Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

The Russian nationalist tendency to refer to Brits as "the Anglo-Saxons" is so, so strange to me. It really highlights what a bizarre and moronic propaganda bubble they've built for themselves... I haven't followed Russian language media closely or anything, but I studied Russian for a long time and spent some time studying there. I had never seen the term "англосаксонский" outside like Wikipedia historical articles until this war started. Is there some logic behind it? Is it supposed to make them sound primitive, or something?

Incidentally, one of the early Rurikid tsars married a daughter of Harold Godwinson, the last Anglo-Saxon king, so Solovyov is dunking on his own glorious history also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Bashez posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1529602163567206400

I wonder how close to accurate this claim of Javelins needing 10 hits per kill is. That's shockingly poor performance to me.

I can't imagine it's easy to tell the difference between one missile hitting your tank and another hitting it. Could easily be they got dinged by older/less effective stuff, and generalized it all into "javelin".

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/26/filtration-and-forced-deportation-mariupol-survivors-on-the-lasting-terrors-of-russias-assault

I haven't seen this posted here, so apologies if it has been already.... The Guardian has a really harrowing piece on a relatively lucky couple that went through Russia's filtration camps out of Mariupol.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Probably a more direct antecedent:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Heroine

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

KitConstantine posted:

The post you quoted specifically mentions tourism, not immigration. Do you have concerns with restricting tourism from Russia? I assume you do.

Or maybe a reason why you are conflating tourist visas with every other kind of visa/immigration in general?

I don't know about the EU at all, but in the US applying for visit visa (one purpose of which is tourism) then petitioning for asylum is a totally valid way for a Russian dissident to immigrate. Shutting off the tourist visa (equivalent) pipeline would mean some number of people who are trying to escape would end up stuck.

Edit: slow posting, beaten repeatedly

Neorxenawang fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 10, 2022

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Tourist visa policy isn't going to cause regime change, nobody is claiming that.

And we can't get all countries onboard with sanctions, so why would anyone expect that to be possible with visas. Especially when it comes to loving Turkey.

The thing is that not restricting it is also playing into Putin's agenda. Just speaking to some relatives in russia, they're under the impression that this whole thing is overblown and not a big deal. Besides beets being 20% more expensive or whatever, what else has changed? They can even go chill in Italy for a week, so it can't possibly be a horrific atrocity that their country is perpetrating. Plus it would mostly impact the muscovites and other upper-middle class people who matter at least a bit to the regime.

I suspect you meant to quote Fishbulbia, but I wasn't really addressing what influence visa bans might have on the Putin regime's stability. I agree that visa bans likely will have basically no effect one way or the other. I am totally supportive of sanctions that undermine the Russian war machine, even if they harm the civilian economy as a side effect (like cratering car production), but closing avenues for dissidents to escape seems like it does real harm for relatively little real benefit.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003
Question for native Russian speakers: it seems like increasingly I see русский used where I would expect российский (like in the above post, "русская армия," or at Zmiinyi Island "русский военный корабль"). Has that distinction always been mostly in really formal/academic language, or is there an ideological element that's relatively new? Like authorities are intentionally conflating Russian ethnicity with Russian statehood.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Ideological and imperial

Русский is often meant as ethnically Russian, while российский is always "of the russian state". Russian nationalists loathe the words российский and россиянин while for every non-white person in Russia русский as an adjective before unusual things is a red flag.

Think English vs British, sort of, how the former frequently has nationalistic connotations.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The linguistic distinction is about as common and clear as a distinction between a brick and an apple, meaning that the only shift is with people who find it imperative to put an accent on Russian ethnicity for a reason, which is going to be highly dependent on what sort of people you’re hearing.

It's hard to stay on top of this thread, but I wanted to say thanks for these responses! So basically it is exactly the red flag it seemed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Kikas posted:

Hell, this has spread to other nations - Poland has a lot of "rusycyzmy" which is to say russian-based/inspired words or phrases, or other parts of language. However, there is a great push now against one thing I never considered. We used to say "na Białorusi" and "na Ukrainie", and now people are moving towards "w Ukrainie".

You see this in Russian, too (though "na" isn't so much used for internal parts of a larger place, but like islands and events). Moscow standard Russian is "на Украине," Russian spoken in Ukraine is "в Украине." Something I've noticed since the war is that Russian opposition media (like Zona or Medusa) has started using the "v" preposition instead of the standard "na". It's possible they've done that since before the war, but at least to me it looks like a subtle political positioning thing.