Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1497045091831197696?s=20&t=ViK7gvUNtgnmnjLcyxbq3A

Betsy DeVos' brother spouting utter bullshit. The fact he isn't in jail is terrible

Paging ThisIsJohnWayne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PookBear posted:

Yeah I don't think we had 140 flying tigers during ww2

There were over 300 men sent as part of the flying tigers, with over 100 of them being pilots.

Edit: which isn't 140 pilots, but was a lot closer than I expected. This may also be because the program was cut short--there were supposed to be more AVGs.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Milo and POTUS posted:

I really hoped fonger was german for finger

you and your "fahngervagging"

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Soul Dentist posted:

Putin just needs to eat one of those Snickers bars and troops will pull out immediately!

Snickers: You're Not You When You're HungryTM

I can see it.

Hitler across from advisors at a super long table. "Vhat do you mean? Ve must expand ze lebensraum for ze glory of our people. Ve must liberate our peoples trapped when our previous governments stabbed us in the back!" The rhetoric has hit a fever pitch, the miniature mustachioed menace is beet red while advisors look on muttering in confused Russian. One slides a snickers all the way down the long table like a chocolate shuttlecock.

Putin appears, "Sorry about that, I dont know what came over me. Pull back all troops." He then gets up and rides out on a horse.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Alan Smithee posted:

New thread title should include penaids

Pantsir around anklesir: "Does this look like PENAIDS to you sir?"

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Handsome Ralph posted:

I unironically appreciated pallet chat.

It was a good distraction from the doom and gloom. A real cleanser of a subject.

Edit: if you make a pallet thread, I'd let these goons know

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

If they weren't, could you crane the tank over?

piL fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 25, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

wins32767 posted:

They aren't going to connect, that's all swamp. The blob in the middle there is already in trouble, just one pontoon bridge to supply them since Ivankiv was recaptured.

"Attack through swamps, they wont expect it" is the "lure them into ____ and then set ______ on fire" of Eastern Europe.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah the bridge strike I think is far more feasible and the other relies far more on Russian incompetence, based on what you’re saying.

Also if a bridge strike went really well, you potentially could get a fairly high-ranking naval guy, which would be a nice little propaganda coup.

Bridge strikes are a: hard to line up at range and b: not enough of a mission kill to give a surface craft that fired it a chance to survive (unless maybe these are air launched brimstone). If you're going to build a Kaiten navy, there's better ways than hoping for a bridge strike.

Edit: will definitely ensure you have to defend your LSTs, however.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Quackles posted:

Hang on, where did the TNT even get sold to? Whoever bought it can't really use it without getting a lot of attention. "Stuff blows up" isn't quiet or subtle.

Alternatively, buy 1,000 sticks of dynamite and ten pieces of wood. Sell the army 1010 sticks of dynamite with a 99% chance they won't be discovered pocket the difference of 10 sticks of dynamite. Repeat.

Altalternaritively, replace your 1,000 sticks of dynamite with wood and sell 1,000 milspec sticks to a legal buyer: the military

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I assume the driver sits in the loaders lap while the commander sits on their shoulders

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

golden bubble posted:

Did you see Erdogan's demands for him to stop vetoing Finland and Sweden's entrance in NATO?

https://www.aei.org/foreign-and-defense-policy/erdogan-issues-his-demands-to-nato/

LMAO. We should kick Turkey out of NATO.

Man, we're going to have to create new stationery for the NAETO/OTEAN alliance which coincidentally happens to have every NATO member state except for Turkey, plus Sweden and Finland.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point the :nsa: is sliding a red button remote across a table to a Ukrainian officer while a Price is right wheel comes to rest on "Kutuzov"

I really enjoy keeping a big hunk of Kerrygold Dubliner around. It tastes awesome by itself or with anything.

Stay safe NSA WIZARD.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Crab Dad posted:

Lol China is enemy number one with India due to water and water alone.

My read is that Indian leadership knows this isn't enough for the West to just let China soak India into the Neo Great Asian Prosperity Sphere if it came to blows. Falling in line also wouldn't ensure American participation if something like that happened. The US is known to be fickle and India doesn't have some greater alliance they compete for stature within like NATO or the EU. India has often found success by playing orthogonal to the axes of the day, much like Israel and France.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Alchenar posted:

Is this the first big conventional war where one side is operating mixed sex combat units? (not really counting Israel)

It was probably WW2, though I'd be curious as to the relative numbers.

See:
Aleksandra Samusenko (who was convinced to let Joseph Beyrle fight along side her u nit)

It's hard for me to find from simple googles who else was in Maria Oktyabrskaya's tank crew, but I assume the crew of that tank was probably mixed and not all female. Manshuk Mametova dominates searches for the 100th Khazakh Rifle Brigade. Not sure what the prevalence was, but there was at least some.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I find it odd when people compare Russian camps for political prisoners to the Nazis. I mean, yes technically--you're not wrong but I don't think you need to travel that distance.

A.o.D. posted:

It is my belief that Putin is cargo culting Stalin, and is enacting the polices he has because he sees Stalin as the greatest GeorgianRussian who ever ruled.

:hmmyes:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kchama posted:

Is it? I thought it was just a right-wing shithouse, considering everything about them.

Communist like Stalinism, not communist communist.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't know how much I consider it a deceptive feint. It has seemed to me to be less a deception and more of a two front attack against an opponent having a really bad time with logistics (what with HIMARS-o-clock and all) forcing them to make a decision on which front loses badly and which one becomes a fight. Russia chose and shipped personnel to one front, where Ukraine is doing some pretty serious fighting, the other was so hilariously under-staffed and degraded that it wasn't possible to fight back.

This is Michael Kofman's take. It seems to me that such a thing is a natural product of interior lines. Belligerent with interior lines attacks/counterattacks, those attacks discover weaknesses or unexpected strength at one point and can shift soldiers/tactics to avoid the danger and to exploit the weakness.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kesper North posted:

We should at least send Stake'ums

Vampire vampire vampire

piL fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 16, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wow, Imperial Japan also responsible for accelerating the holocaust. I dont generally see a lot of people arguing that Japan should have attacked Pearl Harbor, but maybe this guy hangs out in places I don't.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

A.o.D. posted:

I'd rather the cannibal.

Day one of Stalingrad 2: Donetsk: "Not yet Yegor, Goddammit, we still have rations."

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I didn't do it, but if I was going to do it I wouldn't dive to do it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

*GE enters the room*

Now the West is supplying the Polish-Ukranian compact with just most powerful general? Despicable.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

shame on an IGA posted:

this is how you fall out a window on the General Dynamics factory tour

GD buildings don't have windows, just overly large HVACs :tinfoil:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The American confectionery industrial complex has rot your brains.

piL fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 1, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Re kon uh souuh

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

A.o.D. posted:

What can a JDAM-EST accomplish?

Arrives three hours before a JDAM-PST :dadjoke:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't sleep on this one, guy should've been a comedian as well as a politician.

In 2023, the highest compliment that can be paid to a politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nuclear War posted:

I just, well, does anyone have any predictions of an end to this insane poo poo in the near future to share?

First, thank you for what you've done.

Second, my prediction is a non-prediction. Historically, when powers fail, the people around them predicting the failure weren't especially more common or rare than at other times. The longer the people of Ukraine resist, the more resources and trust the Russian leadership expends, the less likely they are to be able to respond in full to some other crisis. A disaster or collapse that runs concurent a resolute and persevering Ukrainian people is probably the best hope. Ukraine is waiting for an opportunity, for a strong hand to fall and change the game. The deadly procession of time and the tendency for entropy mean that the unbreakable wall of defense will outlast the merely- nearly-unstoppable force of aggression given enough time. Whether they can survive and whether the West continues to support will determine how well Ukraine can emulate an unbreakable wall, but it's not all hopelessness and gloom. It's just tragedy until it isn't any more.