with a capital C, but I'd miss a lot of the BBC's output if it was gone.

The point I suppose is that people itt are not generally advocating its removal, but also not proposing to expend serious energy in defending it. You're right that the BBC disappearing wouldnt be a "great victory" but I'm also not going to lose any sleep over it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I don't know why Coogan is playing that role tbh, seems like a horrible decision by everyone involved

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Give it Corbseh 'til end of season

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Liz Truss has great qualifications for PM

PM stands for Pork Markets right?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/mish_rahman/status/1483489487959302145

150,000 gone since the advent of Kieth

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Borrovan posted:

No, they're broadly to the right of Welsh Labour ime. Candidates mostly range from socdem to lib, & if that wasn't enough range for you the membership includes a lot of actual fash (they've had a few fash elected officials too, but all the ones I know of were chucked out)

e: the former-Plaid independent MS number

Leanne Wood was nice though

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

domhal posted:

Is getting elected as a Conservative and then defecting easier then getting through Labour's centralized candidate selection processes?

One weird trick to bypass the "no supporting parties which ran against Labour in the previous X months" rule.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

On the flipside, you very rarely get an opportunity to kick out a sitting PM. Gotta take em where you can.

Hard to argue that either Cameron->May or May->Johnson were upgrades.

Very funny at the time, but that's about it.

Of course, in the dark future of 2022 politics, banter is often its own reward.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I call it Londonbury

(pronounced "lumbree")

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Prole posted:

Hahahaha! Christian Wakeford on Sky News saying his politics haven't changed, that he's "still a moderate and a centrist but with a different colour rosette"... Thanks for saying the quiet part out loud, Chris. Amazing.

Love too moderately deport black people in a centrist manner for the blue red politics team.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

The Tory definition of 'odd things' in a sexual sense is probably either really vanilla or really messed up.

It's vague, where "filmed being pissed on by three blokes" is specific.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

We're hosed in a couple of months when the clocks go forward then.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Dom Joly introduced my band (bassist was some vague relative) at a thing one time back when he was theoretically still riding high off the back of Trigger Happy and let me tell you, a big room full of teenagers was anything but impressed.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The NEC predictably did not vote to readmit Corbyn.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/LauraPidcock/status/1486390792692408321?t=ZIj3sP6U1Gc1lvE9ARrpQw&s=19

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sinky posted:

Yum, more Operation Red Meat for Big Dog
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1486492825101426694?s=20

gently caress I hate tories so much

Rachel Reeves to criticise this for not going far enough in 3... 2... 1...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Prole posted:

Something tells me we've got a hell of a weekend of politics shithousery ahead. Forde is (apparently) leaking, Gray is being published, there's "big news" about lockdown parties still to come... Absolute glutton for this poo poo, me.

What are you basing this on?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Just realised this is a good place to ask: does anyone know where I can find a good benefits calculator, or a charity that can help work this stuff out? Situation's a bit complicated, since I'm earning decent money but also technically a student & disabled, my partner's on a fully funded PhD (only counts as work/income where that disadvantages you, generally), & the baby's an unemployed scrounger who still owes me £20 from the birth certificate

The gov.uk site is usually pretty good at walking through everything that does/doesn't affect your benefits.

Other than that, MoneySavingExpert is a good resource for all sorts of things. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/benefits-check/

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Noxville posted:

Yikes

Going from almost 4/5 of the Muslim vote to 2/5

I'm sure we'll have a years-long media outcry about why both the Labour and Tory leaders are driving Muslims away from their respective parties, failing to deal with the issue, need to apologise, etc. Maybe even an investigation?

I'll wait.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bobstar posted:

I feel like this could be one of those galaxy brain memes, with progressively more understanding of the political system. With the last one being "move to your preferred party leader's constituency so you can vote for the prime minister"

Stand for election and vote for yourself so you can have the otherwise-unattainable satisfaction of voting for someone who represents your personal beliefs 100%

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Spangly A posted:

Inflation is a number that should be 2%...

Oh god I'm having flashbacks

https://twitter.com/ARossP/status/1259218478671806464?s=20&t=5-KQGfevnW__p6MPjzIb3g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

SCG is splitting with eleven of the meltier members off to do some new bullshit.

Disappointing but not surprising. Hopefully the remaining ones do something interesting, but they won't. So loving passive.