Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

The Bloop posted:

Love these threads

A sincere thanks to all who post comics, even the bad ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I hope Mary claws her way over the railing, soaking wet and hair full of seaweed, to convince Estelle she must marry Wilbur.

"Settle, Estelle," she urges as she wrings out the hem of her sweater. "It's better to be with someone who doesn't respect you than ALONE!"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god please have a drunken wilbur fall overboard and drown

We should be so lucky.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Quotin' for the new page.

You're free, Estelle! YOU'RE FREE!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

goatface posted:

I hope he washes up on a beach and becomes the new Phantom.

The Ghost Who Gets poo poo-Faced!*

(*in the Bandar tongue)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Aw, thanks Bruce and Bernice. :unsmith:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

drat, cold to doxx my cat like that.

Also, lol, Wilbur is so unpalatable even the ocean spits him out.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Well, smoke up and press play

Holy poo poo, that's Brian Blessed in a winged helmet, sign me up.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

You know, I hate going to get the women's loving exam, but I don't think I've ever bitched about it as much as Ed here has.

Is there anything Ed accepts with grace and good humor?

(No. The answer is no)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Murdstone posted:

gently caress you, Mary Worth!

Or we could, I dunno, not put up with Wilbur's poo poo and all be a lot happier.

Except Mary. She needs that sweet, sweet bullshit to feel truly alive.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The_Other posted:

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 – Jason Concludes!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

So that wraps up Steeple: Clotted Crime, what are the thread's thoughts? I felt a bit awkward posting it here as it's technically not a newspaper comic, but this thread has a lot of fans of Allison and I figured they would enjoy it. Unfortunately, as Allison stated, he will be taking a hiatus from Steeple for a while, so we won't see what Magus Tom has planned for the Jason-creature. Fortunately Allison will be starting another comic next Monday on his Forward Slash Scare site, which hosted the Circus Windows comic staring Lottie and Mildred that I posted in last years thread. That said I don't know exactly what this new comic will be about. I had assumed Allison was going to do another Lottie comic, but now I'm not so sure. It may be another Shelly Winters story, or it might feature another one of his characters, such as Esther De Groot or Mildred Haversham (Allison had talked about doing a Mildred comic in the afterword of the last New Bobbins collection). It might even be something wholly original, who knows (well Allison does, but apart from him...).

Also here is the cover, with art by Max Sarin, for the third Steeple collection coming out this summer. This collection includes Christmas with Clovis, Author Unknown (the Lottie/Steeple crossover) and Clotted Crime.

I miss Shauna. But apparently Allison doesn't have any more stories for her.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Thranguy posted:

Outlander foreshadows a six month long time travel dream with an English villain who looks like Wilbur.

Seems like Outlander would be way too sexy for Mary's tastes. I would have figured her for those Amish romances.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Aleta takes no poo poo from savages.

Excuse me good sirs, my husband is needed at home, we have a year old child who doesn't sleep well at night.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding if my favorite is the multiwrench or the horner.

Power-whisk or gtfo

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

*I* got it, Rose.

:eng101::respek::eng101:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

BOLTAR IS THIRSTY!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

Sometimes it be like that.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 05, 1950)

Boltar, you scamp. :allears:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Shirec posted:

I know Mary Worth is a soap opera strip with all the caveats that implies but good lord. No woman (or any other person socialized in such a way) would be that unaware. I have to imagine also teachers are at least trained somewhat on this but perhaps not?

An adjunct at a community college receives zero (0) pedological and classroom training, though she's probably had to do the basic Title IX training. But that generally deals with the power differential between profs and students, not what to do about students making heart eyes at you. That requires a level of emotional intelligence, which obviously is not Toby's strong suit.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Kennel posted:

Dustin

I hope we'll get a deep dive into whatever Kelley thinks D&D is.

Chick tracts, mostly.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Another cat for Georgia Dunn! Somebody stop this woman!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbLdJ4TPm55/?utm_medium=copy_link

That kitten has serious tortitude.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

Sure is. Who's Doing It Worse? Vote now!

I think they're both equally terrible in their own special way. :angel:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

And if Kadia's never met Kit, why would she kill herself over him?

Mozz really is just making this poo poo up as he goes, isn't he?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Awwww, Wallace's Dad. :3:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

maltesh posted:

"So, we're going to have to kill my sisters' husbands, my sisters' children if they have any by then, and possibly my sisters. Be ready."

Arf: :allears:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i just wanted to say that i've been reading this thread and its predecessors sporadically since uhhhhh like 2009, popping in every few years to only eventually get bored because newspaper comics are so dire these days, and i can't believe that

a) funky winkerbean is still running
b) it's still somehow about that lady who died of cancer, just like it has been every other time i've read this thread

TomBat wrote about cancer once and it was WORLD CHANGING. :mad:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

When this lady first appeared I thought, "Well, maybe she's an older lady who just needs someone to talk to". I should have known that if Marta dreaded a customer coming in, there was probably a good reason for it.

You've got the ones who just want to talk, and then you've got the ones whose need to talk turns into a power trip.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

And then he died!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Slammy posted:

Mopsy December 23, 1937

Holy poo poo Mopsy.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

TampaTango posted:

Grim, no he gets it. This is what I love about the classic Val. It wasn’t until the 20th century that a woman could easily own property, there were exceptions but widowhood meant you were at the mercy of whatever male relative inheriting the martial property.

That and it's all well and good for the attractive young lovers to get their happy ending, but what about all the men who died before that point, and by extension all the women and children left behind?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

So that's where we're going with this? It's fine to have a little thing going with a student so long as you don't hurt their tender feels? gently caress outta here with that poo poo, Mary Worth.

eta: It's actually not okay, ever, because it's a huge ethical breach and misuse of power. This storyline is making me have EXTREMELY STRONG OPINIONS.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

loving SERIOUSLY?

*flips table*

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

Feh. We know what happened to the Roanoke colony, Georgia!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Then use your words like a drat grownup, and tell him to piss off, Toby! :argh:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know if it's just because it was the first one I read, but none of John Allison's comics have ever grabbed me or entertained me quite as much as Bad Machinery. They're all just fine or pretty good, and they all have occasionally brilliant humor, but Bad Machinery is the one that sticks with me.

I guess some of Steeple is pretty up my alley too, but I feel like it has different aims and excels at different kinds of stories.

Yeah, it's why I can't really get into the later Lottie stories as much. I find myself missing Shauna and the boys.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

:five:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd agree that Lottie being in this weird limbo in terms of character development is an issue. I'm as big a Lottie fan as anyone, but I do think part of the problem is she worked best as a single (main) character in a larger cast. Allison is generally good at writing sassy, eccentric young women, but they function best when they have other strong personalities to help drive the story forward. I liked Wicked Things well enough, and was pretty lukewarm on Circus Windows and Solver, despite really liking Lottie as a character. I think she (and all of the Bad Machinery kids) really shine as a whole, rather than as individual characters. I can see why he focused on Lottie, given that she's one of the more interesting and memorable (and I assume popular) characters in the Bobbinsverse, but I think pulling her out of the larger cast also kind of made the potential storylines stale. As much as I like Little Claire as a character, she also feels like she worked better in a larger ensemble.

It's like when you have a breakout character in an ensemble tv show who gets their own spinoff. There's always something missing.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

You've got a repeat on the first and third strips there, Vargo.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vargo posted:

allright allright here's yer precious missing Wallace:

Worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, this is him explaining in detail how and why Kit Jr. broke the legacy of the Phantom by going and doing something else.

With any luck we'll find out why Heloise's friend apparently commits suicide over this since that was something people found odd when it got brought up earlier.

Is that who the girl's supposed to be, or am I just goon face blind? Have she and Kit ever even met?