Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shame he wasn't greeted with a brick to the face, it would have made my day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mokotow posted:

Alstom confirmed the outage was their fault, apparently due to a date formatting error. Sounds iffy.

Date and separator issues are absolutely a thing, they must have pushed a code update without doing automated tests on international options (ISO 8601 forever)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

https://ridl.io/en/will-russia-cancel-its-next-elections/

> This year, up to half of regional capitals that face elections in September have planned to switch to a completely majoritarian system.

i love how local russian electoral politics are a weirdly relevant thing even though they have no reason to be. the machinations to show that the party in power deserves its station short of just saying "gently caress you, we win" are bizarre

Didn't they also made it mandatory for voting to be online/digital? Meaning that they can game the results however they like?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mokotow posted:

I’m gonna go ahead and assume QQs dead drunk so any Hungarian insight we might have will have to wair for their hungover

https://www.euronews.com/2022/04/03/hungary-election-live-voting-closes-as-viktor-orban-seeks-fifth-term-in-office

It looks like another Orban win if exit polls are correct

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Right now I'm checking out how much property costs in Slovenia...
Sadly too much, if you don't mind rural nothingness there are plenty of options in the centre-south of Italy.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

I figured this would be a better place to ask this than the Ukrainian War thread.

I was watching a France24 clip of a discussion panel on allowing Ukraine into the EU. One of the panelist mentioned that there are “some people” in the EU who feel that Ukraine is “too large and too foreign” to be allowed into the EU and that they should be treated more like Turkey since these people believe that Ukrainians aren’t really European. The panelist also implied that Macron may be one of these people.

Is this actually a common belief or opinion? Aside from the race science aspect of it, it sounds more like these people are more concerned about the money that would be required, especially after the war, to rebuild, repair, and upgrade Ukraine’s infrastructure.

The biggest fear i've heard is getting another member for Visegrad to mess around with the EU proceedings, plus pissing off Russia. Ukraine is as "foreign" as every former Yugoslavian euro member so i don't think that's going to stick.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nenonen posted:

Surreal brutalist architecture

I always had a weird feeling about brutalist architecture since i have a few buildings that follows those styles in my town, which are so painfully ugly the world would be a better place without but they are old enough to be granted historical site protection(and will be maintained as is forever).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
We have a brutalist church too

Which if it didn't had a cross on the top could have been mistaken for anything but.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/ltvzinas/status/1520812794483929088

Our NIMBYs are mobilising against an LNG terminal.

Deport them to Russia!

My town protested against a LNG terminal too https://www.gem.wiki/Zaule_LNG_Terminal

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, here that would be recipe for some bureaucratic nightmare where you have to prove you’re poor enough to deserve support.

Welcome to Italy and ISEE

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I know this isn't exactly a chat thread but what kind of spicy foods do y'all have and how can the West use things like Mexican jalapenos to our strategic advantage?

Maybe it's my nose that's hosed up but i get worse reactions from Kren/Aivar than most of the "Mexican" sauces i get in my supermarket (there are still a handful of more powerful ones which are far stronger, and I know to avoid them).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dwesa posted:

Horseradish is traditionally used a condiment. Otherwise I think most of the spicy meals are originally from Hungary, paprika HQ of Europe, like sausages, goulash and so on.

I never tasted any kind of goulash or spiced sausages that matched 'Nduja or anything from Calabria so i will have to call objection to the paprika HQ of Europe statement :)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Goulash soup as designed is rather spicy. In former USSR it got butchered into this very mildly tasting meat dish with gravy somehow though.

Never tasted the gravy variant you mention(which seems dire by your description), only the spicy soup with various grades of spiciness ranging from mild to hellish but still tame compared to 'Nduja or hell even sausages with fennel seeds(which might again be an issue on my end).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mokotow posted:

Gas prices in Poland went over the 1.74 EUR - 8 PLN psychological barrier and spontaneous protests here and there are taking place at the state-run gas stations. Diesel is funny - it was 11 eurocents over the gas price, within a week it went to 11 eurocents under. Still not as bad as Germany where I saw 2.20 EUR two weeks ago, but yeah, Poles are not going to accept it staying over 1.74 EUR.

Petrol and diesel have the same prices right now in Italy, 1,99€, which funnily enough are lower than the prices from Slovenia (it's usually the opposite). The price is pretty much the same since the start of the conflict.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

alex314 posted:

I wanted to get an EV since vast majority of my trips are 120km max. But then there are those ~20 trips per year that are longer than that which would either require expensive EV with at least 400km real life range, being forced to rely on sparse Polish recharge station grid or just renting an ICE car.. Ended up getting a hybrid, since back then I couldn't justify shelling 30% extra for a plug-in hybrid. Also WFH is amazing, having to pay 8PLN/L hurts way less if you fill the tank twice a month.

Several brands offer EVs with a secondary car rental sub, where you can grab a temp petrol car for extra long journeys(it's decent for ~30 trips yearly, if you use it more it starts getting costly enough to warrant a dedicated petrol car). Fiat does that for the 500e in some euro markets, where you get three years of spot car rental from leasys.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

That diagram is in dire need of work. They have blanked out UK data but kept Turkey and also their "under average" spans from Greece(almost in the under 25%) to Italy(three points below the average).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Italy removed mandatory service the year i was up and I see a clear difference in attitude/behavior from kids like me (that didn't had to do a year of bullshit) compared to people that did. Lot of kids in modern western societies won't leave home unless they have a gun pointed to their heads so being forced to stay away and meet different people has a real effect. Not saying reintroducing it will automatically do good but, given the option of civil service, there is a remote chance that it might do some. Civil service used to be a common seasonal option for unemployed youngsters but nowadays it's pretty much dead here.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 6, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I think the last years of italian conscription paid like barebone internships BUT it also paid pension taxes(something that most low end jobs for youngsters did not). Nothing to write home about but still more than flipping burgers at McDonalds.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Somaen posted:

Slovenia legalized gay marriage which is rad

Now we need the Balkans not to blow up in a civil war

Wake me up when Serbia or Herzegovina does, Slovenia is not entrenched in eastern think as the rest of the Balkans and this sounds almost as a cheap boon to the idpol liberals in Bruxelles for clout purposes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Doctor Malaver posted:

Herzegovina is a geographical region of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Oh I know, It's just that out of the few people I met from BiH, the ones from Herzegovina were the more obtuse and negative on LGBT issues. I wasn't going for any political statement.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 12, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Mushrooms are pretty gross too. Which is a problem because they loving love sticking them everywhere here.

Ban this sick filth.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

That sound proper vile, there is also a shitton of stuff in that recipe that will cover up the Porcini taste over mundane stuff like the mustard or the balsamic vinegar.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Mushroom Exclusionary Eastern Europeans itt.

Good mushroom:

1. Oyster Mushroom sliced in wedges and fried a'la wiener schnitzel
2. Chanterelle in runny scrambled eggs
3. Field Mushroom wedges sautéed and tossed with lemon juice

Absolute masterclass
1. Red Pine Mushroom sautéed in butter with salt and pepper
2. Parasol Mushroom fried whole a'la wiener schnitzel (good luck not dying, since it looks abut the same like the deadliest mushroom of them all)

Give me none of any of the following (a.k.a. i reject my eastern european heritage):

- marinated slimy poo poo mushroom
- mushroom soup of any kind
- pedestrian poo poo like the dreaded common mushroom in any form

haven't tried truffles, don't care.

You forgot fresh porcini sliced over bruschettas, which are a killer aperitif. The fried parasol is honestly mundane and subpar(if it’s not fresh it’s like eating cardboard), esp given the risk of grabbing a lepiota muscata if you don’t know the difference.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I think I only ate them fresh since you have to pick it yourself. Lmao if you trust a roadside vendor with your liver and/or life.

I meant fetching one that was a bit stale, not out of a shop (most vendors here don't touch them due to the risk of grabbing a killer one)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 1, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Serbia is likely going to learn very fast that doing that poo poo without nukes stockpiles is a good way to have your capital and every urban centre turned into a crater.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

a podcast for cats posted:

I can take or leave mushrooms, I don't particularly care for them. I could go for a good leisurely mushroom or berry picking romp through the woods tho, ticks be damned.

I'm honestly somewhere between genuinely worried and morbidly curious as to what the start of the heating season and rising bills will mean for the Baltics. Well, Europe in general, but Baltics in particular. It probably won't be good at all.

I would guess fuel/gas rationing and in extreme cases mandatory power cutoffs at certain times. Also useless individual responsibility stuff like demanding lowered maximum temps in houses with no checks whatsoever.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Good news! Jobbik is dead. They lost the majority of their supporters when they stopped being openly racist, and the other half when they teamed up with the other opposition parties.

Bad news is, their supporters moved to Mi Hazánk (Our Fatherland) who are openly racist, anti-vaxxer, pro-Russia. They tried to start a referendum to leave the EU, they want to reintroduce capital punishment, open labor camps for criminals (one of their plans was to send them to Siberia...), criminalize LGBTQ+ so all the "good stuff".

These fuckers got 5,88% of the votes this election, which got them 6 seats in the parliament.

Well at least they got 5,88% compared to our 17,4% for Lega (which pretty much has the same ideas).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Honorary Eastern European i.e. Finnish media has been having a field day regarding a proposal by the European Commission to require that major EU funded railway corridors be built in standard gauge.

Nevermind it's obviously not about Finland at all.

Seems a reasonable ask, surprisingly enough for the latest series of regulations. I hope it doesn't become the usual intermodal nothing burger like their previous attempts in western eu.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'm envisioning the eu mentats thinking that keeping the Russian gauge is equivalent of being kept into the Russian sphere of influence, leading to Finland having to rip the tracks out on the threat of no more development funds. It's likely going to be a situation where all the tracks are on eu gauge beside a few interconnections on the Russian border.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Apart from track gauge, aren’t there like 5 different electrification standards to unify or else you’d have to use trains which are compatible with all of them?

Your average Hitachi(AnsaldoBreda :italy:) or Siemens train can handle various voltages easily, which is why it can run cross country. It's a solved problem.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just as an add-on

https://youtu.be/Fk9KpZZ4hcQ?t=375

As you can see switching from one standard to the other is a selector switch, which handles power and signaling types.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I am currently on an at the time expensive plan (to avoid dynamic pricing loving us with daytime aircon expenses) that locked the pricing for five years and it's currently equivalent as the government fixed prices. Once the price lock goes away i'm going to be dragged thru coals with a devastating price hike.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Oh it's even funnier here, historically all the utilities were local government owned, buying core power and gas centrally, which have been all privatized but with a government imposed maximum prices. Utilities owners cried for years about being treated unfairly and the government finally decided to kill the central price fix a few years back and then flip flopped about for i think a solid five years(it's still in flux), so you could go central fixed prices(which could disappear whenever edit: on 2024-01-10), you could go market prices with whatever price the utilities will throw at you and market prices with long term price fixing(and gently caress you in the rear end penalties if you jump ship before the end of terms). The third option vanished on most utilities in march 2022, nobody knows why.....

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 19, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Window tape is still a thing, but here up north it's only regularly used on windows that are so old they don't have hinges.

The dual sided adhesive sponge variant is also the sole way to restore old cassettes, which leads to "that guy is stocking meters of sponge cause he has a lovely castle or just an audiophile?" moments when going to the hardware store

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I saw this on Euronews

https://youtu.be/t4YtNuyiB_U

Is it empty saber rattling or is there a serious threat of another flare up of sectarian violence?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Huh, apparently there’s a homegrown Humvee-style vehicle development pretty far along the development track in Latvia.

https://twitter.com/pabriks/status/1566798772239306752

This humvee clone looks like a over glorified dakar buggy with pretty much zero armor on sides and very little on the bottom(no V hull for IED/mines protection is no bueno in 2022). Even more armored cars fielded in ukraine are getting swatted like flies daily so i'm not seeing a big advantage over conventional armored recon. I would guess it will fare as good as a not uparmored lince/Rhys.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Side doors and poo poo is all supposed to be modular, with the displayed model being a prototype of the most lightweight configuration, probably like that due to all the swamps we have. No idea about the bottom, but it’s supposedly designed going off a list of checkboxes gradually sent in by our military, so I struggle to imagine this being an omission by accident.

Having a lightweight modular vehicle usually ends up in the armor package being an option rarely purchased due to prices, which is a worry for a country without endless defense budgets. I think our army Iveco LMV armor packs cover less than 15% of the fleet(the burned out husks of the Russian army Rhys licensed variant in Ukraine were always without).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think that doesn’t sound too crazy for us. The context here would be that we’re buying 200+ Patria 6x6 vehicles already - that fits 2000 passengers, using baby math, and our army proper is 1 mechanised infantry brigade. Since 6x6 has a fuel tank for roughly 1.2 Latvias across, and can go 100 kmph on highway, the users for this buggy, if it passes testing and all the parts involved in making it a product they can legally sell to NATO armed force, would basically be non-frontline national guardsmen?

Simultaneously, it could trivially be a grift scheme, though. Our current defence minister is hardly the most inspiring career official.

One thing that is worrisome of this kind of vehicles, where the core units is a over glorified dune buggy with poo poo strapped on, is that its chassis is sometimes far from sturdy. One Iveco LMV got into a crash with a Smart Fortwo(hitting the security cell of the Smart) where the smart got some side panels damage and the lmv got totaled.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:staredog: What the hell?

Private doing driving lessons. During the session the steering rack hosed itself and made the driver lose control of the vehicle, it then side swept the smart making it flip. Private and trainer ended up being medevac'd while the smart driver didn't have much of a scratch.

https://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/trieste/cronaca/2014/04/15/news/blindato-dell-esercito-si-ribalta-centra-una-smart-che-resta-in-piedi-1.9055385

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

"Crashing into a Smart car" is probably not one of the top threats for the vehicle so they're not designed for that

I would say a vehicle that is supposed to deal with a war shouldn't bend its chassis that easily.