Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Peggy Edson posted:

Vince McMahon is one of the biggest pieces of poo poo in the world and I will celebrate the day he dies.

:toot::respek::toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I still don't understand how he managed to stay in character and keep trying to do the bit. He had to be in awful pain right there. What a maniac

he considers sneezing to be a kind of moral weakness, in himself and anyone else in earshot. “maniac”, if anything, undersells Vince’s thriving ecosystem of brain vermin

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Gotta say, I was under the impression that wrestling stopped having villains like "The Communist!", "The Foreigner!", or "The [Insert Thing That Scares Old People!]" after we moved past... the 80s.

wrestling, by and large, has developed a degree of nuance within which these stereotypes would not comfortably fit...

but ultimately, every last decision regarding the dozens of hours of sports entertainment content excreted onto your screen by the WWE is made to please an audience of one rapey, racist, abusive, narcissistic, probably-brain-damaged human dumpster fire; and not only does he eat up those stereotypes with a smile and a search for second helpings, he thinks they’re :goodshit: and ratings gold, and no one will ever gainsay him

the end of Vince/the WWE (because I don’t think either will long outlive the other) is gonna look like King Lear with no Cordelia and no Fool, imo. just terrible people being monstrous to each other for the prize of an ever dwindling empire of ruins :munch:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Szyznyk posted:

Finding a more racist gimmick was a proud moment for Creative I’m sure. What I had forgotten was them making Tony Atlas a loving Zulu and him being in the ‘91 Royal Rumble.

inasmuch as there’s a bright side to Tony Atlas, iirc Roddy Piper ended up torpedoing the Zulu gimmick more or less as soon as it was revealed. God bless Rowdy Roddy Piper and his complete lack of a filter, even before a hot mic

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

WWE sounds like bad anime filler where every actual fight is padded out to hell with characters redundantly talking at each other for half the episode, except with even more community theatre level acting. And I'm guessing like comic books it's incomprehensible unless you're familiar with decades of continuity that it nevertheless also contradicts.

au contraire, monsieur Leviathan: the WWE is frequently incomprehensible regardless of your level of familiarity with the product, or how stories are typically laid out and paced, or human interaction of any kind. at the center of that diagram, where “doesn’t understand people” meets “doesn’t understand how or why one would elicit joy through entertainment” meets “actively spiting the audience and workers for having the gall to care”, sits what us punch sport pagoda dwellers call vinceflex dot jpeg

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

say, mister or ms juggalo baby coffin, are you familiar with the in-ring career of one Sonny Kiss? You might be pleasantly surprised (or less so because you might agree with me that we need more of the Concrete Rose on our tv screens)

overall, I’d say that professional wrestling outside of Vince’s poisoned little garden is less uncomfortable with its lgbtq+ aspects than it’s been in my whole lifetime. that’s not to brag about how perfect it all is now or anything; but when I was a little spring onion, the standard was Goldust at the gimmick’s most uncomfortable and gay-panic flavored :stonk:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

it’s not for nothing that MJF’s had/having angles with Chris Jericho and CM Punk; dude is a red-hot talent and is only getting better

Cody Rhodes is a gatdang doofus, whom I still find more relatable and worthy of respect than Triple H

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I get that you’re going through a great deal of adversity rn, Mr. Levesque, but your sour grapes are definitely showing itt

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

pro wrestling is Art

and Kota Ibushi its Rembrandt

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Gavok posted:

It’s a hell of a thing. Sid, Vader, and their managers Col. Parker and Harley Race are on one of those D-Day landing crafts, on their way to confront Sting and Bulldog, who are busy hanging out on an island, playing volleyball with randos. As the heels offer to pay for the faces’ retirement ventures if they call off the match, Col. Parker secretly sends a one-eyed dwarf dressed as a shark named Cheetum to sneak a bomb onto Sting and Bulldog’s boat.

The fact that Space Ghost is the announcer at the end is just the cherry on top. ...

:allears: it is, indeed, a hell of a thing, and I cannot overemphasize how pro a click this is. :wcw: <- but the tears are of joy

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Has anyone dubbed vintage Vince commentary over that sex tape for comedic effect?

WHATAMANEUVER

gbs but from 2004 posted:

didn’t he have sex with a 15 year old

the phrasing of this suggests that it was a single occurrence. from what I’ve read about the old lech, it is almost certainly not

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

gbs but from 2004 posted:

I guess I meant didn’t he legally get in trouble one time for having sex with a 15 year old

undoubtedly he did it many more times

I dig what you’re saying :tipshat: though Istr the legal troubles I’m recalling included more than one girl, neither quite so old as fifteen whole years

when it comes to most wrestlers of a certain generation, there’s always more and it’s always worse

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Andre was apparently a likeable drunken prick. Supposedly the rest of the cast of The Princess Bride would be coming to set hungover from partying with him all night and not having his alcohol tolerance.

also, as almost the only person in a position to consistently get away with it, he’d (iirc) regularly push Hulk Hogan’s metaphorical buttons and generally wind him up whenever the chance arose, for his own joy and the general amusement of the locker room. and may God bless Andre Roussimoff for it, wherever he’s chokeslamming fools now

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I appreciate that Vince has decided to try and fight the relentless march of time in the most blatant, ungraceful way possible.

He's trying to convince the public that he's not a washed-up old fart, but still has the pep in his step to sexually harass like a man thirty years his junior

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Wish dot com Vince

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

That sounds dumb as gently caress.

you understand it perfectly

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I believe in a democratic Ring-public, but I agree that R-Truth is cool

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Watching it again I'm not sure how he was supposed to conceal a pipe considering he had no sleeves so I may be mistaking what actually happened.

hasn't Bill Goldberg concussed himself at least once while "psyching up"/being intimidating pre-match by, for instance, smashing his head against a locker door

the bad ideas machine at WCW might genuinely have thought that a big bad dude like him would of course only take cosmetic damage from full-force flinging his bare arm through no-gimmick automotive glass

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

He's breaking the back of the Reaper now

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The McMahons are a power couple, not unlike Lord and Lady Macbeth

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

he died slightly younger than me, and probably in much better shape. this is heartbreaking and baffling

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 25, 2023

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

look in my eyes
what do you see?
denial that the problem's me

e: vvv u can't see it but my hand is raised in interest on a Punk retrospective

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 2, 2023

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

ngl, it bums me out a little because I'd hoped--foolishly, it would seem--that Punk might come to understand that carrying all that paranoia is destructive to him and everyone around him, and that it wouldn't, in fact, kill him to chill out and unclench for a fuckin minute

but to hell with all that, Pepsi Phil's Big Bridge Torch goes brrrrr phwoooomf. and in the face of that, what's left to do but lol, and then lmao

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

give danhausen the belt

this is not an emptyquote

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

CM Punk is living proof of how some folks will do absolutely God-damned anything other than honestly addressing and processing their feelings in any way

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tony kahn must go on a spiritual journey to get in contact with his inner carnie

so, a somewhat larger-than-usual pile of cocaine, got it

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

:vince: does get a vicarious tingle out of other bullies bullying, it would seem. it explains (among lots of other things) his ongoing relationship with his findom, Brock Lesnar :v:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

yeah, "great" is definitely grading Hogan in Japan on a curve. when all you've ever seen him bother with is hamming it up for five minutes before a half-hearted leg drop, seeing evidence that he once knew what an enzuigiri was is something of a revelation

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Punch McLightning posted:

they just hired his buddy ace "toothsome" steel

"Very Gnawty" Ace Steel

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Punk was fired just a bit too late to Control His Narrative, alas

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Signing Ric Flair is insane and I don't mean that in a good way

what does he even add to the AEW roster, anyhow, besides heart-stopping new heights of financial liability? Even Jeff Jarrett's signing was a more explicable decision

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

good lord, I was too busy going green about the gills at the dreadful possibilities suggested by "mushroom elixir" to even notice the lonesome dangling apostrophe

I bet it turns every sixth drinker into a newt

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 5, 2023

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

I mean, look at any of Hogan's time in WCW and uh, weak, is a pretty good descriptor for what was going on there.

iirc (and as it happened during my childhood and I am old and high, I may well not rc; so I preemptively defer to anyone else's expertise) the broad arc was that at the start Hogan was Not Hot!, then he finally did the Hollywood thing and was briefly once again pretty big, and then it just wouldn't ever fuckin END. if you were already a Hogan skeptic--and I as a li'l spring Onion/Hart fan/Piper fan/Stinger was absolutely among their number--the entire show became increasingly hard to watch as, Poochie-like, talk of the Hulkster's antics remained constant even in matches he had not a goddamn thing to do with

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the bitterest in the world has returned to professional wrestling's premier red flag factory. wonder how much expensive mayhem Punk will wreak backstage this time around? and more importantly, once it does happen, will Triple H do the correct and properly carny thing and accept the implied challenge of single combat with A/V equipment (unlike the coward Tony Khan)?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You know how a running joke about various WWE wrestlers is them doing promos that are just variations on "I'm just happy to be here"?

I'm glad to hear that he's happy. Here's hoping that means he stays there for a good while. On the occasions when he hasn't injured himself, his tenure will no doubt delight me, in the form of .gifs and video on the internet b/c I find the WWE unwatchable

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

his heart is shooting on him, brother

the Screwjob Inside Paul Levesque's Rib Cage

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

ded posted:

hiring ric and promoting his stupid energy drink was dumb as hell

absolutely, but evidently Tony Khan needs to learn to not hire Ric Flair the same way I had to learn as a child not to slam the palm of my hand onto the hot stove element :negative:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

"colossal tossle"[sic] sounds like a sneering parody invented by someone whose contempt for everything to do with pro wrestling has blossomed into a full-blown pathology

or, more succinctly, very :vince:. well spotted of the Fink to push back on it

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

if it helps at all, iirc it cost the Harrises their jobs on the spot, and their CVs have been increasingly shabby and barren ever since

Raven has a story about being shown those same tats and encouraging them to go show Heyman their new body art :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

feh. Who'd he ever beat?