Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Estel
May 4, 2010

wolfs posted:

again that is your opinion

I’m just saying I’m looking forward to trying it

there is no universal constant saying coming in expecting one thing will make you leave crying

Especially considering Diablo 3 came out in 2012. a few vague memories of throwing zombie bears and spiders at monsters for a few dozen hours from almost a decade ago doesnt cast your preconceptions into iron

you guys are too negative

I can see why the mmo chat thread is so dour

I don't think anyone is being negative, I've some friends and seen lots of reddit posts of people that tried the beta expecting Diablo /PoE and hating it. The game is not an arpg unless your definition of arpg includes mmos with action combat.

This doesn't mean the game is bad or good. The game is what it is and people expecting something else may like it or don't but it's important to explain correctly the type of game it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estel
May 4, 2010

Estel
May 4, 2010

HungryHungryHobo posted:

Landing counters feels so good and the fact that the game broadcasts my accomplishment makes it feel even better.

Landed 3 of them on the Scorpion boss. Makes me feel useful because my raid build for gunlancer seems pretty lacking in the DPS to me at least so far. Also why is everyone else bad? I don't think I've seen anyone use a flare or potion or battle item. They run around like headless chickens looking for a boss.

I'm maining Gunlancer and at least in T1 group content going blue gunlancer seems a lot more useful. Lots of support and CC and with Bash and Dash Upper Fire you have 2 great counters so most of the time you can counter just by spamming skills.

I guess once you have more engravings is when red gunlancer gets competitive against the more dps focused classes while still offfering a bit of support with the cc.

Estel
May 4, 2010

admanb posted:

But yeah that doesn’t surprise me. My guess/hope is that AGS is making this decision based on metrics rather than a particular concentration of forum posts.

This is not on the announcement but in a different thread about it:

quote:

I posted this in another thread, but current success rates for some of these contents is less than 10%. I understand there are a lot of skilled and hardcore players that are concerned about content nerfs in the future, but right now dealing with early game content there needs to be a balance between…

People really underestimate how bad are people when playing videogames. If you think you are just a decent player i can assure you you are better than 75% of the people playing Lost Ark right now.

Estel
May 4, 2010

FutureCop posted:

I think you're right: I keep running time trial tests and such between red and blue and they practically seem tied in terms of dps, but blue provides so much more safety in both shields and mobility (at least from my silly T1 testing, of course, which isn't quite representative of endgame). It's really odd how red has such a penalty associated to it without much to gain from what I can tell: most class engraving pairs are a balance between sustained and burst but this is more like easy vs hard. I like a challenge and red does tickle my fancy in that sense, but I think I gotta make the smart decision and go true blue (and like you say, I can still get some explosions through Surge Cannon)

Red gunlancer gets a lot better once you get to t3 and you get more stats and tripods. Until then blue with some red skills is much more effective.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Scatsby posted:

Ah, for whatever reason I thought you had to do it once for the Una's Task to appear. I'm annoyed, but it's a relief!

That is because for some Una tasks to appear you have to do or finish something first so it can be confusing.

Estel
May 4, 2010

explosivo posted:

I love how bosses whip around to look at you when you taunt them. I always imaging they're going "THE gently caress YOU SAY?"

It's even better when you do it while they are jumping or charging.

Estel
May 4, 2010
Yeah, I think the only thing you miss when using the powerpass is some T1 materials and some card packs from quest rewards but you get full roster xp, stats and virtues from all the content the powerpass includes.

There are lots of virtue points in the game and of course most people that have played til sushire are going to have more virtue points that someone who just powerpassed once he got to Vern because the one who played probably has visited islands and done some quests and completed journey quests and achievements. All of that gives virtue points.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Hefty posted:

In other news, Blaster has really grown on me. It’s still super frustrating when bosses decide to wander around the whole fight, but I feel like having to actually pay more attention to boss patterns is making me a better player in general.

love too shoot rockets at a demon

It is great once you know a fight and hit a boss with every skill because you know when he is going to move or where he is going to stop. Now I understand why swiftness is the preferred stat, you can spam your skills and never stop doing damage.

Estel
May 4, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

The bigger change is on counter. It isn't a head attack skill anymore. Though, I didn't see in the initial excitement an understanding of the translation. It almost sounded like back attacks could be counters, but unsure. If you could, scrapper and other butt humping classes would have an easier time at joining in doing counters. But unsure on translation.

Suprfli6 posted:

It looks like you can still only counter the boss from the front even if the ability is tagged as a back attack.

Yeah, counters still can only be done from the front.

Until now all counters had the "front attack" tag so it was a loss of dps for most classes that try to stay behind the boss so most people didn't equip them unless they really needed to counter something.
Now all those skills will have the "back attack" tag so even if you are not going to counter at least is not a total loss of dps.

The destroyer buffs look amazing. My main is a Gunlancer because Monster Hunter so of course i was going to make a Destroyer even if i knew that it was only a meme class. With all the changes it can turn into one of the top classes.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I'm a blue gunlancer with 3grudge/3barricade and 1 combat readiness, I've only done Argos P1 twice and I've been in the top 4 as dps both times.

Blue gunlancers dps increases the more you know a fight because you just don't care about the boss's attacks or movements and you just keep hitting your rotations.

Once you know which attacks can destroy your shield you never receive damage.

Estel
May 4, 2010
If you have 2 players that have the same knowledge about a boss's attacks and movements red and blue gunlancers do comparable damage. The difference is red is less but bigger numbers and blue is more but smaller numbers.

In the end all depends on what kind of gameplay you prefer. Blue you don't care what the boss is doing or which direction is facing except for wipe mechanics, you just have to control you shield and dps away. Red gunlancer you have to take advantage of the dps windows and hit the face of the boss, the good thing is that if the boss can be taunted you create your own dps window, taunt to make the boss face you, dps and move away before it hits you.

Both are cool and i understand why in Korea lots of players are going "purple" gunlancer doing a mix of both.

Estel
May 4, 2010
In most cases yes, it's usually Lone Knight 3/Supercharge 3/DPS engraving 3/Combat readiness 1 and a typical red build but I've seen some players doing more hybrid things.

Not sure how effective those builds are but they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estel
May 4, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

As a baseline, you need enough specialization to be able to one cycle your blue skills to change into red stance. Without hitting that stat threshold the class feels really bad to play because you'll be sitting at like 2.5 bars waiting for your CDs before you actually get to switch stances. This is made even worse by the fact that one of your blue skills provides an 18% crit debuff that depending on whether you're going crit or swiftness secondary you'd need to save as the last move going into red stance so pressing that button just for the gauge generation and not ending up having enough to switch stances feels so terrible. It's not that hard in red stance to build the bar back to switch to blue though as long as you hit your moves.

It all depends on how you want to build the character, you need specialization to generate charge quickly to change stances and increase you damage but then you have 2 options, build for swiftness or crit. If you choose switness you will only use 2-3 red skills to fill the bar and change again to the blue stance. In this case you want to use the crit tripods on those skills so you have 100% critical chance.
If you go for crit then you use the other tripods and use more red skills. In the end both options probably have similar dps, the only difference is what kind of gameplay you prefer.