Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What's black and white and read all over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Powerful Katrinka posted:

A zebra with a sunburn, because no one reads newspapers anymore! Waka Waka Waka!

As a child the original joke never made sense to me, the wordplay between red and read was boring (and for a while I was convinced that was why it couldn't be the actual punchline) and all the weird "wrong" answers were always way more entertaining.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

what is pash?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Selachian posted:

A kiss, particularly of the big sloppy type.

The Bloop posted:

Smol kees.

Thank you friends.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

We see him constantly in different jobs and at the temp agency. How is that not looking for work????

Absolute Boomer brain.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Being a young webcomic creator would be actively detrimental to your chances of getting the job.

Not sure why you'd make this a requirement. Why wouldn't you want someone who practices and shows commitment in their youth? Like, yeah the webcomics pool has a lot of muck you need to rake through, but also that's how a lot of brilliant creators get their start.(though the really great ones can do far better than newspaper comics)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

To be honest it's almost entirely a dunk on Mark Trail, which sucks

Dana Simpson did some atrocious webcomic stuff before Heavenly Nostrils and Randy Milholland who did some fantastic Popeye strips has a long running webcomic of let's say uneven quality, but absolutely fits with serious, straight-laced and arc-based. There have been fantastic people doing webcomics that are far too good for the likes of the newspaper, too and have gone on to other careers in publishing, writing, cartoons and other things that I would also rate high above that of being a newspaper cartoonist.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Larryb posted:

To be fair to Simpson, Raine Dog was probably the worst thing they ever did (I seem to recall their early webcomic Ozzy & Millie being ok for the most part anyway)

You're right, it's probably not fair to leave out that Dana also did stuff that wasn't as bad as her worst, but I wanted to illustrate the gulf between some of what she did before and what she does now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Don't worry, here's the next day's strip:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RIP Lupin, you were a good catte.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Principal is a person because they're your "pal"!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's okay, I looked at the newspaper where they printed the real strip:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

We don't see Wilbur in-frame yet because he's got a cyborg eye and a robot arm after defeating the nefarious mad scientist who had taken over the island with a mechanical fortress.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Oh, Jental.

No i.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Elementals Force
vs
Strong Force

I've seen better naming in City of Heroes jfc. The pose of Baryon seems really close to the Chad of Virgin vs Chad, too. Him and Dr. Atmos, who looks like he has one leg and one arm (Scorch does too the more I look at it), are just horribly posed. And then Atmos and the Subterranian both having their legs flee off the page makes the art look horribly off-center.

Sentinels of the Multiverse, especially really on, had some really dodgy art. But you could tell that it was being done by someone who was legitimately a fan of the medium and the art style. Batiuk looks like he puts absolutely no thought or effort into this thing he's supposedly a fan of.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Who, or what, is Garfieldman?

Imagine a wealthy man sitting in a high-backed chair wearing a smoking jacket and reading a newspaper near a large window, when suddenly one of those plastic garfield phones crashes through the glass.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

goatface posted:

She just left the kid alone in the house.

With the dog she's looking for so that we, the audience, can be perfectly clear that Luann is an idiot and should be scorning her for her idiocy rather than sympathizing with her for believing she's lost a beloved pet.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Abundant Fish Pepper Rabbit is a pretty good name meaning ngl.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I'm surprised that turbo boomer that Ed is, he would allow his wife to handle the finances. Especially when I know we've seen a bunch of "women be shoppin." strips in the past.

Pick a loving lane you caveman - Either your wife handles the money, in which case you don't really get to bitch about how it gets spent (or not in this case), or do it your drat self.

Being able to bitch about it is exactly why he has her do it rather than taking care of it himself. He doesn't want things to go well, he wants to bitch.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Maybe it's just me but I think people might be put off by the idea of boiling it.

When I went to tokyo I asked a friend who had family there what's the one thing that I should know or watch out for that I wasn't going to find out from travel guides or whatever and she told me "Don't order the chicken." Which I thought was kind of weird at the time but after two weeks in Japan I was really hungry for some good chicken and I eat plenty of food at japanese restaurants in california that have chicken and I want to tell you I've never eaten anything from a restaurant anywhere that tasted so bad as what I got.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

riderchop posted:

well!!! what did you have

The chicken was disgusting. It was weirdly rubbery and tasted like it had been cooked to the point where it had only the hint of it's normal flavor and then soaked in cold soy sauce for a week. I tried all sorts of different food while I was there and it was all fantastic otherwise.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

Okay Holbrook, that mouse is a real gently caress machine. We get it.

Look this guy really loves his CHARACTER CREATED JUST FOR THIS STORYLINE TO gently caress THE SNAKE

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Christ. I don't know what's worse, Holbrook's mouse sex fantasy or Lynn Johnston's secondary school slut-shaming saga.

I'm gonna vote for bad parenting as being worse. Being a weirdo by yourself? Not so bad. loving up your kids? Guillotine.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

What's Monobun saying?

はい

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Never understood why you'd even miss a girl who could be "stolen" by acting like a complete rear end in a top hat but it's such a common trope

Men feel entitled to the things they want. And they think of women as things. And do not care how the women in this situation feel.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Ok, Boomer.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

This strip is so very good :allears:

Also I want to throw in for enjoying Axa and seeing it posted.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

they should make me king of fart

#rekt

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Larry Bird Gang

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

WHAT POINT?!?!?!

If the Phantom lets Savarna out she'll go kill one of her abusers and that will cause the Phatom's Son to die in a retaliatory bombing raid. Good moral.

How does Mozz know all these details about Savarna's past and that guy she kills in his story? Assuming he's not making all of it up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doomykins posted:

The point is that it feels good to enact justice for Savarna and free her from superjail and then for her to get some really righteous vengeance buuuuuuut good intentions and unintended consequences something something entire city bombed to hell and your son dies, dude.

How Mozz knows this in this much detail is a stretch to tell the story to us readers but he's a something something prophetic wiseman.

If you let any story about how things can have unintended consequences prevent you from acting, you will never do anything.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Nancy 1947
3/25

this made me laugh so drat hard.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

fondue posted:

I didn't now, a decade from when I started reading this thread, that Prince Valiant would be my favorite comic.

I had always heard Prince Valiant was good, but when I tried to read it in the paper, I never could wrap my head around it. It seemed very boring and was kind of hard to follow. But being able to experience it in this thread I can now understand. It's a fantastic comic that's well written and is often quite funny with a good cast of characters.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

catlord posted:

My newspaper didn't have it, so the only times I saw it was when I went to hang out with a friend after church, since their newspaper had it, but that's no way to read it.

In my local paper it wasn't with the other comics. It and doonsbury and-- something else I think were on some other page that was mostly full of article text continued from the front page. Political cartoons (that weren't Doonsbury) were separate from that and the main comics pages too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Presumably that the girl named in the graffiti is the one beating up the boy.

Yeah, that's how I read it at first, then I thought one boy was beating up the other one because he liked the same girl, and finally I arrived that he's beating up the other boy because the other boy wrote that he liked the girl. Which still isn't quite bad except for the caricature and the old man having to have the situation explained to him.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gnoman posted:

I'm 99% sure that the "enormity of the crime" combined with the emphasis on "she" is explicitly a racial thing - the joke of the comic is that the one boy is absolutely furious that the graffiti writer wouldmimply he would be interested in a black girl.

Which makes the whole thing really ugly without even needing the caption.

Yeah, it just took a while for my brain to get there was what I was trying to explain.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

don Jaime posted:

This isn’t aimed at Sagebrush in particular, but why are you reading this trash? Kevin and Kell is posted by multiple users, in giant chunks from different dates, read avidly, discussed and reposted endlessly, and the complicated lore dissected more than any other strip. And despite that, all of you are in firm agreement that it is loathsome and you can’t fathom why anyone would enjoy it, even as you all chatter about how loathsome it is. So why are you reading it and discussing it so much? I think at least some of you genuinely enjoy this disturbing strip or you wouldn’t obsess over it so much. Perhaps you should start a dedicated Holbrook thread about animals eating each other instead of constantly ruining this thread. Maybe you would have fun there. I know I would enjoy it if I never had to speedscroll whole pages of Kevin and Kell horror every day.

I like Kevin and Kell, it's the only Holbrook strip I enjoy, and I do enjoy it. The hellworld minutiae isn't something I think too hard about and even if some of the messages are a bit mixed and he suffers from "protagonists can do no wrong" syndrome, Holbrook generally seems like his heart is in the right place wrt different people being able to get along and people being able to be whatever they see their true self is. The art is decent and you can do far, far worse in the newspaper strip genre. I don't mind the posters that don't like it or like to point out the horrifying implications of the hellworld setting. it's fun and I enjoy reading them. It's not too different to me than explaining the Wizard of Oz as a foreign national invading a country, killing the first person she meets, then teaming up with three other people to kill again as they search for the country's leader.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Also, since we made a small pivot into Dilbert talk during the hateread discussion, you might want to have a look at what Scott Adams is trying to pull today.

It just showed up on Twitter for me because apparently he's trying to spin newspapers not running it as because he's introducing a black character. Wow, what an absolute disgusting creature Adams is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What was that other comic with crappy art that ended up having pretty jokes once in a while. Reply all?