Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Sure Sold that gunshot though.

im imagining it like that snl skit where an old timey quaterback got to keep his gun after the league outlawed them so he was just drunk on the field daring people to rush him. like some old timey wrestler used a gun in his gimmick then its ruled noone gets to use guns in their gimmick but this guy gets to keep it so he starts just going rogue and making poo poo up on the spot because he has a gun what are you gonna do stick to the act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i figured out cm punks whole thing. he doesnt know that its acting he thinks if you cut a promo on him its real. he is also a thin skinned baby who takes everything as a personal slight. so to put it in wreslting lingo he is a mark

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Having been out of the loop and reading all this, it sounds that, beyond possibly diagnosing Phil Brooks with a legit mental issue, like bipolar disorder, or paranoid personal disorder, if you believe such a thing exists, it sounds like he's just the latest example of the unique form of "Be careful who you pretend to be, because you are who you pretend to be." wrestling has infected and destroyed men with ever since the mid 70's. It was probably around earlier, but certain aspects of the 80's, I feel, made it even worse. As said, actors can lose themselves in roles, but wrestlers have that unique demon of basically always being their role; whenever they're in public, until somewhat recently, they're expected to be The Character. As Steve Martin said in a wrestling documentary, a line I quoted, if you go to a movie premiere and shake hands with Tom Cruise, you're shaking hands with Tom Cruise, not Maverick/Ethan Hunt/Jerry McGuire/etc. If you went to a wrestling event and shook hands with Ric Flair, you were shaking the hand of the man who'd be in the ring, on the TV, at public appearances, and basically almost everywhere. Heck, it seems like the only times until recently that wrestlers could be themselves was on their long drives and at home, assumingly.

And history shows that in the end, the character eats the person. Ric Flair has repeatedly destroyed Richard Felair's life because you can't LIVE as Ric Flair, but Felair is almost enslaved to it from sheer repetition and familiarity. Terry Bollea let his bad experiences and the meteoric rise of Hulk Hogan make him decide that reality was how he defined it, and it would always be defined for what was best for him, no matter what else had to be damaged or broken. Jim Hellwig was said to have been cored out and more or less killed by his overwhelming Warrior character, and while I can't say what the life of Randall Poffo, lifetime baseball player and catcher would have been like, but I strongly suspect that Randy Savage took all the negative traits of the man and made them worse. Heck, I'll even apply it to my guy, Bret Hart, who is sort of like Punk in how he views wrestling as a serious thing, and how he really did see himself as a hero to many, despite in the end he was still a character putting on a show. Steve Williams needed years to detox from the wrestling life, and even now he's still doing his things under his Steve Austin name. Dwayne Johnson managed to redirect the nature of the business into an actual acting career, and I'm pretty sure even he's done his share of bad things. And as I analyzed, it really seemed like John Cena the man was a pale ghost who barely existed, everything given to John Cena the Character.

And so it seems to have happened to Phil Brooks. The chip on his shoulder super egotist I'm better than you best in the world CM Punk pushed away everything, and as it turns out, you can't live as a two dimensional character without severe issues. Getting hosed over by other carny aspects of the business sure as hell didn't help, but it's fitting that Brooks, a big comic book fan (I mean, he yelled "It's clobbering time" before his matches), would fall under that famous Batman film line: You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

It's just a shame, and a disappointment.

the bat man line you shoulded ended with is this

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Szyznyk posted:

Terry Funk would have shaken it off and called John Wilkes Booth a sissy.

mcfoley sticking his toungue throw his skull bullet wound

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
so terry funk is just enkidu?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so there's some great poo poo going on right now

Normally AEW Dynamite is on Wednesday but there's basketball or something so Dynamite is now on Tuesday this week (tomorrow). This is also when WWE's NXT show is normally on. Also, hilariously, tomorrow is Tony Khan's (owner and booker of AEW) birthday

Because WWE is the most petty vindictive childish and insecure promotion ever, they called up all their biggest stars who could make it to show up on their C show just to try to stick it to AEW with higher ratings (because in the past AEW has beaten NXT in ratings when they were head-to-head). WWE is literally calling in John Cena, the Undertaker, Becky Lynch, and several other huge names for this just to be as spiteful as possible to AEW. ALSO, they paid to have the first 30 minutes commercial free

So Tony Khan, who in the past said that he's not gonna sit back and take this kinda poo poo, is firing back. He's adding an additional 30 minutes to the show that will be free on youtube, called the Buy In (this is what they also call the free youtube pre-shows for their PPVs). This will also be commercial free. Not only that, but Tony also announced an insane dream match for this Buy In.......... Eddie Kingston vs Minoru Suzuki. This is a strong style fan's wet dream and if you don't know who these guys are you really should. The pre-show starts at 7:30pm EST and you should all watch it just for this match alone

The main show, AEW Dynamite, will be called "Title Tuesday" and will have a ton of title matches on it. Oh yeah and Tony Khan bought a 10 minute overrun slot so there will probably be some crazy main event or some huge announcement like Edge challenging Christian for the TNT title at the next PPV and Christian accepting. IDK I'm making that up something very cool will probably happen after the main show

i watched the preshow but im not giving hulu 70 bucks to watch live tv. is there a legal but cheaper way to watch aew? ive been enjoying the effort posts and clips i see on youtube.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Stealth Tiger posted:

I feel like I am going crazy when people mention Hulk Hogan being a great worker in Japan. He looks like poo poo in all of the clips people share of him and moves at a glacial speed.

the only time he moved fast was when andre needed more beer.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

brock lesner is a viltrumite

:yeah:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i look foward to the rock losing his take over of tko just like his failed take over of dc movies.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's a huge :lol:, because the elderly Fox News viewers, who make up the bulk of Raw's audience when they fall asleep in front of the TV after switching over to it, aren't going to bother learning how to use Netflix

idk i can see it being true but also all the old people i know have netflix because theres a bunch of poo poo they want to watch on it but they also fall asleep and it played 3 episodes and they dont go back and watch those episodes then they try to talk to you about it and youre like wait you didnt see X? its an entire episode. and they think youre loving with em

snergle fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 24, 2024

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
ive been thinking about this and how far do you think this goes back. like is the rock about to have to step down from his new tko role to. is hogan era poo poo about to come to light?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/WrestleOps/status/1753810557633782113

tequila salesman doing black adam on his old job
lmao

i called it that he would try to take over like he did with wb. looking foward to him loving it up some how.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Hollismason posted:

Its basically going to be Hulk Hogan and the WCW all over again.

i didnt watch wreslting then. like alot of people i started watching in the attitude era then dropped off before it ended. i really like stone cold and mc foley specifically the socko version of mcfoley. then a thread possibly this one got me into watching wwe again for new day and i really liked that they were a 3 man tag then i was just watching clips of them then i fell off again and then this thread got me into aew where i like most stuff but i really liked danhaussen and i orange cassidy and honestly most 3 man tag teams

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Extra Large Marge posted:

Let us not forget The Big Show's work as Captain Insano

wasnt stone cold in the longest yard and they made some stone cold has a huge dick joke?

looked it up it was goldberg with the huge dick joke stonecold was a guard as was kevin nash. im sure theres more wrestlers i dont know in this. bob sapp sounds familiar

snergle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 13, 2024

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Supreme Allah posted:

That's not the Rocks problem. Early in his career, his character in that John Travolta movie (get shorty, or something adjacent to it), was a gay bodyguard. Which (while obviously not a flaw) is fairly against type, or was at the time. He also got beat up by Travoltas character.

In the Mark Whalberg movie 'Pain & Gain', Rock played a blithering idiot.

In 'The Other Guys', Rock and his partner Sam Jackson are killed early by their own stupidity.

Also even in matches, Rock never had that complex of 'I must go over' like the other big egos. In fact Rock got beat up and took more losses than almost any other babyface or #1 in the company that I can remember. He just stayed popular as gently caress because he was funny and cool. Not because he never lost.

I don't know what Rocks major issue is but it's not being afraid to look silly or make fun of himself. That's more a Vin Deisel or Steven Seagal thing.

One problem I have is that I've never seen Rock have convincing chemistry with a romantic partner in anything, ever. I have theories on this but since I kind of always liked Rock, I just chalk it up to a lack of dramatic range.

Terry Funk got thrown through a glass door by Stallone in the arm wrestling movie 'Over the Top'. I think it was him.

hes changed and his ego is alot bigger now. he literally tried to start a coup at warner bros and being unsucessful at this has basically relegated him to the fast and furious franchise where 1/2 the cast hates him.

i cant confirm this but im like 100% certain jumanji two got made because everyone was making GBS threads on rock and kevin heart and cooing over jack black. watch them back to back and you will see jack blacks character toned way the gently caress down and put in the back and rock and kevin do a character instead of just playing themselves which was the main complaint everyone had about them in the first one.

snergle fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 16, 2024

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Grendels Dad posted:

Huh? In the first movie, The Rock did a pretty good job acting like a timid teenage nerd coming into his own, it wasn't at all what he usually does.

rewatch it its just the rock being the rock for 99% of it same with kevin heart just being kevin heart for 99% of it. jack black actually acted like the teenage girl playing his character. then in the 2nd one the rock and kevin get way more screen time and act like the characters controlling their character. in the 2nd one they both showed they can do it as well as jack black and just phoned it in in the first one. this is when the rock was making 3 movies a year and phoning in everything. remember that earthquake movie or the rampage movie lol

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

MasterSitsu posted:

I've read the Be Cool novel before the film came out and it feels like it was written precisely for him to a T. The movie sucks but he's good in it. Southland Tales was him stretching himself and is underappreciated. In time though people are correctly noticing Pain and Gain is his best role.

He's dressed/looks the same across the Jumanji movies, Jungle Cruise, Rampage and San Andreas (I had to google to even remember the last ones).. but I'd argue in Jumanji 2 and Jungle Cruise he's doing decent work/not phoning it in. But in general, like a number of actors right now, they are brands first, and overly in control of everything, which ultimately makes the majority of their work forgettable algorithim-driven generic swill

100% agree jumanji 2 him and kevin did alot better then jumanji 1 i havent seen cruise it looked like his standalone jumanji movie and i wasnt interested i might check it out since my sister has disney+.

pain and gain was easily his best role. I kinda wish that became an entire genre. dumb crimes made into a movie with actors playing the parts in a silly way. like drunk history but movies. i had forgot he was in southland tales ide have to rewatch to give my opinion on it.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

titties posted:

I kind of liked The Rundown tbh

was that the one with stiffler or with johnny knoxville?

IT DOESNT MATTER they are both great rock movies!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Jonny Nox posted:

Carnies are to grift like flies are to poo poo

hes probably bored. alot of people cant handle retirement and they get bored then they go back to work or become bitter assholes who run an hoa or something.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i remember watching a clip of some fan rushing a ring and stone cold just drops to the mat and rolls out of the ring i assume the video was post neck injury and he was protecting himself but while the camera is focusing on steve procecting himself you can see the ref just beat the poo poo out of the fan in the background.

looked it up and i had it wrong. its the ref and hhh beating on the fan and steve was already on the mat it looks like pinning hhh when the fan rushes in

snergle fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 14, 2024

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
im like 90% sure its gonna be what we already know and its just getting hyped up but theres that 9% thats like oh poo poo this might be crazy and like .1% its like what if this is like vindicating for cm punk

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
so the footage is basically what we already knew. also tony being scared for his life w/o the audio makes him seem weak . if cm punk was like im gonna kill you jack and right after im done im killing tony to then maybe but i highly doubt it

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's exactly what happened. The full audio version is floating around in the discords and Punk can clearly be heard screaming "I'm gonna kill you like I killed Benoit". Tony should have seen through that since Punk is only capable of killing the audience for Collision but he was still right to be scared.

oh poo poo i didnt know that.

Elephant Ambush posted:

lmao what the hell is wrong with you

lots of stuff but in this case i basically get my wrestle news from this thread and kinda sort watch aew. so im not very informed on every thing. all i knew was what i read in this t hread which was cm punk got mad about sugar glass got in a fight with jungle boy and samoa joe broke it up. tony reported he was scared for his life.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The same article states "McMahon has not stayed in contact with WWE leaders, but has been in touch with John Cena and Dwayne Johnson, two of the wrestling outfit’s biggest success stories." Which, considering the Rock is on the TKO board, is incredibly loving stupid.

if i was the rock or cena i would immediatly deny that poo poo. although knowing both of them their probably mega chuds and dont care and its true. hollywood wont care either look at mel gibson and roman polanski

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the rock has a very charming and charasmatic presence like Arnold Schwarzenegger but Arnold was okay with making fun of himself and looking like a fool and also knew how to pick movies that played to his strength

arnold also knew how to get his rivals to pick bad movies by pretending he was interested then backing out. see stop or mom will shoot.

arnold probably has a masters in psycology just from his mr olympia days

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Time_pants posted:

Uh-uh. Can't leave the story there.

i thought everyone knew. but in pumping iron arnold relentlessly but subtly tears down lou ferrigno so hard that lou who should of won by all rights. kind of threw the competition.

the one i remember the most was he took lou and lous parents out to eat and kept talking about how lou isnt ready to win hes to young and how arnold is ready to win. arnold is younger the lou

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of legends, seems like the world agrees with my assessment that Richard Felair wants to die in the ring like it's possible Apollo Creed did, because he says he may have well have suffered an actual legit heart attack in his supposed final ever never doing another retirement match.

Life, it's so arbitrary. Ric Flair destroys himself for decades via both wrestling and his uncontrollable living large, has a heart attack during his final match, doesn't even NOTICE. Windham Rotunda is half his age, catches COVID, and gets weakened enough that he has a heart attack himself, and dies. Not that I think Flair SHOULD have died, but it's just a matter of percentages, you know?

Also, while double checking the exact date via Flair's wikipedia page, it lists him as STILL being an active wrestler despite the whole RIC FLAIR'S LAST MATCH thing. And one thought the late Terry Funk couldn't retire until the retirement that comes for all came for him. (He wrestled his last match nearly six years before his death, and his Wikipedia article says he 'retired' in 2017 for the very last time, so...yeah).

terry funk is still wrestling in the after life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The Hulkster will try anything to get over. The Evangelical reformed sinner route makes perfect sense.

I guess the question is, what is he getting out of this? Is it for money, or is he just that consumed with own image? Like I don't see the money in this. It's not like he can launch his own weed gummy brand appearing on the 700 club.

He can probably get people to donate to a church, but does he see any of that? Is he selling Hulkser themed Christian paraphernalia now?

lol if you think the second any southern state legalizes weed every mega church in that state wont have t heir own weed gummy. and hogan can easily become a mega church pastor.