Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably just a little bit of expectation management because they were polling >50%, I don't think the seat's in danger, but weird how bad weather is suddenly an issue, surely they've got loads of volunteers up there to get out the vote?

Didn't Keith shut down the volunteer wing of the party? Where would they get these volunteers from?

Labour won, which is a pretty neutral result. Fair play to the candidate: a nurse of 25 years and longstanding councillor in the area. But it's hard to see this as a positive considering this will be spun as Keith's loving awful leadership finally showing results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Some of those being charities seems more than a little suss, to put it mildly

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My MP is facing an all-members ballot to fight off re-selection this week.

It's odd; I wouldn't have said she's done anything particularly wrong, aside from being pro-Keith and generally very melty, but she was parachuted in by the NEC before the last election despite there being an ongoing candidate selection process at the time. So it's possible the CLP are just passive-aggressively telling her and the NEC to gently caress off and let us sort out our own.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 9, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm looking for a birthday present for my niece and came across something that made me laugh:

Sometimes it's nice to have a sensible chuckle.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

If 100 people were doing the quality of investigation she does, we might have better politics.

No, we wouldn't.
She can do her "quality of investigation" because her team is small and easily-ignored.
There isn't the financial backing to get 100x her team, because no newspaper wants to pay someone who can't poo poo out articles that are '50% scraping social media, 50% press release' seven times a day to meet print deadline.

And, crucially, any newspaper that did put their money where their mouth is would probably get raided by MI5 at the Government's behest.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

like so its pretty obvious where the money went then

and nah its leased

noone sensible buys a tesla

Just to check... you're aware that there are valid reasons no-one takes you seriously, right?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A couple of people in the department have had it in the last week or so and had it pretty bad.

I'm still masking up on public transport, despite fog-face. Plenty of people with nasty hacking coughs and I want no part of that, thankyouverymuch.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The list is far longer than drive-by poo poo-posting deserves.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Figure this might be a good place to ask.

My wife might be getting a new job soon where she has to manage a small team of ~5 people. Anybody know of any books or resources on how to be a good manager, as a leftist? Like, I know she's working within a power-structure which is inherently capitalist which is unavoidable, but basically we think it might be a good idea for her to read something on "how to be a manager" but want to avoid any right-wing bullshit.

E: Oh btw it's a union workplace AFAICT. Public Service Alliance of Canada - the union for government workers in Canada. They seem good at first glance, they are at least explicitly anti-privatisation.

What ThomasPaine said - "don't be a dick".
Personally, I get on very well with the two people I line manage at the moment, but I tried very hard not to treat them any differently than the person I had basically no relationship with (before she left*).
Being equitable is hard, and gets harder depending on how inflexible the organisation is willing to be with the rules, but if there isn't a good reason why person x can do something when person y can't - even if the reason can't be shared - it shouldn't happen.

* - the person who left was pretty useless, and combined with this with a near-pathological inability to actually tell anyone how she was getting on. Towards the end of her time with us, as we became aware of the scope of how bad her work was, Line Management became excruciating because I'd give her opportunities to share anything she wanted to talk about, ask open questions about her work - knowing full well that she was really struggling to do anything of any quality - and get "yeah, it's fine" as a response to almost every question.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I saw that and just assumed Dorries is too stupid to know how to answer her phone

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I do sometimes feel tempted to sign up for one of those "Hey, fancy being not posh/well-connected enough to be a Labour MP in the future" seminars, just to see how contemptible everyone else is.
Then I remember I don't give enough of a poo poo and go and have a wank or something

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Not even the internet can make someone as stupid as you

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

this has been my general impression of the city centre of glasgow, and given the general decisions by the city council over the last few decades it's probably not wrong. at least edinburgh has a park in the centre, even if it spends most of its time as a lovely Underbelly market or a horrible mud plain for weeks after the market leaves

also jesus christ i was hoping this was just some kind of hallucination from that time i listened to the podcast while recovering from a migraine but sadly they are still trying to build the thing

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/26/plastic-t-rex-vs-rare-beetles-disney-on-thames-plan-london-devastate-wildlife

Who are these morons who think that between Lakeside and Bluewater, there's space or demand for yet another loving shopping centre in the post-industrial wastelands of East way-past-Londonshire?
And not just that, but conference centres in Graves-shitfuckingdead-end? There are already thousands of people who think that Newham is too far adrift from London to warrant putting any effort into attending; who could they possibly be trying to attract? The scale-skinned swamp people of northern Kent?

It's truly loving magnificent that schemes like this can last more than 5 minutes without the highest-ranking official enthusiastically piledriving a "SCAM" red-ink stamp onto the front page several times and leaking the links to Russian/Chinese mobsters to whatever newspaper will take their calls. But the Tories are in charge, so :effort:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On a more thread-relevant note, have any Elden Ring-ers noticed that the Misbegotten look like Boris Johnson?

The hair is too neat, but otherwise I think it's uncanny.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I think she would snap in half at the lifting stage tbh.

As long as they've got the heating cranked up, she'd be fine

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Apraxin posted:

Government went from 'conversion therapy ban, we promise' to 'actually no ban after all lol' to 'actually actually we're banning it but it won't cover trans people' in the space of about two hours, jesus christ.

There seems to be a significant divide between MPs from the last couple of GEs and the rest of the cunts in the Tory party.
The more recent MPs seem to be - at least - vaguely aware of the kind of issues that regular people care about, while the more established MPs' domains of give-a-poo poo extend merely as far as whatever either Alexander de Pfeffel or Paul Dacre decide to give a poo poo about.

They're still cunts but, alarmingly, they're better than a fair few Labour MPs on some social issues.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

We're gonna need a bigger :irony:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I went for a nice walk by the GCR at the weekend, but I did not see any of the woke racist steam trains so I'm beginning to think that Nigel Farage may have just been talking poo poo :aaa:

I had a nice walk this afternoon, because my train broke down very conveniently at the station before the one I was due to get off at.
When the wind died down it was actually rather pleasant.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

happyhippy posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-61085282

LET THE ARSE LICKING APOLOGIZING BEGIN!

It's funny that the best "man of the people" they could find to kiss Boris' arse is Michael loving Fabricant.
I doubt there are many people in the Tories less in touch with reality than that prick.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

I'm still voting Labour even if they're eminently poo poo. It's either them stagnating us in poo poo, the Tories making things worse, or civil war. And I'm too old and fat for civil war.

Local Elections are coming up.
There's no reason not to vote with your conscience for these, since councils/Local Authorities have a pretty limited scope of actual influence these days.
Still, if Labour poo poo the bed hard enough, there's potential for a leadership challenge to follow. Keith isn't well-liked among Labour MPs - I get the feeling he's tolerated more than anything.
Which isn't to say that someone decent will get enough support to run against Keith, but I do believe there are enough decent MPs still inside Labour that Wes Streeting wouldn't get a clear run at the leadership.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

stev posted:

God help people who try to get on a bus without contactless

Honestly, god help half the people who try to get on a bus with contactless.

Admittedly, a bunch of them are people who can't afford the fare and are hoping the driver will just wearily wave them on anyway.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

stev posted:

It's the lack of remorse that gets me. They can't even muster up a proper pretend apology, just "I'm sorry if the plebs insist on being upset about my innocent little mistake UwU" over and over again. They just cannot comprehend how disrespectful and insulting it actually was to people.

It's because they've worked hard to get into a position where they are effectively above the law, so their only emotion is rage because how dare they still be subject to the law. There's no remorse because when you're as powerful as they are, how can you do anything wrong?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Physical chastisement generally doesn't work for a few reasons:

1a) If you're using physical chastisement because the child doesn't understand any explanation you could give, then they'll probably be so upset at the punishment that they won't be able to link it to the reason they're being punished
1b) there's too much time between the reason you're punishing them and the punishment itself, so they can't create a link between the two (behaviourist approaches do work, after all)

2a) The child could understand your explanation, but you decide not to explain, just to physically chastise them - the child doesn't learn why what they did was wrong, so they can't learn from it and change their behaviour
2b) you explain why what the child does was wrong and they understand, but you physically chastise them anyway because you're angry - because there's literally no other reason to do both - at which point the child probably forgets the reason and focuses more on the pain of the physical chastisement

3) Most child development is driven by children wanting to make adults - particularly their care-givers - happy. It's far, far better to praise 'good' behaviour than it is to punish 'bad' behaviour, if only because 'bad' behaviour can change quite wildly between different situations, but 'good' behaviour is more or less consistent across contexts

/\ /\ /\ /\
There are still a few other hold-outs wearing a mask when I get the train or tube, but the number sporting one has gone down significantly in the last few weeks.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was talking to someone in the week who's got Long Covid. She's late-20s at most, and has insomnia. Spent 3 weeks off work after having Covid because of the fatigue; is now back at work and really struggling.

It sucks, and it's basically a dice-roll as to whether you get that or the chill "gently caress yeah, i'm young fit and healthy so i can't catch covid" brainworms instead.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Birbalsingh has some appalling views.

I knew I recognised her, but couldn't immediately place who it was.

It's probably fair to say, though, that if you're a headteacher who has a face that's recognisable to a whole lot of people who've never been taught by you, you probably shouldn't be anywhere near a school. For a variety of different reasons.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've said it before, and I still think it's true:

The reason Labour are happy with the status quo is that the people in charge are doing really nicely out of it.
There's nothing about Tory policy that negatively impacts the kind of people who have power within the party. The most impactful pushback anyone gets against having poo poo opinions is when their acquaintances give them poo poo for it, but it's called the Westminster Bubble for a reason, and the party seems to mostly recruit upper-middle class cunts who are probably only friends with other upper-middle class cunts.

So you've got a party led by people who are doing just fine, and no-one they're obliged to listen to really gives a poo poo about the Tories wrecking the country.
I don't think Labour is ideologically wedded to the sort of policies they support; I just don't think they give a poo poo either way. Which is worse, imo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I love that they waited until after the election so Keith's fan brigade can't use the BUT IT'S AN ELECTION!!! card.

I hope he gets sent to jail rehab.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Who took that video through a window anyway?

Probably Mandelson, tbh

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tarnop posted:

Not sure why you think it would be bad, bleeding votes to the left must surely make Starmer's team reflect and-

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1522506778818326528

oh

If you presented this out-of-context, I reckon 90% of people would believe it's parody

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just saw that Lutfur Rahman won the Tower Hamlets mayoral election.

Something else to blame thank the Met for, since if they hadn't hosed up their investigation into him, he'd have spent time in prison and therefore been unable to hold public office again.

:ughh:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

I'm totally out of the loop on this, are there any good primers on what's going on in Tower Hamlets council? Some sort of single issue populist/anti-labour party. Twitter just spits out a lot of bickering and racism (heh ironic).

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1522989233606119424

It's a bit simpler than that.
Tower Hamlets has a large Bangladeshi community and Lutfur Rahman is Bangladeshi.
He's also been banned from holding public office in the past because in his previous time as Mayor, he his staff got up to all kinds of illegal election stuff that saw his right-hand-man get a prison sentence. Stuff like "Oh hey, old people, no need to post your postal votes, we'll drop them off for you; also we'll fill them in for you" and outright voter intimidation outside polling stations.

The police have an officer stand outside every polling station now, in response to the historical stuff.

Rahman was previously a Labour mayor; John Biggs (who a few people have told me is a bit of a oval office) spent quite a lot of time wanting to be the Labour mayoral candidate but was overlooked in favour of Rahman. He put a lot of effort into trying to get Rahman investigated and once Rahman was banned from politics, Biggs got the Labour candidacy and became Mayor.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 7, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

write-in Zarah S Gerry Adams

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tarnop posted:

Wes Streeting has a flying pyramid?

Weird but true.
It's not even the most interesting thing about him!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It feels like "believe women" was designed for a world in which attention-seeking centrist morons like Weetman were not a thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

The Tories should really be thanking their lucky stars that there are food banks because without them British society would probably collapse in about two weeks

The Tories don't consider the people who use food banks to be part of society, though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The private estates on the south-west of the Isle of Dogs between Westferry Road and the river - and the tall walls that denote their presence - actually improve the place because it means that islanders don't have to accidentally catch a glimpse of South London once in a while

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1525774823565172736

Trans women? I think you mean antisemitic Corbynites.

I reckon Rachel Riley needs a hobby.
That is, one that doesn't involve siccing her lawyers on people.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Spangly A posted:

There's a big difference between "you should simply do a judo and win" and "we don't care if you might get stabbed, you're wearing a vest, you incessantly talk about how dangerous the job is, and yet it is always on members of the public to take all the risk before a cop swoops in and executes a fully incapacitated attacker". Please understand: nobody is saying you should have superpowers. We think you should show more bravery and initiative than whatever cabbies, millwal fans, or ex-convicts happen to be in the area, and don't really trust specials will use the tasers lawfully in as much as half of all cases

Meanwhile Ive got a social worker friend who has joked that the time he got an edged weapon to his neck and disarmed the 13 stone 6ft teen with a stern reminder that killers don't need to show off to be one of his career highlights. He's worth ten thousand of any cop in England. Get a real job.

See also the people who work in Alternative Provisions (formerly Pupil Referral Units; the schools that kids end up at when they're excluded from their mainstream secondary school).
I doubt there are many staff who've worked in an AP for a few years who haven't had knives pointed at them, had to break up or stall a fight between rival gangs, had furniture thrown at them or been punched/kicked by a teenager. And I bet basically all of them have been sworn at in very uncreative ways on a fairly regular basis. The police would deal with this by taser-ing the young person, or piling on with a group of colleagues; the education staff don't have that option, so they either try to talk the young person down, or they give them the space to rage out and intervene when that young person has calmed down a bit.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bessantj posted:

I'm just glad the U.K. isn't a racist country.

Boy loses finger fleeing 'attack' at Abertillery school

Hopefully no-one from the school or local authority checks out the school's Wikipedia page for a while

Also, their report from Estyn from earlier in the year is going to look pretty loving stupid given they highlight the improvements made to pupils' behaviour.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

maybe stop being a weirdo about people's personal lives

If there was any point at which Boris and Carrie had tried to keep their personal lives private, you'd have a point. But they've basically waved them around like Boris' spare tires when he goes on a run or their children when Boris remembers they exist, so they're fair game, imo.

Also, Zac Goldsmith is a racist rich oval office. That doesn't relate to whether we should pry into his personal life, I just felt like typing it.