Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I don't normally post here because I refuse to accept the facts on the ground and prefer to think of Poland as a Baltic state (which, being in Gdynia it definitely looks like one). One of my favourite authors, Joźef Korzeniowski, put it quite clearly that anyone who views Polish history through the lens of Eastern Europe is foolish and anyone who sees its future as a Slavic country is a traitor.

That said, I stumble in here to ask htf is Serbia a candidate to join the EU? Unless I'm being brainwashed by the mainstream media picking up sensational but isolated cases, there are pro-Wagner murals in Belgrade that the police won't let the city paint over.

Which actually makes me wonder, the EU isn't a military or defence pact. And you can be completely neutral. You might have to impose sanctions if the supranational body as a whole orders them. But Ireland wouldn't have to send troops to defend Greece in the unlikely event it were attacked by Egypt. Could you be actively antagonistic, though? It would pretty much mean a veto on you joining. But what do the rules say? If you're a candidate country, and they give you the hypothetical question 'What would you do if your neighbour were to be invaded by X?' could you answer 'Oh we'd probably start selling bombs to X. And maybe if our neighbour is completely taken over, it'd be one less poor EU country and we'd get a larger share of the transfer money. So maybe we'd even donate bombs and munitions to the invader.' If you meet all other criteria would you advance in the process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm not an international military expert or anything, but who could challenge a european defensive alliance? Russia probably couldn't take Poland without nukes, much less France and Germany. (and france has nukes)

this is assuming it wouldn't fall apart (I think the response to ukraine shows that it would hold together at least long enough to make an agressor state think twice) or through some sort of irregular warfare to disrupt politics in the baltics or something like that. But, at least from TYOOL 2023 I can't imagine russian tanks pushing into berlin.

I mean, check in again in a few years obviously... who knows what will happen to the EU

re: nuclear weapons. I am no military scientist (although I am sometimes a scientist working in a military institution lol). But I don't see why they're off the table. Russia would have to convince other nuclear armed states, who probably want very much to believe them given the alternative plausibly ending all human life on the planet, that the Russian military wiping Poland off the map and using tactical nukes to take Germany would be where it stops... at least for the mid-term. Maybe not that Russian aggression would stop. But that any future warfare would be conventional and it's not time to shut the lights off on H. sapiens just yet.

About France. What we have going for us is that no major party in France has imperialistic ambitions. Not even the ultraright who defend French's colonial history in Africa. Russia has no chance of a pact to split Europe with France. Marie Le Pen doesn't dream of the Fleur-de-lis on the flag of the French Protectorate of Austria. Nobody does. The bigger risk is simply a Russophile government that would permit it to happen, with the plurality convinced that the Russians are giving Europe its just desserts but they'll be fine. Or else, Russia would have to convince a non-pro-Moscow France they won't invade. But even then, they might try to take France if it were seen that the French would rather live as a Russian colony than die to a man, woman, and child, even if they take out most Russians with them. None of these scenarios really depend on what France would actually do. Just what Russia thinks France would do with its own arsenal.

So I am thankful for the US being in NATO. And am not pleased, to say the least, when politicians over there show they're not 100% behind their current commitments. It's not just Trump. Bolton wasn't keen on the idea that the US would risk a world war to protect the Baltics. And I won't name him because I am not completely sure I have the full story, but I think a Republican contender in the news quite a lot suggested it might make sense to explore the pros and cons of ditching NATO to ally with Russia in a pact against China.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

alex314 posted:

Rest of EU and NATO would just sit idly while Poland is pummeled into submission with tactical or strategic nuclear strikes?

If we're talking about the EU, what exactly could they do? Not just Poland either. Germany too. I could be massively mistaken but I don't think many scholars, pundits, or armchair generals suppose Russia would take Poland without at least going on to the Main. For topographical reasons if nothing else.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 14, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

One of the Moscow stooges in the EU parliament gave a speech (not in a session but still) on how Europe had forgotten the European tradition of appeasement. They weren't making a joke or a snide attack. They said that the liberal parties in Europe have forgotten the art of appeasement, which has a long track record of success, and is in fact the only way to reliably avoid total war.

I am quite sure that this was a mistranslation. In their language it probably meant something like sitting being willing to make certain concessions. But it's not out of the question that they did literally try to convince people that we should just give Russia what they want.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Depends. If your phone broke by being dropped into water, we're an eastern european state. If it survived because it's neither obsolete nor a lemon shipped in from returns in France, that suggests we're central european. If it ran like nothing happened because we can afford real phones, north-central european.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 17, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Doctor Malaver posted:

EU really doesn't want another war and/or a Russia/China foothold in Europe. To that end, the EU is ready to turn a blind eye to many of Serbia's faults.

The latter doesn't make too much sense to me. It's already is a Russian foothold in Europe. This would just make it another Russian foothold in the EU. Plausibly eventually another Chinese one. Is the idea that it will turn westwards after joining? After half the people who have any kind of more mainstream European mindset leave? Transfer payments only do so much and as we have seen that's little. All the bodies of the EU most know this. And besides, we could just give Serbia money without letting them join. We probably actually should do this. So when and if they do join they won't hate us right out of the box.

I'm also confused about the former. Is the idea that it won't invade Kosovo because it's not part of the EU? I find it hard to believe that we care about Kosovo so much.

I could see it being a cynical economic move. People complained that the numbers and requirements for Bulgaria and Romania were fudged, either to bring in more cheap labour or provide an easier market for goods from the big players. No idea to what extent that is a ridiculous claim that it happened but it wouldn't be ridiculous to suggest that it could. What does the Republic of Serbia offer in this way?

armpit_enjoyer posted:

So you're proposing that the port of Gdynia exists in a quantum superposition where it's simultaneously eastern, central, and northern european? And it remains so until i drop a phone in the sea?

Yes.

Although, also no. To find out we have to drive a motorcycle up the Sudetes and see if it can clear the cloud line.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Maybe they mean it sits on the Bay of Gdańsk and that's not freshwater but not really the open sea either

But that would make nearly never port city a city with no sea access

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nobody loves the beach in Gdynia. That's why you go to Hel.

Neither the Baltic Sea nor the coastline is the *central* part of Polish cultural geography. It's even not a huge coastline (although it's only short in comparison because it's mostly smooth). It's no more densely populated than some other parts of the country. And the majority of our economy has nothing to do with it. But it's a/the *key* part of our cultural geography. For many, many reasons. Being the determining factor in half of the important historical events is just one of them.

It's the fatherland's wife (maybe husband in more open-minded times). We literally had wedding ceremonies. And that was after most of it had been lost and some of it hadn't been ours since there was a real Polish state. Like a man who sees his lover after she returns from a year abroad and the first thought is to put a ring on it. In some cases, more like you meet your ex's sister and propose right away because she reminds you of her.

Through the Hanseatic cities, through these ceremonies, to kids being sent up north during school breaks (one of the only nice things the puppet communists did aside from subsidizing milk bars?), through today. My baby sister complains that all the Polish boys in her neighbourhood in Canada show off the sand and water from the Bałtyk like it's anything but sand and water, and insist on going there for it even if they're visiting grandparents in Katowice. And swimming in it when it's 8 degrees.

So I am not seriously saying Poland is politically one of the Baltic States. But romantically it is a Baltic state.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 18, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Still waiting for that country's government to fully embrace the cognitive dissonance.

First, by seriously suggesting that modern facism per se isn't that bad and is often misunderstood due to previous iterations. How the Americans shouting that Jews will not replace them and calling for a Red Caeser are actually the good ones. And begin teaching it in schools.

Next, by adding a swastika to the flag saying it's just an ancient symbol guys.

Finally, outright erecting statues to Adolf with (EVERYTHING UNTIL SUMMER 1941) on them.

All while continuing to claim they're fighting Nazis in Ukraine.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mokotow posted:

While the court case can languish for a year or two, being under prosecution is apparently grounds enough to be excluded from the Sejm proceedings for the duration.

I was going to say it seems wild, but not unexpected, that doing this doesn't automatically exclude you from the Sejm. And was wondering whether the difficulty in punishing a sitting member is a holdover from Communism or a reaction to it.

But it's not just Poland. In Australia this old bitch kept being racist to another member. Telling him stuff like to 'go back to your country' and such. First she backtracked and claimed it had nothing to do with his skin colour but that if he keeps pointing out flaws he must not believe Australia is great enough already and therefore he can't feel from there at heart. Then she switched to doubling down, defending herself that in her day they used to say worse things about 'these kinds of people' and that millions of Australians feel the same way but are afraid to say anything. Last I heard they could only censure her and temporarily withhold her having an active microphone for a few sessions each time she did it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Of loving course this dude is the one who claims Russia is protecting Russian-speakers and the Jewish from Nazi Ukraine.

Of loving course. And his fans will no doubt relish the hypocrisy.

My best friend can't wrap his head around why anybody looks up to Russia. His family is from China and he half understands that for them 'They're the same people and need to be one country even if it's by force' makes sense back home. But why would Americans or Germans do it? He points out all these statistics that he looks up comparing Russia with the US. Russia has a weaker army. Weaker economy and no massive private enterprises on the same scale. Lower life expectancy. State-controlled religion (not even a a religion-controlled state). And far fewer freedoms by any metric. Yet you have people saying it's this unstoppable juggernaut we must submit to, soon to surpass us due to the New Silk Road (this is an actual claim I've heard many times), that it's the delinquents dying and that's actually a good thing, that they're the religious land the founding fathers actually envisioned (another claim I've heard), and that it's more free actually (because you can throw paint at gay people I guess?)

I keep trying to tell him it's emotions, man. Same emotions they claim we're blinded by.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yeah. That's something not just television but even journalists get wrong with phrases like 'The woman who was assaulted decided not to press charges.' You don't make that decision. You can talk to the cops and see if they can leave things alone. You can claim you don't remember anything. But you don't decide to bring charges. That's a prosecutor or other appointed/elected functionary. You can't even veto it if they decide to do so. That's partly why you can get the situation where the victim gives testimony defending the person on trial.

You actually gave me some things to think about!

--

The leopard situation might apply to e.g. Slovakia. Or even to radical pockets of Germany.

With the USA it's, to me, more like Russia is an overlarge wolf going absolutely nuts on other forest animals from tiny bunnies to adult moose. The US is a full-grown grizzly. But parts of it think it's a tiny black bear cub (because woke and women in the military and Obama and the wealth tax etc. etc.) So parts of it think we need a deal with Russia to team up against the hunter China, even if that means letting animals the bears have promised to stand with be wolf food.

Then, other times, those same parts of the bear sees itself as a mighty polar bear. And then it only makes sense to ally with the wolf, who it sees as a GoT direwolf thing.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 13, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

There's actually this 'switch' hypothesis, it's hopefully not taken seriously by anyone who counts, but it's there and there are at least a couple of books written on the topic. The claim is that since the Cold War the US and Russia have switched in similar ways to the old Republican and Democratic parties did on many issues.

Russia has become Reagan's America. The army takes priority. People are encouraged to become rich rather than shamed for trying. The economy takes precedence over hippie environmental nonsense. People respect authority. Children are taught to be patriotic. The flag is respected. As are elders. Women and men keep traditional roles. The church is still part of daily life. The world respects the country and its leader.

The USA on the other hand has become Andropov's USSR. The army is weak. Job-creators are taxed so much they don't even bother. Economic growth is hindered by the global warming conspiracy. People spit on authority and called Trump an idiot with no shame. Children are taught critical race theory. Youth burn the US flag and fondle the Rainbow one. They also make TikTok videos being rude to retired folks. 'Women' and 'men' as concepts are both on the way out when someone born with a uterus can call themselves 'Mr. Paul Smith'. Religious persons such as Hobby Lobby and other corporations are forced to provide birth control. The world laughs at the country and its leader.

Of course you're starting with the wrong pieces on the board and moving them around improperly but that's the switch.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 14, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

burnishedfume posted:

If you're not trying to post this as an endorsement of these views rather just explain them, you can do that without dropping some transphobia.

It is a transphobic view. I'm not sure it's transphobic to replicate here. Now I'm questioning myself.

But while posting what a KKK member might call a black person is itself a form of racism, saying that the far-right tells immigrants from MENA countries 'Arabs go home!' isn't itself xenophobia (the posting that is). I thought what I wrote was more similar to the later.

Leaving it up for now if mods want to see it. Might delete later.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 14, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

OddObserver posted:

LOL at idea that anyone cared about environment in the USSR or that it wasn't socially conservative with strict gender roles. Or that modern Russians go to the church in any noticeable amount.

Like I said, wrong pieces and moving them around at your convenience.

My favourite part of this has to do with miniskirts. Many in the US were against them because they represented atheist communism. Many in the USSR were against them because they represented decadent capitalism.

Well, politicians in these countries. Not sure how the average American or Soviet comrade felt.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Do we have any other example of a Western (you know what I mean, the term here including Australia and Japan) government admitting the state media is purposely biased in their favour but it's fine because most independent journalists criticize them so there needs to be balance? Or is Poland the first, one for the shameful records book? e: They don't even defend the state media being pro-government, they're admitting it's pro-their party.

And re: state media? I'm reading on Notes From Poland that the tribunal overseeing this matter has ruled for an injunction preventing the new government from making changes to the editorial boards or overall direction of several. But that legal scholars are calling bs.

Lets hope the EU can tell the difference between an illegitamate ruling by a puppet court and actually ignoring rule of law. Otherwise we might not see any more of that money.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 16, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sejm giving out 'Christmas dinner' to the needy is okay but what would actually be super cool would be doing it on actual Christmas Eve.

Forgoing your own family dinner and postponing your own present opening session to volunteer would be commendable even if it's for publicity. I mean, if one came out and explicitly said 'I'm actually doing this mostly for PR', I'd likely say right on, still doing good, might even actually be a shortfall of volunteers on the day of so it still helps.

But it's on Dec 22.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Tusk is the kind of guy who is less cool the more he tries to show of himself, just like Trudeau.

People really want to like them, and they're determined to stop that from happening.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 19, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Did Orlen say they won't display any government messages at all or just those of the coalition partners as political parties?

They could have said they were trying to be apolitical but they said it was because the new government is liberal; and unpatriotic iirc. Lol. Neoliberal sure. Not sure about removing that Neo though.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

In Poland recently a man shot two police officers using a black powder gun (presumably a revolver). These are the only kind of traditional firearm you can walk into a store and buy.

They're not often used in crimes and still less often in murders. For obvious reasons. (And for those same reasons they're not the best tool to depend yourself with.)

I think some are calling for them to be restricted or even banned now that this has happened, but no idea how many and of they're politicians or public safety experts or just people who dislike guns to start with.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

When I was in Czechia as a kid twenty years ago the tour guide said the best Czech beer wasn't a pilsner at all but a brown ale microbrewed and served in a huge hall that sat hundreds of people at tables and long, long counters. Well, I was a literal child and it was several times more expensive than other Prague bar (so maybe the guide got a kickback?) but it was definitely delicious and if you want what I am referring to lemme know so I can recommend it to people when they go for conferences at CPU.

(It may have been on the outskirts or slightly outside the city.)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'd like to hear this motive. Because all the main news sources say it's still a mystery, as of the last few hours.

Don't say their name. But I don't think it's wrong to give why they did it. I should hope nobody here is going to be inspired by learning it was X or Y reason. And it's good to know why people are murdering each other.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

So. There was this Czech dude who was saying his country shouldn't allow Poles to enter without a visa. For the usual suspects when it came to reasons: the Polish are drunkards, hooligans, arrogant but uncultured jerks, and Russia supporters (this is a head-scratching claim I've heard from Lithuanians as well). But he also mentioned: that the food is terrible and he didn't want Czech cuisine to be influenced by this.

Now I am kinda sure that the Czech Republic does not have the autonomy to set visa requirements for any other country in the bloc. I am much more sure he way way off on the food thing.

wtf was he even talking about? That we up north sometimes (rarely) eat fish or waterfowl? That our schnitzel comes with some sauerkraut? Just don't eat it. It's often served on a separate plate anyways.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

True, true forgot about '68

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mokotow posted:

Lithuania is a bit more of a headscratcher, but I guess it’s from Poland trying to capitalize on the post-WWI chaos and invading half of Lithuania it considered Polish, and that would put us in league with Russia as Lithuania’s enemies?

Speaking to some Lithuanian folks is wild because their view of history can be diametrically different than what we're taught.

So about that Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, a golden age huh? 'Oh do you mean the humiliating occupation of Lithuania by Poland forced on us by the use of Polonised Lithuanian elites to sell out their own people and culture leading to our nadir lower even than the occupation by the Soviets?'

Okay but Jogaila, right? 'Ah but he was actually the younger son and had no right to the throne that's why he married a little Slavic girl, to steal what was rightfully his actually older brother's. The textbooks cover this up.'

I'm not sure how prevalent it is but I've encountered it from maybe 1/5 of the Lithuanians I've met in Poland. Even very educated ones.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Speaking of being pointlessly cheap, is it just my post-industrial city where half the places to eat turn their fridges off anytime other than July?

Back when my neuroses were less controlled I'd ask why they do that if it was the owner working and they'd either say I should look into the price of electricity these days (which I won't so fair) or that Polish people prefer their soda/iced tea/juice/beer etc. warm (which I doubt).

I have at least two friends that refuse to eat where they do this. Their patronage alone is probably what the cost to run the fridge for a month would cost.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's the only district of Warsaw that I like at all. Unless Kabaty is part of the city proper.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Honestly little surprises me about the neo-Soviet Union/Imperial Russia anymore. I've been told I'm biased and I am but I also haven't been wrong yet. I'll grant individuals in that country doing good. Even its institutions occasionally; but, like Donald Trump himself, I'll suspect some angle that wasn't making the world a better place for everyone or even their own people.

e: Also lol. Grade 11? Shouldn't history be more nuanced by that point? As my own eleventh grade history teacher would say when people complained there were no clear answers in the textbook for the upcoming exam, if there were that'd be a [word that's hard to translate but basically means one-off facts like dates of events] class not a history class. Even after 911 US textbooks didn't just state 'September 11th happened because those people over there hate freedom'.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 28, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mr. Apollo posted:

:eng101:

Factoid - a brief or trivial item of news or information

Thanks and kinda!

The word in English has hist- in it and doesn't have the connotation of being unreliable or only fact-like but not a fact. Where historiography would be the more meta approach to how the discipline of history is conducted or history determined, this is a step lower from history like the building block of history. e.g. 'There are burial mounds containing broken weapons and shattered glass vessels in X, Y, and Z places dating from the La Tčne culture' would be hist-... , whereas 'The La Téne culture had burial customs with special attention to the warrior class at least some of whom were buried in barrows alongside their possessions which were purposely broken possibly to deter graverobbers' would be history.

e: I just made this up about La Téne culture btw, although it probably applies to some pre-historic European culture.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 30, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The big debate in English the past few years was about a word that escapes me right now but officially meant something like sparkling beautifully in the sunlight and was used that way in poetry and literature until a decade or so ago when people used it to mean generally sinister as the word itself sounds/looks somewhat unpleasant.

It wasn't a slow evolution or even a 'I could care less' mix-up.

The new use was added to a bunch of dictionaries after much heated argument.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 31, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Der Spiegel English has a story about how Austria is considering axing a work program where anyone willing to work can go through an assisted job search and if they don't find anything gets guaranteed employment provided through the agency at I believe minimum 25 hours a week minimum wage. Some are speculating that it's to benefit private unemployment services who take money from the state to do things like send out of work secretaries to endless 'computing basics' training or laid-off textile workers to management courses they provide. But I think the main suspect suggested is simply ideology: the government shouldn't provide jobs, and as many services as possible (even providing services to the unemployed from state monies) should be privatized.

500+ (now 800+) in Poland is flawed and was brought in to make parents vote against their overall best interest. But that shouldn't dissuade us from helping others in future.

Also, this is only one of several reasons why I think Austria should be included when we talk about Eastern Europe.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

So, early elections, what would the results of them mean:

Of course you could end up with a PiS majority this time if a number of things fell into place.

But say it's another coalition win. Are they anywhere other than step one? This time having expended a lot of good will to try (and fail) to push through reforms?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I didn't really mean to focus on the likely outcome of the votes. More like, say the coalition is returned with the same or only slightly higher number of seats. They make a new budget. Unless they make concessions/appeasements (which they could also do right now) why won't the next budget be sent to tribunal?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Out of ten what is the chance that one or both are innocent (of these charges, not overall)?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The world press is finally labeling this a 'political meltdown in Poland'.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

When I was doing full-time volunteer work to regain the licence to practice I had given up, I was receiving welfare in Poland: 388 zł for housing and 200 zł for groceries.

That's far less than it costs to rent a small room or eat cheap but balanced meals. I only made it with the help of people who know who they are (and some who don't). But social assistance is tight everywhere, even in 'rich' countries like the UK and even Canada. This isn't about that.

What is getting to me is that the last month I was receiving welfare, I received only the housing benefit. They told me that they didn't have enough to pay out any food benefits this month. Not that the payments would be late. Just that they weren't going out at all. That this happens sometimes towards the end of the year and when the budget runs low.

I don't care if this also happens in places like the US. It shouldn't happen here. Under any government. 200 zł per recipient is nothing from a budgetary perspective but is the difference between people not having to rely on family/friends/acquaintances/charities/food banks/begging on the street for every meal as opposed to just some of them.

This needs more attention. In a properly run government this would cause a crisis the same way as the budget for the military, the police, ambulances, politicians' own salaries, border security, and paying off national debt would cause when a payment can't be made.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nah. The Miejski Ośrodek Pomocy Społecznej. But maybe they're different agencies in different voivodes?

I certainly don't get the impression of corruption and I don't get the impression of mismanagement. But if it is the case that it all comes out of one budget, and therefore buying a few more new chairs and taking on a few additional workers or paying some unexpected bills may dip into what is needed to make payments, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mokotow posted:

However, these are delays and the money is not lost, so ultimately you can start a legal process to get paid. I am surprised they didn’t tell you this though.

Thank you. But for me the money is lost if I have to open a legal action. That's just not happening. But I do want to know what I can do to help prevent this from bowling over others.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Largest minority in the country. And for a long time now.

The age of Polish vikings: 900-1350, and now 2003-present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I may have already posted about this, but I'm acquainted with one of the actors who played a miner in the X-Men movie which shows Eric Magnus's childhood in Poland. Everyone was curious as to why they speak in Russian accents. Were the other actors Russian?

Apparently not. They were pretty much all Polish, Polish-American, or Polish-Canadian. It's just that when they showed up and started speaking the unit director or what have you said it doesn't sound sinisterly eastern European enough and to speak Polish with a Hollywood-style Russian accent.

It's terrible. Not because it's racist. Because I think our language does sound sinister when you apply the proper spin or say the proper words.