Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

DalaranJ posted:

Is the Lacoon substitute supposed to be Trump or just a generic white guy? Also I'm laughing that he specifically called out Dan Andrews.

He's struggling, not holding back all of them with one hand, a firm set to the jaw, and a steely look in his eyes.

Not Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

What the gently caress?

Like, seriously, what the gently caress is this supposed to be? This isn't set up, this isn't paid off, the characters weren't seen before or after this. It doesn't make narrative sense since the pandemic is supposed to be nothing and the vaccine is evil, so rednecks getting put in intensive care doesn't even make narrative sense as a thing.

This is like he tried to cram "five things happened" into four panels, along with an attempt at a joke and a punchy punchline title, and then had a stroke halfway through.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

This made me try to go hunting up the "flying judges into the WTC" cartoon, and I can't find it.

Anyone got that one?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

This already got the LGBT nom, so also:

Kellies Nomination: Worst Concern Trolling

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Don't you hate having a president who makes gaffes and has to have things walked back for him?

Anyway, vote Trump.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So this is a storyline, now? Infinity War is four years old.

Theynos is a legitimate character, not a one-strip joke? Theynos collected the oppression stones, which are now a real in-universe thing? Being oppressed literally gave Theynos superpowers, which indicates that the oppression is in-universe real and recognized?

This is the setting now, apparently. Is Theynos in league with the devil? Is Theynos a space alien? Has anyone in the cast interacted with Theynos prior to this? Does Theynos have any goals at all? Are we even going to pretend to address the fact that Thanos' whole plan was centered around "split in half, find a balance", or is this actually exactly as deep as the fact that a lazy name change makes this already villain-coded character read as 'bad' to the artist?

I know Sinfest is deeply incoherent, but this is still a level I don't think it's reached before. This doesn't come from anywhere established, it literally just introduces a new threat without prior acknowledgement of said character's existence, then tells us that it's bad to fight oppression. Then a protagonist-ish character whom we haven't seen before (I know it's 2022, but, c'mon, we haven't had anything about her at all) shows up, apparently also with superpowers now because [scene missing], and shows us that if someone is actually oppressed, the morally righteous thing to do is to beat them into the ground.

Writers create worlds that aren't real, and which are eternally mutable by their creators (as Dan Olson so usefully put it). Given an infinitely malleable canvas and every chance to strawman the villains into whatever shape desired, Ishida decided to introduce a character who absolutely is oppressed by the recognized truth of the world, then had a hero show up to physically beat them further. Hooray

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

...But not guns, the guns have nothing to do with the gun violence.

I am very intelligent.

Kellies nomination: worst concern trolling

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

That's a 51 state flag.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Randalor posted:

"Bad guys that want to overthrow society and impose a tyrannical rule will quickly begin crying about how unfair the system that they tried to overthrow is the moment they're apprehended and disarmed. AGC."

I honestly have no idea what he's actually trying to say here. The right-wing nutters are generally the "MAH FREEDUMBS" in regards to firearms, but he normally portrays the left as being thr ones that constantly cry foul, so... :kstare:

After a vast amount of thought, and realizing the complaint is about grabbing "Son of a gun", maybe it's just insanity about how Democrats will grab guns if given half a chance, but if those guns they grab are people, that's pretty much like sexual harassment?

God, this is genuinely the best attempt I can find at decoding this jape.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I also love how Payne shows "the Equitables" as a guy looking quizzical.

Is there any downside to getting rid of all superpowers and all white supremacy, which are definitely two topics that are extremely closely linked? Is the world in flames? Are people desperate for something to believe in?

Nah, there's just a fat white guy who is not having fun. Bet you want to restore all white supremacy now!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Kellies nomination: best edit/parody

That's amazing.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Kellies Nomination: gently caress You Skelley
Kellies Nomination: Seriously, gently caress You, Skelley

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Rudicron posted:

So what does he think is good water and land management?

It starts and ends with "I get to do whatever I want, and there's no repercussions for doing so".

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
One of the stupider changes over the lifespan of the Dilbert comic is that bosses and management went from actively detrimental to "actually making stuff and making it work" to "yeah, basically worth it, you low-level peons wouldn't have a job without our glorious capital".

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Somfin posted:

Is there a real movie or show that fits that description? My man is down bad for an imagined past

Just Shrek. That's the only one.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Randalor posted:

She goes into a trans-friendly lesbian bar and then tells people she doesn't consider them women because they were born with a penis, and we're supposed to sympathize with her. Nah, she can go gently caress herself, and they were right to kick her toxic mindset out. Funny how it wouldn't be that hard to change this into a "A fascist tries to spread their toxicity into a 'safe space' and is promptly kicked out by the non-fascists" comic.

The entirety of the necessary change is just depicting the bar's patrons as even potentially sympathetic, instead of what we have, where they're both too strong and too weak, which is... we all know that story already. But outside that, this sympathetic take is already there: take a look at the depicted story. Someone comes up to our protagonist and offers to buy her a drink. She says "no, I am not into men," and two panels later she's bringing up the dick we don't actually see. Like, the supposedly neutral reading is that someone says "can I buy you a drink" and she almost instantly responds with "I hate the genitals that I assume you have", without the comic remembering to cast Pink Hair as the villain first.

Pink Hair is not the rear end in a top hat. When the writer can control the entirety of the universe.

It's even more interesting if you take the final comic by itself, without the Saturday lead-in, and... just look at the comic on its own merits. We see this girl walk into a place, and look at two people who look amazing. If you're not already told that this is a lesbian bar (which we haven't been, we're only looking at the Sunday strip), you have what looks like a fabulous gay man and some enby rocking heels and a pencil skirt. Both of them look great and they're having a great time and I would love to hang out with them. Then in panel 2 we have someone who's also found a look that she apparently feels extremely comfortable with, even though too much of the world would judge her for it. She's having a mutually pleasant conversation with someone else who looks like she's enjoying herself and, most likely, is reclaiming some rough memories from her own past by dressing in a meaningful way. I wouldn't want to interrupt; they've got a connection. It's also possible that the handmaiden works here, which would be clear by checking if it were a uniform others were working in. If so, she's probably enjoying a chance to catch up with a regular and maybe get a good tip. It still looks wholesome and mutually agreeable. Then, a tall, butchy woman comes up and indicates interest, and Monique looks interested in panel 4. She might be leaning away slightly, but that looks more like "oh my" than "cowering before a villain".

The second line of panels is Monique being an rear end in a top hat. That's it. She immediately jumps to saying hurtful things for no reason, and Pink Hair rightfully takes offense. It's not that Pink was turned down. Monique crossed a line. Which a non-idiot writer could have fixed by not spending a quarter of the comic showing innocent people having a great time while forgetting to show us that this is a lesbian space specifically instead of a queer space in general. Instead, a minimally competent writer could have used that panel space to make Pink harass Monique to start things, instead of Pink making an appropriate entrance and Monique responding unreasonably.

As Monique is harassing the other patrons, security promptly and properly evicts her. Private property, now stop making inappropriate complaints about people's genitals when you literally haven't even met them yet.

That takes us to the final panel, where Monique is shown to neither be in emotional nor physical distress. She's just been kicked out of somewhere that we only now see is labeled 'lesbian bar'. And the people inside are getting on with their lives and still look like they're having a good time, apart from Pink, who is almost hard to see as the villain if you take the comic as it is actually presented. Only panel 8 even tries to use any of the centuries of visual storytelling language we've developed to cast Pink in a villain light.

It's an utter fuckup of a story. Even the dog is easy to read as "here's a dog", not "this is uncomfortable degenerate behavior because I refuse to learn what petplay actually is".

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Charlz Guybon posted:

I agree with almost everything in this post, but the sign does say Lesbian bar in the first panel of this story arc. The black and white strip before the colored one.

Yeah, that's why I said I was looking at the Sunday comic by itself. The Saturday comic shows it; the Sunday does not.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

drat, California gonna annex a ton of land.

It's weird that Texas isn't labeled, right? It feels weird. There's this weird chunk of negative space that draws the eye to the lack of Texas labeling over the intended focus.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Lareine posted:

quote:

In the 2022 midterms, Trump endorsed 235 races, his endorsements won 219 of them with 19 losses as of this posting.

NO REALLY GUYS WE ACTUALLY WON THIS IS A GOOD THING

Oh, we've got the results of 238 out of 235 of Trump's endorsed races, with only negative three remaining outstanding to be called.

I'm convinced.

Just checking that the three numbers in this given sentence very literally just add up was too much, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

That's stupid.

You're stupid, Fishman.

That's all the more specific that that failed joke is worth.