Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
This thread is for the Russian invasion of Ukraine so as to avoid disruption of the CE thread.

Don't post snuff.

McNally fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

POTUS is going to speak in 30 minutes.

And probably say nothing of substance.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Effective immediately, the United States has banned the importation of Russian cars, computers, and pineapples.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Wasn't conventional wisdom, before the start of the invasion, that the Javelins wouldn't be that useful?

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1496955582254825478?s=21

Regardless, it appears the javelin is working pretty drat well and useful.

If the problem was the anti-Javelin cages the Russians put on their tanks, surely the answer to that is "keep hitting them until they die."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just.... for the completely uninitiated, what's special about a Javelin? I get that they're a shoulder mounted antitank weapon, but what I seem to be understanding from all of you, and reality, is that they are very, very good at this?

They're guided and they're designed to attack a tank from directly above, which is usually the weakest spot.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Javelins : Tanks :: You : Generators

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa! does that count include helicopters?

https://twitter.com/Sc0ttishKoala/status/1496914492546232320

I really really want this to be true.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

Let's not forget, too, about the F-117 and U-2 being shot down.

U-2 is not remotely stealthy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I think it was also the profile against the moon if I’m remembering correctly. It didn’t help that the pilot was a total douche bag if I remember…Scott O’Grady dipshit and chud.

Scott O'Grady was an F-16 pilot

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Bored As gently caress posted:

And they permabanned him. gently caress that sucks.

Strictly speaking he was already perma'd and they were permabanning an alt, which is what's always done. But yeah, the optics of it are bad and that's something the admins have never been good with.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

If you really want to see some broke brains check out the crazy poo poo a New York City council member posted earlier. It was straight up Russian propaganda and tankie horseshit.

https://twitter.com/kristin4harlem/status/1497233923927154704?s=21

And apparently she copy/pasted that thread from someone else who tweeted it the night before

https://twitter.com/ndhapple/status/1497349983191851017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Replies say this is from 2014

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I went ahead and ordered a nice MiG-29 model kit and aftermarket Ukrainian markings to put on it. I want the Ghost of Kyiv to be real.

Russia's inability to secure air superiority got me thinking and I wonder how accurate the following scenario might be:

Maybe most of Russia's air force is grounded for maintenance reasons and the key supplier for the parts they need is Ukraine.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I ran the signs through Google Translate and got the following results:

"ON THE COCK"

"ON THE gently caress AGAIN"

"TO RUSSIA
FOR gently caress"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stairmaster posted:

seems premature to say russia is losing when they've been taking ground nonstop and have kiev encircled. too bad biden and the state department will never be held accountable for leaving ukraine in the wind

Stairmaster posted:

How do you know what level of losses the russians were expecting? They knew what lethal aid the ukrainian army was getting and nobody in their right mind would plan an airborne op without considering the highly likely outcome of it failing.

If you want to participate in this thread then participate in this thread. If you want to drive by and drop off some posts and then run along, do it someplace else. Come back and respond to the people who were trying to engage with you on this or take a posting vacation.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

When you're suddenly inverted, water coming in, and possibly injured just from the fall... uh...

Oof. Please don't.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

While yes, but in for a penny, in for a pound

In this case it's "in for a penny, in for a ruble, and now I have two pennies."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

No, I'm saying the ruble is worthless lol check the exchange rate.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

The UK and EU are also discussing how to begin seizing the assets of sanctioned individuals so they can't attempt to hide behind billions of dollars of real estate.

Handsome Ralph posted:

It would be very cash money to see videos of US Marshalls seizing some yachts right about now.

2022 comedy option: US uses seized Russian assets to fund student loan forgiveness.

I know it'll never, ever happen but a man can dream.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I'm simultaneously frustrated that it needs to be said at all but also very pleased that it took this long to come to this.

Do not post snuff in this subforum

I get that there's a fine line between combat footage of genuine interest and snuff but I think we can all agree that there's a difference between watching guided munitions hit a vehicle and watching infantry walk into a minefield.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cythereal posted:

Seeing claims that the peace summit at the Belarusian border have ended and both sides are withdrawing to 'consult' with their home governments.

Russia's peace demands are reportedly:

1. The Crimea be officially recognized as part of Russia.

2. Ukraine pledge to not join any any organizations or sign any treaties involving economic or military commitments with Western powers.

After I heard this I think I've figured it out.

Putin has gone full Trump.

"The TV says we're doing fine in Ukraine and now you idiots from the Ministry of Defense come in here and tell me we're not?"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1498368995426250764

I wonder if he had the same thing go through his mind as Lowtax.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
wait lol

"Putin's dead, we're withdrawing from Ukraine, please turn our economy back on."

"Ok."

(Putin pops out of a box) "HAHA! You fell for it!"

Step 3: ???

Putin wins again!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Big K of Justice posted:

I remember a story where there was a certain color M&M [green?] where if you got a pack of them you won a cash prize of 50 or 100K, Problem was one or two troops got the prize but the contest expired years before.

That was a Terminal Lance comic.

Edit: Holy poo poo in the post for the comic he says it happened lol

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

This is the kind of post I'm not going to allow in here going forward. You want to say something? Use your words. Stick around to respond to others.

You want to drive-by shitpost? Do it somewhere else.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

That’s 100% right so I don’t see why people need to post azov propaganda bits and fall over themselves defending why it’s not a big deal when there’s plenty of normal Ukrainians doing stuff and scream that everyone pointing out fascist propaganda is a Russian shill and must go to posting jail.

That's not what happened. I have been increasingly cracking down on people just popping in to fire off a hot take and disappear off into the night and jumping in to make a post where they literally said nothing on the subject qualifies. I did not probate them for pointing out Azov are nazis, I probated them for pulling a lovely drive-by.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

That Works posted:

I was talking about the person probed not you but climb up on that cross if you wanna

We're done talking about this now.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where is the Air Power thread you cross-posted from?

TFR

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Hopefully the new thread title will help.

Please stop dropping by to tell us that Azov are nazis, we know that. Nobody here has positive opinions of Azov. If you spot someone expressing a positive opinion of Azov, please let me know.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s kinda weird to me that the reaction to finding out the (admittedly funny without context) post was staged by Azov guys wasn’t “oh dang good to know” but instead “WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT AZOV IS” (so why did you post or empty quote it?)

It’s be pretty weird if every time the Wagner group was mentioned if someone kept going on about how everyone already knows about them so you must be a CIA agent and shut up about it.

Possibly because it had already been brought up by that point.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The fire and smoke look too good for this to be fake.

Here's a screenshot I took just now in the most recently released flight sim available. The smoke and fire look nowhere near as good in the video.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Is that Falcon 3.0?

It's Tiny Combat Arena

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

davecrazy posted:

:aaaaa:

12 year old me just had a brain aneurysm.

shame on an IGA posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for this, F15 Strike Eagle in glorious 4k is every dream I've ever had

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh that’s amazing finally a modern one that isn’t a hyper-realism turbo nerd one or super simple arcade shooter

Just so you guys are aware, it's in early access. Still not a whole lot to do yet and you can only fly the Harrier for now.

CainFortea posted:

You've been jonesing to post a screenshot from that game haven't you? :D

I thought it was a good place for it

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

The US and Ukraine are absolutely anomalies when it comes to military hardware.

FTFY

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh poo poo boys, we've been found out!

drat it, NATO IT!

lol the Windows Vista sticker

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

maffew buildings posted:

i had the awesome avatar calling me a racist for referring to overeem as a half breed like 12 years ago before this one from an avatar mix up game :( (note i now know how wrong i was, overeem is a THOROUGHBRED - horse meat type)

You're gonna have to explain to me how this isn't racist because jfc

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

US Berder Patrol posted:

ban me
I can't think nice thoughts or post nice posts anymore

How about I put you in for a week probation so you can decompress? When you come back we can revisit whether or not you want to be banned.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Also from a quick check every single post you’ve made is either complaining about cspam or a sarcastic snipe at someone.

Don't.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

BrotherJayne posted:

Each and every one of those dudes has a wirecutter built into their goddamn bayonet.

How many of them even have bayonets? And were trained on how to use the wire cutter?

I can count on one hand how many times I even saw a bayonet after I finished basic training and the only bayonet I ever touched was the old M7, even though the M9 with wire cutter was adopted when I was two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

BrotherJayne posted:

They're super easy to use on the Russian ones, you pass the "nubbin" on the scabbard through the hole on the bayonet tip, and then they work like shears

Yeah, same as ours, but my point is how many of them know that? How many of them even have bayonets?