Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'd hazard a guess they had gambled on clearing out a corridor for heavy lift to reinforce through before an effective response came and

Failed.

Is such a plan even feasible in this pitched theater of war? I know the French did similar actions during Operation Serval but that was against an unorganized militia with a bunch of technicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Does the absence of any official visual media from the Russian government, e.g. Russian troops hoisting their flags over government buildings, indicate that cities like Kharkiv and others are still being heavily contested?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Some interesting stuff I noticed when checking out the video of Ukrainian forces fighting near Ivankiv.

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1497598058170834948

The location is correct. They seem to be fighting at this large roundabout : https://www.google.com/maps/@50.950592,29.8851703,15.31z west of Ivankiv and they're dug in on the western leg of the roundabout battling Russian forces coming from the north.

If this footage is from today or yesterday, then I'm surprised that there were Ukraine troops so far north of Kyiv and in a position to directly harass and disturb the Russians main MSR on the west side of the Dnieper. Russian troops might have reached as far south as Hostomel and Bucha but it seems their supply routes could still be vulnerable.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Belgium will be sending a couple thousand machine guns and 3800 tons of fuel as well

Edit: actually that amount has been increased to 5000 machine guns and 200 AT weapons

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

psydude posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1498191541675958273?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

From the way it's written, it sounds like the Ukrainians still have Hostomel? Or maybe they're just talking about how their earlier success at holding it and then disabling the runways stalled the Russians.

My interpretation is that Hostomel and surrounding areas are active combat flashpoints. The Ukrainians don't even have to hold the airport, they can simply shut it down by keeping the area around the runway contested.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Worrying this wasn't the Russians but Azov - but they probably have better things to do right now, and creating such a narrative would be precisely what Russian saboteurs might have been ordered to do, to galvanize support against the "Nazis". Just stating the obvious, I guess.

Azov is based in Mariupol in the easr aren't they? Though they might have moved to the west. Even if it wasn't Azov, it's a bit worrying that there is a Russian presence in southwest Ukraine

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Buddy, you should wiki "Transnistria"

E. Transnistria is the red part on the liveUA map between Moldova and Ukraine

Thanks, I didn't realize they were Russia aligned. That might explain a bit more

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
At this point, what is holding the Russians back from getting some fortifications up, get some AA running and establishing an FOB instead of just idling in vulnerable columns on exposed highways? Is the Ukrainian mud that horrible?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Surrendered soldiers won't dare to return to Russia so they'll settle in Ukraine and spend that money locally, stimulating the Ukrainian economy. Genius!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
To lighten the mood, here is some cheerful footage from the frontlines

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1498771940324122624

Countdown to GMod remakes appearing on YouTube

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

It's obvious Ukraine is winning the propaganda/hearts&mind war, I'm just surprised their reporting don't seem to require that much embellishing

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
These losses are based purely on numbers and it's harder to pin a solid number on combat effectiveness that's been lost due to logistics issues, morale and other soft factors?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
With that many AA systems, it seems like an NFZ will be set up in a roundabout way

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
<insert tweet of villagers attaching Ukrainian flags to abandoned Russian tanks>

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

"I called the hotel in Odesa Mariupol, they told me the beach wasn't mined. I'll show you!"

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's funny hearing about dudes showing up to play soldier and then getting all mad about spending days sitting around doing nothing and getting reamed by beauracracy though. That's the real experience motherfucker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTkgi7scKo

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

psydude posted:

I'm seeing videos on Reddit of a burning Russian ship at a port in the Sea of Azov. Allegedly it's a landing craft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKiOmcaqdiE

e: https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1506888821073453061

Are we sure it's not just firing up its engines?

Also, with a visiting US President and NATO, EU and G7 summits in Brussels today, it seems like a good day to work from home for me.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

psydude posted:

Here's a much higher resolution video of the aftermath (from afar).

I don't know a lot about ship fires, but the fire at the bow of the Orsk looks pretty intense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/tm4h7p/run_boy_run_a_ropuchai_class_russian_navy/

Is there a second ship that's on fire?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
France24 has been releasing some really good reports from Kyiv the past few days. This one covers the Ukrainian volunteers. I'm only five minutes in but so far I've seen a performance artist dance in a warzone, his Russian artist colleague prepare molotov cocktails with styrofoam thickener while talking how his little brother is serving in the Russian army and Ukrainian security forces hand a grenade to the journalist before he crosses the bridge into Irpin.

:nms: for blurred imagery of corpses
The battle of Irpin: Meeting the Ukrainian resistance

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Hear that clanging sound? It's the sound of gigantic loving brass balls.

Even after landing, they couldn't immediately evacuate the plane or area because there were potential mines or EOD on the ground.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Tangentially related: I do historical fencing and am in the process of getting into historical armored combat as a part of it. A lot of the equipment for armored combat gets made in Russia or Ukraine, and I had an order from a Ukrainian smith get stuck in limbo at the start of the invasion. I figured if I was lucky it would spend the conflict in their storage shed and get shipped out when Ukraine was accessible to international transport, and if I was unlucky their storage shed would get hit by a bomb and that'd be that for me. It entered the postal service in Kyiv today, which is just blowing my mind. I cannot imagine what kind of dedication someone has to have to be doing this kind of business in the middle of an active warzone.

They figured with Russia failing to enter Kyiv, they won't need that armour any time soon.

I'm actually astonished that commercial postal service is still running. I thought everything would be geared up towards the war effort bringing supplies in and refugees out. Though by now, whoever is still in Kyiv right now probably have made the choice to stay.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/MacWBishop/status/1512797114253803524

The BTR lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, its wheels are turning trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I'm heading to work in Brussels and my girlfriend is in Lithuania on a cultural exchange. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit anxious at what today will bring, irrational as it may be.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
At what point does taking the covers off T55s and shipping them to the front becomes more of a liability and those efforts are better spent on other stuff such as food and medical logistics

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Oryx might also have a bit of a backlog at this point, it's just two guys and the past two weeks have produced a lot of busted equipment.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1506892012670308357?t=0vBU5feQMouIgBJb7dberA&s=19

Replace first line with convoy/fortified position/frontline/trenches/...

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it started with russians using it for themselves, someone can find the weird antisemitic russian poems about how maybe the orcs were the good guys in lotr, because it's some wild poo poo

I thought that poem was satiric but that of course doesn't stop it from being appropriated.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Is that a sombrero on that SS death's head?

Can someone ID the patch on his helmet? It looked like the US flag combined with something yellow. Phone posting otherwise I'd post a screenshot.

Say NK is going to sell artillery munition to Russia, I guess SK will pay extra attention to the war and see what information they can glean off

EDIT: Ah, looks like it's just an American flag spliced with the Ukrainian

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 7, 2022

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
People are fleeing from Russian occupied Ukrainian territory into Ukraine? And they're being let through? It makes sense I guess but I'm rather surprised at how permeable these frontlines can be.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No, it was negligent murder. They targeted the building based on second hand reports with no confirmation, and didn't check a list of known medical buildings not to target before lighting up the hospital. Their communication and navigation equipment that would have let them confirm their target was down, but they fired 200+ shells into the building anyway. And they didn't stop even when the hospital personnel were begging them to because again, they decided to engage without working communications. The building was also marked as a hospital, the crew chose to ignore that or just weren't really looking. The military then repeatedly lied about the events until third parties called them out for it and the media attention forced an investigation - an (internal only) investigation in which 16 people got an administrative punishment and nothing else.

Meanwhile Doctors Without Borders stopped sharing their facilities' coordinates in Syria after they noticed that these were being deliberately striked by Syria and Russian allies shortly after publishing them.

So when in a conflict zone, avoid Doctors Without Borders hospitals.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The mid-90s when he got onto his "multimedia" kick was when poo poo really went south, and also around the time he started having lovely books ghostwritten with his name emblazoned on the covers.

Is that the same time when the Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games came out?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Brace yourself

Mokotow posted:

The head of the Polish police force blew himself up with a rocket launcher.

You read that right.

Reports started emerging yesterday evening that an explosion occurred earlier in the day in the central police hq in Warsaw, in a room adjacent to the commander’s office. A rocket propelled grenade went off, striking and damaging the ceiling. An unnamed person was reported wounded, hinting at security personnel.

As the day went on, an unusual info blackout continued, but it became clear that the head of police himself was involved and the “adjecent room” was in fact a part of his office. Confirmation came this evening that an RPG brought as a gift from Ukraine by the general during his recent visit there went off. There’s no information if someone was handling the weapon at the time of the accident (lol, of course he was handling it and showing off to idiot friends). The general is in hospital and it’s not reported what state he’s in.

The whole thing raises many questions, including how the general could have legally brought the weapon over the border and how live explosives ended up getting carried around the police hq building.

I guess that projectile didn't arm but the indoors backblast did the most harm. :wtchris:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

psydude posted:

It would also consist entirely of YouTube and TikTok shorts.

Intelligence dead drops through cleverly coded memes

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
There was that drug thread where eyeballing the dose somehow got corrupted into literally eyeballing the drug. As in literally using a pipette into your eye

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah glad that worked out for him, the initial thread was bizarre. CPS takes away your kid and your first action is to post a thread on Something Awful rather than more pressing concerns. I think he lived in a trailer in one of the Dakotas and tried to frame the cops & CPS as unreasonable bullies for the state of the house and got some goon sympathy until he posted photos after “cleaning up” and it was a disgusting mess with a cat hidden in every photo. I think it also emerged that he was impoverished & yet spent student loan money on a gaming rig and then a lot of time gaming rather than having his place not be a terrible place for a kid to live.

Does sound like he got it together, here’s the thread link which unfortunately has a lot of unavailable photos: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028

Man that was an odd thread, CPS took his kid & he has a wife and baby and yet he’s constantly updating his thread on a comedy forum to try to explain himself to goons.

I have a vague visual memory of the images and yeah, they were horrible and it was really sad. Glad that goon intervention actually worked for once.

Also, before we get back on track, I swear I have a memory of a thread of a goon who had a random hole in his bedroom through which he would stick his dick through and just piss into rather than going to the restroom

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

picatinny railed dongs

Do people still wrap their guns with condoms to weatherproof them?

FrozenVent posted:

That was the one where they CTRL-Z’d the stock market right?

The plot of Rainbow Six was as follows:

Billionaire ecoterrorist wants to save Earth by killing almost everyone on it. So he develops an Ebola-like virus, and hires a former KGB guy to organize terror attack (hostage takings, this is pre-9/11) so the terror alert level will go up.

Then the organizers of the Sydney olympics will hire the billionaire’s buddy who has a security consulting company; this will allow them to drop the virus in the stadium’s air conditioning system during the closing ceremony thus jump starting a global pandemic.

John Clark and Ding Chavez gently caress this up, however, so the head bad guys run to a remote base they’ve set up in Brazil. Rainbow Six flies down there, destroys all their poo poo and leaves them to die.

The heartbeat / explosive detector dowsing Rod of Iraqi police fame plays a big role.

When I read Rainbow 6 at 14, I though I was too young and dumb to understand the plot. Nope, it wasn't me.

I did read that passage where those two homeless experimental subjects had sex way too many times though.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
In Belgian news, 40 privately-owned Leopard 1A5s are in a warehouse and their owner is loudly complaining he can't sell them because Wallonia won't give him an export permit for them.

Is it possible that a whole Leopard 1A5 battalion might prove to be more of a burden rather than an asset for Ukraine?

EDIT: Maybe I should google before pulling something out of my rear end. Apparently Ukraine was been open to receiving the older Leopard 1A5

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 28, 2023

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
A small defence contractor who bought them 20 years ago at 15k euros a pop. Here's an article in Dutch: https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2023/01/26/tanks-dedonder/

He wants to sell them now for 500k each., which the Belgian government think is too high. Note that these tanks will still need to be refurbished. I have absolutely no idea whether that's a reasonable price or not, but I do get that spending 20 million on a bunch of unrefurbished tanks is a very tall order.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Fragrag posted:

A small defence contractor who bought them 20 years ago at 15k euros a pop. Here's an article in Dutch: https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2023/01/26/tanks-dedonder/

He wants to sell them now for 500k each., which the Belgian government think is too high. Note that these tanks will still need to be refurbished. I have absolutely no idea whether that's a reasonable price or not, but I do get that spending 20 million on a bunch of unrefurbished tanks is a very tall order.

For those interested, The Guardian published an article on this subject: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/31/ukraine-europe-tanks-belgian-buyer-oip

quote:

“Here we have the 50 Leopard 1s,” he said, pointing. “We also have 38 German Gepard tanks, 112 Austrian SK-105 light tanks, and 100 Italian VCC2 and 70 M113 armour carriers.”

:eyepop:

Wasn't there a high demand fo Gepards because they were really effective at taking down Shaheds?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I'm not sure if this video will be geoblocked, but Flemish television published this video from the frontlines near Sumy. Is it me or is that a DP28 at 00:56

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/kijk/2...rvato_55152871/

EDIT:

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
When you hear about the legends of units calling artillery on their own positions, I never expected to ever see a first person perspective of such a situation.

I wonder how this duo got stuck on their own. Were they manning a (well-supplied) forward observation point when an IFV suddenly rolled up on them?

Also kudos to War Buddy for realising what he couldn't but managed to get himself to do what he could. It's hard to realise that less than one year ago many of these lads were working normal jobs.