Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I could not remember if I had work today so I was all prepared to phone it in working from home, but then it turned out I do not have work today so I do not need to pretend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

General Dog posted:

So are there jobs that don’t drug test?

I would think the majority of jobs? I have noticed that working at old east coast based companies were the only time I have been tested, while pretty much nothing based in CA tests (even before legalization). Like most things, it probably falls more on the lower paid/lower level employee disproportionately, no software person making 200k in silicon valley gets tested but I would not be surprised if the person making $10 an hour at a nearby mall is.

Also, got Hades after thread chat, beat last boss on my 17th run using the sword boosted to attack fast and heal per hit, pretty much face tanked everything. I am not used to using a controller and now my right forearm is sore.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 4, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Our school district was giving away a box of 2 tests per kid for free to test before returning to school. I assuming there is a giant manufacturing crunch to make enough tests, but no real idea if that is an actual holdup.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Hades is not nearly as deep of a game as I thought it would be based on the hype. It is fun, but there are so few different enemies, bosses, and biomes that it feels like it is getting repetitive super fast. With that said I am also pretty bad where I can get to the final boss 90% of the time, but I only win 10% of the time. At first I disliked the bow but now the second bow seems to be the easiest for me to win with.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t get past the bone hydra. I also bleed health overdashing into lava Asphodel. The tight quarters on the hell barge really do a number too.

I’ve gotten pretty good at smiting all three furies so far, but I’ve only done it multiple times w spear, shield and bow. Can’t get the hang of the rail gun and the gloves and sword are too close-quarters for me to maintain health into the boss fight.

For some reason I have found the hydra the easiest, just dash around killing heads when they pop up, and the main head is so predictable it does not really do any damage on its own. I almost always die at Hades, but I think my issue is I am too impatient, once I got low health and played super conservative and was able to kill the 2nd phase with like 5 hp left. Also, every time I get the epic dash to get up to 5 dashes I win.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I have never seen My Cousin Vinny and I am watching it now.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I feel like Half Baked was most peoples first exposure to him outside of Full House.

Edit - I was typing that before the Half Baked link.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

It kicks rear end that we have collectively, as a society, just decided to have one big chicken pox party, but with covid

At this point I assume everyone will get exposed within the year anyway, the only people who don't get it were just the asymptomatic ones or fully protected from their vaccination.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Coco13 posted:

Enormously recommend Baba Is You on Steam or Switch then. It's a (good-made!) puzzler where you slide around blocks to find a way to the win condition, and the blocks also include the rules saying what you control, what you need to touch to win, and all sorts of other concepts. It's remarkable.

This game makes me feel dumb. There are only 4 blocks, how many different combinations could there be where I still cannot figure it out! I got it a while ago and kind of bounced off of it.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 11, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Kind of weird reading the thread in post your favorite about the choice between $10m or going back to when you are 6 years old with the knowledge you have now. It feels like taking the 10m is almost always the wrong choice financially, but a bunch of people seem to like it as an option. I am pretty sure if I went back to when I was 6 (1988) I could make wayyyyyy more than $10m on sports betting and stocks. I would not be surprised if I could reach $1B by now. Just convincing my parents to take a second mortgage and dumping it all into Amazon in 1997 would probably be well into 9 figures today, and that is just one event, not counting moving money around to other companies that peak at different times or betting every penny moneyline against the lions in 2008. The only drawback I could see is that there would really be no way to get your kids back, so you would have memories of the kids you had but they would also be completely gone. You could be the most prolific songwriter on earth, discover 20 blockbuster drugs, or whatever else your inside knowledge allows you to do to be essentially the most important person in the world.

I guess there could be butterfly effect stuff where Cody Ross knows the guy that is always right bet on him to hit 2 homeruns in the 2010 NCLS game 1, and then he thinks different thoughts and no longer hits the homeruns.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 17, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

To what effect though? I could go back to 1984 and say "hey Apple you're gonna make an iPhone" but I have no idea how they do it. Maybe say something about graphene or CRISPR? Hey Larry and Sergei, you need to make a search engine that prioritizes links that are on other pages, and hey, you need to charge people for specific words that are searched.

Maybe just go back in time and register all the URLs that will get used. Sorry, there's no Facebook anymore but Yearbook is full of crap.

Could always just buy the stock and let them do things on their own, I don't need to tell Jeff Bezos how to make Amazon, I just need to buy $10,000 of stock in 1997. Also, for drug discovery it would be easy, since a lot of the actual work is figuring out and validating a good target. If that is done you could form a startup that controls like 30 blockbuster drugs.

Also, I could probably recreate a close enough cover of The Downward Spiral from memory or something and become a rockstar.

With that said, I would probably take the 10m for pure profit while keeping my family, if I had no kids it would be smash time travel. I had way more friends in Elementary School, Jr. High, and High School than I do now, it was great, in hindsight.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 18, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

harperdc posted:

figured this might be the right audience for this web game

https://wikitrivia.tomjwatson.com

shockingly harder than you'd think, my best streak so far is 8.

I am not very good at this stuff and my best streak is 8 as well. However, I have some questions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol Angelina Jolie was in a marvel movie? And nobody knows or cares? Yikeroos for her career

Her fame vastly exceeded the quality of her movies anyway. Most of them are barely above straight to video.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

harperdc posted:

she seems to be in that place now where a lot of the projects are as a Name to interest Non-American Markets (specifically, China), so the quality of performances doesn't have to amount to much.

I don't even mean now, none of them are really big or famous movies for her whole career. I mean, The Bone Collector is decent, but there is really no movie that you can look at and think that it was the one that made her very famous. Her resume is more like Casper Van Dien's than Tom Cruise (except Starship Troopers was probably bigger than most of her movies).

Edit: Spinach and arugula are the superior leaves to eat, pretty much all lettuce is subpar with iceberg in last place.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 20, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Then how did I have both Jaws and Braveheart on the same VHS :smug:. Oh no please ignore the garbage video quality.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
A non-Steven Kingafied version of The Talisman which seems like it would also make a decent movie/mini-series .

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I recall the first time we put an offer in on a house. I was soaked with sweat and apprehensive about the long term commitment it entailed. Then we got outbid by 400k.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I don't do any goon discord (or any discord really) because the one time I joined the SAS discord years ago it was so toxic (not to me specifically, just in general) that I lost all interest in socializing with goons in real time. What I can only assume are a bunch of permabanned peeps who still think the N word is edgy and were just generally annoying. I can sympathize with a single bad interaction just kind of souring a whole medium.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 23, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Something like 10 years ago my credit score was around 600 since I used cash or debit for everything and for some lenders it was a massive red flag, even though I had never missed a payment for anything. I would recommend having some small credit card you use a little bit, just incase you need credit for anything in the future. Without really changing anything outside of putting 1-2 credit cards in my name, my credit is now close to the max and I pay off the balance immediately so I am not paying any interest. It does not really have any drawback, while finding yourself needing a good credit score for something and not having it could.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I think I considere Hades (the game) beaten after about 60 runs. From 1-30 my win rate was about 12%, usually dying at the final boss. Then something clicked and from runs 30-60 I ended up winning probably 95% of the time, even saving 1200 gold for the titan's blood from the final vendor almost every round. I don't really care about the god banter so I guess I am done. I got my moneys worth, but it is an odd game where it has 10x more dialog than unique gameplay. It seemed like has lower variation than most roguelites, very few different bosses or enemies, rooms get reused over and over and are not really random etc.

Also, for senior cut day in high school I got sunburnt that badly all over, I missed school for like 3 days and I essentially developed a sunburn phobia and now I cannot do anything with a chance at sunburn without slathering on sunscreen. My dad has to go to a dermatologist every 2 months to play wackamole :dadjoke: with melanoma so maybe sunscreen is good.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 28, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah PS4. I’m probably overplaying how ‘bad’ I am but someone up thread said he’d made a full run in the 30s and :psyboom:

You only need one good ability to win. Could you be spreading too thin? You generally do not need both your attack and special to be great, just one or the other. I try to stack up hammers, Chaos boons, and then an appropriate damage boon (something like Zeus or Dionysus for rapid attacks, Artemis or Aphrodite or whatever are generally decent). Sometimes there is a better boon for the skill and it is worth passing over the first one that shows up. Also, always be dashing, always grab the dash boost from Hermes if he offers it, I find run speed it be fairly low value since you should ABD. The first time I won I had the +2 health per hit + the Sword hammer that turns your attack into a very rapid 2 hit combo and I pretty much face tanked everything. I think a key for the last two bosses is not to be too aggressive, run in, get some hits, then run out.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 29, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I will take 100 shares of Berskshire Hathaway, enjoy your 100 shares of Pets.com

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

My first escape was #36

I've escaped 51 out of 145 times at this point

Did you have to manually tabulate that or does it show you somewhere?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Oh, I thought there was somewhere to see X/XX for number of successful escapes, I knew about the room. As mentioned my escapes were very backloaded:

If I counted correctly I am 25/64, but it feels like I have won more because most of the wins were recent and I think I got up to 12 or so in a row, where I won 6/40 for my first 40 runs and then 19/24 for 41-64.

My first three wins were 18, 23, and 31.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Everyone acting like they know what a King Cake is so I am just nodding so I don't look dumb.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I would eat the cake, it is just not a thing anywhere I have lived.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I always wondered how the gig economy was masking unemployment numbers. Sure, it is technically a job, but it does not really seem like it should count when you get almost no benefits and you need to work 16 hours a day to get a small wage while massively depreciating what is most likely your most valuable asset.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Copying from the Louisiana thread:

We tried an Ambrosia king cake and one from Calandro's in the last week, and while they're still really good, the one we shared earlier from Mikey's (the fried one) is still better.

They look surprisingly bready, like someone filled a bagel with frosting. I guess mentally I was expecting something fairly airy. The one with whipped cream and bananas looks pretty good to me though, but I generally like fruity desserts.

I think the last animated Disney movie I recall watching pre-kids was The Lion King, at which point I aged out of Disney. Now that my kids are getting old enough I am starting to see them all.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Off topic but I'm going to look at another house today. I'll never understand the people who stage houses. This one looks like the person staging it has never actually lived in a house. The furniture is in weird places. The designer or whoever also REALLY liked blue. Like everything is blue. The cabinets, the walls, even the bed sheets and accent pillows are blue. The couch is a gray/blue.

They even painted the mantle blue??

Like I actually like the house a lot and would have to do a lot of painting but its SO MUCH BLUE

My favorite staged house thing is the living room with a bunch of chairs facing each other where there is no possible way to actually watch tv or do anything useful, and bedrooms with beds that are like 5 feet long so they look bigger. Also all of the generic live laugh love type stuff.

How do people buy a house when they need the proceeds of the house they live in to buy a new house? We looked into one of those companies that facilitates that (they buy both houses, sell yours first, then you buy the new house off of them), and it was such an unbelievable ripoff I am not sure how they get any business. Per month they charge 4x what a nice apartment/rental house would cost until your initial house is sold, but since they are in control of actually selling it they can stall and rake in money while you literally do not have a house. On top of that they have 3 different closing fees and then charge you 1% of the new mortgage afterwards. If you go through with it I do not see a situation where they are not essentially holding you hostage while they own "both" (current and future) houses and can charge you somewhere between 5-10% the value of the new house. I guess the solution is to just move into an apartment for however long it takes?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

What state are you located in? It’s a common thing to happen and 95% of the time when there’s financing, there’s a contingency on financing AND previous home sale.

CA, the market seems hot enough that I cannot imagine sellers dealing with any contingencies when they get 20 offers and probably half of them are all cash. Or do you mean a contingency with the bank providing the loan?

Qwijib0 posted:

Pretty much. Family of ours sold their house at the "peak" in fall 2020 and planned a 1-2 month stay in a short term rental while they found a place. Which they did, a year later.

This is a fear of mine, where you sell and just end up in limbo where you might end up waiting a lot longer than anticipated. So few houses are going up for sale that there is a ton of competition for them all.

Also, kid is on about the 4th viewing of Encanto in the last 2 days or so.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 7, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
What is with parents and having ancient food in the fridge/pantry. They had two packs of single serving Jello in the fridge that had a best by date in 2016. I don't necessarily think food is bad at the date on it, but they have been opening their fridge multiple times per day and seeing this same Jello for at least 5 years, you would think at some point you would either eat it or toss it. Pretty much everything that gets stored (as opposed to used fresh) is severely expired - salad dressing, etc. I would bet money that if you go into the back of their pantry you would find things with a best by date in the 80's.

I recall about 10 years ago heading there early in the morning to go golfing and my dad made omelets. For some reason the omelet was vile, completely inedible. I noticed the cheese smelled terrible (no idea how he did not notice), and figured it was bad. At first it looked like it was 2 months short of the expiration, but then I noticed the year was actually 2 years previous. It was not moldy, just … bad.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah I keep hearing about the great job market but it doesn’t seem that way. Just seems like a lot of people are leaving lovely jobs… but firms aren’t making *better* jobs to try and get them back, just posting the same poo poo.

E: I also vaguely recall something about how a significant number of job openings on the market aren’t actually real - it’s a way for organizations to milk the PPP and get money. So the job market is not as juicy as it looks.

Might be regional/industry based, but my wife and I are in different industries and we are both flooded with recruiter calls and it is difficult to hire/retain people because each good candidate has multiple offers. There are probably minimally overlapping circles between lovely jobs and non-lovely jobs though. I could leave my job in a second and get a newer, better job. The only reason I don't is due to random covid stuff like school/daycare getting shutdown for 2 weeks and I have a ton of flexibility to deal with that now, while at a new place I would not have the same "tenure" to work off and on throughout the day while taking care of kids or whatever.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What are your industries?

The only things I see going nuts are tech and nurses.

Tech and Biotech/Pharma.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

I watched through all of Futurama a few years ago, and pretty much every memorable thing from the show was in the first season. Hopefully this revival is better than every other revival.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Disenchanted is not good. I cannot really place my finger on why, it is just ... not funny or interesting?

I am also rewatching the Simpsons for something safe to have on when the kids are roaming around, and midway through the 2nd season I am not super impressed, though I know they hit their stride a bit later.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 9, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Give us your freaking water, bay area

Unironically, the perception of the lack of shared sacrifice when it comes to saving water makes me super bitter and want to cut all water off from everyone 1 foot south of me. In the larger drought ~6 years ago I cut back all water and had a mature Apricot tree die due to it, while I drive through OC and see pristine green lawns in an area that is hotter and dryer than where I am. Why should I sacrifice my small lot when almond growers are wasting it for a relatively useless crop, alfalfa growers are shipping our water in the form of alfalfa to anywhere else, or when giant lots in Hillsborough/Atherton/Blackhawk are making no sacrifice and use more water in a week than my house would use in a year.

At least it was a nice 80 degrees today :thumbsup:.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 11, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I cannot stop myself from save-scumming if it is an option. I played X-Com 2 with ironman mode or whatever to avoid it, but then learned you can just force quit the game in the middle of a bad turn. I think I got to a point where I was not having fun due to save scumming, but also too attached to my little people to let them die, so I just stopped 3/4th through the game.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I say I’ll hire movers every time I’m about to move right up until I get a quote. Then I’m like, gently caress it I’ll just do it. Then I am exhausted and spend the entire time hating myself for being a stubborn idiot.

If we move again though, that will be the time.

"How hard can it be to move a 2 bedroom second story apartment" my now wife and I say to each other ~ 10 years ago. It took about 18 straight hours of moving, pulling an all nighter because that is how long we had the Uhaul. We got to watch people come home from work Friday night and then head to work Saturday morning. We made a resolution to never do that again.

Leperflesh posted:

I've been at my current company for nearly 18 years. I don't participate in the rather lovely ESPP, I recently got a vesting stock grant as sort of a reward, which is nice (I'll gradually vest some shares over the next 4 years) but I wasn't counting that as part of my salary and still won't when it comes time to ask for the next raise.

18 years is pretty impressive, my record is 5 and it feels like forever. ESPP can be pretty good, depending on the conditions. I have seen companies that sell it to you at 85% of the lowest price in the 6th month ESPP window, so as long as you sell the shares immediately when you receive them you are guaranteed to make a profit. I have never worked anywhere that had the lowest price of the 6 month window, most were the cheapest of the first or last day of the window, but even then as long as there is some discount on the price you are still guaranteed to make money. If they don't give you a discount then it is probably not worth doing.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Its Rinaldo posted:

Star Wars has been in the shitter since 1999

1997 was when the special editions were released. Terrible CGI and Han shooting first did not improve the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

It is uncomfortable reaching a point when you are like "that is pretty old, I guess it was bound to happen" and then realize he is younger than my dad.