Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dogsicle posted:

mostly i think people bristle at the commerciality of reviving UY like this, not helped by it coming in the door with the rumors of troubled production at davidpro both for it and what we can obv see with the ongoing Stone Ocean adaptation

giving an established property to new blood always carries a chance to produce exciting stuff, but i guess i'm really feeling the misgivings even as someone barely versed in either OG UY

yeah it just sucks to see one of the higher quality studios spread themselves thin for a remake of an already good show. there's so little upside to this sort of project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

you are thinking of sakugan (drilling), we are talking about sakuga (drawing)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'd missed Sakura Quest, so thank you for talking about it enough that I picked up on it being slice-of-life-in-a-Japanese-prefecture-with-people-trying-to-do-their-best-at-making-things-more-interesting-for-visitors-and-locals.
Doesn't quite roll off the tongue, does it.

i think 'revitalization' is the word

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

hello anime, i'm anime

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked some individual episodes and the side story movie but thought it became bad anytime it dug into the "main plot" or war stuff

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mycophobia posted:

thx for violet evergarden opinions, i reckon i'll pass on it for now. that being said, what should i watch/start this sunday. heres my anime list if youdd like to look at what i like and dont like https://myanimelist.net/animelist/sa_mycophobia?status=7&order=4&tag= thank you

hyouka is the best kyoani show imo so try that if you haven't already, you seem to like their stuff

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the school festival arc owns, and has a zelda trading sequence

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm glad mayoiga has achieved cultural longevity via people not getting it. the perfect True Ending

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah there's a low alcohol version of it for cooking that they sell at the supermarket

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

haruhi is still pretty good as long as you watch it in the original broadcast order to maintain the mystery, but it's probably the most 'you had to be there' anime of all time

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

apparently funi renamed some season 1 episodes to 'season 2' if they're in the back half chronologically which just makes things more confusing. i'd just go by episode titles to be sure you're doing it right, and not trust the episode numbers.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

theres a lot of good shows from the late 00s / early 10s that aren't legally available. not even old stuff

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyways idk what's next. That was the last show the non-2021 anime you watched in 2021 thread recommended me without hesitation. The ones recommended with a bit of hesitation, were Akanesasu Shoujo, Kageki Shoujo, and Birdy the Might Decode.

I've been in this "sad magical girl" track for basically the last year and have no desire to leave it as long as there's still good stuff in it. The heavily emotional stuff with just enough action to drive excitement is catnip to me. If anyone else has any non-hesitant recs along those lines, please hit me with them, even if they aren't about girls, despite me calling it the sad magical girl genre. If it's soldiers in mechs or boys playing soccer but it hits the same notes, that's okay too. If it's from the last 8 or so years, I probably didn't watch it. And also if it's from before then I only maybe watched it.

it's not magical girls but you might like Sora no Woto? good melancholy show about girls at a remote military outpost in a dying earth setting

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the middle part has the nanami cowbell episode so it's good

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kyousougiga is a little confusing depending on where you're watching it as some places include the original OVA as an 'episode 0' but its pretty much just an abridged version of the 10 TV episodes so you can skip it unless you enjoy being confused

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Kyousougiga seems to have a one-episode 2011 show, a 5-episode 2012 show, and a 10-episode 2013 show. Is this a Little Witch Academia situation where the animators took a few stabs at the idea?

kinda yeah, the 2011 one is like a proof-of-concept thats just a bunch of scenes from the eventual show and then they eventually got to make the whole thing. you can just watch the 10 tv episodes, thats the complete story and it rules

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

also free rie matsumoto its been 7 years now since they last let her direct a show

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

pretty sure it came out before the KA anime even

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

theres no good anime review sites, you just gotta find individual people with good taste. such as me

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

to be fair it didn't explicitly reveal the premise until episode 2 so a lot of people who do first episode impressions showed their asses with it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i will gladly mention a show from a decade ago: Kill Me Baby

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i still need to watch that, nakamura is probably my favorite director based on mononoke+tsuritama+gatchaman crowds so I'm sure I'll love that one too

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the other ones i kinda get but persona 4's writing is like 90% played-out anime tropes

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

anime ontology

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

anonatsu has one of my favorite first episodes of a romcom but ends up just kinda going through the motions after that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

please don't use MAL/anilist/anichart scores to decide what to watch. you are going to end up with the taste of an edgy 17-year-old

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm a superficial shell of a human being that picks strictly based on cover art or the title, so I actually appreciate those really long ones that explain the basic plot/origin.

looking at the key art is definitely a better way to pick shows than user scores. i do that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

6s to low 7s is "the sweet spot" where all the good genres end up unless they are Subversive enough

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its one of those exact 2 series like 99% of the time i see that sort of reaction these days, i dunno how broad an issue it is

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gridman is a complete story, dynazenon is more a spinoff with a new cast than a season 2.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

vaguely on the topic because it's a kind of mediocre show about a princess, but the show I got weirdly into back in the day that nobody else watched was Scrapped Princess. I wonder if it holds up as solidly decent or if the reason nobody else watched it was because it was trash the whole time. I barely remember anything about it, besides the big twists at the very end

if you liked that one the same writer & director did a more recent show called Chaika the Coffin Princess that's pretty similar but is mostly an improvement imo

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

im going to watch Gamers! (2017)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that episode and the yugiri arc are the only bits of s2 i really liked

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

wonder how long ago they wrote the script for it if that was an actual concern and not just more mizushima trolling

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i feel like most of the interesting and/or emotionally resonant parts of automata's writing are contingent on it being a video game in order to land

if this is a spin off story or significant rewrite then all bets are off but otherwise i'm going to assume it will be as ignorable as the twewy anime

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

skipping elden ring as there is simply not enough time for it before Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin comes out

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

only the true anime fans are watching anime today

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's a webnovel thread but i don't think there's anything active currently for real LNs

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah unfortunately crunchyroll is like 10x more popular so they have to do it in this direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

seems like the inevitable outcome is crunchy+funi starting to shrug off some of the niche genre stuff, and now you suddenly need hidive if you want to watch new slice-of-life or mecha shows or whatever crunchy doesn't care about.