Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ranbo das posted:

I mean by that logic can we point to the USSR version of operation paperclip and say that Russia is also a Nazi country? Seems fair

Yes? It is in fact very fair considering the effect of taking in Nazis for their military and scientific knowledge had a negative effect on the counties that did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Arms control was probably a concern that was limiting Western support to Ukraine to non-lethal aid for much of the last 7 years, it's Russian aggression that has changed the risk calculus to prompt a flood of lethal aid support.

The risk calculus for the Trump admin providing lethal aid was so that they didn't look soft on Russia, only increasing the amount sent when the Democrats attacked Trump on being too friendly with Russia. Biden's calculus probably has more to do with Russia's actual military position but it's also helped with domestic image.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

after Ukraine gained independence in 1991, the Associated Press officially dropped the use of “the” to indicate it was a country. for over three decades, the government has had an official policy of requesting that English speakers not use the “the” because it considers the term to imply that ukraine is a territory of a larger power

i would not use it unless your aim is to piss people off

This entire argument is really just an example of how goons are old and are remembering what they learned as a young kid/grade school if English is their first language.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

KillHour posted:

The thread devolving into a nasty ideological civil war about whether America as a whole and Joe Biden specifically is stupid or evil or neither or both while globally important poo poo that has nothing to do with the western hemisphere is happening is incredibly appropriate. It's like a stupidity fractal.

If US CE talks about America's involvement in this than the mods tell people to take it there until they clog up the thread and are told to take it to US CE.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I genuinely think someone who says something like that shouldn't be invited back to speak really anywhere because it's both embarrassing and insulting. Like that's not a difference of opinion, or even the usual bullshit Americans do where every leader they don't like is Hitler--it's actually minimizing Hitler's atrocities by suggesting what Putin may do now is somehow even worse.

Unfortunately US media is profit motivated and this gets profit.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Keisari posted:

It is importance to remember that the nazis werent beaten by dialogue or nonviolent resistance. They were shot in the head, and the rest were hanged.

Well really many of them were recruited by Western governments and the Soviets for their scientific knowledge. And de-nazification in Western Germany is generally considered a failure. But yeah, they shot some in the head.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

I still don't understand why "Officials feel Russia will adapt" is a thing?

If your officers are full of corrupt fail-sons and your average infantryman doesn't know what the gently caress is going on, how do you adapt?

Has anyone seen any adaptation besides "oh they are shelling civilians now"?

You can't adapt when your logistics are hosed and your chain of command is FUBAR

It's generally safer, better, and more realistic to make plans and ideas based on the assumption your enemy is competent and not an idiot. They're not at a point where it's impossible for them to adapt so you need to assume they can/will.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah I think this shows how ignorant the average American is of NFZs. Which they really shouldn't be, since it wasn't that long ago that we did it in Libya.

It's because we've never really enforced one on a county that could reasonably punch back and punch back at the homeland if they wanted to. I expect there is little understanding of the risk.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

headspace posted:

I know having two million people stream into your country can be unnerving and stressful, but I believe most Western European countries have issues with declining populations. I would think absorbing a bunch of well educated, culturally similar people is a boon long term.

Yes, that's why this has been a big change in Poland's acceptance of refugees.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tuna-Fish posted:

Note that this is very normal for Russia. They have a very long history of bullshit like this. During the WW2, there were a lot of stories of heroism from the front. A huge majority of these were just plain made up by people working very far from the front and who never talked to anyone near it. I must emphasize here that there were absolutely a lot of real instances of heroism happening at that time, but those were not what ended up in the propaganda, because the idea of actually telling the true stories literally never entered anyone's mind. They decided they needed stories of heroism, they ordered people to invent such stories. The fact that there would have been true such stories available was just irrelevant.

Similarly, here someone in Russia got the job of publicizing the use of a hypersonic missile. Someone decided that a text-only article, or one with stock footage of missiles would have been too boring, and ordered them to put some nice drone footage of the strike on it. "But sir, it was in western Ukraine, we can't fly drones there. We don't have footage." "I don't give a gently caress, just put some random missile hit on it."

That's not really Russian specific, you're just describing war propaganda from the beginning of time.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Xombie posted:

"Some random twitter tankie nobody said these looters and thieves are Roma" is not the exculpatory evidence you would like it to be I'm afraid

Thanks to the internet you too can now gently caress your brain up with the kind of desperate excuses people make during war without ever even needing to step foot on the battlefield.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

freeasinbeer posted:

Also that we’re Nazis and that the Ukrainians are Nazis.

Thus justifying big daddy Putin.

However on the balance of things; only one side is killing women and children; so 🤷

Edit: this is whataboutism. This is bad. I’m just so loving tired of the decorum poisoning enabled poo poo posting and it’s so easy to sink to their level.

I agree with other posters that d&ds tolerance of intolerance is bad and makes the site worse. If the unnamed forum can’t be controlled why do we have to deal with them baiting other forums and celebrating their irony poisoning.

Yeah it's kind of wild, I thought D&D was generally better about keeping racists out and being intolerant of intolerance but now posters are quickly falling into holes about justified attacks on Roma.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How are u posted:

I mean, that's pretty much exactly what motivates an enormous number of Trump's supporters. Sticking it to their perceived enemies, making 'the libs' mad.

Political groups hate the institutions and members of opposing political groups, yes. The same way we have multiple threads about mocking and being mad at right wing institutions and groups.