Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

keep punching joe posted:

The only specifically unique Glasgow accents I can think of is the 'Glasgow Uni' accent which is a sort of weird mid-Atlantic/valley-girl drawl mashed up with with the sort of upper middle class Scots you hear on the West coast. It's just as horrendous as it sounds.

There is also a very distinct southside of Glasgow accent primarily among the Pakistani community but its spreading out into general use amongst other ethnic/white groups. If you've seen Still Game it's basically the shopkeeper.

Other than that its just a sort of generic Glasgow style that you hear basically everywhere from North Ayrshire through to Bellshill.

I've always found the "glasgow uni accent" thing a bit mystifying because I've heard lots of references to it but don't think I've ever actually heard it, unless it's just a new name for "west end accent". I've got a fairly typical west end accent, but when I was briefly at uni I don't think any of my friends spoke with the same accent as I had unless they were specifically from the west end, and my current D&D group which is almost entirely Glasgow Uni alumni mostly just sound like the places they're from: Edinburgh, Australia, the highlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I think it probably really just the generic accent around younger people in Hillhead /kelvinbridge rather than specific to the uni (though that's probably the main driver). It's certainly distinct from what I'd class as the more middle class Glasgow voice (Armando Ianucci/Peter Capaldis accent spring to mind here as examples)

ThomasPaine posted:

You're probably right that the Glasgow Uni accent is more or less the same as a generic upper middle class West End one. I'm not 100% sure though. Here's limmy doing an improv story featuring his only kinda exaggerated version of it

https://youtu.be/kN3gb8-Uusc

(It's well worth watching the whole thing btw, the guy's hilarious. Must be kinda jarring for a guy from working class Glasgow that his kid now speaks with the accent he takes the piss out of so much, given he's grown up very affluent now his da's loaded)

Yeah, it's the funny thing where I've heard people like Limmy "do" the accent, just haven't heard an actual IRL case, which might just be that it's my accent so I can't hear it. Or maybe it is just that it's a young person accent and I'm now officially old enough that the people I think of as "young" aren't young any more.

I use a sample paragraph to practice doing accents, I recorded my natural voice reading it:
https://voca.ro/13MIz4084GVL

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have to admit, I loving love the welsh accent, it's great and I get a kick every time I hear it. There should be more welsh accents in things.

I kind of wish the LOTR linguists had stuck to their guns and got peter jackson to leave the elves with welsh accents, you can sort of hear it in the first bit with Elrond and Isildur.

100% same, I love welsh accents and its to my great regret that I can't do one at all unless I'm just quoting lines. I remember when I played the The Old Republic (Bioware's Star Wars MMO) and bumped into an imperial officer, Captain Bryn from the Welsh Planet and he instantly became my favourite star wars character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4KRJoxhtQ

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 4, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I did German in school, the main thing that stands out in my memory was being told that if we were asked if we speak German, we should hold up our closed hand put our thumb and forefinger close together and say "ein bischen" to mean "a little bit". Now there's nothing necessarily weird about doing that gesture to mean something small, but I think it stuck in my memory because our teacher specifically had us all do that specific hand gesture like it was some mandatory part of the phrase.

Many years later I finally went to Germany, and any time I would ask "Do you speak English?" literally every single person did that exact goddamn hand gesture and said "a little bit", no matter how good their English was.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I would personally question whether someone alleging that the Ukranians are killing their own civilians:

quote:

As some cities in Ukraine are falling with little or no opposition, others are beginning to kill civilians who try to flee. There is no "united" opposition to the Russian advance.

Is avoiding the trap of portraying the Russians as the "good guys".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

lol I missed that bit, but I can certainly see it being true given the amount of fash groups involved and the de facto conscription of adult men

From what I can see the account is fairly consistent in referring to the Ukranian side in this as "Ukronazis" and "The 4th Reich".
https://twitter.com/MountainChen4/status/1501739665682046979?cxt=HHwWhoC94Z6RoNcpAAAA
https://twitter.com/MountainChen4/status/1501694065586364426?cxt=HHwWlICzyfuyi9cpAAAA

I'm going to go out on a limb and consider that this tweeter's analysis of the situation is intended to be read as "this is entirely the fault of the US and their Ukranian nazi stooges". I think it's also notable that the entire thread avoids mentioning even once any degree of culpability on the part of Russia.

I do think there's an issue within Ukraine's military of fash groups, but I do not believe it is a problem unique to Ukraine, much in the same way that I do not believe the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn was uniquely anti-semitic. It has unfortunately presented in ways that are particularly troublesome, and the difficult truth we must accept is that the Russian invasion serves to bolster their case, not to damage it, so tackling its rise should be uppermost in our mind when considering how to handle the situation post-war.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I really should have checked out the rest of the account. I still like the basic premise of the imperialist war angle + the relationship between capital and fascism, and I do think some westerners shout down critiques of NATO aggression as a major factor a bit too readily. But yes, Russia is definitely the invader here and anyone can see their approach to the conflict has hardly been humanitarian - hell, Putin's not exactly shy of co-operating with shady neo-nazis, and some of the more professional soldiers on his side (I'm looking at you Chechens) are outright terrifying. I'm always sad when people get close to a good point then ruin it by over-correcting in the other direction. But yes I guess that's on me, apologies. I do agree with you, and I'm genuinely a little concerned about what this is going to do to rehabilitate the far-right.

One of the real difficulties I see with critiques of NATO is that we can only know what was, and not what would have been. NATO interventions in places like Libya have been devastating for the targeted countries, but we can't know if, absent NATO, the individual countries that presently make up NATO wouldn't have just done that anyway. After all, France and the UK were quite happy to go into Suez without NATO, and the US was quite happy to build a "coalition of the willing" for Iraq when opposition from countries like France prevented NATO from acting.

But on balance, my gut says that the imperialist-minded western powers would continue to be imperialist-minded western powers even if they weren't in an official permanent alliance together, so I'm not really convinced by the notion that, say, abolishing NATO would actually fundamentally change anything for the global south, absent other much more fundamental changes in western society that would themselves neuter imperialism alone.

On the flip side, there's the actual "official" purpose of NATO which is its defensive element, and frankly, I can't really fault the various Eastern European states who had just gotten out from under the thumb of Russian imperialism for flocking to an alliance that's main pitch is "we'll protect each other from Russian Imperialism". And much like with the fascist orgs, here the invasion bolsters that argument rather than weakens it--another country which didn't get in in time, became a victim of Russian imperialism. In one fell swoop Putin has just breathed another generation of life back into NATO and weakened any attempt within the west to dismantle it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Convex posted:

Not sure this is a lol tbh, unless I missed the part where he talked about how much he wants to kill paups

Eh, I admit I found "nobody in this generation has faced off against the firepower of a conventional army, says former active member of a conventional army" rather amusing. Maybe he assumed everyone he was shooting at in Iraq was in their 60s.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
thanks ristar

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cookie Cutter posted:

You think I don't know that? It still doesn't change the attitude of the people in the Russian government either way. Notice I'm not actually saying I agree with this position, because I shouldn't have to! Thanks for condescending to me about "what's really going on" and telling me to gently caress off though.

Here's the thing, you started this venture on the premise that, for discussion's sake, you were laying the majority of the blame at NATO and the West's feet and asked for counterarguments. You didn't provide any sort of thesis statement on why you were laying the blame there in the first place, so that requires people responding to you to guess why, for discussion's sake, you might be doing so. If you then provide the Kremlin's arguments in response to people's points, it's not unreasonable at all for people to assume that the reason you'd be laying the majority of the blame at the feet of NATO is because you believe in the basic thrust of these points. Because each of your responses carries the implied coda of "and that's why it's not mostly Russia's fault".

So if, for discussion's sake, you want to lay the majority of the blame at NATO and the West's feet, how about instead of asking for counter arguments and then responding to each one with "oh but that's not my position", how about you tell us what your rationale actually is for laying the majority of the blame at NATO and the West's feet, for discussion's sake?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cookie Cutter posted:

Not if you're going to interpret what I've already said as "the Kremlin's arguments". Do you see me accusing anyone here of being a pro-West imperialist running dog?

Mate, I'm very charitably giving you the benefit of the doubt there by accepting your claim that the views you're presenting about the republics being legitimate is not something you necessarily agree with. That is the Kremlin's position, I'm engaging with you in good faith by calling it their argument and not your argument.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think I'll pass on Double Summer, not keen on winter sunrise at 10:30, personally.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I bought some of those tubs people use for cereal. One for bread flour, one for self-raising.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Bit of a weird one today, went to get my meter reading, and unless I've lost my mind, my meter has disappeared. I don't have a smart meter, and now there's just a gap in the meters (marked with my flat number) where my meter used to be. Guess I'll need to call my supplier in the morning.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One of the things I really like about Hurt is how the meaning of the song changes depending on the singer, despite the same lyrics. Trent Reznor is singing about drug abuse and depression compounding on each other to ruin his life, Cash is singing about the horror of losing your identity and very life to old age.

A similar song like that is House of the Rising Sun, the version sung by the Animals is easily read to be about the patron of the House, which could be a brothel, gambling house, or opium den (or all three). But when sung by a woman (as was common in older folk versions), there’s an implication is that the singer works at the House, which is more clearly a brothel.

“There is a house in New Orleans,
they call the rising sun
And it’s been the ruin of many a poor girl,
And god, I know I’m one”

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought the Cash version was about alcoholism.

I wouldn't presume to say such an interpretation is wrong, but I'd base my interpretation of it being about age on a few things, that it was recorded seven months before his death, and that the music video was both a deliberate attempt to starkly depict Cash's own failing health, the derelict museum, the copious imagery of rotting food. The only actual lyrical change in the song being crown of poo poo to crown of thorns, the crown of thorns was what Jesus wore for the final days of his death. (Edit: also, "the needle tears a hole/the old familiar sting" is a line that makes sense in the context of drug use, in the Cash version though, I'd interpret it to be about the many times near death you might end up having your blood drawn, having medicine administered, having an i.v. line inserted or removed, etc.)

It also creates an interesting juxtaposition between the two versions, the chorus: What have I become?/My sweetest friend/Everyone I know goes away/In the end in Reznor's version refers to people distancing themselves from him, they go away in a literal sense, stop being his friend, whether that's due to the drug use driving them away or his depression causing him to retreat inward and shut them out. Whereas in Cash's version, it's more euphemistic, his friends are dead. You could even read the line slightly differently if you were so inclined: Everyone, I know, goes away/In the end.

I like Reznor's version, but I think Cash's cover resonates better, because it speaks to an experience every single one of us is going to have to face one day.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 3, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TACD posted:

It’s always been amazing to me that people can listen to music and understand the lyrics as they’re being sung. I have to stop and concentrate very hard to understand the lyrics in almost any music and even then I get it wrong a lot of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

It doesn't matter what I say
As long as I sing with inflection
that makes you feel I'll convey
some inner truth or vast reflection

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's partly age, but I think another large aspect of it is his younger, hard man of rock image, maybe regrets over certain aspects of the fanbase that built up around him, how they idolise him, and what they use his name for. If you take the needle in 'the needle tears a hole' repurposed as a record needle, and the crown of thorns as his reputation, it adds another layer.

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong - it's absolutely also about age and friends dying and regret, but I think there are certain aspects of it that really resonate being sung by such a huge name with such a complex reputation. There's just something very meaningful about the final 'what have I become' where he really opens the taps on his vocals.

I do have "I'm 14 and this is deep" nostalia over NIN's original but I think I prefer Cash's version.

I'd heartily endorse those additional layers of interpretations and fully agree.

Re: Leonard Cohen, fully agreed on the original version of Hallelujah being the best. I've always had more of a soft spot for Famous Blue Raincoat. I think it's a song that really grows on you, Cohen's voice can have a droning quality that put me off at first but have come to love.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do think it's a bit silly how much the "slow minor version of happy song" cliche is done these days, but I do have a soft spot for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcA--c2U4Wg

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lady Demelza posted:

Don't companies have a legal obligation to do the best thing for their shareholders? So if energy prices are rising and they didn't put up prices, they'd be damaging their shareholders' profits and opening themselves up to lawsuits?

From what I've heard this is somewhere between a convenient lie and a misleading half-truth; companies are supposed to act in the best interests of their shareholders but the breach of that notion is so narrowly defined that absent some actively reckless or flagrantly bad-faith action by company directors, it is near impossible to show that a business decision is acting against shareholders' interests. So long as you're not running the company into the ground you're basically fine on the legal front. Whether you'll maintain the confidence of the board of directors is another matter, but "If we didn't [do evil heinous thing] I might lose my bonus, get given my golden parachute and asked to move on at the next AGM" makes a Chief Executive sound a lot more personally culpable than "I have a legal obligation to [do evil heinous thing] or the shareholders can sue us".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Borrovan posted:

Finally, an infinite number of coaches arrive, each with infinite guests - same question? I actually can't remember the solution to this one, answers on a postcard

*for some

Every number has a unique prime factorisation, so each guest in each coach should proceed to their room, which is room 2^c x 3^n where c is their coach number, and n is their seat number. So the guest in seat 420 on coach 69 is in room 2^69 x 3^420. Hotel guests should presume they were in coach 0 when moving to the new room.

This solution does leave the vast majority of the rooms free though, there's others that occupy every room which I can't remember either.

EDIT: made solution slightly simpler

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 5, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Angrymog posted:

In the first case, can't you just move the last guest into the next room rather than moving everyone?

If this worked you could just send the new guest to the next room and move nobody at all, but the problem is that the hotel is fully occupied. The "next" room is already occupied, so you need to move them, so you need to move their neighbour, and so on. So in order to create a free room, you need to have every guest in the hotel move at the same time according to some mathematical operation to create a free room.

You could technically pick any arbitrary number and move everyone in a room number larger than that, though, it doesn't have to be room 1. You'd still be moving an infinite amount of people either way, though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Tim seems like a nice lad from his videos, and so long as he keeps whatever politics he has private I consider it no business of mine. I try to assume the best of people until they give me strong reason to think otherwise, and even if someone happens to imply they vote Lib Dem or En Marche or whatever, there's a difference between someone who does their politics once every few years at the ballot box and someone who tries to down twitter in their Dunning-Kruger hot takes.

Hell, even if he was a full FBPE (and I've got no particular reason to think he is), I'd still have to credit that he actually lives in Paris and speaks more than one language, which would put him a whole class above most FBPEs whose chief concerns seemed mostly "I was promised the End of History" and "I don't want a longer queue at the airport".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gonzo McFee posted:

tbh I don't know how anyone could have good politics if you're one of the chosen few who seem to have unlocked the infinate money cheat of being a successful youtuber, especially the ones where the whole gimmick is that they're out of touch weirdos with too much money. It seems like the most public way to have no loving clue whats actually happening.

Maybe, I should be glad my dad refuses to internalise that his channel that exclusively posts tutorials for electron microscope software is not going to suddenly take off.

On the other hand, I could do with having too much money. Hmm, does anyone know if youtube patched that glitch in their algorithm which ultra-promoted community polls?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, but they all vote Tory & those are the only votes Kieth wants

Nah, I think "more cops" is a generally popular policy, it was why it was one of the central planks in Labour's platform under Corbyn too. Most people, even most labour voters, don't go to protests and aren't minorities so they don't tend to see the true face of the state's enforcers, but everyone knows someone who was a victim of theft that the police did not lift a finger to help and hears stories about the police not helping when innocents are the victims of violence.

Almost everyone wants a societal force that can protect them from violence and help them get their stuff back when it's stolen. We're almost all trained from a young age to believe that's supposed to be what the police do, so the assumption that the reason it's not happening now is due to shortages of funding is a natural one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think I was maybe smacked once or twice as a kid by grandparents, I have some very, very vague memory of such, but I don't think my parents ever did even once. I do recall very vividly that my parents did the counting thing, where they'd count to five and there's some extremely vague and extremely awful consequence for getting to 5 that I suppose implied violence, but I don't recall ever finding out what dark future lay beyond the number 4.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The notion that there's nothing about our behaviour rooted in biology seems like a very hubristic and anthropocentric attitude. I don't have kids so I can't say whether I'd feel any violent impulse with my children, but I can say that as a human being I regularly feel involuntary impulses of varying intensities which I overcome through conscious thought. I don't see that the difference between us and other animals is that they display biological behaviours and we don't, it's that we have greater capacity to overcome biological behaviours through social conditioning and conscious discipline.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Casual reminder here that "When they go low, we go high" was the catchphrase of the Democrats in 2016, spoken by Michelle Obama and reiterated by Hilary Clinton. Thank god that committment to raising the tone of the debate successfully persuaded the American electorate not to vote for the ugly fake-tanned piss-soaked toad-knobbed child-molesting slovenly evil rapist *ahem* :decorum: Republican Candidate.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Haha the Greens just won first preferences for Langside ward in Glasgow (they were 4th last time). Seems like a big deal since that's the current council leader's ward.

That sounds like a great sign for the Greens in Glasgow, they were my first preference in my ward. I'm sort of both surprised and not, I don't think I've ever met a Glaswegian who thought the council was doing a good job, ever, and the failure of the SNP to change that perception may have left many SNP voters looking for other options?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TulliusCicero posted:

As someone from the US:

Was this result anticipated by polls or expected? I thought the Torries and Boris had pretty solid control due to your own insane boomer bloc?

An important note if you're unfamiliar and just looking at the English numbers and seeing 2213 labour councillors vs 1041 Conservative councillors, local elections in England work a bit like the Senate elections where only a portion of councillors are up for election in any given year. Some councils do their entire council every 4 years (but different years for different councils), while others have elections three years out of every 4 to re-elect a third of councillors--I think some also do half the council every 2 years. This particular election the seats up for re-election were much more prevalently Labour-held, so even though they finished a thousand seats ahead they only actually gained 51.

The Liberals did really well, but Local government is something of their specialty, and shouldn't necessarily be seen as something which will translate to seats at the national level. Lots of voters will happily vote for their Liberal councillor one year and vote Tory in the national election the year after.

I think a drop of 341 in England on the Tory side is probably a bit larger than most on their side were hoping for, but losing those seats to Lib Dems is way, waaaay less concerning for them than if they'd lost all those seats to Labour.

The other parts of the UK are all special cases, the closest thing to an upset might be the Tories losing second place to Labour in Scotland, but again on a national level won't make much of a difference since most of those seats would be going to the SNP at Westminster anyway.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I believe our pre-gate term was "X for Y". Cash for Questions, Cash for Peerages, Cash for Influence. In this sense, the UKMT of Spring 2022 continues this noble tradition in its Beer for Kier subtitle.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do recall having something kind of like gender dysphoria while I was going through puberty maybe for a period of a few months, I assume as a result of all the various sex hormones doing their things, so it's certainly possible to have those feelings and for them to eventually subside. I have no idea how common that is, based on my sample size of one.

It's ridiculous in the extreme and very clearly deliberately both inflammatory and offensive to phrase it as "I was trans and I grew out of it", though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

What is it even meant to be?

It’s Deepthroat, but with the word Red (Labour is red, you see) inserted cause our press has absolutely no originality whatsoever and is firmly in Read 👏Another👏Scandal👏 territory.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think there’s a night and day difference between “politician caught doing something wrong, owns up immediately and says sorry” and “politician caught doing something wrong, denies, denies, denies, only says sorry in a half hearted way once the evidence mounts up beyond credibility” personally.

As well as a difference between “wrong thing x happened as a result of inaction” and “wrong thing x happened intentionally”.

Ultimately what this particular incident was for Starmer we’ll have to see. But both Corbyn and Sturgeon both successfully made their breaches boring (which is the real killer of a scandal) with a “I definitely hosed up, and I’m sorry” admission immediately, so going full throated denial is a bold play unless Starmer is really really sure that this doesn’t even have the appearance of being against the spirit of the rules.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can no longer view tweets at all in unsigned in incognito window. That's since this evening :(
I do 'allow cookies' in the incognito windows when I am using them so not sure why it would do that, I mean how does twitter know it's an 'incognito' window and not just a cleaned up regular browser or even new browser window with no cookies etc yet? (Ed: ok I googled the bit about 'how does it know' and there's some stuff about the css files so I guess they can).

Can still see them in the unsigned regular browser window (though a bit of a scroll and they put the login screen up).

When it throws up the login/sign up screen, you can click "log in", then click the x in the corner, and it will let you keep scrolling. At least, that's working for me.

Though right now it looks like twitter is down generally.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I opened the forums in an incognito window so I didn't have to log out, how about that. :c00lbert:

The breakup thread is in E/N which is hidden to non-members.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

quote:

Is the pressure too much for Kate?
Palace staff recently reported a heated discussion between the couple, that they stumbled upon. The staff eavesdropped on their conversation where Kate expressed her unhappiness. As the site schlager.de reports, Prince William responded to her:
"When you married me, you knew what you were getting into!"

To which she is said to have replied:
"Maybe marrying you was a mistake."

After the argument, Kate packed her luggage and left for her parent’s house with her children. Apparently, everything is too much for them at the moment: the pressure and the expectations of the crown and the British population are weighing heavily on the couple.

Maybe I'm a fool but I doubt Oh!MyMag.de has an inside scoop at the palace that reports with quite this level of detail.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gort posted:

Cross-posting from the COVID thread:

So, cases in the UK seem to be dropping away (down to "only" a quarter-million currently infected) and I've started fantasising about COVID being "over" at some point in the future. What I haven't decided is when I'd consider COVID to be over - when would I feel comfortable acting like I did before COVID was a thing, going to the cinema, eating out in public settings, not wearing a mask on public transport, that sort of thing.

My vague finger-in-the-air thought is "COVID is over once less than ten people die of it every day" - I don't think we'll ever be truly free of it. What are other people's thoughts on when they'd count COVID to be "over"?

For me personally I am basically back to normal. It doesn't seem like the health service has much interest in pursuing further vaccination that will be given on a widespread scale, so the protection I have now against the disease is likely to be all the protection I will ever get (barring some future annualised vaccination program like flu where most of the uptake is among the elderly), and I don't believe I can go the entire rest of my life without getting the virus.

If your threshold is less than 10 deaths a day, what's your criteria for deaths? Died only from COVID, has COVID listed on the death certificate, or death within 28 days of a positive test? In England and Wales in 2018 there were ~1600 deaths from influenza, about 4 deaths a day, so if Covid recedes to become a seasonal virus like influenza we might hit a similar threshold if we do have a robust annual vaccine. On the other hand, if it's "COVID on the death certificate" you're looking at, consider that "deaths involving Influenza and Pneumonia" was ~29,500, about 80 deaths a day, and that might be a more comparable figure--it might even be the case that as COVID tails off we could see COVID deaths lumped into this number.

I'm not saying you're wrong to be more cautious than I am, but since we're no longer meaningfully trying to eradicate or supress the disease at the societal level it's now just a question of risk rather than considering the disease over. In my opinion it's not really a question of whether I get infected, just when. Which sucks, but if whether I get infected is not something I can actually change, I don't honestly care very much about when.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Beefeater1980 posted:

Only time I’ve ever seen someone get pushed out the door unceremoniously like that was when a sales colleague who was already on thin ice for bad decisions got angry with a customer who was closing too slowly, and started yelling first at them and then at the department head. Otherwise it’s always been “congratulations, now you’re on a Performance Improvement Plan.”

Theoretically could also be something wild like getting caught stealing trade secrets / spending company money without authorisation / watching porn at work. But instant dismissal is pretty risky for the company and pretty rare. And anyone leaving voluntarily usually has to give notice so it’s not that sudden.

E: Oh I forgot one, the general counsel of a company was sacked effective immediately because (as he tells it) the CEO ordered him to falsify records and he said no.

I volunteered for a stint offshore, and was rather worried to learn from my prospective new boss that "out here, we work hard and we play hard", my least favourite forms of those activities. Then the team had a massive drunken party where they trashed several hotel rooms the night before I flew out. So while I was on a plane the company was getting their ducks in a row to literally sack every single member of the team I was going out to work with, including the senior manager. When I got there it was surreal, there was one other staff member who had flown out the day before me (and so was on the plane while the party was happening) who landed to discover everyone acting super weird, and then getting a call from HR in the afternoon telling her she had to confiscate everyone's work IDs and personally escort every single one of her colleagues back to the hotel to pack their bags.

I landed the next morning, and just had a bizarre first day where I had a strange sense that asking where everyone what was going on would be a Bad Idea.

Back in the UK the staff were placed on leave pending an investigation. The company was mad enough to refuse their resignations so they could officially fire them for gross misconduct.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I've been thinking a bit about an interview Daniel Radcliffe gave many years ago where he mused that he'd recently been addressing huge crowds of adoring fans at an event in London and if at that moment he'd ordered them to march on the palace and install him as king they'd probably have done it.

Point being, whoever wants to be the next Lenin needs to get themselves into teen blockbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Question IRL posted:

History class in 40 years: To understand the background to the change in the British political system, you must first learn about the Marvel Cinematic Universe and how important it was in the early 21st Century.

I still believe that in 300 years a course on Western Political history in the early 21st century will begin with describing the various background topics that created a culture that could be primed for fascism, much like how the competing alliance networks, nascent nationalism, and imperialism finally running out of lands to conquer all formed the firewood that would burn in the Great War.

And then, just as the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was the match that set the 20th century ablaze, the course will recount that the spark that rekindled fascism in the 21st century was...a woman making a video game about depression. And so, the match that lit the tinder that created Donald Trump's Presidency in 2016 and the Hitlerbot War of 2054 was the question "Are video games art?"