Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Look some pillock named Greg tried to live off of yellow sticker items and found it really hard.

https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1498636200458039298

Apparently man cannot live of yellow sticker items alone. But a couple in your weekly shop is alright. Yeah, cheers Greg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

BUT CORBYN

Now you be a good MP or the Corbyn will eat you all up!

OwlFancier posted:

I rescued a dog today so that is my productive thing done for the next month or so.

Well isn't that a lovely thing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

My parents still have a faint Welsh accent but when they get on the phone to a relative you can almost plot the (time on call / accent strength) on a chart.

My father came from the Rhondda and moved to Newport early in his adult life but never lost his accent but when he was speaking to his family or speaking a bit of Welsh it definitely got stronger.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Went to work yesterday after having a tooth removed, not the smartest thing I've ever done.

Speaking of not smart things. On the weekend a gang on the night shift said they'd been forced to work 13 hours because they'd worked from 8pm to 9am. No amount of explaining about the clocks going forward would move them. Still, 12 hour shifts are poo poo and can gently caress off.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finally someone who wants the criminals to pay back to society with I dunno, some sort of service to the community maybe.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

Ready Brek, fancy stuff. Like bloody holiday camps modern prisons are.

I remember breakfast being cereal or muesli and then a special treat on the weekend, beans on toast.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If the supermarkets don't buy these beetroots then they should be ashamed, British beetroots for British people!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

All this talk of learning to drive. I haven't driven for nearly a decade but really want to get back into it. Has anyone ever had some type of refresher lesson to get their knowledge/confidence back up?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Most driving instructors will do those with you for the same rate as normal lessons (since it's the same time used). It's not an uncommon request they get - fairly common, especially from people who learnt to drive abroad and have moved to the UK.

I need to research my local driving instructors. Owning a car is so expensive but at the moment I'm working a lot and a car would be a huge advantage.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crankit posted:

Everyone should drive buses its really fun.

One of the reasons I want to get back into driving is so work will put me down as a driver and i can drive the transit vans around.

serious gaylord posted:

My wife did that after a decade of not driving. Would very much recommend.

Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear that it works.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

God almighty I can actually feel my soul trying to crawl out of my ears to get away from this broken world:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/apr/18/piers-morgan-compares-himself-nelson-mandela-free-speech

It's amazing how this man keeps landing on his feet, I don't think he's ever had something interesting to say.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

He slathers himself in his own feces professionally, not enormously surprising that people will pay him to do that.

These people are ill.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Flayer posted:

Can't wait for Kieth to whip to abstain on the Johnston liar vote

He can't be seen to be 'playing politics'.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

haakman posted:

Just watched BJ in the Commons.

I'm usually a lurker (I think I've posted 10 times since 2011). My dad died of Rona on 19th June 2020, coincidentally the same day of one of the parties. I was allowed to see him wearing full PPE and through a window for the majority of the time. He wasn't ventilated (he was a walking co-morbidity) but it was not a good death - I've been left with images which will stay with me for the rest of my life, despite 2 years of therapy. We had 8 people at the funeral - we couldn't invite all of his brothers and sisters, as there are 13 of them.

I know, rationally, that this party stuff is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, given the cost of living crisis and climate change gigafucking us like a 1st run on Radahn, but it makes me so angry - I genuinely think anyone who votes for the Conservatives is a monster, regardless of whether it is through ignorance or malice now (whereas before I may have given them some leeway for ignorace). gently caress the lot of them, I wish only bad things on them (I'd eat a probe for saying what I really think at the moment).

Just an anecdote about why this party stuff might matter to a lot of people I guess.

I'm very sorry about the events surrounding your father death.

I do think Johnson and co lying about the party is very consequential in the grand scheme of things because if they'll lie about something so apparently inconsequential can we trust them on anything? On the really big things that matter to everyone? No we can't and if we let them get away with this then they can get away with anything.

1+3=4 I'm sure that's important to numerologists somehow.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My parents weren't people who smacked their kids. None of my sisters ever got smacked and I think my brothers has less than a handful of smacks between them. I was given a smack a couple of times as a kid. The second time I was 13 and my mum couldn't hit me hard enough to hurt me so I really didn't care. When I was 17 my dad and I got into a proper fist fight that ended with us rolling on the floor, my dad getting me around the throat and me about to put a thumb in his eye before we realised how hosed up the whole thing was. He took me down the pub and bought me a few drinks as a sort of apology.

Also:

British PM Johnson signals visa flexibility with India to win trade deal

quote:

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson indicated he was ready to offer more visas to India in return for this year clinching a free-trade deal that could boost annual bilateral trade by billions of pounds.

Speaking on the plane on his way to the world's second-most populous country, Johnson signalled he was ready to be more accommodating on an issue that could have stalled the talks.

Those people that voted for Brexit to keep out the immigrants must be jumping on their hats.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

peanut- posted:

I can't find them now but there was some stats shared on Twitter the other day showing non-EU migration under the new visa system is going through the roof.

Intentionally or not they have created a system that is pretty open to "skilled" migrants. I'd guess they're trying to balance the demands of Brexit voters with the actual economic need for migrants by being visibly ultra-tough on illegal immigration/asylum and making EU citizens gets visas, while being low-key quite open to legal migration.

There's bound to be a bunch of "Oh legal immigration is alright, it's illegal immigration that I'm against." But plenty must still be against immigration of any type, unless it's very rich people.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Victory for the workers everyone!

I'm working a few hours away from home on a 16 day blockade. The core gang were given a half decent hotel with a food allowance. Meanwhile additional workers such as myself were put in a worse hotel, with no food allowance and nowhere around to buy food apart from a Burger King and Waitrose in a petrol station.

Anyway everyone complained including the core gang that this was unfair and, after the first block of work, we wouldn't be going back to work until this was changed so everyone was in the same type of hotel and had food allowance. All us additional workers have been moved into the better hotel and have a food allowance!!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Excellent.
"World class", in fact.

I'm happy with it.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What are you blockading?

The rails. Working in a SSSI area which is a little exciting for me because we have to do things in a different way as there are rare animals around. Sadly most of the other workers couldn't care less about them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

therattle posted:

Huh. Never heard of or seen it. I like it.

It's the future today, baby!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Surely not even that many people actually care about Piers Morgan.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hello UKMT goons, are you or anyone you know unemployed?
Do you/they lust after a job that will just butcher their/your quality of life?
Where your loved ones will be annoyed at the fact you'll be working away from home for weeks at a time?
To work in a job where the pay isn't great but the work is hard?
Where you'll work for 4 weeks straight from 6am-4pm the suddenly have to work from 10pm-8am?
That when you suggest this will cause fatigue you will be looked at with derision and told that you have atleast 24 hours off and that fatigue is your problem to deal with?
That you'll work 6 days a week knowing the money you earn on one of those shifts will be taken by an umbrella company?
Where you can work in blistering heat shovelling ballast or in the dead of night at -2 in the driving rain shovelling ballast?
Where racism and misogyny is common?

Then get your PTS and get on the rails, there's a shortage of workers and tons of work on at the moment. Just think, you to could be working 4 hours away from home, staying in the finest 2* hotel your company can legally get away with, spending money on poor quality food because hey, you're here to earn money not spend money all the while working on a project that seems to have been planned by a gibbon flinging its poo poo at a board!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not yet but I've got somewhere between 6 weeks and 3 months left in me before I have a major meltdown and quit my job -

Well if you end up burning your place down remember that they typically don't ask about criminal records when joining the rails.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Some bad news for British nazis

Nazi Alex Davies guilty of fascist group membership

quote:

It was put to Davies in court: "You are a neo-Nazi, yes?"

He replied: "Sure."

Stunning defence.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Nowhere near the best quote

Going to be honest, I didn't want to read his analysis.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Nothing but flags from here on out, bitch!

https://twitter.com/josephmdurso/status/919929409670434816

e: In 216CE, the prophet Mani of Manichaeism is supposedly born and this is either entirely good or entirely bad.

Amazing, looks like something from "The Day Today"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Real life James Bond here

MI5 agent used secret status to terrorise girlfriend

quote:

Evidence shows that he is a right-wing extremist with a violent past.

At home, his violence was directed towards Beth. In one video, the MI5 agent is seen attacking her with a machete.

The incident was filmed by Beth on her mobile phone. In the lead-up to the attack, she is heard voicing concern about being killed and saying his treatment of her was unacceptable.

X states he will kill her, leaves the room, and returns holding a machete - which he then raises above her head.

When she is heard telling him the film could be handed to police, X launches an attack with the weapon and his fists. The video cuts out amid her screams.

The police did not take a full statement from Beth or obtain the video of her being attacked. The CPS quickly discontinued the prosecution.

The police force concerned and the CPS insist the case was discontinued due to lack of evidence.

While she was there, items of hers that had also been seized by counter terror officers were returned to a member of her family by a man who did not identify himself. The relative assumed the man was an associate of X. Neither Beth nor her family knew of the terrorism investigation.

The family were disturbed by this visit - concerned about how the stranger knew the address and came to have Beth's possessions.

I know it shouldn't be it still stuns me the amount of people in this country that are disposable.

Job Chat: I walked out of a British Gas job, was one of the most satisfying experiences of my working life.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finally bought Marx's Capital, I did not bank on it being nearly 1,000 pages.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm just glad the U.K. isn't a racist country.

Boy loses finger fleeing 'attack' at Abertillery school

quote:

AN 11-YEAR-OLD boy had to have one of his fingers amputated after he hurt his hand while attemping to flee an alleged attack by a group of bullies in school.

Shantal Bailey claims her son Raheem had suffered "racial and physical abuse" as well as other forms of bullying since he started at Abertillery Learning Community last September.

Matters came to a head earlier this week when her son "called me in tears... saying that he's being bullied", Ms Bailey said, adding that a teacher had allegedly threatened to put Raheem in detention "despite him being the one that’s getting picked on".

She said she went to the school on Monday and spoke to staff, who "reassured [me] that everything would be handled by the Tuesday morning".

But the following day, Raheem was allegedly "attacked and beaten" by a group of children during morning break time.

"He was pushed to the ground and then repeatedly kicked," his mum said. "Consequently, Raheem made a desperate attempt to leave the school grounds in order to escape the situation."

While trying to flee, Raheem caught his finger in a fence, "causing the skin to strip and the finger to break in half", Ms Bailey said.

Initially, when the school told Ms Bailey about her son's injury, she alleges they "told me that the ambulance wouldn’t arrive for two hours, but advised me not to drive Raheem to A&E myself".

He was eventually taken to a minor injury unit and the family was then told he would require surgery at another hospital.

Ms Bailey said they then spent "five hours waiting for an ambulance to transfer us" to Swansea where doctors said Raheem could lose his finger.

"I had to explain this to him while he sat there in agony," Ms Bailey said.

"After six hours of surgery to save it, which was ultimately unsuccessful, his finger had to be amputated," she added. "From the day of the incident until now Abertillery Learning Community have not reached out to me to check on his well-being."

Ms Bailey said she had reported the matter to the police. Raheem is now recovering after his operation but he remains in "a lot of pain", his mother said.

A spokesperson for Abertillery Learning Community said: “We are currently working closely with Gwent Police and the local authority to establish the full details of the incident.

"The well-being and safety of our pupils and staff remains of paramount importance. We will not be commenting further at this time.”

Gwent Police confirmed it is investigating the incident, after receiving a report on Wednesday.

A spokesperson for the force said: “We received a report of an incident at a school in Abertillery around 1pm on Wednesday, May 18 where an 11-year-old boy was injured.

"A multi-agency meeting has taken place and we’re working with the school as part of our ongoing enquires.”

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I had a look at the hashtag for monkey pox on twitter, just a huge, huge mistake.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

stev posted:

So at this point everyone involved in the investigations was either colluding with No 10, complicit in the collusion or straight up ignoring evidence? Cool cool.

It's like the first thing this government has done competently.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mourning your mother 10 months before she dies? That's the act of a true pessimist.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I recently watched his new special and it's really strange because at the start he says some jokes that are based around anti-trans talking points. Then he goes on to say it's all parody and you shouldn't get offended etc... etc... But in the show all his trans jokes are based around anti-trans talking points. So I wonder how many anti-trans jokes do you have to say before you go past the point of parody/irony and are just anti-trans? or anti-gay or racist?

He also tells anti-religious jokes, does that mean he is actually religious and a supporter of people's religion? Because he seems to just shrug at any criticism and say "it's all parody."

Also I have never, never heard another comedian laugh at their own jokes as much as Gervais. Nobody finds Ricky Gervais funnier than Ricky Gervais. Sometimes I think the only reason people laugh is because he's laughing and it's kind of infectious.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 25, 2022

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

quote:

cafe for the elderly modelled on an air raid shelter

Why would you want to model a place on one of the most terrifying and depressing times in peoples lives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

None of them have ever been down one. :ssh:

But I'm sure they understand the basic facets of world war II and how poo poo it would have been and all that. It's like having a restaurant modeled after the houses of parliament people understand that it is not a place of honor, that no highly esteemed deed is commemorated there and nothing valued is there.