Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I watched 50% of the first Suicide Squad movie before I fell asleep and gave up, is the second one required to be able to start watching Peacemaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, you can also check out the sequel to the original movie, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. It's really pretty, from what I remember, even if it's a little meandering. It's based on a fairly short story within the manga so it's stretched out with a lot of Batou dealing with the emotional aftermath of the first movie. I liked it as a teenage but haven't not gone back since.

Innocence holds up, I watch it now and then and like it a lot. The English dub is also incredibly solid, as all of the GitS dubs seem to be on everything made before Arise.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A MIRACLE posted:

sweet thanks dudes.. the movie I'm thinking of is the main one I guess? lol. And the 2.0 remaster, but I think I had some reason that I liked the original better. I'll check out the sequels

The 2.0 'remaster' is completely pointless in every way. They rerecorded all of the audio, changed the VA for the Puppet Master (has a male voice in the original, a female in 2.0), and replaced a bunch of hand drawn scenes with terrible, terrible CGI. The entire film also went through an orange filter to make it look closer to GitS: Innocence. Up until recently it was the only version you could buy on bluray in the states, luckily the un-hosed-with version is available in 4K as of September 2020. Avoid.

Edit: found someone who tracked all the differences and TIL they also just cut out a bunch of little scenes/shots for seemingly no reason, goddamn https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=825158

also spoilered due to boobs but the CGI is just mindboggling bad

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 28, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

While I have not used them myself, it seems like the 2020's version of the hacked cable card is Plex shares you can join (for free or a monthly subscription, payable with a credit card or cryptocurrency). I've seen folks advertise them with upwards of 100,000+ movie and TV series, and you can even request they add things if they aren't already available. Piracy as a Service.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Superrodan posted:

I don't know how Plex charges people that use their service to host, or the details of how Plex works other than "people can access media I have hosted on at my own server", so I guess because they aren't hosting any of the content themselves its probably something that doesn't concern them too much. Does Plex take some kind of cut based on how many people connect to your server?

Plex is software you run on your own infrastructure, you host the content or connect to other people's servers to stream what they host. It's completely free to do both of those things, there is also a monthly subscription option and one time lifetime subscription cost that gets you access to additional features (like, you can now stream content to a mobile device). Lifetime Plex Pass can be had for $75 when it goes on sale. That's the only money that actually goes back to Plex.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Tokyo Vice really petered out by the the end there huh.

I need a cocaine-fueled Mann to direct the whole 2nd season. Anything less is a waste.

I just watched the last episode last night and yeah, it really did. Felt pretty unfinished too considering the very first scene of episode one was a flash-forward that never gets revisited. I'd definitely be up for a second season.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've tried I think 4 times to watch True Blood in it's entirety but I always seem to tap out once Bill turns into vampire Jesus. First three seasons are so loving good tho.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Grey Man was like some kind of discount Mission Impossible: Fallout without bothering to emulate the verisimilitude. Chris Evans was imho the only one who was able to elevate the terrible script into an actually hilarious performance. Laughed out loud at the (I have to assume, highly self aware) ken doll joke.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

yoohoo posted:

After Hours isn’t quite what I’m looking for. I guess I probably didn’t need the “less emphasis on horror” amendment, I just meant that I’m not looking for pure horror movies. Sci-fi horror, action horror, something horror adjacent, in an urban setting. Like it’s not a haunted house or a setting where the characters are secluded and alone - the idea of a community having to deal with a crisis if some kind, be it supernatural, an otherworldly entity, government shenanigans etc is more what I’m thinking.

feedmyleg posted:

The Hidden.

e: Dark Angel, Split Second, Maniac Cop 2 (and the rest of the series, but especially 2).

I second The Hidden, it's an action/sci-fi movie with a body horror aspect that is criminally underrated.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just watched Day Shift and thought it was pretty bad. It's trying to be John Wick But With Vampires but has the laziest world building. My favorite dumb things are Jamie Foxx being paranoid about door locks and repeatedly being shown locking the 5 deadbolts on his front door, which is a foot away from a gigantic plate glass window. Or his ex-wife inexplicably replacing floor tiles in one tiny section of the foyer across 2 different scenes 20min apart. I kept waiting for a payoff or joke relating to this that never came. Also the first 60 seconds of the film shows a vampire house having multiple air conditioning compressors to keep the place ice cold, and later you see an aerial shot of a building with dozens of them covering the roof(?) but this is never explained or mentioned again. Why???

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you haven't seen the movie, definitely check it out (it's on Paramount+). It's a great Paul Schrader neo-noir flick from 1980. Giorgio Moroder does the music and Blondie does the main song.

Thanks for this rec, I had no idea Call Me was a film tie-in song. Movie was great though I think it kinda loses steam in the last 10-15mim once he's in jail.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Barry Lyndon is probably my favorite Kubrick as well, and I desperately wish there was a 4k UHD release of it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The new season of Jack Ryan is pretty fun. Highly recommended if you enjoy spy thrillers with Russian baddies. I've also just read they filmed season 4 at the same time, so it shouldn't be another two year wait to see it. Reportedly it will also be the last season. Give Wendell Pierce a spinoff and I'd watch the poo poo out of it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm generally not an anime liker fwiw, but I do think Junji Ito's art is pretty cool. From the little I watched of that show it seems like total rear end though. The animation sucks and does no justice to his illustrations, the theme song is literally one of the worst things I have ever heard and the vibe is right in line with the thing that generally makes me hate most anime, which is feeling like it's something made for small children except edgy. I couldn't even stomach 15 minutes of it.

The first episode really kinda sucked and it felt like a weird choice to begin the show with. It improved after that (I've only gotten through 3 eps though), so if you're an Ito fan I'd say try again at ep 2.

Definitely agree on the OP/ED songs.

I had no idea this series was coming out until someone made a post about it. I had been looking forward to the Uzumaki anime which I've learned has been delayed for a third time and currently has no release date. There's about 15 seconds of footage buried in the middle of this update video, but it looks absolutely killer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnQOO8Y1Ck0

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Looks like they filmed that movie beginning October 2021 so a CGI kiss was surely due to COVID protocols....?

Edit: Apparently there were other kissing scenes in the movie where CGI was not used so idk

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 7, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Saw a commercial last night saying True Blood was coming to TNT. I know we can say gently caress on cable these days but they are gonna have to censor the poo poo out of that, lmao.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Would I need to watch the first two seasons of Picard or could I drive right in to season 3? This is not something I'd ever normally consider but I've heard so many bad things about this series.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nihonniboku posted:

The puke scene is so inconsequential to the overall plot that I completely forgot about it, and was surprised to hear so many people turned off by an otherwise great movie because of that one singular scene.

I have no knowledge of this movie beyond this official promotional image of it, which is also the cover for the physical release. An entire marketing strategy for this movie was around people puking.

Spoilered for a lady puking a gold liquid in a way that is real gross and makes me instantly uninterested in watching the film.

Edit: ok I guess it was only the cover of the 4k release in Germany

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 3, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

distortion park posted:

Citadel is only a little longer than The Irishman, cost 300 million dollars, is advertised everywhere but seems to have 0 buzz

I watched the first two eps and they were terrible. I didn't even want to continue after ep 1 but ep 2 was like, 38 minutes long if you don't count the recap and title sequence lmao. I am generally fine with watching spy thriller/action movie shlock too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Glottis posted:

I for one knew that when they were using the Grubhub app to push ad notifications for Citadel to me that it was a stinker, and also that Amazon is incredibly annoying

Grubhub you say?

Took a photo of my TV while I was watching it and chatting with some friends. The product placements in the show were absolutely obnoxious.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

smackfu posted:

Yeah, that is impressively terrible looking. Bad camera or bad freeze frame?

It kinda looked like poo poo and also the Grubhub bag was this glaringly crisp CG creation with lighting that doesn't match the rest of the shot and stood out like sore thumb in motion.

but also it is a photo of my tv in a dark room

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I dunno where best to put it but I read this incredible article with an oral history about The Fugitive earlier today and am now rewatching the movie for the 17963th time. Can't wait to pick it up in 4k in a couple months:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/the-fugitive-movie-oral-history-cast-director-1234789685/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shageletic posted:

The article is also funny for the brutal battle between the actors and the writer in regards to how much of it was improvised.

lol, yeah, that was great. I had no idea they had cut so much of Julianne Moore's scenes (on this watch through I'm noticing she's billed 4th), or that Richard Jordan was originally cast and filmed most of the scenes as Dr. Nichols before he developed a fatal brain tumor :smith: and they brought in Jeroen Krabbé literally at the last minute.

The Fugitive fuckin rules

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Maxwell Lord posted:

You should probably buy the Blu Ray anyway. (Unless there’s a UHD forthcoming anytime soon.)

10 years in the isocubes for not knowing it is available on 4k UHD now! https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dredd-4K-and-3D-Blu-ray/176582/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wolfsheim posted:

The MI issues were because it was made at the height of covid restrictions so every dialogue scene between more than two people is edited to death to try and hide that fact, I don't think Ving Rhames is literally ever in the same room as another person (and of course the cast + crew health and safety is paramount but it really messes up the kind of slick momentum and practical effects stuff this series is known for)

The biggest failing though is that submarine scene at the beginning which was apparently originally the opening to the next film, but Cruise insisted they put it at the beginning of this one because I guess he thought audiences would be confused? But it's such a bad mistake in several ways: it ruins the central mystery of the film, it makes the opening feel way too long, and it just undermines the entire structure.

It was doomed to begin with once they decided to break it into two parts.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DeimosRising posted:

Not sure what you’re referring to so I’ll just google this phrase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuRjmzz6qL0

I don't know either but I had to link this

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I had Peacock free with comcast for a while, then they sent me an email saying that was ending but I could subscribe to it for $2/month. Not a fuckin chance.

Yeah they managed to convince me to do this and I'm pretty sure I haven't watched anything on it in the 3 months since. It's me, the sucker.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just some grumbling about streaming:

Wanted to watch Paris, Texas. Couldn't find that it was available to stream (for free) anywhere and wanting to save the $3.59 for the rental, I picked the bluray up from the local library. Started watching it last night, made it 54min 26seconds into the movie before the disc stopped playing. Spent 45min cleaning the disc, trying it in my various other players, considering whether I should make a copy of it onto my computer then stream it from Plex. That will take an hour at best, assuming that drive can even read it. Say gently caress it, pay the $3.59 to rent it so I can actually watch the rest of the movie the same night. (Great movie.)

Anyway, today I am ranting to a friend and they say, see if your library has access to Kanopy. They don't, but the place I work for does. Hey look, Paris, Texas, for free! Could have just watched it there from the get-go!! Kanopy does not seem to show up on any kind of "can I stream it?" lists anywhere.

I loving hate playing the "where can I watch <thing> game" every single time. :argh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Brocktoon posted:

Kanopy shows up on Letterboxd’s “where can I watch” interface, and I have never had a case where it says something is on Kanopy and my library doesn’t carry it or something. Maybe I am just lucky?

This is what I get when looking at Paris, Texas:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand the people who didn't like the first Villeneuve Dune movie.... It's one of the coolest looking movies of all time in an era when CGI is actually getting worse.

Honestly I was just bored by it. It looked good and had a couple scenes I really loved (throat singing Sardaukar? :krad:) but otherwise it just...didn't get weird enough for me! It didn't help that movies split into two parts sucks and leaves me feeling ultimately unfulfilled when I walk out of the theater.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kingtheninja posted:

Really bummed out interview with a vampire isn't streaming on a wider base, one episode in and I'm really digging the vibe.

I thought it was really good, well acted and looked great too. Just don't bother watching Mayfair Witches when you're done with it. A whole lot of nothing happens and it's boring as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inspector Hound posted:

Die Hard With a Vengeance and Terminator 2 are probably two of the best 90s action movies, maybe Speed is in there. The Matrix doesn't count, and I won't come up with a reason why

e Home Alone is the best Christmas movie in the Die Hard series

This is Executive Decision erasure