Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

You're correct. Hulu was originally a joint venture between the big 4 networks. It's now wholly owned by Disney but there's still content agreements in place. These agreements are all starting to expire so stuff is disappearing. The Paramount/Viacom stuff is all disappearing now. Not sure when the NBCU stuff will start going away but you can count on it.
Are they just going to shut it down at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's funny because Netflix had a really good recommendation system and even had a big competition to improve it but they had to throw all that out the window because in its current form it doesn't have enough content so 1) they pretty much have to show all new content to everyone, and 2) they don't want customers to be able to see that the system is predicting that the entire library will be 2-3 out of five stars for them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

That's not true either what the hell is wrong with you people? There is a shitload of good content on Netflix.

There's a lot of stuff across tons of genres so there's always going to be a lot of noise to a person's taste, but there is still quite a lot of high quality content.
Perhaps I phrased that poorly. They have been accumulating original content so they now have a decent amount when you include their back catalog. However people who have been subscribed continuously for a long time are going to have already seen most of that that they are interested, and at the rate they create content, in terms of new content they pretty much do have to "show all new content to everyone" to have additional, new content to promote as I said; it's very different from when it was a DVD rental service and they had essentially every movie ever made, so they could just find out what people were interested in and recommend tons of additional movies based on individual preferences.

They also have plenty of content that people are going hopefully to feel is worth watching in various genres, but they explicitly announced that the reason they switched away from star ratings because they felt that there would be content that people would want to watch that they wouldn't feel was 5 stars (in other words most of their content is going to be stuff that people would rate 3 stars but would still be willing to watch) so I don't think that's really something that can be disputed.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 23, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Flying Zamboni posted:

I only watched the first two seasons of Sherlock and in retrospect I think I can only say I liked the very first episode. The Moriarty stuff was dull and the Irene Adler episode was embarrassing to watch. The other two unconnected mysteries were also pretty mediocre.
I agree with this but I feel weird about actually recommending that people watch exactly one episode of it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have no recollection of ever hearing that but based on searching the video game magazine collection on archive.org it seems like it's legit:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like I probably must have actually seen it in the 80s and 90s and just not remembered but as someone who owned an nes I think I just saw 1-up and extra life a lot more

mystes
May 31, 2006

Papercut posted:

I cut my teeth on the Atari and had an NES from US release and it was always a 1-up, I've never heard free guy until now
I don't think the term "1-up" was used (at least in English) prior to Super Mario Bros though so other terms (including extra life, etc.) must have been used between the release of the atari and the release of the NES.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't think that's right. Free Guy strikes me as a movie for the 45+ crowd that only knows about modern gaming and streaming culture from exploitative news reports on how dumb and dangerous the things their kids like are. At the very least it was written by that kind of person.
I assumed this but also lol if they were actually trying to appeal to gamers

mystes
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Scott saying Final Fantasy III instead of Final Fantasy VI.
I'm sorry, you're going to have to turn in your nerd badge

mystes
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's surprising how "All of Us Are Dead" just doesn't leave the top 10

Nobody's called it Final Fantasy III since the '90s.

I'm also a complete idiot for bringing it up and deserved to be mocked for complaining about something so stupid.
He said Final Fantasy II

(also the bass line is similar and it might be intended as a mixture of ff2 (ff4) and ff3 (ff6) so it doesn't sound too close for copyright reasons)

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 26, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

nate fisher posted:

That said 1-UP came from pinball too (it originally meant first payer up).
I don't think this is true, or rather, while "1 UP" or similar phrases may have coincidentally been used to mean first player's turn in pinball, the reason it came to be used to mean an extra life in video games is completely unrelated. It was used by nintendo in Super Mario Brothers because "wan appu" literally means an increase of one in Japanese, so it's like using "+1" on an icon for an extra life (similarly to how "level up" meaning an increase in level was almost definitely borrowed back from Japanese into English although I'm sure saying this is going make people freak out).

mystes
May 31, 2006

I use a cheap smart TV and it works fine

mystes
May 31, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

The answer is always anime
What is the question?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gadot is so bad I don't understand how she has ever been cast in a movie, and there aren't very many people I would say that about.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So's Gina Carano!
Maybe they should cast them together in a movie that I won't watch

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bananaquiter posted:

Is this Netflix trivia game just going to be annoying movie questions?
They should have it just be questions about netflix shows

mystes
May 31, 2006

Captain Jesus posted:

The good thing about Severance is that it does not rely on mysteries or cliffhangers to be interesting/to create tension. The appeal is with the characters and the hosed up concept it works with. You learn everything you need to know pretty much in the first episode, i.e. that a hosed up company is treating its workers in a uniquely hosed up way which results in an interesting philosophical conundrumand the rest is just trimmings. What really makes the show work is the character development. We're not really waiting for any big reveal, we're waiting to see what the characters are gonna do about their predicament (and they do plenty in season 1).
Severance has a premise that definitely could have have been made as a show where this description applies, but I absolutely don't think it applies to the actual show as it has been made, especially after the last episode, where there is a lot of plot and the entire season literally ends on a cliffhanger.

I also think that it's possible you may be disappointed with the next season if you are imagining it as being a mostly psychological show about how the characters deal with the fact that they're stuck in their situation, because it's not clear if that's the direction the show is going in now. Since so little information has been revealed so far, I think there is a lot of room to imagine it going in different directions. It is possible that it could go back to something more like the beginning of the show in the second season, but it's also very possible that it could just continue directly along the lines of the season finale.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 10, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Moon night feels like marvel has stopped even trying

mystes
May 31, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I like moon knight bc of Oscar Isaac. I would be fine if there wasn’t any suit or action tbh.
I like him but I think pretty much everything else about the show is bad. I wish they could have found a better comic book to adapt to put him in or something.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Timby posted:

Disney already submitted Hawkeye, WandaVision and Moon Knight for Emmy awards consideration as limited series, so second seasons of them are unlikely. (Unlike Loki, which was submitted as a regular drama series, and the second season of that is filming already.)
I don't know the rules but even if that is an issue it seems like it would be an incredibly easy thing to work around if they felt like it just by making it a new series about Moon Knight with a different name (probably a crossover thing since they like doing that poo poo)

mystes
May 31, 2006

The HBO app is so bad for browsing. I went through it and was like "yeah there's absolutely nothing I want to watch," but then I randomly remembered that I had been meaning to watch avenue 5 for like 2 years, and it's like thanks HBO for not reminding me that exists at all

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought foundation was insanely dumb but it was dumb in a way where I guess I'll watch more if they make it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

It's constructed to funnel people to new stuff while obfuscating the amount of content actually available
Does that actually make sense though?

Like when Netflix switched to mostly original content it made sense to hide the small amount of content, but now they would surely be served better by promoting their back catalog more effectively.

If people cancel their subscriptions because they don't realize there's other content they might be interested in, that's not actually helping.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Netflix cracking down on password sharing is fine as it's pretty clear they have exhausted their total available market in North America at the very least. Also "cracking down" doesn't mean you can't share your password, it will be an extra two or three dollars per month to share your password among x number of households (no clue how this will be enforced). Ad supported tiers are a possibility, but building a profitable ad business from scratch would take a couple of years, or longer.

An alternative is for Netflix to go the Facebook route build literal infrastructure in developing countries so they could have access to Netflix.
They should launch a Netflix channel on cable for the boomer market

mystes
May 31, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't hit save on my edit before you quoted but, yes, obviously it is losing them money. But if you believe that password sharing is actually the reason why Netflix is raising prices and lost so much money, I have a bridge to sell you.
They aren't losing money, they did great financially but their share price went down because investors were unhappy that they aren't increasing the number of subscribers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lazy_Liberal posted:

thank goodness there's always a website with a name like "streammmzone123 dot com" that let's me watch whatever show i want as long as i'm willing to deal with pop-ups and redirects. somehow this is preferable to navigating loving like five streaming services so i can watch anime and also simpsons
Yeah 2022 is weird like that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Medullah posted:

My aunt bought a Firestick at a flea market for $100 and was raving about how great it was that she could watch any movie she wanted. I offhandedly mentioned that it was still technically piracy and she flipped out thinking the FBI was coming for her. Heh, good times.
I was very confused by this sentence and how someone would buy a used fire stick for $100 but I guess it was one of those things where it's preloaded with software for piracy?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Modifying a cable box or satellite receiver so you can watch pay channels for free is a little different than what is (probably) just selling a fire stick with kodi and various piracy plugins preloaded

mystes
May 31, 2006

precision posted:

this stupid new game show on netflix is so stupid but it's actually pretty fun as far as these kind of "quiz show with a twist" goes

its called Bullshit and the conceit is that if the person has to guess they have to make up a story about why they know the answer. thats not explicitly said (that they HAVE TO tell a dumb story) but its obvious thats whats going on. three other people are calling whether they tell the truht or lie and if only one of them believes the OP then even if theyre wrong they still keep playing so its pretty stupid and fun
You might like the British comedy panel show "Would I Lie to You?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Hiyah is approaching Seeso levels of bad naming.
There's no need to quibi over the name

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Is the documentary just 2 hours of the interviewer telling Tony Hawk how much he looks like Tony Hawk
That will be in part two which will come out when the new game Tony Hawk Pro Twitter is released

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

He frequently tweets stories of him out in public and people coming up to him and telling him how he looks just like Tony Hawk.

https://www.upworthy.com/tony-hawk-not-being-recognized
Also people being like "oh you have a skateboard. Who do you think you are, Tony Hawk?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

I actually kind of want to watch it after that video making it sound so insane.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Foundation is loving awful but also kind of entertaining

mystes
May 31, 2006

precision posted:

i feel like i'll watch this and be like "well this would be great if it didn't have all the stupid marvel baggage in it"
No marvel baggage? Okay, it sounds like you're asking for a baby yoda cameo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I regret to inform you I've seen the new season of The Floor is Lava

They make the terrible choice to let the people who fell into the lava come back and spectate, instead of never showing them again and implying they died
The people who fall into the "lava" don't really die from that, they're just executed as a group after the entire season ends.

mystes
May 31, 2006

In-story Adelstein is the author's self-insert character

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

You might be tired of the multiverse, but the multiverse isn't tired of you.
Marvel has already located many other versions of you who are very excited for more multiverse movies

mystes
May 31, 2006

Glottis posted:

Look, I also think the CGI extravaganza sucks and makes the movie boring and lovely overall. The bus scene and the scaffolding scene, however, have great choreography and some impressive athleticism from Simu Liu. If you're talking poo poo about those scenes, I do think you should give them another watch. We just don't get fist fight scenes that are as well composed anymore, especially not in a major blockbuster. 16:00 and 38:00. gently caress me for liking things, I guess.
The bus scene was good but that was like the first 5 seconds of the movie and it just progressively got worse after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

The kind of backlash to Star Wars being noticeably worse than you remember as a kid was inevitable even before Disney bought it, they were just the first to really capitalize on it
I think the problem is that some of the early Disney star wars stuff was not terrible, like the first movie was okay even though it was just kind of a rehash of episode iv, rogue one was decent, and the beginning of the mandalorian was surprisingly good.

This both gave people excessively high expectations and encouraged Disney to go ahead and order a zillion spinoffs.

They could have just made fewer shows or pumped out spinoffs aimed purely at kids, but trying to sell a streaming service based on this level of continuous star wars shows may have been a mistake.

They may also be trying to apply the Netflix strategy of making a ton of stuff in the hope that a small percentage will become big hits and cancelling whatever fails, but that may not work as well within franchises because once people start ignoring new marvel and star wars shows they're going to have a problem.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 14, 2022