Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

loving closing the thread as I type a reply, I'm calling the police and having Guavanaut put in Megajail.

If you can come up with a definition of "social media" which includes all current social media but excludes BBSes, Usenet and web forums I'm all ears. It wasn't something that was invented in 2001 and then MySpace etc then filled this new frontier, the term was coined to describe these new companies who were simply doing what had been going on for decades but with lower barriers to entry (and conscious decision not to actually bother enforcing the norms of the older methods but that's a different and even more bitter argument).

Certainly from a *legal* perspective the only difference between the first bulletin board systems and Twitter et. al. is scale. Both allow one person to send a communication which goes to multiple people, many (or most) of whom the sender does not know at all, over a system not owned by either party. And as I pointed out, there was already a long-running (and extremely influential) court case and surrounding debate over where such proto-social media fit into the law; it's utterly ridiculous to say that the drafters of the law just weren't aware of the distinction that had already been drawn between one-to-one and one-to-many communications on the internet. They knew *exactly* what they were doing by locking all electronic communication to this much stricter standard than to the looser (relatively speaking - it's still a very high bar) standards that the courts had established in Godfrey v Demon.

(In fact part of me really wouldn't be surprised if you told me there'd been intense lobbying from ISPs to apply such a strong standard directly to users as a way of heading off them having to shoulder any more responsibility for the actions of their users, but that's purely my own :tinfoil: view rather than anything I have actual evidence for)

I think we went over this ITT a few months back. IMO social media is specifically something where you primarily follow a person/account and it shows you (in theory, algorithms etc. aside) all of the things they post. Forums are where you typically follow threads, topics etc. I have no idea what other people ITT post about in other parts of the forums except when I just happen to notice them in other threads. With social media you're sort of signing up to someone's whole output rather than following specific topics.

Also maybe some stuff about sharing other peoples' output to your followers etc.

I think that's straightforward enough but I imagine I'm about to get Diogenes'd to gently caress. I know for example that facebook has "groups" which are more akin to regular forums and twitter has "topics" or whatever you can follow which doesn't strictly fit the above definition but I'd also argue that they are not the *core functionality* of those sites.

Anyway I also understand the distinction in that effectively when you post on social media you are still posting in public and the difference in terms of libelling somebody or whatever makes some sort of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Was Rachel Swindon the one where it turned out it was actually a dude pretending to be his ex-wife?

No she's the one who's actually some sort of weird racist who stans for some accounts who are endlessly harassing a black woman on Twitter.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Love to think of 84k as 'just paying the bills.'

She's in the US so that very much could just be paying student loans and medical bills or whatever.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean I don't think VCM has ever spoke out at all about her brother being a gigantic, racist piece of poo poo so it's not that surprising?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah Curry's is fine. In Milton Keynes they're paired with PC World in the same building (which makes sense as PC world is owned by Curry's). They're decent enough for appliances. I bought a (cheap) TV from there in like 2012 when I bought my house. Also yeah if you need a cable right now instead of waiting for one to be delivered or something they're OK for that (but also take the absolute piss on cable prices just like everywhere else).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Since we're talking old computers I'll tell the story of how my Dad and his mate were probably the first people ever (and maybe some of the only people ever?) to be able to take a screenshot from a BBC micro.

I may have told it before.

My Dad trained and qualified as an agricultural mechanic when he was young, and I believe that was what he was doing for work. He was always interested in technical stuff but came from a working class background and didn't have much opportunity to get interested in computers. In the 80s he met a guy who lived locally who'd been to Oxford and got into computing while he was there.

He got my dad switched onto it, and my family bought a BBC Micro, and they got into gaming. They realised that there was a market for guides to the adventure games that you'd get on there, so they set about hacking the code of some of the games to give themselves infinite lives and things like that to make it easy to get through the games and create guides for them. My Dad bought a camera with a fast shutter speed to be able to literally take photos of the screen in order to sell them to gaming magazines. Ultimately they realised there had to be a better way, so they worked out how to physically solder a load of wires to the main board of a BBC micro so that at any point they could get it to dump the contents of the screen memory to a second BBC micro and save them, allowing them to take screenshots directly through hardware.

It's pretty cool, really. It led to my dad taking up a career in computer graphics stuff which he continued until he retired a few years ago.

The other guy was Peter Gatehouse who went on to be a medical physicist and was a pioneer in cardiac MRI stuff. He was on Tomorrow's World years ago when they had a bus with an MRI machine on it:

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co8036155/mri-scanner-built-in-a-double-decker-bus-mri-body-scanner

quote:

MR (Magnetic Resonance) mobile machine - built into a 1983 modified double deck motorway coach (a MCW Metroliner) as fully working, low cost mobile clinical and research machine, which has been used to pioneer many techniques, funded by CORDA heart research charity and developed at the Royal Brompton Hospital, London, 1991. Registration number B232 XEU.

Built within this double-decker bus, was for a time, the most powerful heart diagnosis machine in the world. It appeared on the once popular television programme Tomorrow’s World and was a result of funding by CORDA. The charity, now part of the Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals charity aimed to find a way of detecting cardiovascular disease at an early stage by the use of fast, painless and non-invasive means. Designed by the Royal Brompton Hospital and built by James Brown and W H Bence, the fit out cost £383,000. Being built into a double-decker bus allowed the unit to move around the country and different hospitals used it for research.

Pretty cool stuff really.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1490632843080384515?s=20&t=qA-3_pmnmCOuInzwM7uPyg

Interesting. Left-wing policies very popular even among Con voters.

But no, gotta swing right eh Keith.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm waiting for them to also bring up how Starmer was head of the DPP when it was decided to let John Worboys (who raped Carrie Johnson) avoid further charges.

They're probably keeping that one in the back pocket for the next election... but then I thought that about the Savile thing. Turns out there just needed to be a sufficiently large crisis for such a big dead cat I guess.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

mediaphage posted:

i live in a small city in canada and housing prices have jumped here, too. since we were lucky enough to buy a few years ago, the average housing price has literally almost tripled.

i doubt we could afford to buy our house today and we bought one of the smallest houses on the street. i guess theoretically we could take out a heloc and invest that but ew no. it’s really brutal and i have no idea what people are going to do in the next decade.

Yeah we did our first scouting trip of Canada before moving here in 2018, and part of that was visiting lots of different cities (Vancouver, Nanaimo, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto plus a few more between Van/Calgary) and also searching for house prices in each place. We looked at what was available for $400-450k (about £230-260k) because we were selling my house in the UK for ~£230k (up from £165k when I bought it) and figured that was fairly easily affordable. There was lots available at the time, in all of these places except for Vancouver and Toronto, but by the time we'd actually moved here (Ottawa) just 6 months later it was starting to get a lot harder.

My wife was earning as soon as we got here but we thought we'd wait for me to get a job and then be able to afford stuff more easily, but in the meantime house prices started going up by 20% year-on-year, so we ultimately said gently caress it and bought a place in 2020 so as not to get priced out of the market entirely. Was an awful experience, bidding wars on everything - we saw like 20 different houses and made bids on 5 or so before getting one accepted, and even then we were competing with someone else and had to up our initial offer. One house we saw had 28 bids. We ended up getting a place outside of Ottawa proper because we couldn't afford anything closer to town. The place we got is a decent size, and detached, but we had to stretch our budget to the max and it needs about $100k (£60k) of work done on it to bring it up to a nice standard. I'm not talking about spaffing £40k on a kitchen either (though it does need a new kitchen to replace the 30-year-old one), I mean stuff like the cladding/siding is 35 years old and hasn't been maintained so needs replacing, windows and doors need replacing, the garden is gravelly scrubland and the fence is falling down, stuff like that.

On the plus side, I'm learning about home maintenance stuff. This past week I've been repairing damage to my kitchen ceiling caused by a roof leak. Plastering a big patch of ceiling is a complete fucker, especially if you've never done any plastering before. I wish I could have started with a wall, at least.

We were lucky in a lot of ways, having a deposit from selling my house in the UK (which I was only able to buy in the first place because I lived with my parents til I was nearly 30) and my wife finding a reasonably paid job. I have no idea at all how anybody younger than me and especially without living with parents will ever be able to afford to buy a place. My wife and I are in our mid 30s and we can just barely afford our house. It's poo poo. My house has probably gone up in value by $100k or something since I bought it but I don't give a poo poo, it's all imaginary money. We did benefit a bit from UK house prices going up and getting into the Canadian market before things here went *too* insane, but it sucks to have to move to another country to do that, plus 99% of people don't have that option in the first place (even doing all the immigration stuff etc. costs money, too).

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If I had a time machine then sure, I'd buy all the bitcoin I could and cash out before the first big scams and rugpulls.

But at the time, the chances of you hanging on until it was valuable enough to cash out for millions, but also not become an obsessive hodler, and also avoiding the cratering of the first big exchanges, is astronomically unlikely. You really didn't miss out, because most people weren't on the winning side of the scam.

Yeah I know a couple of people who had bitcoin fairly early on. One made £200k... but then their coins were stolen. The other bought in when they were $20, sold out when they were at $200. Made like $20k which, you know, is not to be sniffed at but is not the $5m+ they would have made if they'd held on for longer.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 9, 2022

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

jiggerypokery posted:

I've never eaten a Michelin-star. I assume it isn't worth it

It depends. I have eaten at 3 now I think, a 3-star in Copenhagen, Geranium - expensive but absolutely mindblowing. It was about £250 per person but it was 20 (very small) courses and we were there for about 5 hours.

I ate at the Fat Duck (one of Heston's) and it was about the same price, but definitely not as good. Some of the food was excellent but some other stuff was definitely more style-over-substance. I would probably not recommend this one.

Then Pied A Terre in London, twice now, we did some tasting menu thing for something like £80 for I forget how many courses, 7 or so maybe? You get a couple of more substantial main-type dishes with also things like an amuse-bouche at the start and a bread course and stuff. Very very good food.

The service and atmosphere at these places is also excellent and if you're booking in advance they're typically *very* good about taking into account your food preferences, allergies etc. (important for me because I'm vegetarian).

Basically I think some Michelin Star places are overpriced, and some are actually very reasonable for what you get and the work that goes into the food. It's worth noting that some places that do tasting menus (often like 10 courses) in the evenings for £70-150 often also do a lunch where it's 2 or 3 courses for like £50 and the food is still just as good.

As a (very) special treat, it is good. The stuff at Geranium was the best food I've ever eaten by a mile. I allow myself to not feel bad about spending so much money on a meal because I don't smoke and I don't drink often so I figure gently caress it, a bit of indulgence once in a while is fine, when I have the money. I've only done it like 4 times though, nevertheless.

Despite the comparatively high prices, I can believe that (at least some of) these michelin star places might not make that much money. The ingredients they use are really high quality and it takes an army of cooks to make it. At Geranium the kitchen is totally open to the seating area so you can see them making the food and they had about 20 people buzzing around making the different dishes, for only about 30 customers. Of course some of the customers they get are the sort to spend a couple of grand on a bottle of wine to go with their meal so I guess they make some money there. That said, I checked out the prices of some of the wine we had at Geranium and they were charging only like 10% over retail or something. Heston's place was taking the piss with the wine prices, comparatively.

For all this though I preferred Vanilla Black (no stars, vegetarian restaurant) in London to Pied A Terre - not everywhere with excellent, michelin-quality food actually gets a star. Unfortunately they've closed down permanently since covid.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 11, 2022

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

If it's a restaurant with a chef you recognise from the telly, it's probably overpriced and shite

Oh I just remembered I also ate at Simon Rimmer's vegetarian restaurant in Manchester. No Michelin stars but really good and only £14 for a main. So not every TV chef is a wanker, at least in terms of overcharging for food.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/Women4Wes/status/1491381518325149702?s=20&t=cHWgJUnjn6o--HQSlepFlg

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's a good thread and those are good ideas, but it baffles me that someone can be intelligent enough to come up with all of those points and still miss that none of that is at all possible while we have a government ideologically opposed to doing anything ever.

I mean she does acknowledge that the UK is just pretending it's not happening.

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1491891811765399554?s=20&t=AIAdm6L23bzLg8LC1QFf3w

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

crispix posted:

MPs get an email questionnaire months/years later for having parties during lockdown but if you had one at the time on a council estate you got 16 bald n' beardy, tattooed polises breaking through your door and sitting on you and punching the back of your head GET ON THE FLOH GET ON THE FLOH GET ON THE FLOH NAOW U CAHNT GET ON THE FLOH like that :cop:

Yeah I mean, an example of how the pigs investigated possible parties that working class people might have been having:

https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/status/1249692787110486018?s=20&t=NSviTr8T33LjwCy6BzIsuQ

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1493700289022545920?s=20&t=GHwJz2U0Nscy-B0wYXXpYA

lmao

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1190629117449912321?s=20&t=GHwJz2U0Nscy-B0wYXXpYA

Note the date of the second Starmer tweet there.

And, because I can't be bothered to upload it again separately, repost-me-own-tweets-Dibbler:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1493702450489999364?s=20&t=GHwJz2U0Nscy-B0wYXXpYA

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/TypeForVictory/status/1494034483108093956?s=20&t=MM0rH85ytbuD4I7kTRxzMw

https://twitter.com/TypeForVictory/status/1494071965514088448?s=20&t=MM0rH85ytbuD4I7kTRxzMw

Whelp. Thankfully I was on the earlier repayment plan and paid my loans off (for a Foundation Year and then a 1st Year and then dropping out) a couple of years ago.

This is some regressive poo poo though.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ThomasPaine posted:

Who can bring themselves to give a poo poo about student loans? I apparently owe tens of thousands and forget about it for months and years on end. Silly joke loan that seems to exist purely to convince working class people they're going to gently caress themselves by taking it and not to go to uni after all. It's literally just a graduate tax (which sure shouldn't be a thing either) in all but name, but under neoliberalism everything must be expressed in market language.

Whether you give a poo poo or not, freezing the payment thresholds is still relevant. Used to be that as average pay went up, so did the thresholds for when you start paying/how much you pay back - same as how your personal allowance/tax-free amount goes up every year with inflation. Not anymore. Your graduate tax just went up in real terms, and it'll continue to go up, and even those who currently don't earn enough to be paying them back will soon enough start having to pay some portion, often to go on top of the rest of the effects of inflation giving real-terms pay cuts.

And before you (perhaps not specifically you but the plural form of "you") might have had a chance at repaying them at some point and being free of them, if you were a middle-earner. Now nobody except for people who go on to be finance wankers and those with rich parents will ever pay them off.

So yeah, it's a tax on middle-earners more than anything else. It's regressive as poo poo.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

God damnit thread, you've got me making popcorn.

And I'm going to put some of that Kernels cheese seasoning on it. It's not bad. Not as good as the stuff you buy in bags like crisps but it's like 80-90% of the way there IMO.

Also I guess I could set up like a thing where I ship people North American snacks for money now I live in Canada. Would anybody be interested in that?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

TBH the majority of snack foods here in Canada are just trash. Chocolate bars are all just some variation of chocolate and nuts and/or caramel. Sweets are all just overly sweet sugared bullshit. Crisps are all just cheese and/or jalapeno/spicy flavour.

I mean it's exaggerating a bit, but in comparison to British snack foods it's not far off. In the UK you get a much wider variety of crisp flavours and types, plus all kinds of nice biscuits (you do get some of the same stuff here, but instead of a lot of the more interesting stuff you get a million varieties of "cookie"). Same for crisps actually - they have a few interesting flavours like Dill Pickle (actually quite good) and "All-dressed" which I've mentioned ITT before - they literally have several different flavourings added: "ketchup, salt, vinegar, barbecue, sour cream, onion and other mystery seasonings" - my taste buds tell me they have paprika in too.

They're alright, fairly unique... but again instead of some of the really interesting flavours of stuff you get in the UK you get 20 different varieties/shapes/thicknesses (yes really) of salted tortilla chips and a whole shitload of cheese and bullshit flavour crisps. I remember when Walkers Sweet Chilli Sensations came out in the UK, I think what was their first foray into like, "unusual", international flavours, and then the floodgates opened for all sorts of other interesting stuff... I just think that never happened here. I have found some sweet thai chilli flavour things but they're like corn or rice chips or something - some baked thing - not really satisfying.

I have had some luck with going to the Chinese supermarket here - including Lime flavour, Cucumber flavour (actually kind of like a good but weird spicy flavour that also tastes of cucumber), "Numb and Spicy Hotpot" flavour which is like szichuan chilli and is *amazing*, and other weird stuff like salted egg yolk flavour crisps.

Also there are Indian populations wherever you go in Canada and I shop at the cheap supermarkets where lots of other immigrants (like me) shop, and so I can get some of the awesome kinds of Indian crisp-like snacks which is good. I'm yet to find a good Bombay Mix which matches what I used to get in the UK though.

I like crisps.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I dunno. Like if Chinese people are offended by that then I'm happy to listen to them, but to watch it and say "Bill Bailey is a big racist!" or whatever seems a bit much.

It's a bit culturally insensitive, granted but he doesn't actually ridicule Chinese people or anything. It doesn't come across as hateful at all. It's mostly just "The language there is quite different and difficult to learn as a Westerner" and "They eat different animals over there" which are both somewhat lazy/easy topics for a comedian and *verging on* something horrible but IMO he doesn't quite cross the line. I'm willing to be told I'm wrong if somebody can explain why. There may be other stuff he's said that I've missed.

I'm not stanning him btw, he's probably a lovely lib based on 99.9% of other well-off comedians out there. I also actually went off his comedy after his 3rd DVD I think it was - just didn't find him funny anymore.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So uh Russia is invading Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

mediaphage posted:

the us and canada also sends out regional AMBER alerts on the emergency notification system when a child is abducted

Yeah these are a pain in the arse. I think they send them out province-wide for any child abduction and of course, each of the provinces is bigger than the UK. I'm in Ontario which is like 2000km wide so 99% of the alerts we get (which often seem to happen at like 3am) are for miles and miles away. They make your phone make a loud horrible siren noise that freaks my cats out if it's not muted, or do the max-strength big vibrate thingy if it is. Cause we're on the border with Quebec we sometimes get ones in French if we're connected to one of their masts, too.

Also it seems like most child abductions are like, one parent has taken the child away without telling the other parent. Also they're usually saying like "Look for them in a [vehicle description], license plate ABC123" but sometimes they literally don't even have that, or even a description of the person or child so like... what are you supposed to be looking for?

... That said, I did receive a genuinely useful one telling me I was possibly about to be merked by a tornado. I wasn't, of course, but there was a big tornado in 2018 like 6 months before we moved here that destroyed a load of stuff. I didn't know when I bought my new house here but we have this huge tree in the front garden, it's about 20m tall (like twice as tall as my house). Well apparently there were two of them before the tornado. The other one fell over into the road, and the city gave the previous owner 24 hours to remove it or get some huge fines, so he got a bunch of people who lived on the street to help him chop it to bits with chainsaws.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 27, 2022