Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A big flaming stink posted:

I'd just like to let fritz know they should chill with trying to police what is or is not on-topic. I recall them being particularly quick on the draw to demand posters drop something in the COVID and China thread from recent memory.

Yes this, it’s impossible to do consistently. Here’s a recent example:

Fritz the Horse posted:

I realize I waded into the conversation some myself, but per Koos' edict we ought to avoid revisiting conversations that have already been done to death, it's probably not adding much new or interesting to Current Events discussion.

I'm not threatening probes or anything, just suggesting folks wrap up 2020 primary discussion unless there's fresh information that might add something new. It's a Sunday night and the thread is slow, but it would be best if this particular area of discussion came to a close soon-ish. Thanks.

A decent discussion popped up on the failings of the 2020 Warren primary campaign. Despite having contributed to it themselves, Fritz lets us know that the discussion is over and should not be revisited. I thought it was a fruitful discussion and I had seen some points presented that I had never seen before but fine rules are rules ... but then a few pages later there’s a big derail about Hamilton: the musical which is even less “current” of an event and has also been discussed before in the thread. Fritz gives it a mod endorsement:

Fritz the Horse posted:

The current derail about Hamilton, Les Mis, and other politically relevant musical theater is fairly new territory for D&D. Certainly folks have dunked on Hamilton before, but going into somewhat more depth is a new thing and interesting.

There doesn't seem to be any objections from the mod team so... carry on!

For the record, I have no issue with people posting about Hamilton in CE thread. I have zero interest in Hamilton or musical theatre but if other posters wanna talk about it, no biggie—I can just scroll past. But it’s frustrating to see the moderation of topics being applied inconsistently.

I think the CE thread is at it’s best when it’s loosely moderated and posters themselves determine where it leads. A semi-relevant derail every now and then isn’t something that warrants active intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Koos Group posted:

I spoke with Fritz after the incident you're referring to and concluded that it if a thread is veering toward a topic that's unlikely to bear fruit, rather than trying to head off the conversation it would be better to just give a reminder/warning that posts should be insightful and not common talking points or basic political rhetoric.

Great, thank you! Also wanted to add: I didnt mean to single Fritz out, was just the most recent example I could find. I think the moderation has been pretty good, all told.

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, neither myself or EHF were hand selected by mods in DnD as far as I am aware, my initial appointment to IK the Covid thread was pretty much all between Athanatos and me. I'm sure the mods had opinions about it but I wasn't already part of the mod clique or anything.

Re: derails, my personal opinion is if something is fun, harmless, or interesting/informative, I'm going to more likely to let it slide for a bit. Specifically referring to BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress's example, I don't recall anything particularly informative or interesting about the Warren 2020 chat, it was all pretty much reheated leftovers (DNA testing, was a Republican until 40) and tbh the only interesting bit that came out of it was the blood quantum stuff Fritz was able to speak on. Everything else was stuff we already knew/clearly saw in 2020 and there wasn't, iirc, anything new or revelatory about that discussion. In addition, rehashing old primaries tends to be one of the more contentious and drama-causing things in CE and I can understand why Fritz wanted to step in sooner rather than later.

Since I provided the example, I’ll elaborate further: There was a point presented that Warren received favorable attention due to her gender which was entirely new and interesting to me. Also, it’s been a couple years and I wasn’t here for 2020 primary chat so I enjoyed seeing what other posters thought of it.

Fwiw, Hamilton had previously been discussed in the same CE thread, earlier this month. Arguably more of a rehash, less recent and less relevant to CE .. but the people clearly wanted to post about it, so who am I to cry foul? The point about primary chat causing drama is valid and completely understandable.

Also - I wanted to commend you for letting the obesity chat take place in the covid thread recently. It’s only tangentially related to covid but it was a good, fruitful discussion. That’s the kind of moderation I like best.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 29, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

This is an absolute parody of D&D moderation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Also: probing that post while ignoring the previous two seems inconsistent. (none should have been probed)