Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah great plot reviews. I was going to play the game again but honestly don't think I'll have the time and also don't want to go from 1 to 2 lest I wear it out, so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OldMemes posted:

Maybe it's because I like Lance Reddick in most things he's in, but I couldn't hate Sylens. He focuses too much on the long term goal over the short term issues, but he did seem guilty about the cult thing, and he grows to at least respect Aloy by the end.

His obsession with recovering knowledge at any cost is his fatal flaw, but he's also the only one bothering to do so. I hope they keep him as an anti-hero who clashes with Aloy over his methods, but they have to work together, rather than having him go full bad guy.

Yeah same. I couldn't blame Sylens for his bullshit ultimately and I thought he was a cool antihero antagonist.

I really hope we don't have to encounter robo Faro or clone Faro or any Faro. He won. He's the ultimate villain because he's always loving you and you can't touch him.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kazzah posted:

Sylens would give his right arm to be able to talk to you, an idiot goon, for a couple hours

Lol yeah.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OldMemes posted:

Yeah the impression I got from his character was "let me get it all, then everyone can have it after I get first look". He's very long term minded, but there's pros and cons to that.
Once that knowledge is recovered, disseminating it is the next big issue - they mention that APOLLO was designed to have teaching modules that tested well, but even if they Sylens and Aloy can stitch APOLLO back together, getting it out to the people is going to be the hard part.

I always take him as wanting to check it out himself and not trusting people to do the right thing with it. I might play the game again even though I decided not to. Be nice to get reacquainted with Sylens in particular.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ashly Burch rules. She's a great VA but I'd like to see her in some more live action stuff, she was good in mythic quest.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My robot dinosaur warriors videogame protagonist is too powerful :qq:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sony are the real heroes. They have my $125aud. That's $120aud of trust and $5aud of love.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Third person action game with kbm talk giving me the pleasant gaming heebie jeebies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

M'lindy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm more worried about my thatassophobia

Serious answer I saw some swimming through caves and I think there is swimming through underground bases/structures that will be dark and low vis

E; the entire SF bay appears to be there tho so might be the whole gamut of ocean poo poo.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 15, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wiltsghost posted:

I wonder if there are any underwater machines. That'd be kinda cool. I guess they would have to come up with a way to fight them though. Unless it's a sneak mission.

There's one in the preview footage

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah it looks super nice on PS4 as well. Better than the first one. Some magic has been done.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rinkles posted:

I think his script doesn’t do the LOD shenanigans justice. There’s a bunch of stuff just floating in mid air where buildings should be. In another instance a tower appears out of thin air when he’s just a few meters away.

It’s obviously a bug though that I imagine Guerrilla will address quickly.

No other reviewers have said it's that bad though. He's the only one I've seen where entire buildings aren't loading. Perhaps he requires a can of compressed air.

DF did mention textures on buildings not loading but not the entire structure bring missing and they usually like to bang on about that sort of thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rinkles posted:

It looked like it was a specific location. It might have been easy to overlook.

Also, it's understandable, but DF misses plenty of stuff.

Oh yeah for sure. I was drawing the conclusion that nobody else has seen that kind of extreme problem with pop in so it's probably just a bug at that spot or something non-dire. What's skillup showed was very bad lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Big Bidness posted:

you know Sylens did mention they were experimenting with cryogenics during the clawback era...

I hope he froze himself. Sylens greedily pushes the button to open his chamber to commence interrogation and Ted flops out nude, dead as a doornail.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

HZD has vastly outsold every From game. It's not the same audience.

There's strong overlap but I just think that means from players will buy both eventually.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't believe Sylens is actually Ted Faro

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol poor old Varl just having a series of intense wtf moments

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm an idiot. I just spent an hour doing the annoying poo poo that made me bounce off the original game. Back to story missions only for me! Ignore those icons!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm playing resolution mode and it rules.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wish I could censor these characters when they say the word zenith it's revolting. Zeenith. Yuck.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Game seems weird to me so far. Like odd mood and dialogue. Also very clunky controls, but that's more because I came straight from dying light 2.

I hated the first 5 hours of zero dawn too though so will persevere.

Yeah the controls are rubbish. Fighting robots for parts is still really fun but driving Aloy around tight environments and anywhere you need to use the jump button could have used more work.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

blue squares posted:

Loving it so far, but wow they managed to achieve the impossible and made the crafting even dumber. The loving stash

Crafting automatically accesses the stash right?

I put the game on normal so it doesn't take ages and I haven't been bothering with doing hunts. I think I still have to though because the robos just blow me up with one hit sometimes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eyud posted:

Absolutely loving the game so far. I’m still in Chainscrape, I’ve been taking things slow and doing every side quest/errand I come across. Resolution mode all the way, it looks way better than performance on a 4K TV and it feels like a very stable 30 fps.

Yeah I'm enjoying resolution mode. It feels like you spend 75% of your time talking to people or travelling and 50% of combat is slow motion.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Barreft posted:

Wait 4k on the PS5 is 30 fps?

Yeah 60fps is upscaled. It still looks good obvs but so much of the game is looking at things or talking poo poo so it's nice having everything in native res.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Does anybody else wonder why Aloy doesn’t get hella rope burn when she slides down a grapple at 30 mph?

It's canon that her hands are absolutely hosed up with callouses.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like it when you spend a while talking to POCs wearing tribal inspired outfits then their boss walks out and it's some middle aged white bloke on his way to burning man.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm enjoying this game but it's weird when one character is saying their monologue, "you want some ammo I've got some ammo" and contextual words all at the same time as Aloy is saying she's sending poo poo to her stash or musing on using her hands as devices to climb a cliff she just saw.

"Looks like a vertical incline punctuated by porous rock formations that I can view using my technology based focus. I could use my hands as crude biological devices to propel the rest of my body up the incline thus reaching the top of the incline."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just went to the top of a huge mountain and whoa

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Every fast paced action cutscene looks rough due to pop in, especially when they try to cut to a bunch of different stuff. Out in the game world sometimes I see it when a scene ends or occasionally there's a foul up, but generally smooth.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ymgve posted:

Did they up the difficulty in this game? I'm playing on hard and is getting absolutely destroyed by enemies that are the same level as me. Like, some projectiles instantly one shot me.

It happens on normal. I feel like the game is overtuned for how janky the combat can get at times and how some robots have mounted sniper rifles or literal broadside cannons that fire the instant you become visible

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

HampHamp posted:

It was very late and I was running on fumes, but this is what happened to the best of my recollection: I found a campsite underneath one of those huge machines, Sylens left me a hologram explaining how he experimented on HADES, and I was supposed to use my focus to follow his trail. Using my focus gave me a sort of sonar ping style thing to follow, which led me to a big lake, and the ping is deep underwater in what seems to be a crashed plane. I'm guessing I followed the wrong trail?

Yeah you're meant to follow the trail a big ball got dragged along lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Relentlessboredomm posted:

the end of the quest where you get the rebreather is just...wow. on a ps5 in resolution mode its just the most stunning thing. im completely in awe of how beautiful this looks. and it is one of my favorite little stories in here so far. what a game

I just did that one too, amazing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jimbot posted:

Is this game just straight much harder than the first one? Even on Normal (which I bumped down from Hard) Scrounger is just tearing me up with its basic attacks. I don't remember them being this much trouble.

Even on normal the game rules are that you're not allowed to get hit by basically anything. The number of times I've been down to one more machine in a field and been suddenly killed by a long range gun or similar is high.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I feel like I am breaking items off robots and not finding them or the robots are destroying them on the ground? Really annoying because I tore off three horns from these strong new guys and I could only find one of them after fighting them for ages.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Use the customisation options in the menu, they're very robust and you can tailor most parts of the game to your liking. I have fully upgraded blue armour and still get one shot right at the end of a long winded robot battle. I'm thinking I'll just turn on easy loot so I can blow the poo poo out of robots with mines and get fun stuff like overrides without it feeling like work.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wiltsghost posted:

I almost feel like saying you shouldn't skip any side quests. They all seem great so far.

Does the character lighting bother anyone else. I think they call it hero lighting in this game. It seems like characters almost glow. Weird being in a dark area and Aloy is lit up like a spotlight is on her. Never seen this in a video game before. I don't hate it but it's taking me a while to get used to.

I like it a lot of the time but I've had several instances of Aloy being lit for a photoshoot while the character she is talking to has obviously aggravated someone on the crew.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Love waiting for tallnecknto circle three times because Aloy is bad at jumping and sticking to poo poo.

Nearly didn't post this and tried again. Didn't make it. Ugh.

It happened again

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ZeeBoi posted:

Did she keep reminding you to time your jump just right

I can reach the tallneck from here

*vibrates in midair, falls to the ground*

Need to get higher to reach that tallneck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think I might turn on easy loot now. I've fought enough robots and I'd like to override some cool ones but I can't be hosed collecting four robodicks from all of them.