Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

New set of tyres plus some fuel and it'll be good to go! :blyat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Would it be theoretically possible to enforce a no fly zone over Ukraine using only unmanned aircraft over Ukrainian territory?

Manned or unmanned, if you want a NFZ it means striking at targets within Belarus & Russia to destroy missile & radar sites... that's an escalation to avoid.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Half of Kyiv's population has bailed, holy gently caress

Having most non-combatants/wounded out of the way makes a defence much easier to work with and we are also again back to logistics (food, water, ammo & amenities).

The fight goes on.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Imagine how embarrassing it would be if they had to crowdsource body armor...

Have they run out of cardboard as well?!? :suspense:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If the russians want to attack Australia, well... it's their choice... i guess. :shrug:

:birdthunk: :utruck:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

cruft posted:

I don't know, I think the media isn't doing too bad, it's just that they're focusing on emotional impact.

Like when I was shopping for a 3D printer, cnet was helpful, but understanding the stepper motor driver chipset required seeking out a unique forum full of huge nerds.

That's what this thread is (for me).

I couldn't agree more, it's a decent aggregate for me as i don't use Twitter, Facebook or many other media services.

I assume some bias (we're only human) but it's more level headed & less sensationalist than other sources.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The poor soul is getting over worked.

Fuzzy image but i counted eight, i could guestimate twelve if i scrunch my eyes up.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

To get it out of the way, this is propaganda and Photoshop is a thing.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1501797039264473088

That is definitely a picture of a never-opened parachute.

That looks like a very tangled parachute, deployed ≠ working correctly. :confused:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Does all sense of tactfulness and consideration just get deleted from your brain when you're this religious?

''Never be so religious so as to be of no earthly use'', a man from decades ago told me that.

I'm atheist but i always found it eminently relatable. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

psydude posted:

ISW is declaring the Russian offensive a failure and says they can either dig in and regroup, or be forced to rule over a smoldering pile of rubble if they have the endurance for a war of attrition.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-19

Them starting to use Naval Infantry in ordinary ground combat instead of saving them for sea based operations is interesting, diminishing the chance of a beach invasion and at the same time throwing some of their better troops into the cauldron of city fighting. :catstare:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Roblo posted:

Are they better? Is there any evidence to say they're any better than any of the other shite we've seen? Spetnaz had been built up pre war as being elite and they don't seem to have performed much better than any of the rest of their forces, frankly.

On reflection i can't back that up as regards their quality (see possible mutiny some time ago).

But they are a limited speciality resource that is just getting chucked into hard urban combat when there should be more normal units to do that job (not that attacking Odessa from the sea wouldn't end up the same way).

If true i think it shows a certain amount of desperation. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ukranian Training Film on the Stinger MANPAD, courtesy of The Armourer's Bench on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49BpFQ8gm7I intro in English actual instructions are not translated.

:ukraine: :blyat:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Blistex posted:

What's the deal with Azov? They have good PR or are they as capable as the reporting seems to indicate? Seems that they are punching above what their numbers would to indicate.

They have a very good pr team but most of them are also going through the meatgrinder that is Ukranian urban fighting, they are useful yet also politically ''inconvenient''.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Are you guys aware of/have an opinion of Beau of the fifth column?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWCgFVmkgOs

Dude's got a point about these war tourists and the fuckers who stir up poo poo here.

I'm not American but Beau is a very stable and articulate person, he's a good lad. :thumbsup:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ah I thought I had heard something about that, but it was domestic violence.

Also in cue Fred Thompson clip news.

So that’s not good.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1506637258635501573?s=21

Is this because Poland kicked out a lot of russian diplomats today?

It's a good way for the Belarus leader to show Putin that ''he's helping'' while not actually entering into actual combat.

Beau: Well... that sucks, i really have to stop putting youtubers on pedestals. :rolleyes:

edit: typing is hard

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 23, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...hTBjGTM2nfA5VtR

This pdf pops up first when you Google Justin King Human Trafficking. Some other iffy stuff in there too.

To be clear I'm all in on Palestine and hating police too. The human trafficking violation is a human trafficking violation. If you think young woman being smuggled in to work at American resorts doesn't have a lack of consent problem that could lead to sexual assault I want a pair of those blinders.

Oh my, that pdf opens up to a very different and unpleasant world. :stare:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

In my case it's 51% at best, but I don't consider myself a leftist of any stripe. My issue was the possibility of human trafficking, and now I'm rather doubtful that's what actually went down. So... I'm stepping back from my previous judgement.

gently caress the NIMBYs

It's complicated... and i've always liked his (Beau) talks.

There are a many shades of grey in this life. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

how would an IS-3 go up against modern armor?

assuming it's not like...getting shot at

Parts of it would indeed go up... other part can choose their own directions. :cheerdoge:

It's prime molotov fodder for any babushka who can get near it,

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sublime, i think it's the raised barrel on the tank that does it. :discourse:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Yeah, but that's a market segment Chinese arms manufacturers are probably more than happy to take over.

I'm pretty sure various operators of Russian armour, like say, Venezuela, are currently having bad dreams about an insurgency armed with an endless supply of Javelins, Stingers and drones.

I think going forward we are going to see many changes regarding infantry weapons, drones and armoured vehicle design and usage.

They won't be getting personal energy shields from the Dune universe (unfortunately) but what is learnt in Ukraine will have ramifications. :utruck: :blyat:

edit; extra word removed

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 26, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

MedCram did a vid on thermobaric weapons, specifically from a medical perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwScTlCf5IQ

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

One of the greatest things I've ever seen on youtube was this like hour long vlog from 10 or 15 years ago where an old school practical effects guy broke down in great detail how the moon landings had to be real because faking it would've tripled the budget

e: ah nice it's still up

https://youtu.be/_loUDS4c3Cs

A seriously good watch. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

If you click through the ghouls on Twitter posted uncensored versions. Absolutely covering the remains of the crew

Not clicking on the ghouls, wish they had went in a faster/less terrifying way... enemy or not. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Perun just did a one hour vid on reservists and irregulars in Ukraine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3fZQmMZ4kY if anyone is interested.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

bees everywhere posted:

You should read "Chickenhawk" if you haven't already.

One of the craziest things I ever saw in the military was an Apache playing chicken with a dude carrying an RPG on a hillside. The Apache saw him and knew there were Taliban firing at friendlies from that hill but he couldn't engage until all the ROE conditions were met. So he just hovered in front of the hill and waited until eventually the RPG dude decided to take his shot. It was really, really close, like my heart rate is going up just thinking about it.

Yay! Somebody else has read it. :)

Definitely a good view of the Vietnam experience from a chopper pilots perspective.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Cimber posted:

I'm struggling with how I feel about this.

Part of me wants to say 'good job', but the other part of me is sad that civilians are going to have to pay the price for this elsewhere. More than they have already.

When you are that close to the abyss "you can always take one of them with you". :black101:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Cimber posted:

Speaking of which, what ever happened to that fat fuckwit texan guy who was imbedded with the Russian army, talking how they were going to kick rear end and denazify Ukraine?

I want to kick that guy in the teeth.

Hopefully he gets a burst appendix followed by untreatable septicemia, no glory for him.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I just encountered a fresh new tankiesplain of Lend Lease. It goes something like: 'Actually, lend/lease was used to mine gold and save the US from the great Depression. '

It took the United Kingdom 61 years (2006) to pay off Lend Lease from WW2, it's a loan... not free goods.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I thought 'petrol bombs' was trademarked in Northern Ireland ?

You called? :jihad:

I remember the neighbours making them in early 1990s when things got a bit "complicated" during one marching season (April to August)... never used thankfully.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Cimber posted:

Here in the west, a VP in a bank is not a big deal. Hell, I'm a VP at a bank. Is that the same in Russia? Is this guy actually important, or is he some flunky.

Just tying up some loose ends... nothing to see here. :yikes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

cruft posted:

This isn't the first story where a Russian ship was docked, some folks walked onto it to check it out, and were impressed by how bad it was. The fact that they were inviting random Americans to come check it all out belies an institutionalized belief that they're doing a really good job.

Reminds me of the British Royal Navy in the late Victorian era; while the strongest at the time got complacent and super focused on pomp and being the coolest looking ship, officers even bought their own paint for the ships and the brasswork was polished to unusability.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Blistex posted:

It might be hyperbole, but in theory you could wear threads or valves to the point where they're no longer water tight?

Exactly that, also did it to hatches. :cripes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which is absolute balls because watertight doors in that era were not made of brass, they were made of the same steel the rest of the hull was made of. It's a bizarre anecdote that keeps turning up because some credulous journalist wrote it down once and equally credulous historians who've never been in a boat bigger than a canoe believed it.

In my defence i heard it from Drachinifel.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh, it's been repeated by reputable historians because it appeared in a book by Arnold White, a journalist closely connected to the Royal Navy of the time. Problem is that it's still absolute horseshit if you've been around real watertight doors. I mean not even as a sailor, I was a volunteer at a museum ship and just had to open and close the things, but it would take real, ridiculous effort to polish a steel door until it was no longer watertight. I suspect it was either a sailor exaggerating for effect that White believed or he got his facts wrong, because as Crab Dad said you can probably gently caress up smaller things like portholes or fittings that way, just not a loving watertight door.

When did Drach say this? He follows me on Twitter so maybe I can yell at him about it.

Pretty sure it was in one of the Drydock episodes (194 and counting). :ohdear:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Metrilenkki posted:

"Short-term enlistments now available!"

That looks like streaks of old blood & diarrhoea on a tiled floor. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Murgos posted:

I thought this note for ISW was interesting:

It doesn't bode well for a consolidated chain of command when you appoint the most senior person in the military to command one branch of the offensive. In fact it sounds like the other fronts have just been demoted to secondary status and good luck with them getting support.

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

A few words from WB Yates.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Tried rewatching that recently, didn't hold up. The defenders of Stalingrad are so very very English couldn't take it seriously and turned it off after Bob Hoskins' scene was done. Been spoiled by The Americans where when Russian characters talk to each other they do so in Russian and it's hard to go back.

Better not watch Death Of Stalin then, Jeremy Isaacs will have you on your knees in no time. ;)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

When you find out that "Come And See" is actually a motivational film for russian conscripts. :cry:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I'm a little surprised that Tora Tora Tora isn't getting any love.

Edit: vvvv 9888? Was 1488 too on the nose for him?

I'm still trying to get over the Michael Bay :barf: take.

But anyone who hasn't seen Tora Tora Tora really needs to put it on their viewing list. :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Allegedly a Russian frigate close to Odessa doing evasive maneuvers and firing its CIWS at something.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1522452548334100480
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1522349841807986688

Either it got hit or it is role playing as the Kamchatka. :rolldice: