Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

ADTRW from now on only allows discussion about Seinen office manga featuring middle-aged people in non-sexual relationships to keep the creeps out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

marumaru posted:

is there somewhere in SA where people post good youtubes? i like to watch youtubes while having lunch/dinner but the algorithm is really unreliable
i mostly stick to adtrw and a select few game threads so i have no idea where to look for it
Over in RGD, there's an iteration of the Online Creators + Reviewers thread, although inveriably there's some overlap with the recommendations already made ITT.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I like zero animation

That's right, the manga is always better
This, but unironically.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'd missed Sakura Quest, so thank you for talking about it enough that I picked up on it being slice-of-life-in-a-Japanese-prefecture-with-people-trying-to-do-their-best-at-making-things-more-interesting-for-visitors-and-locals.
Doesn't quite roll off the tongue, does it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

i think 'revitalization' is the word
You're right, that is the word in the English language that I was completely and utterly blanking on. orz

Also, almost completely unrelated to that - I just found out that Non Non Biyori ended its publication, so hopefully Seven Seas finishes the 16th volume soon.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Completely out of nowhere, I got the desire to re-read Ore Monogatari.
So I'm going to do that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

also, almost 22 billion nyanpasu

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

when you're done check out My Love Mix-Up
The love triangle tag with that much weight on baka-updates (ie. that there's a lot of people who've voted for that tag) makes me think it might not be the kind of thing I really like, but I'll add it to my wishlist so once it finishes getting scanlated I can give it a try.

I do appreciate recommendations, though!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Violen posted:

man based on the very little i could even find i think i might be locked out of viz's site indefinitely lol

that loving blows
why would you be locked out?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Violen posted:

well from the very scant info i can find online from people who've been hit with a 403 error from the site, they never mentioned getting it resolved and have mentioned never getting a response to outreach, and some mention it going on for weeks or more until they eventually stop posting about it lol

there was one mass issue about 4 months back but that's the exception to the rule and the only one viz has ever commented on so i don't think it was a related incident

it doesnt seem common at all
That's weird, HTTP 403 is typically for stuff that's not permitted on a per-user level, but if you're getting it anywhere it seems like it's something else that's causing it?

Have you tried emailing webmaster@viz.com? It might not be a mailbox that's monitored (webmaster@, postmaster@ and abuse@ often aren't because of spam, even though they're supposed to be), but it's the best idea I can come up with.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

you'd think companies would make it easy for you to use the services you pay them for

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

you'd think, but try streaming with a slow connection sometime
I mean I can try using ipfw and dummynet, but i have 10G fiber going directly into my server..

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

yeah hes talking about rough sex. arms around his back so her nails can drag at his skin
You just need to know how to use your tongue and fingers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

they never did answer me about being 14 or not
it'd be pretty impressive if someone who was -6 bought an account

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

i bought something last time i was out biking, and i don't understand it
how can tictacs be on sale because they're about to go bad???

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

surf rock posted:

Just finished Lucky Star. Whoever it was that described the show as "anime Seinfeld" was spot-on. I think I got like 10% of the references, but it was a real chill vibe and I enjoyed it.

I see that Funimation has the OVA, but it seems like it's only in Japanese; is that right? Or did they release an English dub, too?

Also, I'm thinking about watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya since that's so heavily referenced by this show, and I remember it being a big sensation at the time. Was it actually good, though?
If you haven't yet, another otaku show from that era that's worth watching is Genshiken (and the subsequent related series, although I know quite a few otaku who erroneously think it's bad for focusing on another side of anime nerdery).

Yuyushiki also has a similar sort of vibe to Lucky Star, so that might also be of interest.
Oh, and basically every single Cute Girls Doing Cute Stuff show is inspired directly by Lucky Star, so if that's your jam there's a whole genre of it (that's not as popular as it once was, but still has a few shows each year spread over the seasons).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

surf rock posted:

Well, poo poo, I'm gathering based on all of the warnings that the order that Funimation is showing the episodes is not the original broadcast order? Is there a list somewhere of the episode order to watch it in, then?
If you're using anidb, the air-date is shown if you scroll down to the episodes list for the show.
If you're not using anidb :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 21, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Namtab posted:

Are you living in a world where azumanga daioh didn’t exist?
No, just the one where I forgot about it. orz

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

watamote grew out of itself because the writer realized having tomoko grow as a person and not regressively cycle into the same shtick to justify its premise makes for a better story even if it is ultimately still a comedy
i wish more writers would employ this one strange trick of having character growth

DoubleDonut posted:

Every time I try to get into Watamote I get a couple dozen chapters in and give up because I really dislike that schtick
i haven't read it yet, but apparently the recommendation is to start from chapter 69 even on first-read.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I forgot how much Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko: Everything Flows just makes me cry like a fountain.

Of course, it's one of Shinkai Makotos works so the level of feelings is already very powerful, but these four episodes just take it over the top.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

they should make more yokohama daidashi kiko seasons

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

marumaru posted:

idol culture really does blow tbh
The way the subculture reacted to the ME!ME!ME! ONA and didn't react to the follow-up Girl ONA, both from Nihon Animator Mihonichi, is in and of itself a reflection of the poor understanding of just how bad idol culture can be and too often is.

Willo567 posted:

Well I tried to switch the topic earlier to the worst anime Shonen dads but no one was interested
What if you double the output of your non-ZLS posts, then it wouldn't feel like you posted as much about ZLS?

Ikoku Nikki is good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The whole point of AMV Hell was to parody AMVs, while this is just a regular AMV.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gay for gacha posted:

I'm reading yotsuba for the first time. It's mostly just light hearted and sweet, but sometimes, it's very very funny.

While reading it, you should listen to the two OSTs that got produced by Kuricorder Quartet, who also did the theme for Pytagora Suichi.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm gonna have to question the structural soundness of this sandwich, because of the wooden spike.
Real sandwiches don't need spikes to support them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Eight pieces of thick cut Applewood bacon do not stack easily buddy
Clearly you need one more, and the jenga stacking technique.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

sandwich elitists get out
Look, I don't make the rules.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Does any site list it as having sequel/prequel relations? AniDBs graph shows them as 'other'.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

WHAT

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So, does anyone know anything about Seven Seas publishing/resale in Europe? Asking for a friend.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, as expected, Odd Taxi is a bit outside my strike zone, but I'll still probably finish it. The zootopia aesthetic is a hard sell for my tastes, and I'm never a fan of media making me feel vicariously embarrassed for the characters, but the parts that aren't that are fine
That's an interesting viewpoint, because for me Odd Taxi read more like it's a world where Japanese mascots are real and have regular jobs and lives, rather than a Zootopia-like scenario.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

generic devilman?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MangaUpdates Categories posted:

Rape
You know, I think I'm fresh out of time for reading manga! What a coincidence.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh, speaking of not that at all, when my shrink asked about what hobbies I had, I found out that she knows what manga is.
That's it, that's all there is to the story.

Chicken Thumbs posted:

In lighter news I've been binge reading a bunch of romcom manga I used to love and it turns out Bonnouji is exactly as perfect as I remembered it being so that's good at least.
Bonnouji is very powerful.

Endorph posted:

well frankly i think this forum is out of people who can be mod
Does that mean it's time to close ADTRW?

Captain Baal posted:

I turned in my resignation letter so I'll probably be getting perma'd within the day hopefully. Y'all enjoy your lives on the Something Awful forums and I hope for the best of everyone.
Thank you for putting in the effort.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

My plan if I was forcibly given mod was to immediately autoban but apparently mods are immune to it so I will simply go down in a blaze of glory probating all my posting enemies. You know who you are.
:ohdear:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

Let's make everybody the mod
An all-mod forum would be a glorious trashfire.
gently caress it, let's do it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

We need some unremarkable schlub from one of the other subforums to get hit by a bus and reincarnated as the Destined Mod Of ATDRW
Does this mean we pick someone who's been permabanned but has had it lifted? I hope not.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Since Coupons & Deals is the source of all the issues on the entire forum, pick one of them as the new mod.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of accountants, a streamer I was watching brought up the idea of an anime or manga about an accountant, just doing their job.
Like, that's the entire story.

And I genuinely wanna read that manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

dogsicle posted:

100% this has existed in one of the many old man manga magazines
It needs to be scanlated then.

nrook posted:

this is definitely not what you’re looking for but there is Government Corruption Investigator Rintaro Nakabo
Assuming this was for me, yeah I think the action tag is not exactly my thing - I was imagining something way more slow-paced.