Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

pictured: "people drawn to one another to learn lessons necessary for growth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

so this time they break up for real, right?

...right?...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i looked it up, and the first strip mentioning wilbur is march 25, 1993. he buys an apartment in charterstone and gets bullied by Ian Whatshisface for writing an advice column for women.

he was every bit as much of a dweeb then as now.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

"where there's a will there's a way" is very much a phrase implying he wouldn't die, so i mean

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

they had a good way for her to not have to write about wilbur, but unfortunately he survived, so

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What? I don't read Flash Gordon, but I don't recall him looking like that?

it's how he looks in the 80s movie.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

this sucks

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i don't think you need to continue being a "true friend" to someone who continually and predictably shows that level of disregard for your feelings and concerns, actually

sometimes it's healthy to not forgive people!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Is that "melon" that shows up in Japanese art and Mario games and whatever just a honeydew or something else 🍈

if i'm recalling correctly, it's specifically a "musk melon", which is a type of canteloupe.

they're also pretty gosh dang expensive?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

oh no, who told Charles Boyce about crypto?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

pretty sure garlic/alliums are extremely toxic to dogs, so uhh, :rip: ?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i'd been operating on the assumption that Mokke was a lockdown/quarantine stress venting comic for q-rais (and also finding it kinda relateable/enjoyable on that level, tbh)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Good thing we settled that thing that was already settled.

Look at the the dog.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

not even close, but people (and more importantly governments) are sure ready to tell everyone that it is

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

new Nancy should do more visual gag strips. when i think of bushmiller nancy i think mostly about the simple visual gags, and i feel like modern Nancy doesn't do enough of them (and when it has done them, they've been good!)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

you broke my grill posted:

"A miss is still not as good as a kilometer to most Americans."

what?

it's a play on the phrase "a miss is as good as a mile"

which means "it doesn't matter how close you were to success, if you failed you failed" basically

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Heart of the City just basically looks like a modern webcomic/a lot of kids' cartoons, to me? And I'm enjoying seeing it, even if it's mostly just kinda milquetoast. I probably would have enjoyed it a lot when I was a tween.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Phoebe is doing the whimsical thing and Heart is more grounded slice-of-life stuff for young girls, it makes sense that one has more appeal outside the age range than the other to me

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

everything in this thread post-1950 is poo poo except for calvin and hobbes and jucika. both of those are charming and sweet.

e: i guess i like ballard street too

i will not hear this q-rais slander

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Have we actually seen Mrs. Nelson since she returned from medical leave? I vaguely remember Curtis being like "oh she's hot now" but I legit do not recall her appearing again.

she showed up like once, with the new hairstyle, and barely at all before or since

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

gleebster posted:

It's probably an Oregon thing like "Jojos".

i'm a native oregonian and i've never called, or heard them called, a lady beetle in my entire dang life :psyduck:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

csammis posted:

I'm know I'm old as poo poo on these dead forums but isn't hotlinking disallowed?

the reason it was disallowed is because the population of this site used to be large enough that thousands of goons viewing the same GBS thread was enough bandwidth usage to knock smaller sites offline. this, uh, hasn't really been an issue anymore for several reasons

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

glad to see you back, and gladder still to see marlys/lynda barry back :)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Looks like Randy Milholland is being given a go at doing Sunday Popeye. Could be neat?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it bears repeating that Wallace The Brave is incredibly good

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

absolute joyless piece of garbage who can't get any enjoyment out of listening to abba

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

in what world does anyone think gunther is "hot"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

man, marlys hits pretty hard basically every time, for me

thanks for posting it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

your loss, Lynda Barry is consistently one of the rawest and best things posted in here

the worst stuff is probably Reddick's vomit, Holbrook, and Batiuk

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The messiness, chaos, and cramped form of Marlys is, like, entirely the point of it. Marlys completely and accurately sells the way that kids write stories and try to imitate the media they've seen but do a poor job of it. I remember making comics as a like, 10-year-old, that honestly felt a lot like some of these strips in composition. The ones where she's writing essays are pretty funny and goofy, but what really gets me are the comics that capture the hectic emotional state of being adolescent -- they just get into my bones in a way not a lot of other stuff does.

Like this one, I had to just sit there and feel for a moment after reading it:

I will admit that Marlys/Lynda Barry in general definitely reads worse on a computer screen (or, even more terribly, a phone screen), and it's absolutely worth picking up in print if you're enjoying it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

right on, marlys

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I think I said this while James Allen was still doing it, or maybe it was when he was fired but they hadn't brought in a new person: they should just kill the weekday strips and keep the Sunday nature facts strips. Give them to an artist who will take a little time on them. Aside from getting clever with the title panels, I have been unimpressed by Jules' versions of those too, so I'd rather it be someone else. Even a rotation of artists would be good!
Honestly, growing up we only got the Sunday paper, and it had the Mark Trail nature strips in it. I didn't even know there was a whole serialized drama or whatever attached to it until much later in life, but I liked those Sundays. :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I will never hate read a comic, and you cannot make me :colbert:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

riderchop posted:

wtf

have book preorder launches changed since i was a kid where it was just you standing in line freezing outside the B&N or inside a walmart surrounding a cube they'd uncover and turn into a frenzy as you reached for the worst wizard book you read that year

if it's a fairly popular (and probably YA) book, they can sometimes turn into little mini-party-like events. this happened most commonly with harry potter novels but it wouldn't surprise me if other big franchises had things like this too.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Pity there's also no drama then.

So what's the appeal? Ordinary things happen to ordinary people and nothing particularly funny or dramatic results. Why would anyone want to read this?

for an adult, probably nothing. but as a young kid I took a lot of comfort in reading fairly bland stories about people my age living their normal lives, occasionally having minor conflicts with their friends which always resolved amiably, getting up to low-impact shenanigans like school talent shows etc.

i would have absolutely loved this version of Heart back then

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

these poor kids, god drat. reminds me of the kids down the street from me growing up. :(

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Kennel posted:

I'm ready to get horny for Count Weirdly.

ah man, count weirdly has absolute tumblr sexyman vibes now that i think about it :negative:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

I have never known of a cat that refused to run to the food bowl if they were even remotely able to hear or see the bowl. Usually cats are screaming at you for food.

that cat is probably terrified of the noisy, rambunctious small child, if i had to guess

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

Ok. And the "woke" thing? I really know nothing about Gil Thorp except that one of the 'Left Behind' guy wrote it for awhile.
Tobias is trans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

this kid is gonna grow up into one of those people who doesn't wash their legs because "the water runs down and cleans them", isn't he