Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Cats are agents of chaos incarnate, with no regard for the laws of man or god.

What about the laws of dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Got a bit of a question.

It seems like the 'net is full of lots of people spitballing about Russia's capabilities, and what that means for the war (and by extension what the ideal international response to it should be / should have been).

What are good ways to tell what info's accurate and what's wild speculation / just plain wrong?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/spencerguard/status/1503552552029220870?s=21

John Spencer talking about a potential Battle of Kyiv and says the most apt comparison isn’t Gronzy…it’s Stalingrad.

Is there a transcripts for us plebians who can't sit through a podcast?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Alan Smithee posted:

What did the original tweet they were quoting say

A photo of a press release saying "US sends $800m of weapons to Ukraine, comprising:" and then a list.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hang on a minute.

I just looked it up, at apparently something like 80+% of Ukrainians (at least, as of 2019) are Christian. Mostly Orthodox, unsurprisingly.

So what's the point of going there to evangelize?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Churchill posted:

Agreed (other than flailing about trying to clear the smoke). There's probably a liability aspect to it though.

Mine has that. If the smoke is still around after 5 minutes, though, it'll start up again.
(This has never come up.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bees everywhere posted:

It mostly is but the US (and many other countries) likes to give a lot of autonomy to lower level commanders so they can improvise and be flexible while still working towards achieving the tasks they were assigned.

When everything works as it should then you end up with well-rehearsed plans, everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing and they know what their friends are supposed to be doing. But then most plans end up changing as the situation develops and you gain more intel, or maybe a friendly unit can't accomplish their goals suddenly, or maybe you lose comms with everyone. Sometimes the lower echelon units find out that the plan was flawed to begin with. Whatever happens, though, there is usually room for common sense to take over, and at those times the doctrine is definitely more of a suggestion than it is a law.

edit: I wish I could remember the fancy term for this but I'm drawing a blank today

Historian Bret Devereaux calls it the 'modern system'. (Section's about halfway down the page.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

psydude posted:

Tolkien went to his grave swearing that none of it was allegory. Hasn't stopped everyone from believing otherwise, though.

He went to his grave swearing none of it was allegory for World War II, which is probably right. It could absolutely have been inspired by World War I, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kesper North posted:

It just goes to show, you get out what you Putin to it

If Ukraine your neck, you can see a shitpost

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

shame on an IGA posted:

"If we copy what Piggly Wiggly does then we'll be as successful as them!" -Taiichi Ohno, 1948

Like this?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

M_Gargantua posted:

The weirdest drat thing, I can read the verb tense but no matter how I try to speak it it just adds a weird syllable to the end that doesn't sound right.

Javel'n

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

golden bubble posted:

It's like how everyone plays dirty to win the Olympics,

Wait, what?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FrozenVent posted:

My friend, have you ever heard of Radium?

Ra, Ra, Radium
SA's greatest (?) code dum-dum

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Can't make this poo poo up, captured Russian TNT charges turn out to be blocks of wood in paper wrapping.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KWroz/status/1515717393812709384

Hang on, where did the TNT even get sold to? Whoever bought it can't really use it without getting a lot of attention. "Stuff blows up" isn't quiet or subtle.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

lightpole posted:

Thats a protective coating of iron oxide protecting the hinge spacers on that active duty vessel.

You're shitposting, right? I thought that was only a thing with aluminum.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Taerkar posted:

The Vomlet is the worst anything. MRE. Food. Paperweight. Biohazard.

Ah, but in Canada...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKTZUuRHK4

...yeah, it's about as bad.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I would be more worried that Ukraine becomes the next Iraq, or Afghanistan.

I thought it was going to be the next Afghanistan... for Russia. I'm just a random person, but I did live through seeing various small Middle Eastern countries bog down the US Army in various unpleasant ways.

But this time, it's the Russian army who's invaded. And they're getting bogged down in various unpleasant ways (though having the entire NSA backing the small Eastern European country up certainly helps).

The real question is how long they can stay.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Murgos posted:

Master & Commander The far side of the world

Yeah, this is a good movie. I love this one.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TheWeedNumber posted:

what game is this from?

Balance of Power by Chris Crawford.

I have the guy's book, Chris Crawford on Game Design. The guy's a crotchety old fart and an unreliable narrator to boot, but that just makes the book fascinating - and there is some actual good advice in there, not just air balls.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Museum of Flight near Seattle is also a good place for airplanes. They had a spectacular Apollo 11 exhibit a few years ago including the command module and Neil Armstrong’s suit. They also have the shells from the bullets used to slay Captain Phillips’ captors for some reason.

Oh man, Museum of Flight is great. I remember doing the Mission to Space simulation together with my school group. It was super immersive.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also where are the goddamned engines?

In the wings, I think.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Gaius Marius posted:

This tweet, like all tweets, is a complete misquote. I don't like the man, but this sort of intellectual dishonesty needs to be called out every time you see it.

I'm pretty sure that's a screenshot of Anthony Bourdain's book, so I'm not sure how it's a misquote exactly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bulletsponge13 posted:

The greatest trait of the US military is also it's weak point. It's largely made up individuals with and (speaking broadly, here) insubordination and improvisation are rewarded.

If you think about it, it's a reflection on the American character to a certain extent. It's the land that gave the world P.T. Barnum, after all.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

It's interesting how a knee-jerk decision made 11 years ago by Germany based on an earthquake, has played out on the world stage leading up to this.

Wait, what?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A.o.D. posted:

Fukushima

Oh.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kaal posted:

Eugene becomes a hippie wiccan commune, Bend is controlled by cowboy barons, Corvallis becomes a merchant republic run by snobby professors, and Portland devolves into a cannibal society governed by Renaissance Faire - that's just cold-eyed realism.

What about Ashland?

(For those who don't know, that's where they have the Shakespeare Festival.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Burt posted:

You have never seen Imperial measurements so hosed up until you have been on an American drilling rig. 10 inch to the foot? Yep. Barrels per minute flow? Kips? Ton miles? I am having nightmares at this point.

Also funny to take a bunch of hands from the Gulf and send them to Australia where it's all Kilopascals and Newton metres. :clint:

I thought they used PSI in Australia, not KPA?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

To misquote the title of the YOSPOS cat thread:

hello Donbass, please do okay

Quackles fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 20, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

psydude posted:

Germany: no Russian gas? No problem! We'll just burn more coal.

Mother Nature: lol no you aren't, bitch

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-02/europe-s-vital-rhine-river-is-on-brink-of-effectively-closing

Question. Apart from natural gas (unavailable due to geopolitical instability), coal (dirty), and nuclear (too easy to gently caress up), what energy options does Germany meaningfully have?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Magic pffelmet.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

psydude posted:

I'd be willing to bet money that the US and Australia would intervene militarily against China to defend Taiwan, with Japan a strong possibility if their constitution permits. So even if China is more competent than Russia, they're going to have to deal with 4 modern, professional militaries who have trained to fight them and whose populations already have a very negative view of Chinese influence.

So... nukes?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

That really got driven home in that VDV guy's recounting of the Kherson invasion where he starts to realize that every civilian from teenager to pensioner they're passing are on their phones taking pictures and sending texts.

I'm kind of surprised that Russia didn't just... try to destroy every cell tower and telecommunications building they passed, honestly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Elviscat posted:

It'd be pretty funny if China seized the Kuril Islands.

I can imagine Japan would take umbrage to that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wait, do hiking shoes (not boots) count as sneakers?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bird food bathtub posted:

Playing the optimistic note, what happens when Ukraine finally has full territorial sovereignty restored?

Build a very large wall on the Russian border? (100% serious)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If the dam does get blown, think they’ll blame Ukraine?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

pain in the rear end for now, I suspect that they're going to be a solved issue pretty quickly. you seen any reports of the suicide drones getting used successfully anywhere near the front? because I haven't

I've read that Russia is targeting the Ukrainian power grid with them, actually.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yes, did you read the full sentence? they're hitting targets in the rear away from where most of Ukraine's AA systems are. Shahed's have been conspicuously ineffective anywhere near the front line

Yeah, I agree. They aren't hitting the front line - they're targeting comparatively unguarded infrastructure.

Think it'll have a major effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xakura posted:

This guy right here

Huh. I didn't know you could improve on the torpedo.