Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Even dumber, Some sentient organism is trying to wipe out humanity because it perceives it as a threat. It is responsible for the past mass extinction events.

I was thinking of watching it. Does it have an ending or a cliffhanger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

pumped up for school posted:

Cliffhanger. I'm a sucker for these kinds of shows. Weird fetish for scifi/horror/thrillers when the cast is isolated so thought it would be up my alley. Also I've worked on platforms so the sets were a blast of nostalgia. I very much recommend skipping it.

Welp. Thanks for the advice. Stuff like The Thing always gets at least a glance from me.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Deadite posted:

Seeing Big Head from Silicon Valley as a serious character was pretty jarring

Oh man THAT'S who that was. I couldn't place him.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

regulargonzalez posted:

Just started watching White Lotus. Two episodes in and I despise every character. (Except maybe the massage shop manager.) I know that's kind of the point but it makes it a hard slog. I want a tsunami to come and wipe everyone out. There'll be a scene with one group of characters and I can't wait for it to end because they're all so hateable, and then the scene will end and the next scene will be full of even worse people.

Worth sticking with?

I was annoyed with season 1 for the same reason and liked season 2 better. Vague, nonspecific spoiler about the ending: In the first season I felt everyone didn't get what they deserved, but in the 2nd season I was mostly satisfied that everyone got what they deserved. For better or worse.

The whole show feels a bit weird because it seems like you should hate the characters but then the way it plays out it feels like the show wants you to like these character as if they're good but flawed people and not just a bunch of assholes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Deadite posted:

The episode of Community they chose to remove was odd because in season 4 there is an episode where Pierce paints his hands as racist puppets. I'm not sure how they decided Chang pretending to be an elf was worse than the old racist character being racist.

The dipshits zeroed in completely on "blackface". Nothing more, nothing less. Someone got mad at a blackface joke specifically so all blackface had to be erased. Always Sunny drops N bombs and those are still there. It was just blackface or anything that could in bad faith be considered blackface.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's always been like that. I think when SNL was even on Netflix the stuff they had was cut to poo poo. They cut skits, opening monologues, etc, not just the musical acts. You need to search elsewhere for complete episodes.

Why do they cut non-music stuff?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

I have not seen Discovery but I see a lot of arguing over it’s quality, please, I am a stranger in a strange land

If you aren't a Star Trek fan you might get something out of it. As a Trek fan I barely got past the first scene before stopping.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Shageletic posted:

You're thinking of Langoliers.

I highly suggest people check out some scenes of that poo poo on youtube its hilarious

I loved the story when I was a kid and my disappointment when that show came out knew no bounds.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think they even put his name on it, but it was a sequel to movie that was produced using a license to a Stephen King story that had nothing to do with the movie. Huge stretch.

Going by imdb scores, the worst thing is an episode of the view he was on. After that is a short based on The Stationary Bike, probably one of his dollar babies. The lowest scored feature is the mangler 3, which is technically a sequel to a real deal Stephen King movie and has a "special thanks" to King. Lowest scoring actual adaptation is The Devil's Gift from 1984, which apparently adapts The Monkey and King actually has a writing credit.

Is The Stationary Bike about exactly what I'd think a Stephen King story called that would be about?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Nuts and Gum posted:

I saw Dreamcatcher in the theater because a matrix cgi short played before it lol

Yup! :hfive:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Inspector Hound posted:

Community on Netflix/Hulu is my white noise show right, and

I'm not saying what he did was right but when he was in charge of Subway the foot longs cost 5 dollars not 17!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I've seen the the end of Rogue One several times before AEW Dynamite starts and the scene where Vader wrecks poo poo and kills fools on Leia's ship owns. It feels like nothing else in the movie could live up to that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

FYI, Arrested Development exit from Netflix has been pushed to March 24th for whatever reason. So you still have time to rewatch seasons 4 and 5 if you so wish.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Inspector Hound posted:

It's on Hulu too, but my progress is saved on Netflix ugh

Hulu only has season 1-3. I don't know where if anywhere s4 and 5 are going to be once Netflix takes them off. One other thing I've noticed is Hulu appears to have longer versions of some of the episodes. Or at least the pilot.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah it’s about exploitation (of both actors and audiences) and being obsessed with spectacle mainly

It had those elements but I couldn't get them to fit properly in my head to make them add up to anything.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

precision posted:

Is it better or worse than the usual Saw garbage

I think it's average. Not the worst Saw movie but certainly not the best. Maybe the most frustrating part is it almost does something interesting but then recoil because apparently the status quo of characters must be preserved even if it's only a 90 minute movie.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

For some inexplicable reason Netflix is giving me a row of "British Historical TV Shows" and along with documentaries like Attack on Pearl Harbor: Minute by Minute and Secrets of Great British Castles there is Cunk on Earth... l o l

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I watched the first episode, and even though the concept was very much up my alley, it didn't draw me in at all. Last night I tried to watch the second episode, and turned it off 15 minutes in just because it was so boring. It just seems like the main strategy of Apple is to throw a lot of money at big name stars, with it only working 10% of the time with their shows. Only a handful of shows on Apple+ are actually worth watching, but you wouldn't think it given that every single show has high profile actors starring in it. I have to wonder how much they're hemorrhaging money, and when they'll try and reign it in like Disney is now doing with Disney+ and cancelling or delaying a bunch of MCU shows, even those already filmed.

I just started a 3 month free trial with Apple and I'm really underwhelmed. I feel like I'm missing a menu or something because it seems like they have maybe 25 things on the service. There's probably only 10 or so things I'd be interested in watching and that's being generous. No way I'm sticking around after the free trial. I'll just check back in a few years for new seasons of the shows.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Vertical Lime posted:

cocaine bear is now on peacock

Good for us, probably not for Elizabeth Banks.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Nihonniboku posted:

The important thing about every mystery box show, do they actually give answers to the mysteries they set up?

The vibes I got from the first season was a strong no. Still a fun show, but it doesn't feel like they have a cohesive plan.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jose Oquendo posted:

God loving dammit, dropping the different content sub-libraries on Max really loving sucks. No more one click for Adult Swim or TCM stuff.

Oh good the one thing I was excited for (a rumored better ui) sucks too. Awesome.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

The sets were good, but the cinematography and CGI always gave me Sci-Fi original vibes even back when it was released.

I will remember forever the zero G trash from the beginning.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

When a building is clowning on you...

https://twitter.com/EmpireStateBldg/status/1661022017502715905

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jerkface posted:

That dumbfuck CEO guy (Zaslav?) literally came out and said they wanted to remove the HBO branding because it implied a certain level of quality and they worried it would turn off their idiot reality TV consumers from the WB\discovery side who don't want to watch high quality prestige TV

What I'm confused about is Discovery+ is now staying its own thing so... what the gently caress is the point?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

lol that's loving nuts.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

https://deadline.com/2023/05/max-credits-controversy-directors-writers-guilds-1235378437/

quote:

Warner Bros. Discovery has corrected changes it made to director and writer credits in its rollout of Max after receiving harsh blowback from the Directors Guild and the Writers Guild. In a statement today, Max said: “We agree that the talent behind the content on Max deserve their work to be properly recognized. We will correct the credits, which were altered due to an oversight in the technical transition from HBO Max to Max and we apologize for this mistake.”

"Mistake"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

A MIRACLE posted:

someone give me recommendations for 90s style courtroom thriller dramas that I might not have seen. no true crime unless it has really dramatic legal tension

Primal Fear is fantastic. Put Ed Norton on the map.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Starship Troopers is on Netflix for those that don't already own the blu-ray. A masterpiece in big budget satire. Unique in that no studio ever approved a movie like it since....and probably never will.

I genuinely don't think the studio knew it was satire. I was amazed at how many people didn't get it when it came out.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I hope Zack Woods is playing Nixon

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's not that recent. It's basically been a known quirk of the Netflix algorithm since early on -- I think the logic is that the platform isn't going to advertise a show to you that it knows you're going to watch, but it's all black box poo poo so who knows.

My theory is it's the grocery store strategy of putting poo poo like the milk and the pharmacy at the back so you have to walk through the rest of the store.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jolo posted:

They're fuckin gone. Somebody tie a rope around my waist, I'm goin in.

It's not worth it!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Thought this was a pretty popular show.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1666203499741208594

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

There is a version of The Idol with more interesting leads that could be good but it’s not this one.

All I've seen of The Idol so far is that clip where they mocked Rolling Stone and that was pretty funny. I'm curious to check it out.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Nihonniboku posted:

It's kind of boring

Well poo poo. I was hoping for a hot mess.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nope.

The CUBE in CUBE is, diegetically, a literal gigantic CUBE. It’s clearly made of, like, metal and stuff. People are trapped inside it.

The point is your ability to interpret a thing, be it a CUBE, a work of art, or whatever. This is not only the ability to read without being passively told what to think, but also an ability to determine if a given explanation is wrong.

My go-to example is in The Matrix, where everything Morpheus says about the purpose of the matrix is flat-out scientifically inaccurate & contradicted by both what we’re shown and what we’re told by other characters. The sensible conclusion that Morpheus is just bullshitting - and, if that’s the case, how can we tell what the matrix is?

Another example is at the end of Pulp Fiction, when Jules presents multiple different interpretations of a biblical quote. Without direct confirmation from God Himself, how can we tell which is the ‘correct’ interpretation?

One of the twists in Reloaded is that Morpheus is a tool who doesn't understand anything that's happening.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No, because we’re dealing with two different things:

JJ Abrams’ mystery box is just the basic concept of revealing information gradually in a narrative, and leaving some things open to interpretation so that the audience is kept engaged.

The ‘troper nerd-meme version of the mystery box is that evil people are tricking you and stealing your enjoyment by deliberately introducing ‘plot holes’ into narratives for malicious purposes.

I don't think anyone thinks Abrams and LIndelof are evil people trying to steal enjoyment maliciously, I think they're just terrible hack writers.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

If the focus of Lost was supposed to be small stories about 20 people dealing with their daddy issues they should have set it some place normal like everyone working in a hospital or grocery store or something and not a mysterious magical island. Of course no one would have watched their badly plotted out personal dramas about everyone having daddy issues without the mysterious magical island so here we are.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Orvin posted:

Just found out my Paramount+ subscription might be getting upgraded to include Showtime irregardless of my choice in the matter. Since it might only be $1-2 a month, and my wife watches a ton of CBS stuff, I doubt I am going to cancel.

So my actual question is, Is there anything particularly good on Showtime? My parents had a Showtime subscription when I lived with them 20ish years ago. I remember liking the Stargate TV show before moving/selling/whatever over to SciFi. But that was a long time ago. I never bothered keeping up with what might have been in there, as I had an HBO subscription, and that was plenty.

I have a yearly deal for Paramount+ with no Showtime and Showtime was added free as of today which loving owns.

You might already have it!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

frogbs posted:

Hot Wheels staring Dwayne Rock comin 2025

Edit: lmao actually read the article and seems like this is a very real possibly. Hot wheels staring Dwayne Rock from Jayson Abrams 2025.

I hope Vin Diesel steals the Hot Wheels franchise away from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Wolfsheim posted:

65 is maybe the worst movie I've seen this year, its amazing they made Adam Driver shooting at dinosaurs boring

Also you assume the whole time its gonna be time travel but nope, the movie opens with "BTW these are aliens that just looks like humans and they just crashed here" like its presented as joylessly as possible lol

THAT'S the plot? It's not even time travel? Wtf??