Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That would be cool! Didn't someone ITT say that Phoebe was getting an animated adaptation?

afaik it got optioned, which could turn out as nothing but does mean that it's on the table for getting a cartoon.

Personally, if it happens, I kind of hope it goes back to the "Heavenly Nostrils" name because that was some pretty distinctive stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Vargo posted:

Nickelodeon bought the rights and as far as I know, debut is set for fall of this year

oh, hella nice, I stand corrected.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't feel like the thread talks about Blind Alley much but it's loving excellent.

it's absolutely loving excellent, I even signed up to the creator's patreon for it

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

also I don't know where I was going with this, if anywhere

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I only knew Wimpy as the lovable scamp who tricked people into paying for hamburgers, but man he's kind of a piece of poo poo huh?

he's got one helluva scoop slam, tho.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
there's also a really swank little Japanese music video that serves as a big Jucika homage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkHDaLJbXA

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Huxley posted:

If there was any question of, "Does Family Circus just reuse the same jokes word for word?" my piano teacher wife says she has, "seen that one a bunch of times."

don't worry, boss, I got you:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett TrueSquirrel Food March 4, 1919

Otto Auto is the real star IMO

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks August 11, 1936

it's been pointed out before but this strip low-key has some really gorgeous art

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter December 30, 1950

drat, that's some fine figure and gesture drawing!!

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days October 16, 1958

drat, that's some fine horny-anger!

Slammy posted:

Dogbert December 13, 1966

so, uh, is the CO having a stroke?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Powered Descent posted:

The Freudian Circus

"... and PJ can be the dog!"

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

nah I think I'll accept Tiggum's as canon instead

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

my predictions of her name suggestions:
* Hermione
* Heathcliff
* Catillac Cat
* Mortimer Mo
* Turbo Teen
* Keith Moon
* Jurassic Park
* Slimbo
* The Guzzzzz
* Nightman

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

And He … Jesus! March 28, 1919

holy smokes

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales March 9, 1925

took me longer than I want to admit to see the third panel correctly

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Kills Again November 20, 1937

DIAL "M" FOR MOPSY

Powered Descent posted:

Just figured out what else was bothering me about this.

She lives in an apartment on the second (possibly third) floor. And it's not one of those multi-level condo-style units, since there are people[s] living downstairs. And yet here she is at a ground level window, waving to them on the lawn.

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder. :smug:

I'm glad you took this bullet because I was about to post the same thing

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

this rules.

also, thanks for posting Gahan Wilson! As a way-too-young kid I would sneak my dad's copies of Gahan Wilson and Charles Addam collections and read them in my room, so this is very nostalgic.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ohser had basically no choice in it if he wanted to keep working. Remember how he used to draw explicitly anti-Nazi cartoons too, before they came into power.

I had managed to avoid confronting the realities of Ohser's situation until I saw these and, hey, maybe it's because you're not doing kicky translations and important notes, but these seemed way more verbose and way less mirthful than usual. Now I'm just sad about a cartoonist who did a cute little comic strip with a ton of heart but, in the face of an inhuman regime, fought fascism the only way he knew how until the fascists took his platform, his livelihood, and his freedom, then only stopped short of his life because he took it first.

poo poo, sorry, I got weird again. Have an edit.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks October 5, 1936

oh hell yeah, I love Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Among many other joys in this thread, I really appreciate the Ballard Street rewinds -- I absolutely love that strip, and I love bingeing some wonderful unique feelings, and I'm not just saying that because I managed to defuse a big Discord argument today by posting old Ballard Streets.

As thanks, here's Zits, completely unaltered.

just normal Zits.

yyyyeop.

Definitely no cause for people to get confused by my basic edits and get mad at me.

Just normal Zits.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tiggum posted:

The Creeps (which seems to have disappeared from GoComics)

Luckily, I actually have a ZIP archive!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Hobnob posted:

This is bizarrely explicit for Luann. Using the words "turned on"? And showing an (exceedingly mild) kink? What has got into Evans today?

his own fingers

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

btw, breaking up my pattern of unnoticed lazy edits, I just want to say: when I saw this strip on the Patreon, I was absolutely rapt (b/c Lula is the best) and have been patiently waiting to show it to others ever since. :allears:

also, since I have a downloaded archive of the pseudonymous Jean Floche's "The Creeps" and it came up recently, I was thinking of starting to post it (despite the files having no dates attached) but there is the issue of how I only check the thread every other day...

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Angular Cyrus posted:

No dates? What archive did you download, the files should be named in a creYYMMDD.gif pattern.

ohhhhhhhhh I was reading the format wrong, my b :v:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
my weird place: I skip all Holbrook stuff because it's inadvertently gross and lovely at the best of times, but I really love reading people freak out and dissect it through text

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jeez, Petey Pinch, you think you hung on long enough??

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Can I say that I really respect that the twist wasn't "that woman was helping me pick out a present"? He knew the perfect present for his wife but needed help procuring it.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
few pages late, but I liked Funny Online Animals shortly after its early strips, it wavered in quality since then but consistently looked pretty good, but I think everything past that multi-week creepy horror story arc that ended in the ||mouse and cat/spy vs. spy joke|| (which I loved) has basically just been terrible.

Speaking of terrible,

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales May 19, 1925

The '20s Were Pretty Rough

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Sundae posted:

There's no way on earth he wasn't cranking it hard to a self-drawn archive of her that none of us have seen yet.

also: Janice, from the Muppets.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 11, 1952)

oh gently caress me running that's gorgeous (almost as gorgeous as Rufus Regan)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 25, 1952)

Val has a hemorrhoid

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
oh dunk, the internal screener/storyboard animatic for the cancelled Popeye cartoon movie got leaked

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/genndy-tartakovskys-popeye-animatic-video-leaked-219062.html

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! Forget Aquaman and Namor, the water-based hero we really need is Fabulous Fab.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
specifically they are stink-eyeing him because, as a drill sergeant (and in previous strips) he routinely tears them down for being "unmanly" but he's ordering a very saccharine drink

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
yeah my brain wants to hate Arnold because of the art but I'm actually enjoying the writing, it's even gotten a few actual laughs out of me

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Whoofa, haven't kept up with the thread for four days and just caught up. I'll do my opinions on comics when I don't have a melatonin-induced hangover, but.....

I see why this strip rubs some people the wrong way but this one in particular is delightful.

Also Arnold rules, each batch consistently gets me to smile and usually has at least one actual chuckle, if not actual full-on laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Vargo posted:

Oh thank god a church-hat strip

honestly an underrated part of these strips is his little brother laughing his rear end off, too, while telling Curtis to stop before they get in trouble, instead of just being a complete straight man/scold