Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, most of Czechia is there on the map. And who gives a poo poo about Aš anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Like ten years ago I uploaded a ton of election spots ripped from TV to YouTube, among them one of Mr. Cibulka / Pravý blok. To this day I get the occasional notification that he himself had commented on the video with some fresh public announcement because apparently this video with triple digit views is a major part of his PR platform.
Did it have The Pendulum For Psychotronically Recognizing Russian Agents?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

Right. I like "Amy Adams přijela do Prahy", but definitely go with "Nový film s Amy Adamsovou" for other cases.
Well, the real problem with that one comes with Russian names ending in =ov. Sports commentators have been caling the tennis player "Anna Kournikovová" for years and it never got not grating.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seems EU is finally trying to move against Orbán. Can this actually hurt him in any meaningful way?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh, you also have some kind of non-losers you could theoretically send to Eurovision?
Not really, no.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

advanced statsman posted:

The people who presented the resolution are, however, entrapped by corruption scandals and I don’t think it’s unfair to say that the government is seen as mostly weak at the moment.
It's less "weak" than "actively antisocial". The corruption is neither here or there, every single post-89 government was corrupt to the bone, we're used to that poo poo. The current government is very openly and unabashedly ran exclusively by rich assholes for rich assholes and lives on being propped up by the lack of credible opposition and city liberals brainwashed into supporting it by constant repetition of the mantra that anything to the left of Hitler is communism. Either way, their support is dwindling and we can most likely look forward to living in an ANO/SPD-ran fascist chickenocracy.

I'm not bitter about this in the slightest.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 20, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

advanced statsman posted:

What kind of… bestija would use vinegar on potato salad?
It's a corrective in case you put in too much sugar and/or apple.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

apples belong in tuna salad, not potato salad smh
Shots. Fired.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Who is/was Oliver Salad?
Our Lord and Savior.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

шуба means "fur coat" in Russian, in this context implying a dish called "herring under coat" (dressed herring in proper English, I think?)

basically it's a giant glob of mayo with some herring, beetroot, and random poo poo in it
This is the most disgusting thing I've seen all year.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Distressing.

Still got a bucket of potato salad to go around and the spring temperatures mean there's nowhere to store it safely :cry::nms::barf:
No problem, it'll walk away on its own.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

The Czech Republic has elected Petr Pavel, former head of the NATO Military Committee, as its president, beating former PM Andrej Babiš 58:42 :toot: Clearly this infiltration of civilian power by the military is further proof that homonazi corruption has given the Bohemian scoundrels an insatiable bloodlust.
What it's really proof of is that we just got a president who'll happily help out whatever nonsense austerity scheme the current government comes up with.

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a better option than Babiš, but I somehow can't muster any enthusiasm about adding yet another right-wing conservative to a system dominated by right-wing conservatives, so we can all pretend everything's well with the world while healthcare and social services collapse around us.

e: Now Fiala is on and I just wish someone shoved a ripe tomato into his smug mug.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 28, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, agree on that. Honestly, the ideal solution would be to abolish the office altogether, but that's obviously not gonna happen - kicking them out of the Castle would be a pretty good start. Might make the people realize the president is an official, not a bloody king.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

Would you kick him out... through the window? As is the tradition?
Sure, as long it's the first defenstration and not the second.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're really social democrats in name only.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

If I have any impression of Czechia I sort of think of it as Poland with fewer christofascists
Give us time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

Czechs are the guys who came out very much on top when the Berlin Wall fell, a better version of what happened to Poland.

They of course did that by being nationalist and xenofobic as gently caress, as Czechoslovakia dividing in half was due to economic disparities and "lol, sort out your gypsy problem yourself" from the Czech side.

Legal weed tho...
Funny, and here I thought Mečiar was using the Slovakian nationalism to justify a change that'd give him a fair bit more power.

As for the "gypsy problem", :yikes:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't the new government just turn it into a propaganda organ for their side?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
e: Actually screw that, I'm not going to spread the killer's views.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 21, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We have a clique of political gun nuts but that's mostly because arms manufacturing is one of the bigger industries here. Couple years ago, there was a constitution amendment that guarantees "the right to defend one's life with firearm in hand is guaranteed within legal circumstances" which was really little less than a bone thrown to the gun lobby and a slap in the face to those eeeevil European bureaucrats.

That being said, change is pretty unlikely - there's a pretty strong anti-EU current in the opposition that would immediately jump on the "one isolated case" being used as an excuse to cull their civil liberties so gun control is a pretty iffy political move.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Guy was probably Orbán's mother's brother's niece's sixth cousin-in-law.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The dichotomy of east/west (and central for that matter) was always more about trying to symbolically dislodge yourself from Russia.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Give me the most eastern bread you have

No, that’s too eastern
Aren't those technically dumplings?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's also the fact that the previous government they voted for (which explicitly stood against Fico and his brand of "social democracy") turned out to be bugfuck insane so they went back to the devil they knew.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

I clicked through a stream of the game, and it's a worse Kingdom Come.
Quite an achievement considering that game's take on history. But hey, I guess everything is bigger in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Szarrukin posted:

I love how Czech word for loudspeaker is the same as Polish word for breeder. (reproduktor)
Czech and Polish are chock-full of false friends; trying to speak one while coming from the other is like walking through a minefield. Hell, probably the most well-known example of this is that the innocuous Polish word for "to search" sounds exactly like Czech "to gently caress".