Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
was this another hot trend/big thing that people got worried about in the 50s, like the whole issue with marriage lawsuits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

milquetoast comics from 1920 are only more interesting to us, in comparison, because they depict banalities that have been scoured from our lives by the hands of time

rae/nancy/heart/trail are fine

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Safe Havens is fascinating for many of the same reasons as K+K; it's a world that should operate on fundamentally different moral premises due to some massive changes in society but Holbrook is too lazy so he just has it be "today, but with protagonist centered morality"

i'm interested in the outcomes of bird-conspiracy-hellworld as much as i am where the planet is ruled by an immortal shapechanging god-queen who just acts like a normal grad student

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days May 12, 1960

does anyone have the Out Our Way where the cowboy was lamenting that he was "too young to fight in the great war but will be too old to fight the war against the martians" in like 1932? i get a similar intense dread of hindsight from this

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

EBB posted:

me reading holbrook logic:

what strikes me the most about this one is if this world is engineered not to cause the environmental problems and inevitable disaster of the human world, why are there endangered species? why were pandas allowed to evolve themselves into a non-viable niche? why did any of evolution work in exactly these same ways?

really dumb, but really funny to boggle at

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Comic Strips 2022: Anti-Communist* Baseball League *Collier's Magazine, 9/12/36

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

maltesh posted:

The wind. You're a conifer, pollinators are not involved. Also, any child of theirs is, by the apparent rules of the world, going to be an insectivore, and not interested in the nectar you don't have.

the tree is too polite to acknowledge that it expects to watch them gently caress

wait, current-day holbrook has them with a kid. did it address the tree watching them gently caress???

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Did old timey people really want to beat the poo poo out of actors for no apparent reason?

Good Listener posted:

I'm assuming in this case, most actors seemed to be snake oil salesmen peddling bullshit that didn't work. I could be wrong though.

May I recommend a seminal work on the subject

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Even when you can see it coming War Lady Sicko Mode is so cool. :allears:

Any easily accessible examples? Sounds fascinating.

It was the sort of thing you had to notice week to week, since every individual strip was pretty comprehensible, if bland, but there was just no consistency of location or action. Characters would be in completely different places between days, and he really couldn't keep track of who was doing what at what time, or what time it even was.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

*for "the ghost who fucks"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i love boarding house and the duck because sometimes they make me say out loud "who the gently caress actually talked like this????"

e: frame up a nice smack of lemonade. seriously

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 23, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i love cthu-pin and wish him all the best in reshaping the world to his dread designs

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

baseball comic is giving hella tomorrow's joe vibes, excited

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Comic Strips 2022: What kid in the city can compete with a guy who eats mountain snakes?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Holbrook is a hack and a lot of his poo poo is dumb, and that's not how Silkworms woooork, but that bit at least is neat to me.

i think that him establishing that people can't generally be trusted to not eat their tailor as their clothes are being worked on brings into question once more how this society functions at all

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

out our way and boarding house are in fact better when they're impenetrably dense

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True September 4, 1919

what in the hell is this referencing

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

fondue posted:

It's so odd to see the characters interacting like this but it does bring them up to the 21st century. I really like Olive Oils new design, though.

i think it's fine to bring them up to date image-wise but i want more meandering dream logic odysseys like the ones from last century rather than neighborhood antics

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

why does the goat ask this? would a goat not do the same?

every time there's some new weirdness to blindside me

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I'm in suspense for what'll happen to the booze sarcophagus in boarding house

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

SO is it becoming regular from here on in boarding house that stories (such as they are) go multiple weeks? I'm surprised at how fast The Major takes over the strip compared to popeye and his

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

what the hell is the duck comic riffing off of. probably not a literal volcano

also wow these boarding house storylines do go on

e: probably this given the whole "everyone has gone on vacation to see the volcano" premise

e2: rae the doe is the real example of how to do animal has characteristic humor

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 9, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

It’s weird that jr williams is equally preoccupied with “that time my sister got married but only moved down the street” and “that time i was one of the last remaining cowboys”

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I love these baseball murder boys. Are you considering posting it on mangadex or similar when you’re through

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

It's like she's self-aware about the fact that she has no agency and functions only as a prize for male characters in this story.

however, "save me with your foul baseball sorcery" is probably the best thing to ask of a husband

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Good Listener posted:

Was it illegal for women to turn down baseball related proposals back in the day cuz Maggie you really had no reason to actually marry him if you didn't want to. Other than I guess your pain in the rear end mom?

as far as i'm aware, arranged marriages were common practice in korea well into the latter half of last century so the mom might well have forced her hand

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

almost all the old-timey comics are great, and the current-day comics range from interesting to decent to fascinatingly terrible. there's a lot to like.

you don't even need to hate-read all the bad ones. i just skip funky and foob but holbrook's nonsense is always too convoluted to not boggle at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Nothing so literal unless you were living way out in the boonies. Maggie's just...uh...24 I want to guess? She was getting a little old to be unmarried, and it's already been mentioned that her father is dead, so the family has no means of financial support and are too respectably middle class to entertain the idea of the surviving women having to work. Maggie's younger sister might or might not have been in college at the time. I don't remember and I haven't gotten that far ahead in the translation yet.

Now if you want a pedantic answer rather than a helpful one, technically the story is taking place in the aughts, because it was the eighties when we started, and we've flashed forward into the future. That's going to be in an upcoming panel. Whether that was true in the original comic or if this is a foob style lazy update I'm honestly not sure. All of the monetary figures I've been giving only really make sense in terms of what money was worth when the comic was originally written. It's equally plausible that the author didn't know that inflation existed, or that whoever added the date 200x just didn't bother to fix the financial references because it was too much work.

The fact that this started in the 80s and not like the 50s is absolutely throwing me yes