Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

1st time games beaten:
1. super mario 3d world (switch) - 100% with mario
2. metroid dread (switch) - 100%, normal difficulty
3. max payne 3 (pc) - hard difficulty
4. ninja gaiden iii (nes)
5. ninja ryukenden iii (famicom) - 1cc
6. tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - mira kagami & kissless virgin endings
7. kirby and the forgotten land (switch) - base game
8. bomberman 64 (bad ending, 41 gold cards)
9. mega man 8 (psx)
10. mega man 10 (switch/legacy collection)
11. mega man X4 (psx) (as x)
12. metal warriors (snes) - no secret stage - review
13. metal gear solid (ghost babel) (gbc) - very hard difficulty / all vr missions - review in progress
14. metal gear (nes) - review in progress
15. metal gear 2 (mgs3 subsistence port)
16. gun mute (20/20 points)
17. photopia
18. castle of illusion starring mickey mouse (saturn)
19. quackshot starring donald duck (saturn)
20. the magical quest starring mickey mouse (snes)
21. the great circus mystery starring mickey & minnie (snes)
22. doom (snes) - UV
23. super mario land 2: six golden coins (31 exits on save screen)
24. super mario land 3: wario land (normal ending / not 100%)
25. luigi's mansion 3 (co-op)
26. earthbound (didn't grind for the 1/128 items)
27. dragon quest 2 (snes remake)
28. f-zero (snes) (all 3 leagues, beginner)
29. kirby's adventure (nes) (100% / extra mode)
30. superluminal vagrant twin (text adventure)
31. an act of murder (text adventure)
32. tmnt iv: turtles in time (snes) (normal difficulty)
33. astro boy: omega factor ("birth" cleared / bad ending)
34. code name: viper (nes) (easy difficulty)

>1yr replays:
super mario world (snes) - 96 exits and pallete swap
mega man (nes)
mega man 2 (nes) (difficult mode)
mega man 3 (nes)
mega man 4 (nes)
mega man 5 (nes)
mega man 6 (nes)
mega man 7 (snes)
mega man 9 (switch/legacy collection)
mega man x (snes) (hadouken)
mega man x2 (snes) (shoryuken)
mega man x3 (snes) (gold armor & z sabre)
mega man x4 (psx) (as zero)
dragon quest (snes remake) (all loto's equipment + rescued princess)
super mario bros. 3 (warpless)
super mario world (snes) - 96 exits and palette swap (again, impmas ftw)
mega man x (snes) (all upgrades + hadouken) (again, impmas ftw)
duck tales (nes)
mega man x2 (snes) (all upgrades + shoryuken) (again, impmas ftw)
super metroid (2:59, 66% items)

in progress:
rockman & forte (snes)
yoshi's island 100% (snes)
kirby and the forgotten land 100% (switch) (co-op)

goals for this year:
mega man x5 & x6, maybe x8
any other mega man beyond the classic and x series
any dragon quest other than the 1st done

tmfc fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Fungah! posted:

kss kicks so much rear end

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

That Little Demon posted:

[11] Metroid (NES) 2/14/22

Review:
Started playing this coming off of Codename: Viper and just sat down and beat it in one sitting. Confession time, the only Metroid I ever beat was Zero Mission on GBA back in high school. I played most Metroid games but they never really grabbed me before. Not as a kid, and not when I tried as an adult. I decided "why not" here and used a map to complete the game because I wasn't going to do hand drawn maps myself, gently caress that. This game is actually really great and surprisingly not that long. Everything holds up surprisingly well for 1986. The best part of all is the music and sound effects, it works so well. The controls are tight (for NES) and I love all the power-ups. I beat mother brain with like 16 HP left and no E tanks left, and it was a rush. The downsides of this game are 1) No map in game, so you have to consult like Nintendo Power or whatever, and 2) Refilling your HP and missiles is a drag. I had to gently caress around in the last area because I was getting hosed by metroids constantly.

If you never beat this (like me) I recommend playing this and seeing where it all started.

8/10

there's a quality of life ROM hack called Metroid + Saving that replaces the PW system with save files (which i think were in the FDS version) and a mini-map that you can access by pressing select but that defeats some of the challenge imo

i grew up playing super metroid so that'll always be my favorite of the series.

also, this:

ArfJason posted:

zero mission rules. fusion uses the same engine so it feels snappy but its pretty linear. play am2r!

am2r is probably the most polished nintendo fangame i've ever played

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

I get the challenge aspect of not having a map, but gently caress trying to shoot and bomb every single block in every single room, I would have preferred the map

that's fair, i don't think i've ever gotten 100% in NES metroid

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

ninja gaiden iii (us) - new climbing mechanics were fun but the feel is weirdly off compared to the first two games. stages looked sick, especially late game. lots of bullshit enemy placements, i may play through JP version to see how different it is and for the game club trophy.

ninja gaiden iii (jp) - 1cc - trivially easy compared to US version

tmfc fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 20, 2022

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

go for the dev ending it's cute and gratifying and it's not THAT difficult you just need to level Crono up a bit and play smart

i was so loving stoked when i got it as a kid

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm going to play Elden Ring.

fair enough,

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mycophobia posted:

we did it bros.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Axelay (Normal 1CC)
3. Ninja Ryukenden III: Yomi no Hakobune (1CC)
4. Metroid Prime (63%, 6:49)
5. Tetris the Absolute: The Grand Master 2 PLUS - Master mode Gm (Green line) - video

Easily my proudest gaming achievement.

that's some powerful tetris playing, congrats

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

2. super mario world (snes) - 96 exits and palate swap
3. metroid dread (switch) - 100%, normal difficulty
4. max payne 3 (pc) - hard difficulty
5. ninja gaiden iii (nes / usa version)
6. ninja gaiden iii (famicom / jp version) - 1cc

7. tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - mira kagami ending - this game was surprisingly fun and i'll definitely go for at least one more ending. easy to pick up and play through a couple weeks at a time throughout the day, not a huge time commitment unless you're trying to get every ending. good iz game club pick.

e - also idk if we're only supposed to list games we've never beaten before, if so ignore #2. if not, then i also played through these over the weekend again:

8. mega man (nes)
9. mega man 2 (nes / normal difficulty)

tmfc fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 21, 2022

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

chrono trigger ds - really beautiful game, lives up to the hype for the most part, but all the bosses sucked aside from the new ones they added for this port. i didn't collect a lot of gear or items since they're mostly in chests (i have a crippling fear of receiving/opening packages irl)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

2. super mario world (snes) - 96 exits and palate swap (replay)
3. metroid dread (switch) - 100%, normal difficulty
4. max payne 3 (pc) - hard difficulty
5. ninja gaiden iii (nes / usa version)
6. ninja gaiden iii (famicom / jp version) - 1cc
7.0 tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - mira kagami ending
8. mega man (nes) (replay)
9. mega man 2 (nes / "difficult" difficulty) (replay)

7.1. tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - kissless virgin ending

10. kirby and the forgotten land (switch) - base game.
going for 100%, should have it done in a few more days as time permits. i love this game.

tmfc fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 22, 2022

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i edited it regardless of whether you're just taking the piss, cuz that does make sense if i'm tallying the 'number' of games i've beaten. thx

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

2. metroid dread (switch) - 100%, normal difficulty
3. max payne 3 (pc) - hard difficulty
4.0 ninja gaiden iii (nes / usa version)
4.1. ninja gaiden iii (famicom / jp version) - 1cc
5.0 tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - mira kagami ending
5.1. tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - kissless virgin ending
6. kirby and the forgotten land (switch) - base game

revisits of games i haven't played or beaten in several years:

super mario world (snes) - 96 exits and palate swap
mega man (nes)
mega man 2 (nes / "difficult" difficulty)

tmfc fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 22, 2022

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

my favorite of the nes games. best music imo. gemini man's stage looks sick and I like the cute weird tadpole egg guys. i always thought the remix levels and the MM2 doc robots were really cool.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mega man 4 (NES) - this is where the NES games started to dip in quality overall imo. i do enjoy the increased difficulty compared to MM2 and 3 though. this is also where they introduced hidden paths and minor secrets in levels, which is cool. special mention - ring man's stage, I like the aesthetic.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you can play the Game Boy version of 4, do it. It's really good.

I can, I like the GB games for what they were, maybe I'll go through and replay those too. been thinking about playing the Legends games too. the year of mega man

on a good pace, finished 5 tonight.

didn't have this one as a kid so I'm not as familiar with if as I am 1-4. I think they refined all the new things they introduced in 4. fun gimmicks in a couple stages and better level design overall. the bosses were all pretty easy except for napalm man for some reason. good music. onto 6 tomorrow.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mega man 6 (NES)

kinda have a love/hate with this one. the reimagining of the rush adapters was cool, and I liked the way they did multiple exit paths to get the beat letters, and all the hidden paths in the endgame stages with extra lives and e-tanks and stuff. but the bosses were all stupidly easy, even the wily bosses, and the stages had a lot of inflated difficulty with bullshit enemy/pit/spike placements. the hit boxes on some of the enemies seemed off too. the rush jet adapter breaks the game a bit but it's very fun to use. this game has some of the worst music in the series imo but there are a few pretty good standout tracks. I liked it more than I remembered liking it as a kid, but it got to be sort of a slog toward the end and it's still my least favorite of the NES games. I think they were phoning it in hard at this point since it was late in the NES's life (my mom bought it for me from the Sears clearance rack for like $15 not long after it came out). plus mega man X came out right around the same time as this and that is a perfect video game.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

bomberman 64 (bad ending / 41 gold cards) - bomberman games are usually fun and this was no exception. i could see myself going for 100 gold cards and the true ending at some point though i imagine that's a very frustrating endeavor.

back to mega man games this weekend, been slowly making my way through 7 the past few days.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mega man 7 (snes)

hadn't played or beaten this one in many, many years. I never owned it, only rented. I like all the hidden items and unique ways to find them (burning a tree down to reveal a hidden latter, etc). I don't think I ever got the protoshield as a kid. fun stages and the robot masters are pretty challenging if you don't have the weapon they're weak against. the graphics are nice and colorful. the cutesy sound effects are kinda lame and the music is 50/50 but there are some absolute bangers in there (eg. wily stage 1). final boss is absolutely brutal, worst in the series so far. onto mega man 8.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mm8 is very fun, i'm already up to the wily stages. indeed lots of gimmicky stages but they're done well, like the shmup stage and snowboarding one. i like all the crazy layered sprites and parallax stuff, the visuals are cool and chill soundtrack.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lmfao i know it's a trope at this point but the voice acting in this game owns so hard

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mega man 8 (psx)

liked this a lot more than I expected going into it. aside from the cheesy voice acting I don't get why it has such a bad rap, it's a really fun mega man game. it's easier than most of the other original series games but that's not a detriment, it was a nice treat after 7. it's peak 32-bit mid 90s 2d platformer (with epic battleborn heroes!)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

the wily stages took the gimmicks and dialed up the difficulty a bunch. lots of bs split-second jumps and slides in the snowboard section and a lot more enemies onscreen in the shmup section. I struggled more with those than I did with the bosses tbh

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mega man 9
(via legacy collection 2, switch)

haven't played this since it first came out on wii. really enjoyed this despite how insane the difficulty is, some of the standard robot master stages are as hard as wily stages from other games. tornado man's level took me longer than any other part of the game lol. music was great. I miss the charge shot and slide but I understand why they didn't put them in. this was very nice to play after 7 and 8, I appreciated the return to NES style.

I started rockman and forte on SNES but it's kinda clunky and I got bored quickly. might go back to that before I play mm10, not sure yet. or I might just dig into dark cloud.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mega man 10
(via legacy collection 2 - switch)

not nearly as hard (or good) as 9 but the wily stages were a gauntlet. and it seems like every enemy and projectile in this game does more damage than the same types would in previous games. the story was stupid and the music wasn't great, a lot of it sounded hollow, like it was from a sega master system game or something.

might go back to rockman and forte and play as forte to do something a little different.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

I think 10s harder than 9 just because of jewel satellite

i made it a point not to use the jewel satellite during stages because i quickly realized it breaks the game

also those were both very good tracks in 10

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

this boss can burn in hell, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKmBIn6CLDg

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

>1yr replays:
mega man (nes)
mega man 2 (nes) difficult mode
mega man 3 (nes)
mega man 4 (nes)
mega man 5 (nes)
mega man 6 (nes)
mega man 7 (snes)

mega man x (snes)

it's a perfect game. i've beaten it so many times. pulled off the hadouken on the dog and sigma 1 on the first try. it's just so good

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

>1yr replays:
mega man (nes)
mega man 2 (nes) difficult mode
mega man 3 (nes)
mega man 4 (nes)
mega man 5 (nes)
mega man 6 (nes)
mega man 7 (snes)
mega man x (snes) (all items + hadouken)

mega man x2 (snes) (all items + shoryuken)

they took everything from x1 and dialed it up. tougher bosses, more extensive upgrades, items harder to find and more challenging to reach, etc. music is just as good as x1. sick mode 7 effects on most of the bosses. interesting stages, and i liked the sub-boss/zero parts side challenge.

i played this almost as much as x1 as a kid so the same sentiment applies here for both games for me:

Bicyclops posted:

it's too easy but it's my favorite mega man game. you can just turn off your brain and rip through it. it's the only game I'd consider trying to do a no damage run with if I had all the time in the world. I love it

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

that's up next, just finished 3

mega man X3 (gold armor & z sabre)

not as good as x2 or 1 imo but still a great game. i think i've only actually beaten it once or twice before. some of the music and stages are kind of annoying.

onto x4 next, which blew my mind as a kid when i played it for the first time on a playstation that my dad rented us from blockbuster back when that was a thing. that weekend loving owned.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mega man X4 (psx) (as mega man X)

sick game, had it as a kid but i don't think i'd ever beaten it before. going to play through again as zero before moving to X5 i think.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

tmfc posted:

mega man X4 (psx) (as mega man X)

sick game, had it as a kid but i don't think i'd ever beaten it before. going to play through again as zero before moving to X5 i think.

zero run finished. harder but also more fun overall.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

copy posted:

last i read it i found out about that dating sim that turned out to be like the most hardcore time management sim ive ever played. felt like i missed the boat on getting in the club though. looking forward to more people playing Eternal Darkness; that game's a treasure. everybody gonna just have that magic voice guy chanting PARGON stuck in their head from every time they cast a seven circle heal spell by the end lol

nah just bookmark the thread and jump in next time there's a game that you're interested in playing. i missed the first few games and have skipped a few others but it's still fun.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

metal warriors (snes)

6/10

played this for game club. fun game but some more polish would have done it good. i want to play cybernator and front mission: gun hazard now.

i wrote more words about it at this dumb little website i made for myself (thanks to mycophobia for the idea). i'm planning to log all my more detailed reviews of games i beat there:

https://tmfc.link

i have a backlog of reviews to write now lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

nice review, although you are more forgiving of it than I am lol

i had enough time away from the final stage before i started writing lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, right - I keep forgetting about the Club! :shobon: I should really join in, one of these days/months

get in there, major!!

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm yeah, I think I'll need to dip my toe in - MGS month seems like the perfect time, too! Can't go past a good stealth game. How are you all playing though, if you don't mind me asking? I know MGS1 can be played on PSX and I think I've still technically got my PS2 with MGS2+3 somewhere, but if there's a more convenient way that you're all playing, I'd love to hear it!

so far i've mostly been playing the original 8-bit games which you can emulate on pretty much anything. mgs1, vr missions (psx), twin snakes (gcn) and the psp games can also be emulated easily on PC.

mgs 2/3 are tough to emulate due to the lack of pressure-sensitive face buttons on most controllers. that was a unique thing for ps2 and 3, and mgs2/3 utilized it for core mechanics. i'd recommend original hardware for those 2 games if possible. there's also a 3ds version of mgs3 lol. apparently it's an interesting port of the game, but i haven't tried it.

if you haven't ever played it, i'd highly recommend Metal Gear Solid (GBC) (aka Metal Gear: Ghost Babel). imo it's the ultimate 8-bit / classic-style metal gear game. but Metal Gear 2 for MSX is a really great game too (currently playing through this via ps2 emulation -- mgs3 subsistence disc 2)

have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

original hardware is the best way to play of course. i only have a ps4, switch, and pc at my place though, so i'm stuck with whatever can be faithfully emulated for a good chunk of the metal gear catalog.