Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Now explaining to 18-year-old what the Warsaw Pact was. Think of all the new place names we're going to learn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

WE CANNOT ALLOW A BABUSHKA GAP

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

psydude posted:

The Economist mentioned that the Ukrainians are claiming to have destroyed an entire Russian tank column (15 tanks - that's almost an Armor company's worth, if I'm not mistaken) with Javelins. Raytheon engineers probably patting themselves on the back right now.

A Russian-pattern tank company is 3 platoons of 3 plus one commander's tank, so more than a company.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Fragrag posted:

Is such a plan even feasible in this pitched theater of war? I know the French did similar actions during Operation Serval but that was against an unorganized militia with a bunch of technicals.

The failure of "they'll welcome us as liberators!" plays out yet again.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are TOWs too unwieldy compared to Javelins for the current situation?

e: question answered further up, nevermind

And also a different class of weapon, since Javelin is portable and TOW isn't.

edit, unrelated: NATO Article 4 apparently in effect

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Is this accurate? I don't know, but it's cool to mess around with.

https://www.gfsis.org/maps/russian-military-forces?fbclid=IwAR3vSXhzivAPXvf8B6ARxJX8Vh69zqJhXLl0lVEyXyU2l0dTXT1YPUfumhg

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The occupiers are «confiscating» a safe from the bank, where the employees refused to recognize the Russian ruble. The violence of the Russian occupation forces is affecting every part of our lives and has to be stopped.

This video was taken in Kherson Oblast.

Here is a link to the video as I can’t embed Telegram.

https://t.me/verkhovnaradaofukraine/156

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqSiLL8U3vo

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Regarding Russian vehicle markings: I saw this explanation offered, and have no idea as to its veracity

Z - east forces
Z in rectangle - Crimea forces
O - units from Belarus direction
V - Russian Marines, but also seen on BMD vehicles
X - Chechens
A - special forces

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1498409887205937155?s=20&t=q3Ud4RjXxDUdWrv6k052xg

this is insane right, the basing out of poland? this can't be happening? can anyone find another source?

seems like an obvious route to escalation with NATO

Yes, it seems pretty :eyepop: levels of escalation.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It concerns me that the only Category I units we've seen so far are the airborne forces.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

And just after Bangladesh chose to abstain from the resolution condemning the invasion. "No way the raging bear can hurt me, I'm so far away!"

Not that UN resolutions are anything more than a sternly worded letter, but still.

"Random" being the key word here. I doubt anyone involved in using the weapon involved knew anything about the ship other than "ship in Ukrainian port."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ded posted:

dont sandbags help heat rounds penetrate?

No, they just don't do much. I suspect those sandbags are there because dudes have some concerns about airburst arty being unhealthy for unbuttoned TCs.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arrath posted:

Hitting a small patrol corvette with an unguided rocket barrage is some real good poo poo

"Rocket" is a generic term commonly used by Russians (and we can presume through inherited Soviet practice Ukrainians) to refer to guided missiles as well.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In Wargame: European Escalation where the Cold War goes hot in the 1980s as the Warsaw Pact you can deploy T-34s. Better than nothing but mowed down fast by any modern armor.

When someone complains about uptiering in WT, my go-to example is the presence of T-34/85s in the inventories of WP countries reserve units into the Eighties, and the Sherman not leaving the inventory of some Western nations -- including Canada-- into the Seventies.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol this reminded me that they immediately killed off the kid hero from Iron Eagle 1 in the first ten minutes of Iron Eagle 2 and made the series strictly a Louis Gosset Jr. affair

I remember seeing this movie in the theater, and the fact that they chose to unceremoniously change main characters was lost against my outrage that they decided that the most recognizably American Cold War jet was a good stand-in for MiG-29s.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hm. Shot

Chaser

I'm glad we're not the only ones having to walk back statements.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Bit of an old post to reply to, but there's now actual combat footage of a Javelin versus a Russian tank.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1510015312648888325

It's a one-for-one with the test footage from more than a decade ago. A Javelin means A Bad Day for an unsupported tanks.

That is one very startled chicken.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Like the ability to poo poo your entire intestinal tract?

"STOP, CRIMINAL!"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Ukraine is going to capture Moscow fuelled by pure rage and armed by the west.

I don't know about Moscow, but I'm beginning to think Sevastopol might be on the table.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lake of Methane posted:

The VLS for up to 64 S-300F missiles is on the back half of the ship, between the two superstructures. They appear to be undamaged on the Moskva, but I just thought this was ... something.

https://twitter.com/Saturnax1/status/1078263088116367360?s=20

Varyag (another Slava-class) came to San Francisco a few years back and, while they wouldn't let tourists into the skin of the ship, just wandering around the main deck was eye-opening. Like, the number of things very obviously painted into immobility and the fact that the Russians still haven't invented non-skid yet.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Caconym posted:

I assume "SAM radars" refer to the fire control radars, and not the air search radar. Slava class has a dedicated radar for the S-300, and another for the SHORAD, in addition to the air search radar.
But that only makes it even wierder.
I could accept "target fixation on the drone" IF they were locked on the drone. But they weren't locked on anything. So the air search plot should be getting all the attention in the CIC.

And then they should have detected the new track.
Coming right at them.
At fast subsonic speed.
At low altitude.
At sea.
At night.
At war.

But if they had detected the missiles they should have locked on to _them_ with the FC radars, so they probably didn't detect them, or at least not before it was too late?
It's just... a total lack of situational awareness that boggles the mind.
Either that or the ships sensors and/or weapons just plain didn't work of course. Maybe the FC radars were painted stuck fore and aft :v:

A wargamer does some math:
https://rockymountainnavy.com/2022/04/14/moskva-burning-using-the-wargame-harpoon-v-from-admiraltytrilogy-com-to-assess-the-story/

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Well now I want to see someone try and hold up a liquor store with a towed 155

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kith posted:

please correct me if i'm having a bad brain moment but did russian troops seriously loving booby-trap children's toys

Digging deep into the old Afghanistan playbook, I see.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

The kind of dumbfuck who buys something like that doesn’t realize that their own ideology isn’t that far off of Al Qaeda/Daesh/Taliban.

They can absolutely never realize that "What we need to do is get some good, honest, God-fearin' country folk to come in and kick all those corrupt elites and ivory-tower eggheads out and replace them. That's how we'll get some common-sense know-how runnin' things!" is like Khomeini's whole deal for the 1979 Iranian Revolution.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Has Ukraine had any generals KIA yet? Don't recall hearing about any.

No one has learned more about the importance of information hygiene than Ukrainians, is the lesson I think we can draw here.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm guessing the next step is spicy air, not canned sunshine.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The reports that came out of Crimea in 2014 talked about the change in thinking about armor and artillery. Light armor used to be thought of as generally as arty-resistant as tanks, and that just isn't true any more.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

So, apparently the Ghost was real and also bought it sometime in the last week or so and is being credited for a total of forty kills, which if true makes him the highest-scoring ace since WW2. I wish I could find a less suspect source than the ones I've seen run with it so far.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Guided munitions for artillery is another one of those "ditch all the truisms you grew up with" things that affects basically everything. Once you have enough of them that your entire log train isn't lugging the tonnage for units of fire for dumb barrages, you're visited by the logistics fairy.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Stripes is a bad movie.
It's a worse military movie.
This is a bad opinion.

Are you saying this vehicle would not be useful for picking up girls in Minsk?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Not 100% what that video is supposed to be, but it's not a CIWS going off. That's not an easily mistakeable sound.

Regardless of the provenance of the clip, that noise (and the little splashes in the water near the ship) could very well be a small autocannon of some sort, even if it doesn't have the distinctive chainsaw noise of the Vulcan.

example: https://twitter.com/annquann/status/1215503533044191233?lang=en

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Autocannon with a .22 maybe. I assure you that if you have ever been within 10 feet of a CIWS when it is being fired, that will stick with you until the end days.

They were mounted up on the 02 level, so I really couldn't get that close to them when they went off.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ukraine artillery and Starlink:
https://twitter.com/trenttelenko/status/1523791050313433088

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

NightGyr posted:

NY Times published an interview with a Ukrainian pilot a while back. It sounds like they operate from dispersed bases, fly low and fast, and get out before the Russians can organize a response. As long as Russian planes are in the area, SAMs will hesitate to fire.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/22/world/europe/ukraine-air-force-russia.html?smid=url-copy

That's pretty much the same way the Serbs were still flying fixed-wing sorties well after they were supposed to be out of the picture.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Taking a look at the US OOBs for the GW is like reading an alt history Cold War gone hot novel that’s wearing a lovely coat of desert tan paint. =

Or in VII Corps' case, woodland camo with mud smeared over it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

There's not a lot of insight to be gained from an isolated engagement failure without better forensics on what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS4i2InVB-Y

Pretty much this. I watched a Tomahawk go into the Red Sea in our wake. I'm pretty sure that one failure out of my sample size of five doesn't mean they have a 20% failure rate overall.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

All that said, we can certainly add those two datapoints to the lengthening trend line of "Russian forces are not doing a great job of maintaining Soviet legacy systems and may not be proficient users of them in general."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Evolution of the warplane, this time without pilots.

Including cost death spiral.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Farmer with a new TOS-1. Those gophers are in for it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Joke Miriam posted:

Does Ukraine currently possess the means to take out the Crimean Bridge? And if not, can they get them from Lend Lease?

I get that taking Crimea is the moonshot here, but if it was going to happen it would have to begin with knocking out the bridge.

I'm betting they possess the means to keep it repeatedly sown with artillery-scattered mines, if they can't knock it down outright.