Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
That's a pretty solid Best Picture category besides Don't Look Up. I'm not as hard on it as others, but poo poo doesn't hang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Alana Haim is also pretty bad snub. Especially since Nicole Kidman’s stuff Lucille Ball really deserves to nowhere near the Oscars.

Cage absolutely should have been nominated over Bradem.

I feel like Cumerbatch is gonna walk away with the Best Male category

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

To be honest if people already complain the Oscar’s are way too long, they don’t really get to whine about a few awards — the ones they really didn’t care about — getting cut.
The Oscars are for old people who are going to watch regardless and for film nerds who like seeing the shorts. You could cut down the Oscars till like an hour and nobody's gonna give a poo poo and start watching who hasn't already.

Score is particularly stupid though because it's something people can recognize about a movie.

Anyway, important question, is Meatloaf gonna be done dirty by the In Memoriam?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The shame is that the Acting Noms are actually pretty good besides the atrocious I Love Lucy movie getting noms that Cage and Haim deserved.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
CODA is really fun and deserves Best Supporting Actor, but honestly it's a pretty basic indie drama. Like 2020's The Half of It is a movie with a very similar tone, plot, and I think is equal quality. I'm fine with it being nominated for sure, but realistically it should be Power of the Dog vs West Side Story.

As for deeper meaning in Power of the Dog, Phil is a gay intellectual who has been desperately running away from this identity to accept a myth of a rugged and toxic cowboy. Peter is the representation of everything he is trying to not be: intellectual, openly feminine. The toxic cowboy myth is destroyed by this new sort of man and everyone is happier for it. I think McNutty is wrong with the idea that Phil is undone by dropping his cowboy facade. It's the facade and the misogyny that goes with it which is what leads to his murder.

EDIT: To be clear, it's a loving travesty that Zegler or Haim didn't get nominated over Kidman and frankly Stewart. She should have been invited because she was robbed or at least deserved to be snubbed by better performances.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 24, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

lmao what the gently caress is this clip collection.

edit: And not a peep from the audience.
I missed the beginning and could not begin to figure out what the theme was.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

surf rock posted:

I kind of want to watch Cyrano. I believe it's probably not good, but the trailer song is a banger.
It’s fine. A middling musical, but it was fun enough.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I guess the clothes do look kinda cool
Cruella is a good stupid movie about literal fashion crimes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is that Ricardo's movie good or just pure distilled Oscar bait?
No, it’s really lovely. Like Chicago 7 it’s like a fake movie.

This is a pretty great impromptu speech despite the fact that dude we get it, dude made fun of your wife’s condition.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Will Smith has been told his poo poo doesn't stink for the vast majority of his life.
yeah kinda but it was a really lovely joke so whatever. Someone should have done the same thing when Seth McFarlane was singing about women’s boobs.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Baronash posted:

I keep remembering that they cut awards for technical categories to fit in more Amy Schumer and my mind loving disconnects from my body.
The burn on making a movie about Lucille Ball with no jokes was pretty good

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

She loving sucks dude. And her movie was rear end too
She got robbed for cinematography and Power of Dog's only real competition should have been West Side Story and Drive My Car.

Also it was a fine burn.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I don't dislike Judd Apatow but him sincerely clutching-pearls about the slap possibly being lethal is the funniest thing he's ever done
Yeah, violence isn't one size fits all. Don't slap people, but he slapped someone who clearly not trying to defend himself, didn't seem to do any damage, and then walked away. He wasn't trying to beat him up or anything. Rock's response is, "What the gently caress dude?"

Basebf555 posted:

The slap itself I understand, like in a vacuum I get that sometimes you have to slap somebody.

The part I'm having a hard time with is how meticulous and calculated Will Smith has been for 25+ years in building himself and his career up to that moment, and then to do that when you're on the doorstep of the crowning achievement you've worked so hard for. It's just bizarre that it happened on that night, at that moment.
It was insane how he was able to spin the event in his acceptance speech with such a small period of time. Dude could have literally just bought a private island to escape society with that time which is what my anxiety would make me do if I had Will Smith's money.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm willing to eat poo poo on this comment because I'm white AF, but it was also kind of bizarre to make a jab about a Black lady with a shaved head because that's not that unusual. Not that it would be okay if she was a different race, but I didn't know about Jada's condition, and she didn't look out of the ordinary to me. I have friends and coworkers who have chosen to go pretty close to shaved. I feel like with the context after the fact it felt kinda hard to not to feel like he knew about the condition was being actively lovely.

But then again, the whole, "Javier you're gonna sleep on the couch if you win and Penelope doesn't! WOKA WOKA" bit points to Rock just kinda being a hack these days.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 29, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Having said that I think jim carrey is being weird about it. I think probably bruce willis has it about right, when asked he shrugged and said as far as he's concerned its forgotten already.
I feel like Demi Moore star of GI Jane slapping you over this joke would give everyone the sense of closure we need as a nation. Bring everything full circle.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Darko posted:

I honestly don't see what half of people are reading into it, but then there are Amy Schumers saying they are traumatized so I don't know wtf.
I feel like being the people at the show who are asked to make jokes about celebrities who had to go back out there after a dude who they both referred to as their friend got slapped on stage for telling jokes are allowed to feel that way. I think the whole thing is stupid and there is not much to say about it, but being critical of Sykes and Schumer for explaining how they feel is also silly.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 31, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the idea that the Oscar nominations are particularly predictable is overblown and regardless of quality the last thirty years of winners are more diverse than you’d think. Like regardless of what you think of CODA, it’s not even an Oscar bait movie and I don’t think anyone thought it would win anything. And like what other film even meets the idea of being predictable Oscar bait besides maybe Belfast and King Richard?

The one thing that is predictable is that if you’re a somewhat famous person who plays a dead real person in a movie, you’re getting nominated. Like Tom Hanks could play Ronald Reagan by wearing a black t-shirt that says “Ronald Reagan” on it and be sipping coffee and reading right from the script during the whole thing and he’ll get nominated.

But honestly the Acting categories should be completely rebuilt from scratch. They’re the most bullshit

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

CODA is absolutely Sundance Oscar bait. It hits all the inspirational notes.
The same inspirational beats found in what? Nomadland? Parasite? Green Book? The Shape of Water? Moonlight? Spotlight? Birdman? 12 Years a Slave? Argo?

CODA is a cute, twee indie coming of age story, but so is like The Half of It and nobody was nominating that for an Oscar. It struck a cord with people for how its representation and specifically for how it presents ASL as truly a language in of itself instead of a a way to compensate for not being able to speak and hear English. But the only comparable nominees I'd say we've seen the last few years are Gerwig's films which have consistently failed to hold water. Like you can go back to Slumdog Millionaire to find something that I think is a comparable tone to CODA and that's sandwiched between feel good inspiring films, The Hurt Locker and No Country for Old Men.

The Oscars are so full of poo poo on so many levels, but I feel like people spike the ball with it and create this false narrative that the most generic movies strictly for grandmas for Best Picture and that's clearly not true. Honestly, if they were just giving Oscars to like The Post and poo poo that would at least be consistent. The Oscars are so baffling and frustrating because they often do reward earnestly great and interesting movies, but also Green Book.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

CODA hits all the notes of Captain Fantastic from a few years ago and is nominated just the same. The difference is actually winning, which you never expect from a Sundance film.
Captain Fantastic was only nominated for acting. The other two movies Live Fruit mentioned came out fifteen years ago and sixteen years ago respectively. They lost to The Departed and No Country for Old Men.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Oscar bait doesn't mean bad. It just means the movie coincides with the kinds of politics and sentiment that Oscar voters tend to like.
The problem with the Oscar Bait term is that it's such a vague idea that you can sort of squint and say anything is Oscar bait. It's not really a helpful term and just ends up getting used as a pejorative.

I think my insane crazy suggestion for fixing the Nomination Process:

--Create a diverse core committee of film critics, professionals, and academics who can actually commit to seeing most of the films that are released in a given year.

--Have the committee then create curated categories that are a mix of both genre and other qualities of a film. Something like: Drama, Comedy/Satire, Speculative, Adventure, New Voices, Horror, Thriller, Culturally Significant, Groundbreaking, Musical, Experimental, Popular.

--The broader voters then take part in multiple rank choice voting efforts for each of the subcatergories and then you end up with a winner in each of the subcategories.

--You then have another round of rank choice voting in which the winners of each category are voted on with only five of the subcategories actually being nominated for the final round of voting. That way you don't slide in because you were the only Musical that year.

--They then vote on the five nominees. Five nominees because nobody is being tricked into watching the Oscars because ooh maybe you're giving Black Panther an Oscar or whatever

While I push back against the Oscar Bait idea, I think you do get into these issues where mediocre movies will get slid in because they FEEL like they should win an Oscar, and in the case of Green Book, they sometimes win, especially with split votes.

So, let's say next year there is a really good drama, but there is also this middling Hilary Clinton biopic starring Meryl Streep. Well, they're both dramas. So, instead of taking up a slot, the middling movie gets eliminated from the get go because there is clearly a movie that is similar to it in terms of genre and tone and it's not going to win anyway.

And you end up with a more diverse set of nominees.

It's not a perfect system, but I think it might work.

Also, if you're not willing to create a spreadsheet for your movie watching, you're not allowed to vote.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I mean CODA is an indie movie and it’s biggest star is Matlin and just won best picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Matlin is, herself, an Oscar winner, and kind of a big deal. But yeah, it is a notable exception.

Like, didn't Fox Searchlight used to be Fox's division for indie movies? They did Nightmare Alley this year, which has quite a few major stars.
Not to dismiss Matlin, she's great as is Derbez. But I think it's fair to say a lot of folks saw the movie not knowing who they were.

I think the relationship between big names and indie films is a bit contextual. In the case of CODA, someone like Maitlin is a great actress, but despite her Oscar win, doesn't get a lot of big roles like this. So, both she and the producers are getting something out of her presence.

With Nightmare Alley, it's Del Toro. It's not a little indie film that could. It's a huge director and I'm sure a lot of those big names were excited to get on board.

Then you have Nomadland which was McDormand's baby. The basic bones of what the movie was supposed to be was something she wanted, and she brought Zhao in to bring it to life.

You also have situations like Pig where it technically has a big actor, but one who makes tons of lovely movies, and this just happened to be one of his little invisible movies that was actually really good.