Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Speaking of ambiguously gendered TV characters, I finally got around to watching The Watch and I'm surprised I didn't see more complaints about it from the transphobes of Twitter considering the presentation of Vetinari and Cheery's character arc. Maybe they did complain but I was lucky enough not to see.

The show didn't 100% click with me but I thought it was a decent interpretation of Ankh-Morpork and the casting was good. I was pretty unhappy when Detritus dies in episode 2, even if there are hints he's not completely gone. More generally I had a bit of dissonance where familiar parts of the books were taken and moved and the timeline muddled, or elements from one story arc rearranged into another. Not that those are necessarily bad choices for the TV series, but if you've read and reread the books things just feel a bit off. If there's a second season I'll probably watch it, but I won't be too upset if there isn't one either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bug Squash posted:

I don't think anyone who is transphobic or liable to complain about gender swaps would go anywhere close to a Discworld property.

I do complain about the most recent adaptation though, since it misses a lot of the point of the characters. A female vetinari is perfectly fine (although no-one is ever going to top Charles Dance's Vetinari), but the Cheery we got manages to spectacularly miss everything central and important about her character. Not to mention that 5 minutes after we get the story of the pathos of Carrot being a human sized dwarf we get another human sized dwarf and it apparently wasn't an issue for them.

Just a confused production all round. It feels like they just stuck a Discworld skin onto an unrelated steam punk show they couldn'tget greenlit.
Yeah the Cheery of the TV show is not at all the Cheery of the books, and dwarfs in general were handled strangely. That's one of those things that would be fine as a standalone, but felt odd as someone who's read Discworld. The musical numbers were unexpectedly fun though.

Mr Phillby posted:

I thought it was pretty okay too. I was suprised how much i grew to like the portrayal of vimes in particular.

It had its issues but I liked it a lot more than the Sky adaptations and less than the cosgrove hall cartoons. Stop motion Truckers remains the best pratchet tv adaptation imo.

Also i can attest that my terfy sister was in fact super, super mad about Cherry's portrayal, naturally she didn't watch the series at all though.
In episode 1 I was pretty put off by Keith Flint as Vimes, but he definitely grew on me a lot. Haven't seen any other Pratchett TV adaptations, and it's been a long time since I read Truckers, but that sounds like something for a lazy afternoon some time.

e:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I made a conscious decision not to compare it to Discworld at all and enjoyed it hugely. Weirdly I think had they tried to make it more like the books it would have been much, much worse for it because it would have run into the literary equivalent of the uncanny valley - I certainly liked it far more than any of the other attempts to film Discworld.
I agree, the best way to watch it is as its own thing. My partner hasn't read Discworld and enjoyed it a lot.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 1, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's simple, forums are God's chosen means of online communication where the good and the righteous post. Social media is a satanic perversion of that ideal, populated by the lost and the damned. That some people use both is a demonstration of the duality of Man.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

StarkingBarfish posted:

'Saville row: Sir Keith mishandled suits'

I thought this was quite good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Epic High Five posted:

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1485701877396295681

*Daytona USA voice* ROOOOOOLLIIIIIIINGGGGG STOOOP

I think that's just one example of them programming to allow the sort of law breaking people are used to instead of, well, anything that would make cars being actually autonomous possible. Pure lifestyle poo poo

This is a great account and this post had me in tears (sound on):
https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1462871651188674560

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I was going to say. Weird high ground to take that you're happy to work for a man who is personally a hugely reprehensible piece of poo poo and lies with every breath he takes, and to further the goals of the party filled with people like him (among them personal friends of Savile), but you can't possibly stand for a throwaway insult that isn't even really all that far from the truth.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I realise that these people haven't actually had an attack of conscience over this. It's just so insulting and tiring that the papers and supposed top political commentators are constantly telling you "these problems you see and experience yourself, they aren't real, they don't exist, but if they do exist they aren't actually problems, they're good", and then on the other hand they act like two posh pricks having a spat about who is the bigger friend to powerful rapists is the most important thing in the world. If you took their poo poo at face value you would quite literally become insane.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He starts the show by saying "You're here to see an edgy comic right?" and specifically says at one point that he wants to get cancelled. That rung alarm bells so massive Boris was trying to get me to bung a bob to have them bong for brexit, but I'm trying not to be too humourless about politics especially when watching TV with the wife, so I tried to give it a fair shot.

I watched it because I used to enjoy a lot of his older shows, but this is just sad. It's a hollow structural copy of the bit he used to do where he'd sit and say a few edgy jokes that were deliberately pushing the envelope, and then go back to the anecdotes and crowd work. Only this is the entire show, and the 'jokes' aren't funny.

The one good line he has is adressing an antivaxxer in the crowd saying that the spread of the virus is determined by the density of the population, and some of the population *nods at heckler* is pretty loving dense. Apart from that it's just uninspired bigotry and leftward punching.

I feel like he must have lost or fired the last of his funny writers because like I say, he was funny and the shows used to have an enjoyable atmosphere. But there's something very hollow and cynical about this show.

Of course since Rachel Riley shared a stage with him, she must of course do the decent thing and retire from public life immediately.

I watched the first 15 minutes or so of it because I remember him being occasionally pretty good on panel shows, but it all just felt pretty predictable. Like someone doing a bad impression of him.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/NetopiaEU/status/1489735177907712008

Threatening messages I can't see any issue with, but 'knowingly false'....?

Wouldn't that criminalise nearly every MP who has a twitter account?

This message is knowingly false.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The public interest includes the interests of a bunch of landlords and Tories, I try to vote for political parties acting in my interest instead. In Labour's case maybe the interests of labour would be good a start.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dick was just too pure for this world. A true victim of the Met Police.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

suck my woke dick posted:

speaking of weak performative bullshit

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/durham-university-returns-wartime-flags-to-japan-in-decolonisation-drive-dq62qp07l

the university claims this is part of decolonialisation. If you read into it it's sending a family memento to some next of kin which is fair enough but Durham instead claim it's somehow decolonialisation.

Hell no it's not decolonialisation, Japan was just a loving awful wannabe-empire trying to displace a slightly less awful but still terrible existing empire, and the end result of Britain fighting Japan in the Pacific was a contribution to weakening empires all around. The idea of "decolonialise the university by returning imperial Japanese war trophies" should be answered by "lol no we shot some bad guys and took souvenirs, die mad about it"

This is pretty funny because Durham University has a huge collection of historic Asian cultural artefacts literally plundered by a colonial governor, but they don't seem to be thinking of giving them back?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_University_Oriental_Museum

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'll freely admit that I am almost entirely ignorant on the topic and don't really understand the Russia/Ukraine situation, but it's not clear to me why the UK & US are arming anyone there, or really are involved at all.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Hard to argue - why, if the entire population died off but the money remained, the UK would be the richest country per capita on Earth!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sebzilla posted:

Corbyn is a podcaster now.

https://twitter.com/corbyn_project/status/1493271161676996610

Praxiscast team, you know what must be done

He was on the Alexei Sayle podcast last year too, talking about Starmer and the future of Labour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHe1rwn8o4
Predictably he was very careful not to say anything directly critical of Labour, but Karie Murphy was a lot less circumspect.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You just draw your best picture of the new monarch over her face and carry on using it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Had a group meeting today. My office is open as normal and my manager said at this point we should all just expect to get covid. This is admittedly more or less in line with the (Norwegian) government's guidance, but gently caress that. If I don't have a good reason to be there I'm working from home until they come and drag me away from the comfy chair in front of my sweet rig, with my dog sleeping in the armchair behind me. What's the point in going in and using an inferior, dogless setup until I get ill?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you run an entire country as a front for embezzlement, money laundering and tax evasion you can hardly get upset when other people also avail themselves of the opportunity.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I enjoyed this line from that Guardian article, after several sentences explaining how Putin is not Hitler and Ukraine is not Czechoslovakia:

quote:

What Putin has in common with Hitler, however, is a mystical belief in a nation stretching beyond his country’s current borders.
Since it just as easily applies to every Tory in Parliament and the half of the British population that thinks there's basically still an Empire, really, we're just letting the Indians have it a bit their own way for now.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dabir posted:

The issue is that Russia's spent the past decade at least funding these separatist movements and pushing them as hard as possible. It's like saying "If the UK suddenly wants to leave the EU, what's the problem" without giving any thought to where that sentiment came from.

E: Not saying Russia was responsible for Brexit. I'm sure they're not unhappy to see it and might have chucked some cash in its direction, but home grown disaster capitalists and lunatics were responsible for Brexit.

I see the point you're getting at but I'm not sure that's a good comparison to support it, since Brexit went ahead and has been more or less accepted as a legitimate democratic decision regardless of how much misinformation, lying and shady money was involved in getting to that decision.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I didn't realise those were the only two choices. But until Johnson does a photo shoot riding a horse bare chested I don't think they're really comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Looking forward to Президент Johnson announcing a British peacekeeping mission in the independent nation of Bretagne.