Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jedit posted:

I forget who wrote it, but there's a song or poem that sums it up:

Jesus said to help the poor
And love your fellow men
If he came back to Earth today
They'd nail him up again

I think the song you are thinking of is Jesus was a Capricorn by Kris Kristofferson.

Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food
He believed in love and peace
And never wore no shoes

Long hair, beard and sandals
And a funky bunch of friends
Reckon may just nail Him up
If He come down again

It's a great song. Plus it helped me answer a question in a table quiz one time. ("What Star Sign would you be if you were born on the 25th of December?")

No doubt the main lesson he learned was to campaign for building an English Webway.
Before getting smacked around by Bo'ris Johnson and Leman Russ Mogg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I always wondered why the church didn't observe the birth of Jesus at (or just before) Easter. The gospel accounts all seem to take place around spring and it would have fit better into the birth and resurrection as parallels thing.

(other than all the popular 'replacing Saturnalia/Sol Invictus' reasons)

I read an article that talked about this.

Apparently the Church were big into the idea of Saints having Perfect Lives (which in this case meant they were born and died on the same date.)

I think that it got so overdone they didn't want to have big J get tangled up with that fad.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Introduce xenomorphs as an invasive species to keep the Predator population down

You joke, but the end of that train of thought I "get loads of Ripley in Power Loaders on every street at night."

And honestly, that probably would make women safer.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

I wonder if it's just confirmation bias on my part, or if this sentiment is becoming much more common and visible? I feel like in the last few months I've seen more and more people saying this and denouncing crypto. Until fairly recently I had assumed that it must have some actual value/purpose beyond speculation that I was just too dumb to understand

So I had a think about Cryptos and in particular NFT's and then I saw this tweet on fellow Goon, Slowbeefs twitter timeline which crystallised something I had been thinking.

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/1477812303726850048?t=7fI4G_TqgIHf4UC6j_W0kw&s=19

(Background for those who care, Slowbeef was arguing with some techbro about NFTs. Said techbro cited his CV in a multibillion dollar company that only failed because they got to the market before Cryptos were established. Slowbeef points out the company was Theranos.)

But it made me think back to reading Bad Blood (an excellent book on Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.)

And the maddest part about it was Holmes clearly believed her product would work. She knew it didn't, but her end goal switched from "make it actually do something" to
"Get us established as a name for long enough that no one will ever question if we work or not. Then maybe make it actually work."

And that is what Crypto has done and what NFT wants to do. Move the discussion away from "Wait, why do I use this, it's awful?" To "look we almost have the energy problem cracked."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Cheer up a Potter fan in your life by reminding them that they live in the magical wizarding world of Harry Potter already, they're just one of the non-magical folk that the wizards decided are a lower form of life and have left to die cold, alone and afraid in a dying world while they live in a gated community run by slaves and literally magic away all of their problems.

Not to defend the books (they are just not good on a critical level. They are so tied into a school term structure that the plot can't advance naturally and each plot can only be finished by terms end.) But it's Cannon in the books that Magical people are a higher life form.
To cast spells you have to be a Pureblood or a Mudblood. But also your body is literally superior to a human. (That's why the Wizards can be knocked off flying brooms and only suffer mild injuries or get poisoned by magical creatures in ways that would straight up kill normal humans.)
It is hugely problematic, but it's consistent in it's internal structure.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Deketh posted:

My favourite series in the past have been things like The Sopranos, The Wire, The Expanse, BSG, stuff like that. Never been mad on UK shows outside of a few exceptions. I wanted to check out The Witcher and the Wheel of Time but they're on different providers, argh.
Thought about prime but the delivery would probably encourage me to buy more poo poo from Amazon.

I'm either old or stupid cos that sounds way too complicated for me. Ha, thank you though :)

Sounds like Netflix might be the simplest and best option for me then, thanks guys

As an outside option can I also suggest All4. It's Channel 4's streaming service. There are tiers to it but the free tier doesn't have that many ads and you do get quite a number of Box Sets (not just for Channel 4 programs. They have a number of good shows from the US/Canada/Auzzie Land.)

Try that along with your choice of Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus or Now. Try one for a few months and you can cancel or continue.

With Now there is a separate package for TV programs (Entertainment) and films (Movie.) But they normally let you do a reduced rate for the first few months (if you buy a Now TV stick they often give you two months of one of their packages.) And if you cancel near the end of your subscription they let you sign back at a reduced price. As far as I can tell, there is no limit to the amount of time you can do this.

Myself I use Prime Video (since it comes free with my home Internet package.) Disney Plus and Netflix but that's shared with the other people in the house. I used Now for a few months before dropping it. And I dip in and out of All4, especially since they put up this season of The Good Fight.
Personally look at all four services and see what you want. But also go with All4 since it free.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 5, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

Serious answer for streaming services : ask your friends and family if you can just use their accounts. None of the big names seem to really give too much of a poo poo about account sharing, so long as you're not taking the piss.

This makes me think of that excellent photoshop someone did of the Council of Elrond but with Streaming Sites. Sadly I can't find it online.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Angepain posted:

Why was it just those four that were put on trial, anyway? Are those the ones the police managed to track down or the ones who were willing to contest it in court or what

Judging by the last few years of world events it's probably because there was a YouTube video that went
"What's up folks, it's your boi, Rhian.
I'm here at this protest against the staute of Colston at Bristol and we are going to pull the whole thing down.
Before I do this, I would like to say to my viewers that at this point I have specifically formed the Mens Rea for criminal damage in my head.
All right, let's do this! Sage! Milo! Jake! Help me push."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Honestly that result in the Colston trial is loving incredible. Yet another reminder of how brilliant a jury based system is.

So jury trials are something that is super rare in the world.
Pretty much the only places that use them are common law jurisdictions and even then it's not for all offences.
Though for every case where a jury makes the decision not to convict in the face of overwhelming evidence because it's the right thing to do, you get cases like John Thiery being acquited of using racist language by a jury of 12 people who I am sure showed up to court wearing England jearseys.

I've heard a few stories from jurors about how they went about their deliberations.
That was one time I did not want to see how the sausage got made.
Going to jury trial is a complete roll of the dice as to results.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"So you're striking because it's absolutely amoral?"

"No, we're striking because we don't want to be liable for the murders."

Ah, cool. Border force still cunts.

Um they say in the article that they oppose the policy on moral and ethical grounds.
They are bringing the legal challenge on the basis it could open them up to court action if they followed it, but they make it very clear that the policy is wrong (not to mention that it erodes a central tennant of maritime law/ethics being to save lives.)

It's just that you never lead a legal case with an argument about morality.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It implies that the medical exemption letter is probably "Donald TrumpNovak Djokovic has the goodest health ever and naturally produces every vaccine, A. Doctor"

Oh absolutely. And Djokovic seems bull headed enough to go to court with evidence as flimsy as that and still think he'd win because that's just what he would do.

It's also possible that the medical exemption he is talking about is the fact the he had Covid within six months. Now this is something that he hadn't previously disclosed but he had apparently got Covid and recovered (though I can't find the date of his previous confirmed case.)
Now honestly if it were me and I got Covid once, I think that would make me want to get a vaccine. But look Djokovic is a professional athlete. It's not like he relies on his body being in top physical condition.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Have you considered the fact that jocks are dumb?

No, a lot of jocks are just really focused on doing one or two things and know when to trust someone else to advice them at areas they aren't good at. They particularly work well when there are teams of them playing together and they support each other by putting aside personal beliefs for the greater good to accomplish great things. Meanwhile Novak is doing his Liberterian, cod-medical focus on what he wants to do and ignoring societies overall rules.

It's all about the individual over the group.

In short Djokovic is dumb, Jocks aren't dumb.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Premiership footballers are less than 50% vaccinated - and are definitely selfish and dumb as poo poo, on average.

(Interestingly Italian players are almost 100% vaccinated but then the Italian government has been much more robust in pushing the vaccines and is apparently about to actually go into full "Yeah you don't leave the house if you're not vaccinated" mode)

Italy's covid rules also led to this story.

Italian man tries to dodge Covid vaccine with fake arm https://jrnl.ie/5619489

Like part of me is amazed at how people are willing to go to such lengths over just getting a vaccine.
Like I know your brain is broken but surely it's easier (and cheaper) to get the vaccine for real as opposed to trying to commit fraud.

Them again I felt a similar way when people earlier in the thread were talking about getting Plexes, VPN's and sharing systems to download movies and TV's as opposed to just getting a subscription to Netflix.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I do think it's worth bearing in mind that there are sometimes perfectly legitimate reasons for instinctive vaccine hesitancy, particularly amongst certain demographics. I very much doubt there's anything particularly nefarious happening with the covid shots beyond neoliberalism.txt, but I would be wary of writing off those anxieties as purely the product of stupidity or selfishness. (though they obviously are also factors)

They are absolutely some people who have legitimate reasons for not being vaccinated (usually immuno compromised or some medical history of blood cloting.)

But you are talking about a tiny, tiny number of people, much smaller than the number of actually unvaccinated people. Most of the ones who aren't vaccinated are dickheads. And what's worse (apart from the fact that they are spreading the disease and hurting other people. Because you know if they are refusing to get vaccinated they aren't going to be practicing proper hygiene. ) is they also make it so much harder for the people who genuinely can't get vaccinated.

Edit: Heron pays the animal tax.
Saw this big boy on the streets on the last week outside my old job.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 6, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Yeah if it was JUST get a Netflix subscription people would do that, and did when they had p much everything. The fact that everyone and their dog has their hand out for a separate subscription to see their content Is why piracy is back. Both cost and convenience because with Plex its all in one place.

Oh I get the frustration at how some series that were once on Netflix (particularly when they were the only game in town) being moved to another service. And I understand people not wanting to pay for multiple services.

It's just when I hear people talk about setting up their own personal servers and "all" it requires are a portable hard drive linked onto a network, a VPN, maybe some cables, a way of streaming it onto your TV etc...I just tap out.

I just don't have the time or effort to go through all that. I'll just pay for Netflix or Disney Plus and use that. And if they thing just isn't on any platform and it won't be out for ages, I will "get my cousin in the States to record it and ship me the VHS tape" and stick it on a USB on the TV.
But that's more of a once off thing. Setting up my own media server and trying to maintain it looks like way to much work and hassle to justify it.
Just like the hassle in getting black market vaccine Certs as opposed to, you know, getting the vaccine.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

It's really easy if you know what you're doing, and only mildly difficult if you don't.

I mean, it really doesn't matter, I guess I just find it weird that you thought it was the nearest comparison to a guy using a fake arm to avoid getting vaccinated, which is genuine hilarious looney tunes rube goldberg poo poo

I'm not saying they are a 1:1 comparison, since piracy only effects you while not getting vaccinated effects society. And also one alternative solution is effective and the other is not.

Where I do see a comparison is if you break it down into a problem/solution situation.

Example 1.
Problem: In Italy to do most things in public, you need a vaccine cert.

Simple solution: Get vaccinated and they give you a cert.
Complex solution: Bring along fake arms and pretend to get vaccinated so you have a false vaccine cert.

Example 2.
Problem: A poster asks if he should get a streaming subscription to watch stuff on his TV.

Simple Solution: Pick Netflix/Prime Video/ Disney+. Try it out for a month to see if you like it.
Complex solution: Build your own media server and stream the contents to your TV. Here is a multiple step by step guide on how to do so....

In both cases they are more complicated solutions (and in the case of the streaming, if you get it working it will solve your problem without creating too many additional ones. The same cannot be said by el fakeo Armstrong.)
My point is, why go to all that trouble when a much simpler solution exists? You may not see setting up a server as being that hard. But is it something that you could see your parent doing?
I have to setup a Now TV subscription I got my Dad as a Christmas gift for him. And all that entails is putting some info on a website and plugging a stick into a TV. But I know he couldn't do it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

feedmegin posted:

As all of us keep telling you over and over, it's because picking even all three of those only gets you half the content these days (and I note this is moving the goalposts from your 'just get Netflix' and updating your what tenner a month outlay to more like 40 to still not get half the things you might want to watch).

I didn't say "get all three/four" streaming services per month. (I mean you can if you can afford it.)
What I was saying was if you want entertainment, just pick one streaming service and watch what you want on it. If you pick any of those services there is easily a few months worth of entertainment on it. You just signed up for Netflix? Try out the Witcher, Umbrella Accademy and Stranger Things.

If you want to watch specific shows and they are on different streaming platforms, just prioritize which one is easiest to get with the service you have and you can always watch the other shows when you switch providers a few months down the line. You want to watch the Boys and the Expanse? They'll be waiting for you on Prime Video whenever you sign up.

But if you really can't wait, sure go ahead and pirate it so you can have it now.

But it really doesn't seem that convenient to setup a personal media server, download a bunch of shows to have them ready. If it's a show that's not on any service, I get that. But going "A Netflix subscription is no longer the perfectly optimum return of money to entertainment. So now I'll just pirate everything I want from all of them" seems strange.

Between work and a new baby, the wife and I only have like an hour to two a day to watch stuff. So we just focus on one or two series at a time, which helps us to no longer have huge libraries of material to chose from and then spending half an hour trying to choose what to watch.
It's sort of a "want the stuff you have, not want more stuff that you then don't really use."

I also think the earlier post about computer touchers seeing all problems as requiring technical solutions that are simple (to them) rings very true.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Lower Decks is really good, would definitely recommend. Way better than Discovery, which is fun in places but really suffers from a need to be super cinematic at all times and have tons of big set piece action scenes. Nobody is going into Star Trek wanting more cool explosions. Some of the best episodes of TNG involved basically nothing happening but Data looking after a cat while Troi and Crusher moaned about men over ice cream sundaes and Picard had a wild time with a haunted alien flute.

So this reminds me of Picard which was the most disappointing Star Trek series I've watched. I won't do a full breakdown, but the best part of the show was the episode where Picard, Riker and Troi basically sit down and have dinner in Riker's Itallian style villa. Because it feels like old friends catching up and is really good.

The worst part of the show was Spending an entire season inserting the Borg into the plot, having them end up on the same planet where all bug plot stuff is happening.
And then when the Reapers from Mass Effect show up to do a huge "Organics versus Artificial life" plot, you don't have the Borg be brought in as a way to resolve this conflict?
like what was even the point in bringing the Borg along if they aren't going to interact with the main story?

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, I know TQIRL says

and I'm sure if the case was even halfway decently put together then the cookbook was just the assumed means and the thousands of nazi hate documents were the assumed motive, but the subsequent coverage of that is very off.

Probably because the English press can say "he had a book that says to put match heads in a tennis ball, terrible" with a lot more heart in their outrage than "he had hundreds of poorly researched thunkpieces that said that immigrants and Muslims are the cause of all Western ills."

I think you have a correct view of this. As strange as it sounds, having hundreds of racist, dumb books makes you look like an rear end in a top hat. But not necessarily a crime.
Rather than go down a legal grey area of asking the court to assign "is this book sedation inspiring?" Just use it as an aggravating material where you can prowecute them for having a book that is marked as "terrorist material."

I know it comes up over here in Special Criminal Court for trials on people being Members of the IRA where having certain specific books like The Green Book (which I think is more of a pamphlets) are likely to get you convicted. Even though there would almost certainly be more up to date information that you could find using YouTube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Book_(IRA)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

I reckon if they're all juicing then it's fine. Juice them up and let's see some quality tennis. But if they're not all doing it then yeah it's bad

The problem with the "sure go nuts, do all the juicing you want" is people aren't going to all stick with the same stuff.
If everyone us is using the same stuff, then people will decide to kick into harder and harder stuff.
It becomes an arms race, and it ends up with people taking Gamma infused venom where they cut their life spans to ten years, but they get the gains.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Niric posted:

Somewhere in deepest, darkest Didcot, there's a ceiling ablaze with colour, with bold experiments in composition, with historically literate but endlessly playful engagement with signs and signifiers, enough for centuries of critical interpretation and reinterpretation.

Except, you know, it's Sonic loving the cast of Disney's robin hood

Decades, nay centuries, from now the ceiling becomes famous. Tourists flock from the world over to marvel at this piece of art. Tours are conducted and information freely given.
One day a doctor comes in. Man? Woman? Who is to say.
All we know is they have healing hands, and have devoted their life to curing the bodies of others.
They go to see this artwork to relax. But as they look at it, they can't help but make an observation. It seems ludicrous to them. Surely I can't be seeing this. It's so obvious, everyone else must have seen it to.
But no, nobody else has made this comment. Something so obvious in hindsight. They say it outloud and it changes everything.

It adds a new depth to the subject-matter, moving from the divine metaphor of the art to an obvious link to the physical world and the human body. Something that forever changes the way this artwork is views.

"Is the background in the shape of a dick and balls?"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lungboy posted:

An apparently good (Ianal) article on the Colsten judgement https://thesecretbarrister.com/2022...ou-should-know/

That is a very good article that sums up the Colsten verdict.

One part I do find amusing is how the author says this verdict supports his belief that jurors should be allowed explain how and why they came to their conclusions.

The exact same week that two jurors in America doing so will most likely lead to Madam Maxwell's convictions being overturned.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1479378720137920513

I would bet money that at least one of my learned friends (in that they are every bit as much a barrister as I am) behind that Spectator article believed that Tony Martin was reasonable and justified in thinking there were ninja assassins or whatever on his farm when he shot those intruders.

But of course their values are just common sense, and it's only 'values' when it's someone else doing it.

Fun fact: In the English legal system you can refer to a fellow lawyer as a Learned Friend or College.

Where as in Ireland if you are a lawyer it only counts towards Solicitors.
(I have seen more than one occasion where a newly minted Barrister in a speech will refer to their opposite number as "my learned friend" only for the more experienced Judge to remind them that is only a method of reference between solicitors.)
Barristers in court are supposed to just refer to each other as friend.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I saw this on Twitter this week.

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1479098566731726852?t=0-JStP-0m4Jl2pl87xzRfg&s=19

Did the thread miss this? Did BoJo try and suggest that the reason he had to have number 10 done up was because Theresa May thrashed the place before she left?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ruth Davidson also turned on him

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1480850278467440644?s=20

I think part of it is Johnson seems to have had teflon skin for decades in a way that no replacement will. So while he has been getting away with shite and people defending him saying 'he's doing the best he can in a difficult situation', others won't get away with that.

In Ireland during the Celtic Tiger the leader of the country was Bertie Ahern. A man known as the Teflon Taoiseach because no scandal ever stuck to him.
The thing my dad always said was "the funny thing about Teflon is, nothing sticks to it. Until you take a knife to it. When you make a big enough scratch on it, the Teflon just comes off and it never works properly again."
And politically (if not scientifically) he's right. Once Bertie got screwed over enough times his reputation fell apart to such an extent that any time he tried to make a comeback people rounded on him. (As one of my mates said "it got so bad, Bertie got barred from his local pub." That's how you know his reputation was 86ed.)

quote:

I think also that one of the reasons this is re-sounding (shut it... ) so much is that many people probably have a look round and see a lot of governments struggling with covid, don't have any idea what could be done differently. But this, blatant disregard of a law the tories made, that made life very difficult for many people particularly those with elderly, sick and dying relatives, and promptly stuck their fingers up at all the plebs is something that anyone can see is inexcusable.

I think the reason why this is sticking (apart from the media latching onto it and having enough information to keep drip feeding it out for weeks. And that it's a simple enough scandal for people to get.) is all the stories on social media from people who lost relatives and not being able to see them during the lockdown, while this scarecrow kept partying.

Powerful image that.

https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD/status/1480902314567389188?s=20

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It's a massive world wide elitist conspiracy to hide the existence of God.

I remember listening to wrestler Chris Jericho's podcast and he generally had a bunch of different people on to air a wide range of views.
In one podcast he had two flat earthers on*
And apart from the fact that the two flat earthers couldn't fully agree on all the details (and would often when asked to explain things give an answer that sounded plausible until you started thinking about it. Then just say "go view this video on YouTube, it explains it better than I could.")
I think the main idea was

• The Earth is flat.
  • But we are surrounded by an Ice Shell.
  • Past the Ice Shell is where the stars are. and they are just balls of gas and light.
  • Also the Earth is hallow and the real Earth is in this hallow Earth, which I guess is underneath the flat Earth.
  • This is being done by " the Elites" to control us and limit us from accessing our true godlike powers.
  • "The elites" are all powerful and control everything. But they have to make you do what they want and provide cryptic clues in advance because they are all the Riddler, I guess.

Oh and you can tell that Jericho had to cutoff the guests before they could say that the Elited were Jews.

Funnily enough he had them back on in early 2020 to talk about how Covid was a false flag by the Elites to control us, and healthy people who only eat meat will be fine.
Then by the next episode lockdowns were happening and he had a real doctor on to give good health advice and said the guys from the precious show were idiots.

*= Who kept calling people who believed in a round Earth "ballers." And frankly when your derogatory term for the people who don't believe what you believe makes them sound cooler than you, you are on to a losing streak.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

All I'm saying is #freebritney was a fringe conspiracy theory until it wasn't, so maybe avril lavine really was replaced with a lookalike.

But Free Britney had a logical reasoning behind it.
Her father and other people were controlling her to steal her money. That's horrible but it makes sense.

The "Avril Lavine died in 2003 thing" requires her to have died of an accident. But the record label had a bunch of her songs to release and decided it was better to have a fake Avril Lavine made to keep up the air rather than admit she ever died. Like it moves from a conspiracy to a conspiracy to keep a cover up going.
And it's not like Avril Lavine has been some multimillion dollar money making machine since 2003.

forkboy84 posted:

IMO this would really he a waste of cloning tech. Not sure popstars would be the first people I'd clone.

But this documentary accurately explained it all. And how clones don't have belly buttons so you can tell them apart from real people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JTdAUv9Uik

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 13, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That's where I am with it. Comet hits ice sheet, causes rapid flood, here's the evidence. Cool.

Flood wipes out human civilization, OK I can buy that.

That civilization was Atlantis. Yeah a little woo woo but whatever.

The atlanteans were interdimensional beings who built the pyramids with the power of DMT. AND I AM A REAL ARCHAEOLOGIST STOP LAUGHING.

The thing about including Atlantis in any of your ancient conspiracy theories is Atlantis first written mentioned is believed to be one of the dialogues of Plato. A man who regularly invented people to say the things he wanted them to say but wrote it as "this totally happened to me on Saturday night."

It would be like future social historians trying to chronicle the tales of the "Dear Penthouse" letters.

Now if I was going to follow any ancient conspiracy it would be ancient astronauts/Earth was seeded with life by human colonisers from another world.
It's crazy, but involves far less information suppression to work.
(Ancient astronauts land. They help uplift the natives. Make sure to not leave any future technology behind. Die out.)
And it sort of explains why so many similar myths arise all over the globe thousands of miles and years apart.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Was Plato the first person to make up a guy to get mad at?

Nah it was some dude in a cave who got really mad at a made up Woolly Mammoth.

So to understand this we have to imagine that the Garden at Westminster is surrounded by an Ice sheet built by the Elites to keep us out...

Edit: Amateur Lex Luther impersonator Jeff Bezos turned 58 yesterday.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 13, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

THE MOST ELECTRIFYING MAN IN PHILOSOPHICAL ENTERTAINMENT!

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 13, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I remember speaking to my Master about what he did before he was a Barrister.
He told me that when he was still living in America he went to one of those military academies with a view to becoming an officer in one of the branches of the US military. (The Army I think.)

He described one class where they were explaining nuclear weapons and they started talking about Davy Crockets and the other man portable Nuclear motors, and basically a bunch of the other officer cadets got REALLY enthusiastic about the prospect of using these things.

It was at that point, he told me, that he realized that he and the military weren't going to be a good fit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Scikar posted:

Isn't the Davy Crocket the one where if fired, the chances of the operator surviving were not particularly great? Trying to work out whether to imagine they meant ordering others to use them, or a Strangelove thing.

Given that he described them as being "good ol' boys from Texas" types, I have a pretty good idea which side of the Dr. Strangelove line they were on.

Apparently the advice from the instructor was basically "be on a high hill or cliff overlooking your target, so you have gravity on your side. Walk away, cool guys don't look at explosions."
Everyone clapped. Hideo Kojima toom extensive notes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I had some of that along a silicone seam in my kitchen, I ended up getting that hypochlorite gel that you leave on for 4 hours and it works much better than anything else that I tried

"HI, I'M BARRY SCOTT! AND I USE CILLET BANG TO GET RID OF MOLD.
BANG! AND THE DOM IS GONE!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Convex posted:

But remember, all it takes is one unhinged maniac for things to go wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SixYXWZtLmc

The maddest part about that film is how the main villain is defeated when he is tricked into letting his mask slip and says the quiet part outloud. And then the people turn on him because they were okay with the facisim when it was disguised.

Then you got Trump who you didn't have to employ any great subterfuge to get to admit to the bad stuff. And instead a bunch of Republicans would come on TV to say "actually shooting unarmed people is cool and good."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

If recent events have taught us anything it's that government by jury would probably be a lot better for everyone.

Ironically that is sort of the system you do have.

In that if people decide they just don't want to do jury duty*, the pool is made up of people who actively want to be on a jury. And, in my experience, the people who actively want to serve on a jury are the ones most likely to want to convict the accused, regardless of the merits of the case.

Much like "if most people don't show up, the right wing parties voters still show up."

* = not that they aren't able to do it, because there are absolutely people who have commitments or difficulties that make them unable to do jury summons. But there are people who don't feel like doing it and get out of it for that reason.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I know.
They always pronounce it "Lun-Done. Dear-Ee."

So strange.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The only thing they love more than loving over the poor is loving over each other.

Knives (into the poor) for show.
Knives (into other Tories) for Pros.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well yeah, most people mostly followed the Covid rules, 'cos it seemed like the right thing to do and harked back to that 'Blitz spirit' thing of everyone pulling together to defeat Germany Covid. Finding out that the people in charge were completely ignoring the rules and laughing at the rest of us for being naive enough to follow them felt like a genuine slap in the face to a lot of people who don't normally follow politics all that closely.

Like in the before times, you would have had scandals like this. Say a politician getting some money that is being drip fed out by the media to maximise the news and slowly uncover more and more examples of the corruption in question.

And when that was happening eventually the Public got tired of it because it reached a point of "yes this happened and was bad and it sort of effects me, but I'm bored now. Move on. "

The Party stuff is hitting harder, as people have pointed out because they have more of a connection with "I had to stay inside for my birthdays, while that clown got a cake!"

Particularly with stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1485703538575609862?t=2q3wT8GYmZRCpECuZ--qlw&s=19

I think examples of public mismanagement stories would make people a lot madder, if money got taken off people's pay slips just to show how government spending has to come somewhere.

Trickjaw posted:

I had a delightful dinner with my oldest and best mate, and he told me a truly horrifying story about some guy he knows and Una Stubbs, Apparently, the chap in question wouldn't have had the mental dexterity to make it up. I will, however, urge caution, before disclosure. Naturally, any objections will be noted.

I don't know who any of those people are so sure, let's hear it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

For those who want to read about what he said, here is coverage of his visit.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40796367.html

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Has anyone seen if any Tories are tweeting about Bloody Sunday? I imagine if any were, it would be about the tragedy of how many bullets had to be spent on the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Have you watched it recently? I thought it was a masterpiece back when I was a teenager, but seeing it a few years ago it was embarrassingly terrible. I mean you’re supposed to take the plastic bag bit seriously. Also it’s hilariously dated, being about how awful it is to have a well-paying job and nice house and family. And that’s before you get to Kevin Spacey and underage boobs.

If you go back and watch anything that is 10 plus years old, you start to see problematic areas.
Like even one of my favourite comedies from my early 20's doesn't look great.

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/stat...ingawful.com%2F