Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Xakura posted:

Seems like these'll arrive too late to matter

Maybe we'll treat them like cores from an auto store and just send out 300 Stingers now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

You'd kind of think folks on this of all subforums would already know there are usually some truly awful people on both sides in a war. It's at best a red herring.

Back on topic, what's stunning to me is that the armour losses the Russian army has sustained in a single week are already close to what the Soviet army lost over ten years in Afghanistan, which at the time was considered such a humiliating defeat that it likely contributed to the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

Has any trustworthy numbers of Russian losses come out?? All I've seen is what the Ukrainian Army has released which are going to be inflated(even if they are only doubling the real numbers :stare:)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Figures that even in the middle of a long standing ammo shortage, still no one is buying remington ammo so they have a million rounds to send.

How does loving Remington not have a verified checkmark??

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Maybe he's looking for his cat

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

psydude posted:

Motion to start referring to all Marines as Naval Infantry.

Second

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Just one question, is it a coup or a revolution?

Since it did not come from the Paris region of France it is a sparkling uprising.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I needed a good chuckle. Thanks for this.

Unlike the VDV I get a joke to land eventually.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Only control they b had was engine throttle iirc

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

EasilyConfused posted:

Are you recalling it from two posts above yours?

Yes, yes I am.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Xakura posted:

Yes. Is the name of the move some existing thing/reference, or did they make it up? 'Coz I think it's a dumb name for aluminum falcons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/3ohovh/what_the_hells_an_aluminum_falcon/

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Cimber posted:

F-15s are dual seated, with a pilot and a wizzo, while the f-16 are single seated. Easier to steal two of 'em that way.

You have not watched that movie. *eye is twitching *

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Uhhh someone ban this sick filth. The F-16 is emphatically not better than the F-15. Why do you think we’re buying new build F-15’s with all the bells and whistles and not bespoke F-16’s.

Because Lockheed Martin owns the F-16 and F-35

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

training for what?

Or search and rescue ships after climate change ramps up storms on the Great Lakes. Does the coast guard operate anything big on the Great Lakes?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also, which pilots are we pulling off active duty to learn the new platform, and where would we train these pilots? Basically half cripple Ukraine's airforce for a few months while we ship them to a NATO ally for training and back again? Or let them train in Ukrainian airspace? Good luck with the latter.

Third option,

AVG

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Russian civil war probably comes in a close second.

My favorite bit is that the American expeditionary force was armed with Mosins on the theory they’d be able to get ammo but had zero training and the sights used some sort of pre-metric Russian imperial measurement system so they couldn’t hit anything.

The the bolsheviks stole all of their old weapons because the British officers who also gave zero shits about the American units under them didn’t do anything to safeguard their weapons caches back where they switched to Russian weapons.

Then those Bolshevik troops with American guns ran into the American force and the US troops now got to fight Russians with BARs and much better American bolt actions who easily outranged and had vastly more squad level firepower.

Someone listens to lions led by donkeys

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Stravag posted:

He just uses "YO philly bro BEST CITY BRO MAN I WOULD gently caress A TRAIN BRO HEHEHEHEHEHE GO BIRDS" in place of a personality so its just loving exhausting listening to him

Well Nick is in Korea...

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Wild. Not going to lie, when I first saw people on twitter and elsewhere starting to chat about the Moskva maybe being hit I dismissed it as 100% pro-Ukrainian wishful thinking misinformation, which there's no shortage of floating around.

Where is the the meme of the Ukrainian soldier saying "they are so loving stupid"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

Russia didn't even try and float it off to the corner of the map?

I'm sad to say I understand this reference.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was confused because I hadn't heard of him or any US incidents like that so I googled it and :cripes:

I didn't get this reference until you said that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Invade Moldova from where, with what army

Don't forget that Russia hasn't been contested on the Black Sea The Moskva doesn't count, it was an accident

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Jimmy Smuts posted:

just another boring F-15

Rude.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I mean, wouldn't it work better out in the bargaining table if they had pieces if Russia to trade back for pre 2014 borders??

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Force de Fappe posted:

Huh, what? He never did time. Of course.

:thejoke:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I'm not certain on the exact numbers, but I think the bridge is at the extreme range of Ukraine's longest range rocket artillery. While a bridge is a long and tall target, it presents a very narrow profile against attacks from above, and in this case, a miss of one meter might as well be a mile. Not only that, but scattered mines on a hard surface are dangerous, but typically nowhere near as difficult to clear as on soft or overgrown terrain. They'll certainly be very easy to see.

Sail a tractor to one of the supports

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Why would Russia be shelling the plant that's occupied by Russian troops and used as a shield to stage Russian equipment?

:magemage:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I want to Believe

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

psydude posted:

I think the point is it's tankie propaganda.

But The Netherlands might as well be part of the Five Eyes. They speak English better than the Brits and have world class SIGINT.

And they are at war with Norway according to Jeremy Clarkson.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Forgot about all those afghani weddings, eh?

Plus that AC-130 pounding a doctors without borders hospital for a few hours.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Cimber posted:

That sounds like it could be a Logan act violation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Act

Is musk a US Citizen?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

that's a shame the last sentence is one of the greatest punchlines ever

That and trying to get the Russians to allow the bundeswehr into their country to help defend it. There was so much wrong with this book.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Lum_ posted:

I would spoiler tag this stuff but no one should ever buy nor read this book

Buy Arc Light instead if you want to read turn-of-the-century war drama that's actually good

And watch an impeachment actually succeed

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

"Everyone turned on me so I'll play the victim"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

These hosts should probably be a bit introspective about WHY america has bases all over the world

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I know man; me too.

As long as we dont have a breached reactor core sitting in a port

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I seem to recall they’re all diesel subs.

Ok cool, sink them

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah A Bridge Too Far was amazing. Educational to put six Stuarts against one King Tiger, as surely one will get a lucky shot on the rear armor, right?

I put an anti tank gun inside a shed and the german tanks kept merrily strolling right up to it and dying.

Other than that I don't remember much about the game

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The M9's safety lever is so drat useless, it'd keep switching from safe to fire while sitting in my holster. Hopefully the P320's safety is better.

That's a holster problem not the pistols fault

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

orange juche posted:

50/50 most likely, it takes time for bureaucratic poo poo to happen. Western intel was predicting that Ukraine would fall in like 96 hours. It was really wild how badly everyone overestimated the Russians and underestimated the Ukrainians. Even after it became obvious that the Russian military was horribly underprepared beyond the rosiest of assesments, there was still the lingering doubt that continues even now that Ukraine can actually pull it out to the pre-2014 borders. Russia is loving terrible, and completely unable to fight this war, but quantity is a quality all its own.

The counteroffensive that happened around Kharkiv and pushed the Russians back opened a lot of eyes on whether the Ukrainians had the ability to actually persecute the fight given the disparity in how large the Russian forces are compared to the Ukrainians. Abrams are not likely to be handed over in the next month or 2, and everyone wants to see how the Russians react to the Challenger 2 transfer. They're literally on the border of Poland though and a bunch are in Germany, so if Biden announces he's utilizing PDA to transfer Abrams, it could happen in a matter of days, just like the HIMARS transfers happened.

Challenger 2s are actually better than M1 Abrams, we just have a lot more Abrams.

E: Also one of the tests here is "Can the Ukrainians maintain and utilize a modern NATO MBT? What about ammo? Will the country providing the tanks give enough spares for tanks involved in heavy combat that get damaged? Can NATO logistics handle it? How do you train the tank crews?"

I thought Chobham armor was super secret classified? Like the Saudi and Egyptian M1's don't even have it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's in Ukraine now tbh

He's homeless last article I could find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

How are they so good at detecting this but not Russian war crimes?

Because they are afraid to operate in Russian controlled areas