Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Holy hell,

Prayers to all those civilians in the line of fire.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478
D&D donation drive thread, editing to add as I searched for ways to support

stackofflapjacks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

hobbesmaster posted:

Waiting for the public “just kidding” when a Ukrainian military lawyer gets a hold of command.

I don't know if they'll have many more Ukrainian military lawyers in a few weeks..unless they scare the unwilling Russian soldiers into surrendering

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

maffew buildings posted:

real cool hot takes on how incompetent Russia is while they continue to kill civilians in droves and are working on levelling cities

Why won't they just leave Britt...ukraine alone?!

No one is participating in shooting at Ukraine. Maybe logoff for a bit. People are doomscrolling and over analyzing because it's a war uploaded to social media in real time. No one is analyzing "well boy howdy, the Russian sure could get their K:D up on those civilians if only they had better supply!" Noticing a land war in Asia, and commenting on it's execution is what people are prone to do. It loving sucks that innocent people are paying for hubris, arrogance and greed. I think we are all on that same page here

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

psydude posted:

Just because someone's a veteran doesn't mean you can throw them into combat with a week's notice. My broken rear end would probably last about 5 minutes before I threw my back out thanks to a prior service injury. And most of my day to day military knowledge has also been replaced by more useful things, like how to reverse sear a perfect filet, or the best way to make brussels sprouts.

e: Most of it's food and beverage related, to be honest.

Army needs cooks, here's a mop

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

shame on an IGA posted:

jesus gently caress, never thought I'd catch up on a thread in GiP and immediately say "wow I'm glad I was probed for the last six hours" :wtc:

shitpostin'...

shitpostin'....never changes

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

ChaseSP posted:

Okay something I'm curious about regarding stuff like artillery. What's the difference between fully trained and being trained enough to make general use of the platform and maintain it?

No military experience here, however, I can imagine trained is going to be a contributing factor in effective artillery.

Imagining the difference between firing 50' past your lines and 50' short of your lines is all it takes. Tired, untrained dudes doing algebra in the field with cannons seems like a bad time. Or I guess trigonometry in the field.

A great logistics and equipping Ukraine overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ptG1IxZ08
This video by Perun goes into extensive detail about why Ukraine has been mostly requesting shoulder launched weapons that are easy to train with first, and he talks about why arming them with artillery will be easier than fighter jets. About midway through the video I want to say, he touches on artillery and has a tidbit about post-shoot of the video that the US started sending small numbers of NATO standard 155mm howitzers and ammo in the days since.

He also cautiously advocates that cross training Ukraine on NATO artillery will be more doable and should see some reduced training pipelines when already qualified crews are being switched from Soviet equivalents

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Taerkar posted:

So just like Tom Brady

Those gun trailer tires are under inflated!

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Murgos posted:

The fiction about demonizing and destroying your neighbors is bad but the other thing is just a take on “A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur’s Court”.

Wasn’t there a US series about a military unit that goes back in time from around a decade before that and does similar things?

Not sure if that is this but...

Reminds me of the internet story about 1 whole division being dropped into ancient Italy?

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But I heard the Ruble is the strongest currency in the world right now!

Let the Dinar scams commence with rubles!

"LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT RUBLES, THESE BABIES ARE GONNA BE WORTH A FORTUNE ONE DAY"

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

mlmp08 posted:

i hope you're ready for industry music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8ThMqjisA

:stonklol:
That is....uhhh....
Horrifyingly effective

The MIC was a mistake

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

NJersey posted:

lol be nice to the rapist, genocidal orc invaders is a hell of a take…

Realizing when humans are rationalizing their imminent murderous intent is a good thing, even when justified.

Ukrainian and Russian soldiers alike are going to say whoever they are about to merc in cold blood is the worst dogfucking, baby spiking bastard on this blue Earth. Calling attention to the group-think capability to rationalize execution is a considered approach that appreciates that human violence is messy and most people are full of poo poo.

Running away with murderous intent leads to bad things, no matter how satisfying it is

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

CabooseRvB posted:

That's like a FA BDE's and them some worth of stuff headed to Ukraine.

Sorry, what is that word salad mean? They're getting a Field Artillery something of HiMARS and a Stryker brigade?

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Tuna-Fish posted:

They are working. The last 1500 or so satellites they launched have the laser links, and they are already serving internet to Antarctica with them.
*snip, snip*
It's really not. There were parts of their plan that would have been difficult, but they have cut those out. The problem of aiming a laser at a satellite next to you on your orbital plane is trivial, and aiming one at a satellite on the adjancent plane is not that hard.

I smell a real big fish here...

You are saying focused transmission laser communications is a reality, commercially? That's amazing to me

:justpost:

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

https://ekspress.delfi.ee/artikkel/...russian-cruelty

Estonian Reporter article with the heads of counterintelligence of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Saw this in the D&D thread, reminds me of Patton on fighting Russia and is a really well written look at the Baltics counterintel chiefs discussing Russia and attitudes that led to the war. Also thoroughly debunking that it's 'Putin's War' only.

But grim as well, decapitating the leader doesn't seem like the panacea we would hope it is in the West.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm not prepared to dismiss the ability of Republicans to swing against Ukrainian defense. Propaganda works. Get the right wing media machine blaring whatever message they choose and the public sentiment will follow.

This is a real good post,

deep trumpy Indiana with a Russian flag and a US flag in all black was on vexillology reddit the other day, the Russian troll diffusion of talking points to he laundered into Republican messaging is working

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Sexual Lorax posted:

like hillary clinton?

:drat:

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

A.o.D. posted:

You've also got notes for Imperial Russia, and Russia under Stalin, both of which are applicable to the current situation. Unfortunately, the notes on Cold War Russia probably aren't applicable any more.

Yea the geographic challenge faced by Ukraine bordering a hostile Russia is massive. Not that Finland isn't similarly exposed but I'd much rather defend my cold muskeg peat bogs from bastards with no skis vs trying to stop the more refined Russian effort at UKR v3.0 2025 edition with more mechanized forces and actual officers hardened by combat, while your border is rolling farmland for the most part.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Hyrax Attack! posted:

About ballpark what are Wagner mercenaries there of their own free will (not prisoners) getting a month? Even with zero consideration for morality have to wonder how long they’re willing to keep fighting, especially as at a certain point money wouldn’t be a motivator if you’ll never have a chance to spend it.

If it helps alleviate the grinding poverty of your extended family back home is more of the draw I imagine? The early reports of them press ganging minority Asian Russians (who to me just look like relatives of Inuit and Aleut people and makes me sad) and offering frozen fish as bonuses etc. If you then get to send home several orders of magnitude more than the average annual income it'll keep you going even in an awful war you may not know the extent of.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

it will never stop being funny to me that american engineers have to work in metric then back-convert to imperial for the rest of the backward-rear end country

I will say, when you use freedom units in carpentry or/ and construction, it is intuitive to using your body as a measuring tool (pacing distance, something 1ft away is one of your feet roughly) although I could just as easily intuit into metric or whatever. I don't care what my tape measure reads, so long as it's consistent.

Although I remember being on swim team as a kid and tales of the US converting wholesale to metric were rife. Maybe wishful thinking from watching events in metric from Olympians etc?

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/20118

IRS/tech support scams but telling people to commit domestic terrorism instead.

Reminds me of the Russian security service raid where they planted 3 Sims3 game copies instead of planting SIM cards.. someone got told to find people attacking their glorious conscription offices and went and created some terrorists to round up.
Entrapment? No, more rebels!

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1694325435490828627

EDIT

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/20857

According to the Kyiv Post, Ukrainian intelligence even evacuated the pilots family from Russia and the helicopter didn't just have its crew, but also a shipment full of spare parts for Su-27 and Su-30 planes. I'm not sure if Ukraine has any of those rolling around still, but presumably some airfield in Russia no longer has their needed spare parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uErKI0zWgjg

How much worse will it be if it's a Frankenstein jet vs being a Russian maintained jet.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

A.o.D. posted:

If any of them eat avocado toast, that would be a great time to explain why avocados exist and how they became a staple crop in Central America.

This sounds interesting and is just vague enough for cursory searching to only return bad listicles, care to elaborate?

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Thought that said Aerogamis, which I just learned from a Greek guy, means air sex… or more like humping the air

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/98f15b60-bc4d-4d3c-9e57-cbdde122ac0c

lmao, gently caress right off. Russian oil terminals getting blown up is, in fact, good and awesome.

I saw another comment that the authors of this article are based in India and quoting unnamed White House officials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Lord Awkward posted:

Vietnam stays Nguyễn-ing

:drat: