Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I clicked some article years ago and as a consequence I now get occasional updates of people from Sex in the City making GBS threads on the mean main character from sex in the city. I can tell there's a new sex in the city whenever I get an uptick in articles ragging on sjp. I watched the original one and hate it but it was never meant for me so what do I know besides what not to do if I'm ever a horny single woman living in way too big of a city. Only got pushed one article about Noth so I guess ragging on sjp is more click-effective.

Brock Samson posted:

Joe Gatto announces he is leaving Impractical Jokers https://www.instagram.com/p/CYLBnVXgrmn/

Covid was the first nail in the coffin for Jokers, this may be the last.

Gonna be weird as hell if they do a season without him. They already got more than 6 seasons and a movie so I'm sure they'll be relieved to step away in a sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I mean, getting to exist in the afterlife with the best version of your body isn't exactly unique to some christians. It would suck to live for eternity as a baby or with a nearly dying oldass body. The Bible itself is actually pretty mum on details for heaven so a lot of what people come to believe about heaven is cobbled together from interpretation of errant verses and a ton of fiction and art from over the years. Even in church you miight be told different things. One of the more common ones I was pitched as a kid was being in heaven wasn't really like "oh cool what a fun place to be with all the toys you'd ever want" kind of deal so much as a kind of eternal incomprehensible bliss existing in and with the glory of god, and like you wouldn't want or need to do anything because you'd just be more-than-max feeling good vibes straight from god forever. That's an abstract and possibly terrifying notion though and there are lines in the bible like

quote:

35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?” 36 You foolish person! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 And what you sow is not the body that is to be, but a bare kernel, perhaps of wheat or of some other grain. 38 But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed its own body. 39 For not all flesh is the same, but there is one kind for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish. 40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.

42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”;[e] the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall[f] also bear the image of the man of heaven.

50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. 54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:

“Death is swallowed up in victory.”
55 “O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?”

56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

Roundabout way to give the deets on resurrection cause I guess back then everyone was all "ew" thinking there'd be nasty zombies roamin' around like for the three days Jesus was dead and loving poo poo up in hell.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good Place is my external rotation of lovely background sitcoms. I can't believe how much I went from hating the first season and rolling my eyes at the predictable end to it, but then giving season 2 a chance anyway and retroactively loving it all.

I saw Recently Archive 81 is getting a Netflix show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibxKEqxARkE

The original is definitely worth a listen, hope they can pull it off in the show. First season II can think fairly straightforward to do, but season 2 poo poo gets wild and if the show does well enough to get there, some cool visuals in store.
http://www.archive81.com/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started Abbott Elementary and liked it so far, but the thing I cracked up most at so far in the Pilot was the principal doing an "i'm watching you" gesture, but instead of pointing at her eyes, the camera angle made it look like she was pointing at her nostrils so it became "I'm gonna smell you" gesture lol

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s not nearly as evil as the first one because in this one all of the contestants know what’s going on. This ends up both making it more palatable and less interesting.

Evil? I barely remember the show outside the premise but seemed to me like the only ones really getting dunked would be the gold-diggers and I guess maybe the walking Jawline if he feels a connection but they just wanted his money, but he's in on it, right, so ain't buggin bout it. It's hard for me to register evil on this kind of show because it's even harder to register any of them as anything other than supremely, maximally trashy people who I generally think of as merely wanting to participate for the chance to be on TV or become some sort of peripheral medialing.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 6, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They should raise the stakes a little. One of the men should be so poor he is nearly starving to death, only agreeing to do the show because of the craft services table. If he gets chosen for love or whatever he gets to have a million dollars and become a real one-millionaire. The rich guy risks producers sharing the tweets and texts they scrubbed during a casting cancel-litmus background check.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol yikes, definitely seems like some pre-cancel damage control now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
be the american picking you want to pick in the world and post the thread

what'd they pick this time some more old garbage or something cool?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
storage wars projects a psychic prison projected from tvs that i cannot escape from. if you ever want to murder me and get away with it, lure me into a room with episodes on loop with no commercial breaks and ill eventually starve to death without noticing besides how horseshit it is he's trying to say they'll sell that piece of poo poo in their thrift store for 50 bucks gimme a break

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Like the episode where the one guy claimed that the boxes of books he found were worth a fortune going off of the retail price listed on them.

that's really humble of him to just go with sticker price, I hope at least he and his squabbled pettily over it along the way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you can't think of anything cool they picked and are too scared to make a thread you can just say

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah putting that on now, sounds great.

edit: Kid impressed with other kid's mansion, says it looks just like Cheesecake Factory and he loves Cheesecake Factory.

edit: on second thought maybe better to just read article. this suxks

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 7, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

This is so wildly reductive I don’t even know where to begin.

Is it wrong though, Arist laid out what I think would be the charitable version of the same thing, and they both sound equally unsatisfying. Succession just seems like watching the news if you focused on some rich dweebs and idk, don't find it satisfying to just see the same thing but with charismatic actors and slightly fictionier situations. I want to see rich people decapitated by a guillotine managed by a mob of angry poors looking to radically redistribute wealth starting by eliminating those who would hoard too much by choice. Something to inspire people into action, not just throw your hands up while you stare directly into the void helplessly. Succession sounds identical to White Lotus, horrible people having pretty much nothing happen to them who go on to enjoy being happier and wealthier than any average person even after whatever supposedly "bad" thing happened to them to make us think their lives are shallow and empty failures or some poo poo. It's paper-thin way to try imply there's some cosmic balance "oh they may be rich but oh-ho actually they didn't quite everything they ever wanted and in fact, may be somewhat sad sometimes."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arist posted:

Why would they be punished? That's not how the world works.

It's fiction they can make them turn into axolotls if they want.

Escobarbarian posted:

I guess some people are so sensitive to the current political climate that they can’t handle shows that deal with it in a not-overthrowing it way? It’s pretty baffling and childish to me, but there could be valid reasons I’m unaware of, like if they are or know someone who is directly suffering badly because of it.

If you're alive and not in the upper class then you are in a lowers caste and directly suffer from it. There also aren't any shows handling anything in an "overthrowy" way, it's all the same bleak navel-fingering until they get real deep and unlock some stank and then everyone's sniffing it like "wow this does stink exactly as you always knew all along!" Really would actually love to see something overthrowy just for the novelty and fantasy of it as this point. Are there shows that deal with it in that way?

Mu Zeta posted:

I like seeing monsters on TV because of the acting and writing. These aren't documentaries they are funny and comedic shows. What happens when you see a David Fincher movie like Zodiac? Curl up into a ball with a bag of cheetos and cry for humanity?

I like monsters too and monsters are more powerful when they always win and can't die I guess but is there a rule or something that it can never be funny if like jesus was stoning and crucifying people instead instead of just exactly what you expect forever all along happening? Just seems hard to get excited a Passion of the Christ if it's same old poo poo you saw in Acts and feels reasonable to be skeptical when people are fawning over Ascension when all indicators seems like it's the same old dog doing the same old trick with new faces.

Can't throw us one bone, one billionaire called Elam Bust ran over by driverless car in a throwaway background joke, no?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 8, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I was following this until “Jesus crucifying people” and now I’m utterly lost.

Every Jesus movie ends with him getting his rear end kicked and running home like a bitch and yeah there's value in that and it's the point or whatever, but if everyone was acting like this new jesus joint was hot poo poo, something fresh, but actually it's just the same old raggedy shroud routine then you get to say that show sucks without watching it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Boy howdy do I have good news for you! Let me tell you about a show called Search Party and my many Elon Tunnel...

I've heard goons gush about this show but the name makes me think of a biplane looking for lost people like in Far From Home the adventures of Yellow Dog and eh I just don't like planes that much so never even googled the name. This a good show to watch rich people suffer violently?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Carlton looks way too cool

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they showed Uncle Phil dancing at some point, very human thing to do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So was Peter Cushing. Death is no longer an excuse to not work in media.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You season 3 was boring b/c he just slips through anything and dude's way overdue for an axing but they just keep giving him an asspull to do another one. It's not even like Dexter where you can comfortably delude yourself into being cool with it because he's only killing even worse dudes. He's a creep you hate from the getgo and feel gross being in his head and actively root for his downfall. The best part were the weird couple, their imprisonment had a lot of entertaining moments, I liked her playing the bff role even while captive and then also figuring out they would never trust each other to not have a hidden out stored in there. His mustache twirling "everything going exactly according to my plan" kind of final plan was really pushings things and I hope 4's the last for definitive dead/jail reasons.

Data Graham posted:

trolley thing

I have not considered the question from the angle you're proposing and my first though is "would anyone buy that?" I definitely would not and the premise of that perspective seems to me to be about people wanting to dodge or absolve themselves unduly of responsibility. Especially in the context of The Good Place where there is a point accountability system and people are aware they flunked life. I suppose there are alternate takes on the premise but they seem like ones that should wind you up in the Bad Place and things some of these people got there in the first place for stuff like that. I think the natural thing for someone who would try and argue they can choose not to do anything and thus wash their hands clean of it to be a total horseshit excuse and you'd be like "gently caress you buddy, go to hell" and yeah he probably would as he should.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't finished this video but I'm getting the feeling he's going to lay out how fucknig stupid it was that the "apple" was one of the big fuckin puzzles of the book (can't remember it but the clue was isaac newton plus other apple clues" and ever since reading that lovely book have been wanting to hear someone yell about this puzzle literally simpler than poo poo we were solving for goddamn Neopets seasonal events.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5IV9n223M

edit: yesss it is

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like Justin Spitzer shows but I also want to see what he'd do if he weren't on a network. What's the justin spitzer HBO show where he can have cusses and the meetcutes can become meatcutes. Imagine how much better The Office woulda been if Dwight could say gently caress and cut off dicks or whatever hell yeah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To Tell The Truth is my current TV dinner gameshow of choice. Most of the other gameshows I've seen past few years with a celeb host have been kind of bummers, they feel like they think they're too good to be there or they aren't great hosts or there's just something from them that drags the rest down to me. To Tell The Truth kind of feels like anthony anderson was like "either y'all put my mom on this show or I won't do it" and it worked. Unless the original also featured the hosts mom, it's a good gimmick. She's also the official "shut the gently caress up and show us your answer" person.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Joel McHale is great hosting Card Sharks. He's actually having fun and engaging with the contestants.

He's a natural host, so I believe you. He's the Talk Soup guy, just got hosting in his bones! He also seems to have fun on To Tell The Truth so he's a good guest too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lmao at the unmelted cheese cross section shots with whatever hosed up cheese he's using sandwhich between barely toasted spaghetti bread. Kimchi wild but gently caress it, I'd try it. However generally speaking grilled cheese isn't a food you can improve with more expensive fancy ingredients, the less artisan the better. fuckin betty crocker butter from the brown tub slathered on a slice of the airiest one dollar white bread with american cheese, which literally only exists to be used in this one context.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched what's out for Peacemaker and what a bizarre show to hop into if you never saw the Suicide Squad movies, never saw a DC multiverse whatever, and are not into comicbook media mania... but I've been entertained and that seems to be overwhelmingly more important.

Aardvark! posted:

I liked the Proud family. I think

It's not something I had thought about in years, but I do remember these characters and seem to recall enjoying the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m really enjoying Archive 81 and I had no idea it was a podcast or adapted from anything. It’s nice and tense and has my favorite spooky sublime trope, stolen along with Bob’s approach over the couch from Twin Peaks. If it’s just ghosts and magic without any Lovecraft poo poo, I’ll be disappointed. I’m only halfway through, but I think it’s worth a watch.

I'm so happy hearing these positive things about it from folks who'd never heard of the original. I haven't watched it yet but I fell in love with season 1 and 2 of the podcast years ago and always felt it's a story/world people could enjoy in other mediums, even though it was about sound in a way well-suited to the radio broadcast type. I don't wanna spoil and for the show I genuinely have no clue what or where they'll take things, but in the podcast season 1 was not a disappointment and season 2 I was kind of like "what are you gonna do now?" and they were like "hold my tapes, we ain't even got started yet."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do goons seriously expect people to just know the origin of loving Moon Knight?

you can google anything these days

Open Source Idiom posted:

The preview image is a shot of the CGI moon knight costume, so it's front and centre every time I see a link to it.

But yeah, I watched the trailer twice. I feel like that's pretty normal, since these things are basically ads and marketing tools.

lol bruh clicking any advertisement to watch with your full attention, on purpose, is self-abuse.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i can't hear y'all when your mouth full of ads, chew before u speak

edit: now im kind of mad at dad from childhood, i know you heard us

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 18, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, Beavis returning, whatever, pretty funny look forward to seeing those gross dipshits again.

King of the Hill however manages to be a special shining star dealing with a type of folk and political bent that just doesn't exist in any wholesome or palatable way anymore. We got into an argument at work between some fellow hillfans over whether Hank would wear a maga hat and that was one of the most unpleasant uses of imagination I've ever experienced in a conversation. Cotton is charismatic, cheerful, pleasant social justice warrior compared to the atmosphere of Texas today and I think that's good cause to be skeptical of a new King of the Hill. Simple rednecks shenanigans aren't as amusing when those rednecks are actively fighting to get people killed, remove their voting rights, put bounties on their heads, etc. Not that conservatives weren't up to evil poo poo back then too, but now the mask is off and the emperor palpatine robes fully on.

I think Mike Judge could sharpen his teeth to say something of it, in theory, but I'm not gonna believe that'll happen for a second while it's all owned by fuckin Disney.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thats why you never go skiing

Escobarbarian posted:

The results of the TVIV last decade poll list whatsit that Looten Plunder organised have been posted!

It starts here, and I highly recommend you read the entire countdown, as it’s a lot of fun. But also, for the lazy along you, here’s the top 20:

05. The Leftovers
04. Twin Peaks: The Return
03. Mad Men
02. Better Call Saul
01. Breaking Bad

The Leftovers is really high for something I've only ever heard of from exactly this one line of text. Obviously a thread to dig through as to why it's good but even a google just gets me a kind of "not as bad as Lost vibe."

Number 1 is what I would've wagered to win on a reddit poll, but I'm a BB hater who like Better Caul Sall purely for Odenkirk reasons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

People's nominations in the thread do a good job of pointing out why it's good without spoiling anything

people don't need to tell me twice to watch something without looking anything up and I've been told thrice! I'll check it out sometime. I've had fantastic luck past couple years with diving in blind no expectations or ideas to various things and so far all I did was read a few random words of the wikipedia page enough to make a lazy Lost joke.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Somebody here the other day made some weird comments about Atlanta having too many straight men or something whatever their comment was made no sense to me but I also couldn't articulate why, so I went back and watched it again. Or some of it first time maybe, I really spaced out first watch it seems. The goober comment that prompted it still makes zero sense to me but drat what a fantastic show, thanks weird comment, probably wouldn't have re-watched if not for you.

Mu Zeta posted:

Found out the guy playing Vigilante in Peacemaker is a British dude. Throughly impressed with how good his accent is since it's like a billion times better than big actors like Benedict Cumberbatch. He sounds spot on perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQfRYp3ke8

Until they showed his face I was convinced it would be Adam Scott.

Looten Plunder posted:

I so thought it was going be Adam Scott before the reveal. I know his voice isn't totally spot on for Scott but he has the same cadence and I thought it might him doing a weird choice.

lol got so excited to share I hit quote before reading the very next post.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started watching Blackish mostly b/c Anthony Anderson kept mentioning it on To Tell The Truth and like it's not a bad show but anytime Anthony narrates anything he has the exact same host-cadence as on To Tell The Truth. He'll be laying out something, premise of the scene or whatever topic they're on... but it sounds exactly like you're waiting for him to read some terrible pun, pause, point it out, then continue. He's great host and vocal narrator for a gameshow, but having heard it first for so many seasons, his voice in Blackish sticks out because I keep waiting for corny puns and wordplay that never comes. The bossy friend from Girlfriends is the mom in Blackish and she does great there, I remember sort of not liking her character on Girlfriends as a teen but she's won me back over.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Jenifer Lewis and Lawrence Fishburne too. I haven't watched it in a couple of seasons, but the terrible actress daughter is off on her own spinoff now right? The other kids are great.

Yeah Lawrence Fishbourne is good, everyone is good really. Not used to this many kids being in a show and none of them are terrible either in character writing or acting. The twins doing their Pinky & the Brain stuff is good hijynx. The mother character is good but also I kind of wish she was just played by Anthony's real mom just having seen her on TTTT.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i'm not racist, some of my best kids are mexican

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is she an artist, finally fulfilling the title's promise? or she yet another misleadingly named child detective

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s weird how so many people these days forget that you can just torrent things

Why even bother when some website just lets you stream, maybe even higher resolution than netflix or whatever might let you have.

bull3964 posted:

It's effort beyond pressing play and when you have a 30 series backlog that can be watched by just pressing play, it's not worth it.

go to primewire or anywhere like that and it's just as easy as clicking anything on a streaming website

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, and there's no way the show follows the podcast's second season, should it even get renewed.

which is a shame because I think that's when they took their great foundation and went into overdrive. For me season 2 was like "no way they top the first one, should I even bother with this" to "hot drat, season 1 was barely a warm-up." I think I'll relisten to podcast and catch season 3 after I watch the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always saw it as a less-bad Friends, but not quite a good show in and of itself. Didn't help I just didn't like Ted or find him interesting or funny while he enjoys unearned success and has a really rich dating and social life while acting so hard being him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

swickles posted:

HIMYM wasn't afraid to veer ourside the standard model of sitcoms either. They had some random rear end episodes that seem more like out of Community than Friends. Even though it was maybe a dozen or so out of 200 episodes, it was enough to set it apart from other similar sitcoms.

Any of these outliers come to mind? I really liked a lot of the actors on the show so I watched more of it than I would for not enjoying it overall but not remembering anything myself. We talking like a community genre episode or musical or like a paintball special?