Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I consider it a personal failing that I could never learn to like bigos. It looked disgusting as a kid, and that stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

(I hope no one minds the image dump)

I don't think it's a good game, not my really my genre either way, but there's some quality post-communist 90s greyness in The Medium.

The Beksiński inspired stuff looks to also be quite well done.

It leaves GamePass on the 16th if anyone else wants to have a look.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's also a point of pride that ours, Polish, came just years after the US (course, it didn't last long).

I had that repeated to me a lot when I was growing up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

szary posted:

Same in Poland, a broken leg or cancer won't put you in debt for life, but on the other hand waiting times times are so long that you either pay out of pocket or your "super urgent!!" procedure gets scheduled for 2025 and you'll be treated like poo poo at the hospital.

idk how much things have changed in the last two decades, but a little "donation" used to help with line placement. some doctors were less subtle than others about this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder if this'll make Orban reassess his allegiances.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

my family went full trump/antivax the last few years, so i wasn't sure anymore, but it seems there are some limits to just how broken their polish brains can get.

i'm still a bit worried that after the early feelgood period, there'll be a growing anti-refugee sentiment fueled by agitators exploiting the troubled past of our two nations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ziemkiewicz on refugees from a country that's forbidden men from leaving "a lot of them are going to be bandits. Some of them even terrorists trying to instigate a provocation"

i loving hate people

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is Tiktok staying put?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

In Polish there are masculine and feminine forms of some surnames. If a masculine surname ends in i or y, the feminine form ends in a. However, names that end in consonants don't have male and female forms.

And the masculine form is usually adopted when anglicized (Yvonne Strahovski, Emily Ratajkowski), which took me a while to get used to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Without going into this to the level of American weirdness I’m basically half Russian. Having been the subject of ethnicity/religion based slurs for half my childhood I decided way back that I will never stoop down to the level of saying “ruski/ruscy”, which if you spoke casually about Russia with anyone in Poland is loving weird because what are you going to say, rosjanie?

I’m having a bit of a breakdown now and I think it’s time to give in because *gently caress* man ww2 level warcrimes, which I explained to myself up to now as a thing one might do with the baggage of having to go through 5 years of war. Looks like all it takes is a week (if that) of things not going to plan in a special military operation

I don't know what else to say, except that it's utterly devastating. I have to take a pause from following this stuff, because combined with realizing what's tolerated in that one putrid subforum, it's broken me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Fidesz 2/3 majority, nazis got in as well. No hope in this country.

Is it the grasp they have over media?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kaczynski on Orban (radio interview):

“If Orban’s behavior doesn’t change, we can’t cooperate the way we have in the past”

and

“If Orban can’t see what happened in Bucha, he might need to visit an ophthalmologist” (Orban wanted an investigation first, because stuff is easy to fake in the modern world)

https://www.rp.pl/polityka/art36040291-kaczynski-krytykuje-orbana-nie-mozemy-wspolpracowac-tak-jak-dotad

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry if this was brought up in the war thread already, but I've been trying to stay away for a bit.

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1514894841309708295?s=20&t=TFMxD3e_sl1SzNjqBxjFSw

What the gently caress? I can't find much coverage of this elsewhere, but I don't think an image like this needs much context (yes that's a Z flag)

gently caress these people.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

I always had a weird feeling about brutalist architecture since i have a few buildings that follows those styles in my town, which are so painfully ugly the world would be a better place without but they are old enough to be granted historical site protection(and will be maintained as is forever).

Yeah brutalism is something I like to admire at a distance. It can make for some pretty pictures, but I loathed it when I actually lived around it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

alex314 posted:

Brains rot with age. I see it with my family, people that never held any extreme opinions start sharing such nuggets of wisdom like "let's not vote for PiS (yay) because Kaczyński is a Jew (huh?)".
Lol

But is that age, or the indoctrinating power of the internet?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Had a doctor (Australian in the states) today that wanted to make political small talk ask about Poland’s problem with Russia when we’ve historically had plenty of adversaries, like the mongols, yet don’t hold a grudge against them. Also brought up the Maidan “coup”, and German tankers in Ukraine that no one’s talking about. I think it was Epoch Times assisted brain rot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

"Warto przeczytać, jaka jest definicja orgii"

O M G

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

My happy childhood memory from Gdynia is discovering smoked flounder. (yes, the beaches sucked)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

The wage gap (as compared to the West) is really shrinking rapidly for programmer-adjacent jobs and the rest can get hosed and buy their coffee at Biedronka.

Not sure about oil change though.

It’s been nearly two decades since I’ve been to one, but Biedronka isn’t actually particularly cheap, is it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mokotow posted:

That’s crazy, I am a Warszawiakwianin born and raided and we’ve been told all my life Warsaw’s water is some of the cleanest because of Lindley’s waterworks.

I remember the days when rust colored water wasn’t uncommon. Early 90s Mokotów.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What bank was it?

E:Oh Raiffeisen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Meat and produce mostly tastes better in Poland imo than in the US, with the exception of beef & bacon. The beef here just doesn't have the full, rich flavor of american beef, and the bacon is just all wrong and far inferior. Though the US, being the heart of empire, has a much much much bigger selection.

Beef & Roll, one of the local (Warsaw) food-truck/restaurants, used to import their beef from the US and it was incredible- but that was almost a decade ago. Since then I think they are using EU beef and the burgers just aren't nearly as good, in addition to all the normal quality problems that come when an establishment branches out from a single location to dozens.

Meat: Pork is better in poland, the rest is equivalent or inferior.
Produce: Mixed, smaller selection, but it's a lot easier to get farm-fresh stuff at markets in the city than in most of the US.
Bread: No contest, Poland takes the crown easily, lapping the US many times over.
Cheese & Dairy: Poland is cheese impoverished, but I do like Korycinskie and that grilled mountain cheese.

Can’t say I agree about the bacon. It’s one of the things I try to buy at Polish stores (I’m in NJ) because it’s so much better. Maybe I need to try fancier American bacon because what I’ve eaten really doesn’t compare.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Someone’s importing Polish bacon to the US? The times we live in.

I’m actually not sure how much of the fresh stuff at these stores is imported, versus made here but ~differently~. Whatever it is, I love it, but maybe this place just has particularly good bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

In certain Dutch circles 'cancer' is the punctuation curse. At least it's something actually nasty for us.

Tangentially, I wonder how Holender (Dutchman) became a mild curse word in Polish.