Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Potsticker posted:

What's black and white and read all over?

A zebra with a sunburn, because no one reads newspapers anymore! Waka Waka Waka!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon by Charles Boyce deserves the world, and a big physical collection. I wish nothing but the best for Charles Boyce and his wonderful understanding of technology. No, none of the jokes ever make sense. It's perfect.

Compu-Toon is charming as hell, so I looked up Charles Boyce on Wikipedia and read this paragraph:

quote:

In February 2008, Boyce was involved in a protest which called for a greater representation of black cartoon artists in newspaper comics. The protest sought to bring attention to the problem of “tokenism” in newspapers, and brings to light the issues that many black comic artists face when trying to publish their works. In addition to Boyce, the artists that participated in the protest were Jerry Craft, Charlos Gary, Steve Watkins, Keith Knight, Bill Murray, and Tim Jackson. For one day, these cartoonists all drew a very similar comic strip, which showed a scene with a white reader looking at a minority-drawn strip and complaining that it is a rip-off of the Boondocks.

So if nobody hears from me for a while, it's because I'm looking for Boyce's contribution

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 06, 1949)

That last panel is delightful, I love Vintage Val

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Haifisch posted:

Johnny Hazard

It's refreshing to see a competent woman agent as a prominent character in "Johnny Hazard"

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Crab Dad posted:

Oh sorry not up to date on the latest martial aid catalog.

Well, like...what did you think it referred to?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Wilbur should just use that title for everything he writes

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Poor Lupin, and poor everyone else, the other cats are going to miss him, too. I believe he was the oldest cat

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Working overnight was fine for me, but I'm pretty nocturnal and have an appointment to do a sleep study for delayed sleep phase disorder. It's definitely not for everyone, especially not someone with a clearly severe sleep disorder like Dustin. Why isn't anyone concerned about his health? (Because they hate him, but still) (gently caress Ed)

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

It's stupid and terrible and I want it

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Crab Dad posted:

I mean.... men worked all over as farmers and traders. Got a better place to set up shop than the local big city? Seem like cities have always focused on things men want to separate them from their money.

They mean that penis graffiti was extremely common and found on buildings that we've since found weren't brothels

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Crab Dad posted:

Either way nothing's been proven other than dudes like to draw dicks on things.

I mean, it's been proven that a lot of the buildings we originally thought were brothels, actually weren't precisely because people have always loved obscene graffiti. It had a regular number of brothels, it wasn't full of whorehouses like we used to think

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 17, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

goatface posted:

What even is pudding, really?

The Bloop posted:

A miserable little pile of sucrose

I just want you to know this was pretty great

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Those bushes in the last panel are flipping us off

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 1/29-31/48

Oh, the Camp Fire Girls! Started "unofficially" in 1910, the Camp Fire Girls were created as female counterpart to the Boy Scouts, and predate the Girl Scouts (originally called Girl Guides) by two years. It went co-ed in 1975 and is now called Camp Fire Boys and Girls. They don't have the same brand awareness as the Boy Scouts or the Girl Scouts, on account of not selling stuff like cookies or pop corn, but they're still around. Former Camp Fire Girls include Madonna, Shirley Temple, Gladys Knight, and Janis Joplin. I was also one, but we didn't do outdoor stuff and I never made it past Bluebird.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Slammy posted:

So It Seems April 14, 1952

Smooch Comics

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

The_Other posted:

John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days Foreshadowing perhaps?

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

I like it, but that's partly because the girls are like alternate-universe versions of Lottie (Esther), Mildred (Susan) and Shauna with a dash of Little Clair (Daisy)

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

DC Money posted:

excellent!
and about as inside as an inside joke could possibly get.

Ahem

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 6, 2000)

Janis, you didn't have to kill that poor cat

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 16, 1949)

Aleta is unfailingly amazing

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 16, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Fyadophobic posted:

I just wanted to note how much I love the way The Powerful Katrinka's stength/muscles are never the butt of the joke, never mocked or put down, only marveled at or admired.

And feared, don't forget feared

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: The homemade sled (05/1937)

This is so wholesome :3:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

My font does not support diacritics... At least here in Japan, aggravating performance Turkish ice cream has been very popular the past couple few years.

Turkish ice cream stunts are a delight, I got to interact with one in Europe who gave me a little bonus baby ice cream cone with candy eyes, for being a good sport

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Haifisch posted:

Mary was living in New York before this(I think?), so for there to be any time zone difference at all she must be in a very small strip of Florida.

Santa Royale is in California:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

Calvin's classmates yelling at him in unison but instead of "BATS AREN'T BUGS" it's "RABBITS ARE RODENTS"

Is that the joke, because rabbit's aren't rodents

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

It's a walking tour of the walking tour

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Alhazred posted:

But again, the boys gets to fight armed pirates, the girls aren't expected to able to deal with one unarmed creep.

The boys are doing a race and are traveling in a group with several men from their home, and what kind of idiot thinks that a pair of teenage girls should be left to fend for themselves AGAINST A SEX TRAFFICKER? In a city where they don't speak the loving language? They aren't Heloise, they aren't fighters OR familiar with the modern world, and you DO know that most human trafficking victims aren't just kidnapped in broad daylight off the street by total strangers, right? That they're lured and taken advantage of? Also, no one knows where these girls are, so if they were kidnapped, no one would know where to look for them, or how

Also, I'm pretty sure if it was a pair of teenage Mori boys wandering through the city, the Phantom would also discreetly watch over them

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True March 5, 1919

Shaking hands will henceforth be called "mixing paws," thank you for your attention

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 04, 1949)

King Arthur knows how to deal with an impulsive, thieving, house-wrecking troublemaker: make him take care of Geoffrey

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 5/19/46

Just for perspective, $378.60 in 1946 is $5,458.60 in today's money

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

Andertoons consistently delivers, and I appreciate you posting it

The_Other posted:

also, turns out Saoshyant started a John Allison thread in these forums about two weeks ago and I just noticed yesterday (that's what I get for only looking at my subscribed threads). Don't know if I'll keep posting in this thread as it seems kind of silly to have the comic in two places on this forum.

Please keep posting them here, I'll just make my witty observations twice. >ahem<

The_Other posted:

Giant Days x Batman

Looks like the Riddler has become the Wriggler

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

and Bane has become Bake

And Catwoman is being played by Jocelyn Wildstein, good for her

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Samovar posted:

In today's Blueberry: Y'know, Western Ol' Painless wasn't nearly as effective as his descendent, or Blueberry gets saved in the nick of time... AGAIN, or Trevor meets with some old friends...

I've got to say, since you translated the Chinese character's dialogue in an inoffensive manner, there's probably no need to spoiler the pages he's in. His visual depiction is pretty bland and unremarkable, he's just portrayed in period-appropriate clothing. I appreciate the reasoning for it, though, and it's your call. It's good to remember that you never know who's looking at this thread, as we all learned when Jeffrey got contacted by Gary Larson's people over the last thread.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Slammy posted:

So It Seems May 13, 1952

The ads on the back of the comics are great. "Do you smell BAD, Podner?"

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Howard Beale posted:

I am old enough that I went to high school with girls who dressed in Candace's fashion, and nobody gave them collective finger-pointing poo poo for it at all. I know some girls got into arguments and trouble with what teachers considered overly revealing clothing, but that was nothing on Candace's level. This shaming storyline is really disgusting.

Lucky, my school had a hall monitor/support staff whose sole job seemed to be getting girls in trouble for wearing tank tops with thin straps. I remember a friend of mine sailing into our chemistry class and asking to borrow my extra shirt because the lady was right behind her; that woman actually came into our classroom to make sure my friend had covered her shameful spaghetti straps. They even tried to ban spaghetti strap, off-shoulder, and strapless style dresses from senior prom; we got the school board to stop that, though.

edit: that's a crappy top post, here's an old and relevant Family Circus

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 6, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 4/25/48

Holy poo poo, Birdie is a beast

I love your edits

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 05, 1950)

I have a lot of respect for Boltar's commitment to never wearing a shirt, no matter the weather

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 9/1/46

See that sign in the last panel? "Smoky Stover" creator Bill Holman liked to include "Notary Sojac" signs in his strips among the many background gags. As it turns out, that was Holman's way of "wishing my readers Merry Christmas throughout the year." He had read an article in the newspaper that listed Christmas greetings in different languages, along with a phonetic spelling; "notary sojac" was the pronunciation of Nodlaig Sodhach, Merry Christmas in Gaelic.

Except that there's no such language as Gaelic, it's called Irish or Welsh or Scottish--maybe Scottish Gaelic or whatever, but don't let anyone catch you using the G word if you're in the British Isles, they don't like it. (I got lectured so badly about that in Ireland by like six people at once, it was ridiculous.) Besides that, nodlaig sodhach doesn't mean anything in any Gaelic language. "Nodlaig" appears to be a mashup of the Irish and Scottish words for Christmas, nodlog and nollaig respectively. "Sodhach" is just nonsense that vaguely resembles Irish for "happy," sásta, if you squint your eyes and have a couple drinks. Still, it's a nice sentiment from Bill Holman.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 5/16/48

I can't help reading Hy's dialogue in Jack McBrayer's voice

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Echoeing the love for "Uramachi Sakaba," thank you for posting it, Giant Ethicist!

Quick question for anyone, but where did the current thread title come from?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

The Bloop posted:

I assume Rufus Regan was a real person who payed to be in the strip like the fursonas in K&K

"Paid," not "payed"

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

~Coxy posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Gravedigger Set-Up

This is fantastic, just so you know

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

"One does not simply walk out of Francisville," I like the little jokes you throw in sometimes. I appreciate the attention to proper geography, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 6/21-23/48

I have not the faintest idea what word "s------ly" is supposed to stand for.

"Smelly," I think