Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rob Filter posted:

speculation ahoy: (big ep 2 spoilers) In episode one I was convinced the work the severed workers were performing on the computers was pure make work, and existed only as an experimental control so the bosses could see if its possible to coerce their experiment subjects into doing completely pointless and meaningless work - because if you can convince people to literally drag numbers into boxes, you can convince them to do ANY work. However, episode two heavily implies that the work they are doing might actually serve a real purpose, and be memmetically dangerous, or supernatural. The numbers were scary. Why were the numbers scary? The explicit references to hell, descent, ascent, falls, leaves the supernatural or just soft sci fi stuff like psychics on the table.

yeah it's starting to feel like there's actual SCP poo poo happening here and it's not just the base Philip K Dick type premise

i looked at variety's glowing review of the first season and they say the back half is much better than the first three, which is encouraging because I really liked these two so far.

eke out fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the first workplace reform i would suggest would be ending the mystical-psychological torture sessions, i think it'd greatly improve morale

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ben stiller is absolutely killing it directing these, too -- i know he's now got a surprisingly long resume behind the camera but this feels like a whole nother level

they're doing a really good job letting people be funny, the wild oscillation in tone makes it a lot more interesting than something like Devs that always felt sooooo serious

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

never would've thought the most normal thing in this show would be an actually-very-sweet christopher walken/john turturro romance

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

a firm and confident "No?"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my memory of Devs is mostly people standing around staring out windows or cool shots of people walking outside while moody Ex Machina style music played

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

what's up with the goats though? good lord

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

She's always solo, I wonder if maybe her weirdness is that she has no co-workers and never really learned what normal human interaction is like

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

This was mentioned earlier in the thread but the world feels small, e.g. his family and their weird friends all seem to be from nearby. That's not to say the town can't be big enough to have things going on besides the company, but I could believe the whole Trueman show bubble thing.

The whole town is really weird, because lots of people seem to be totally unrelated to Lumen and if anything have really negative views towards the company, but it's the Town of Kier and they're reading the Kier Chronicle for news and stuff. I know even company towns might need service workers from outside, but it's just strange in a way I doubt they'll explain.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nice touch that senator was the former mayor of the small town of Wileston, i wonder how many other company towns there are named after kier's values

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol i yelled gently caress yeah when she brained that guy

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hopefully if there's a season 2 we can get MAXIMIZED RHYTHMS

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

roomtone posted:

Dylan also really grew on me this episode. They finally gave him a little bit of pathos with the overtime stuff, and suddenly his comedy was working for me better than before. 'it looks like this was designed to be a two man job' 'perfect. i have the strength of two men.'

yeah I mostly knew Zach Cherry from random comedy things (and the george lucas talk show) and he's legit doing a hell of a job with the dramatic role too

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Argue posted:

Ah poo poo, it's not just to "severed people" is it, I bet it's their own memories they're loving around with. Possibly something to do with removing/softening traumatic memories, for some reason? That's why they need them, because only their brains can recognize their own scary numbers.

I know people have been predicting this but the book they released certainly sounds like a very different direction: when the numbers on a file are completed, a rival company's industrial prototypes are destroyed in an explosion.

Though it's more of a terrifying correlation the character observes, not something she can prove or understands.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I'm still hoping for something a bit more interesting than "terrorism" but rewatching ep4 and looking at the little petey map, very much wondering about this "coil of doom" and arrow coming out of the perpetuity wing.

I also wonder whether it isn't partially a fakeout and the events are caused in some other way. Especially now that we know that Lumen could easily hide severed employee personalities in real people out in the real world, then activate the employee to take them over -- very easy to imagine them doing a bombing by having one of their agents do it, for instance, rather than it being effectively magic

e:

quote:

Is there a specific reason that people are writing Lumen instead of Lumon?

i forgot

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 26, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

njsykora posted:

Remember reviewers have seen the entire season, and most of them say the ending of this season is good while still leaving stuff unresolved for season 2 so I'm not worried about that.

yeah i looked back at this variety review:

quote:

Soon enough, though, they both get on board with the idea that maybe, just maybe, a brain implant that “severs” your consciousness in half for the sake of a corporation might not be a completely benign procedure. At this crucial point, “Severance” gains a sharper focus that drives it forward with a propulsive energy that doesn’t let up until the finale’s last shock of a cliffhanger (which is, without spoiling a thing, big and bold enough to suggest that the writers are confident that a second season will be on its way sooner rather than later).

very excited

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

god even part-time employment is much scarier than you'd think, that 'my life was 107 hours long' speech, jesus

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Severance: Filth and loving fire until she loving dies

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

feels like Outie Helly is wearing a lot of jewels and pretty much has to be at that Lumon execs party they were setting up as Mark leaves

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Khanstant posted:

What does sovig say when she comes up to them at the party, sounds like gibberish to me "the vars kaleefi, mark" thats not anything

"Watch for leakies, Mark"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the most exciting thing about the finale is that Innie Mark is going to get a chance to meet Ricken and be his literal biggest fan

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Khanstant posted:

haha holy poo poo he's going to be so goddamn sincere when he's up to do the reading of his book, i can't wait

also innie mark's mission is to find someone he can trusts and tell the whole thing to lol. i will be angry if this does not prominently feature ricken

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Where was the scene with Helly at the gala? I flicked through the episode again and couldn’t find it (presuming it happened after she kissed Mark).

Definitely yelled ‘you fuckers’ at the screen when it went to credits and I wasn’t aware of the time.

it's a single shot in the montage right before he flips the switch and the ep ends

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Just 'cause she's someone important doesn't mean she's reporting everything to the board. And we know the surveillance/security in the building is extremely lax. So if she didn't tell anyone (either because she has her own agenda or she didn't think it was necessary) and neither Cobel nor Milchick reported it, how would anyone know?

Yeah, I bet if she is some high level exec she desperately hid it from everyone as best as she could, because it'd be a sign of failure or disloyalty

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

It’s going to be pretty funny when the innies wake up and start explaining they were doing it all for Kier, and all the normal people are like “who’s that?”

they live in the town of Kier and read the Kier Chronicle for their news

his cult is like scientology on steroids if they also ran the biggest company in the world, pretty much everyone is going to know exactly who he is

e: also i think that senator was from the small town of Wileston or something like that lol, there was the implication that this isn't even the only company town

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 2, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Freaquency posted:

I feel slightly vindicated knowing that Gemma is stuck down there. I don’t know what I heard to think that initially but :shrug:

I also think that they’re leading us toward Cobel being so invested in Mark/Gemma and them recognizing each other and reintegration because the Charlotte Cobel we keep seeing on the hospital wrist band is her mother who has been severed in a similar way to Gemma. She’s hoping that she can get her mother back. Would explain her cult-like devotion to Lumon/Kier and why she was pushing the team into a position to question their severance.

I also think it's possible that Gemma wasn't severed so much as actually was braindead or in a perma-coma post-accident, and Lumon got bodies of people like that and faked deaths to be able to freely test their technology. Perhaps they actually succeeded at letting a new personality take over the body even though the old one is gone (and thus they're concerned with the lingering question of whether the old person is still really in there somehow).

It would be interesting to me, at least, if they really did figure something out that could give people a second chance at life and be used for something positive, even if the original person doesn't exist anymore. And then promptly used it to make corporate slaves, of course.

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 3, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah I bet she's temporarily on Mark's side and ends up somehow with even more power next season

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

great twitter account

https://twitter.com/MichaelChernus/status/1509980272023982083

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that episode really delivered all the Ricken content i'd hoped for

"I sound like a sad old hamburger waiter, prattling on about sauces."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So "revolving" has to be some form of immortality, right? Like somehow having your mind put in another body or something similar? Her dad's body is clearly on it's last legs. So maybe MDR is mind wiping people so Eagan can take over a body with no resistance

i definitely thought this too. maybe the same procedures that can wipe and reset Innies can be used to wipe regular people, Ms. Casey style, and put an Eagen in to take over the body

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

What does PE stand for? It's the state that they're in and I couldn't quite read Irv's license plate.

Irving's license plate has numbers, a picture of Kier's face, and the phrase REMEDIUM HOMINIBUS on it -- same as Mark's earlier this season, looks like

i just assume that if we're in the US, it's a very alt history united states

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

One of the orientation questions asked Helly to name a state, so weird US it is

yeah definitely the US, irvings' mail says so and does pretty clearly list the state abbreviation as 'PE' so we're in some fictional state

but all the zip codes -- 07458, 07450, 07452 -- are real ones in New Jersey, right outside of NYC. weird

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 8, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ChadSexington posted:

I wonder if we’ll see the MDR team get split up next season. Dylan and Helly are pretty much hosed - both of them are likely going to be sent to that lower level where their innies will be tortured and mindwiped or whatever. Outie Mark isn’t going back to Lumon once his sister loops him in on everything, though I’m sure he’ll want to do something once he finds out Gemma is alive. Irving is the wildcard - unless his innie wrote his outie a note off-screen, he’s going to wake up in his car wondering WTF happened. Since he’s an anti-Lumon mole though, he’s probably savvy enough to know something big has happened and to lay low.

My guess? Outie Irving is part of the same anti-severance cell as the lady outie Mark met and they’ll meet up next season through her.

Helena can just never return to the severed area and effectively 'kill' Helly, that's far more likely to be her punishment than anything that could potentially gently caress up Helena's life further. She matters, it's the other people who are going to get hosed with.

I bet, instead, as someone mentioned, she will be a villain and it'll be Innie!Mark that wants to reintegrate her or save Helly from Helena

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

imo Helena has a real life and a real job to do, this whole stunt was part of a political campaign by the company, I don't think she's going to keep committing like 1/3 of her life to it regardless of the threats she made (which she made while she was still trying to complete the project, that's now over with).

tbh one of the big open questions for me is why everyone was so desperately invested in Helly finishing her quarterly work on time, it doesn't seem to have any relation to the events of the finale or seem to be anything anyone on the outside cares about.

but I guess we still don't actually know what the gently caress MDR does, and it doesn't appear that they are just guinea pigs in a social experiment, so maybe whatever it is does matter but just remains a secret from us

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 8, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mahoning posted:

The answer for Cobel and Milchick (and the board frankly) seems relatively obvious too. It was good PR if Helly got the hang of it and simply became a good little worker bee. It meant that despite the few (very large) set backs with Helly, that Severance had worked and she was now doing her job and doing it well and on time.

nah I disagree, in terms of PR they don't give a poo poo about her actual performance or anything at all her Innie did, their entire ad campaign was based around ignoring the reality of what was happening to her and was exclusively personal, never even touching on the work they did.

if anything, the self-interested reason would just be that Cobel and Milchick had hugely hosed all this up and maybe their personal problems would go away if they could show that Helly was finally back working

regardless, the powers that be running Lumon are well aware they're keeping slaves via torture, the question of what the gently caress macrodata refining is and how it relates to their other in-universe media where it was used for corporate espionage/murder remains looming

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 8, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hawkperson posted:

My suspicion for next season is that we start following more outies than just Mark. For sure now that we know who Helly’s outie is we’re gonna see a lot more of her, I’m certain. Irving likewise is gonna be an interesting follow - wouldn’t be surprised if he and Mark meet up eventually

yeah it's a clever hook, they've restrained themselves so firmly to Mark that there's loads of content they could easily make focusing on any other outie

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

roomtone posted:

that's the only thing i don't want them to do.

i will be irritated if we need to sit through this before moving on. character development resets are never anything but time-filler.

you can do it with one of them and have the others be where we are in the story, but not all of them.

agreed. if they reset them and try to get them to continue as they were, i feel like we get to real Good Place territory, i'm hopeful for more narrative movement than having to see Mark S. 2.0 struggle with the same things

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they cast a bunch of people who are nearly exclusively known for being comedians, who are very funny in it

it's not just a comedy but lol come on we're not saying that because Ben Stiller directs it

eke out fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Random thought watching the first episode for the first time, this show nails sibling interaction better than most anything I've ever seen. Siblings being basically the same person, except in a few discrete ways, the role play between younger and older that still exists (comfortably, like a blanket) when you get older, the fact that ultimately its about protection and protecting your own, anyway thought that was cool.

e: no one else interacts the same way a brother and sister does, and the dialogue and acting nailed that

i really liked the dichotomy they set up between that and Helena's "I think of her as a sister" bullshit versus the reality of the "you're not a person, I'll torture you forever if you gently caress with me" message she sent to Helly

Devon literally does not consider Mark S. a different person than her brother and was immediately 100% on his side, the only question was how she could best help him