Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Bad OP.

It's missing 4 key things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jjjs5jEz4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43HCYSXZ9GI

There, now it's fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

McLaren own

Do they ever OP!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
When do they do the Show-and-tell? Is it televised at all?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Is the new PLC squad any good?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Pragmatica posted:

lmao this video for the title song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_Gtwdnp1Q

hahahahaha this sport is moving toward maximum silly

This song is kind of a jam, actually.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Residency Evil posted:

Mercedes is just sandbagging like always right guys?

:ohdear:

The sandbags will come off on Sunday around 2pm

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

First The Eagles, and now Dire Straits?

yikes.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

marshalljim posted:

After all these years, will Sir Lewis be able to handle driving an also-ran of a car? Could make for some tense radio exchanges and Instagram sabbaticals.

Lewis is going to flounder around in the midfield and then retire. And then Mercedes will leave the sport in disgrace and all of the Merc shills will jump on the next band wagon team. Probably Red Bull.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

If Christian Horner moved to McLaren I would actively wish for the downfall of the papaya boys

The Papaya boys would leave the sport rather than be managed by horny horner

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

your friend wicka posted:

Here is the official list of teams and drivers you are allowed to support in the 2022 FIA Formula One World Championship:

McLaren
Carlos "Chili" "My Friend" Sainz Junior
Poois Shamilton
No

Seb
Charles
Mick
Yuki
Lando
Alex Albon

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Imagine supporting Lance Stroll.

:canada:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
- McLaren need to fix their brake issues. The car is under-steering really badly and they can't get the rotation out of it. It's literally the first quali of race 1. They have plenty of time to fix it.
- lmao Mercedes. Just lmao. Please get worse.
- Even bigger lmao. https://twitter.com/racefansdotnet/status/1505248718139838469
- Good job scud boys, your biggest hurdle now is Jock Clear.

Theophany posted:

you're telling somebody who put 'tifosi' as their religion on their census form about 'true conviction' smdh

You've been shilling Hamilton and Mercedes for years. "true conviction" my rear end.

[edit] Riccardo needs to get his poo poo together, or just replace him with Piastri.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 19, 2022

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

boop the snoot posted:

I very clearly put a clause in there that said "until they fix their issues" smh if you wanna be a good steward of the papayas maybe you should learn to read

Sounds pretty fair weather to me.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

ethanol posted:

Praying for our Lewis

Praying for him to retire in disgrace

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Forza Ferrari! Molto Bella!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

EngineerJoe posted:

Was the palmer feed any good? I bailed on it after a few minutes.

It's not as good as PLC, but it's so much better than listening to Fartin' Bumdle and Crofty scream incoherent nonsense like a couple of howler monkeys.

I went back and re-watched the last like 5 laps of the race from Norris' camera and the pit wall were telling him to coast through turns to cool the car down like every other lap. I think McLaren hosed up the cooling system in addition to their brakes.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 21, 2022

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

harperdc posted:

so is the Palmer feed an 'international English' one instead of using the Sky feed? Interesting.

Palmer feed is the default on F1TV, "international" is the sky feed.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I am ok with Ferrari winning the WDC/WCC this year. They’re allowed to have it once every 15 years or so.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This was my first F1 race. I recently started listening to the Shift+F1 podcast so I wasn't entirely overwhelmed. It was a lot of fun!

I picked one team to follow based on two scientific factors: I wanted to like the livery, and I wanted to root for a middle-tier team so I'd pay more attention to the entire field during a race. This means I went with Alpha Tauri. When Gasly's car went up in flames I knew I made the right call. They did manage to get some points, and I was surprised by how invested I felt as Tsunoda made his way into the top ten.

I'm definitely hooked. The presentation was great, even if I wanted more top-down shots of the broader field. I guess that's one of the reasons people sign up for F1 TV.

Welcome to the thread!

First off you should get a primer on the thread for people to ignore:

1. Ferrari supporters. They're happy for now because they won, but it'll only take a few bad Jock Clear calls before they start throwing the racial epithets around. Ferrari throwing away championships due to incompetence is as inevitable as the sunrise. You hope for them to do well regardless because at least it's not Mercedes.

2. Mercedes supporters. Easily the most tedious of the bunch. Medcedes has dominated the sport for the last 7 years and gifted Lewis Hamilton 6 of his 7 WDC's. Because of this, this group believes Lewis to be the 2nd coming of christ just because he can open DRS and pass the entire field on the straight. They're all very quiet now because Mercedes has been fairly mediocre lately, but they're a good team so by the European leg of the season they should be back near the front. Mercedes has ruined the sport for the better part of a decade. You'll see this group throwing around a lot of asterisks like a bunch of entitled Karen's because they're still salty about something that happened 3 months ago.

3. Red Bull supporters. Lmao there aren't any. Christian Horner is a bad person, Helmut Marko is a nazi, and Max Verstappen has the personality of someone who has suffered child abuse. The only cool person in the RBR organization is Adrian Newey, but he doesn't come on camera anymore. [EDIT] Checo Perez is also cool af. And is more deserving of a WDC than Minimum Vercrappen.

4. McLaren supporters. The most popular team with the best looking car. McLaren supporters are the most level headed and good looking of the bunch. The car has some major technical flaws this year and it's not super quick but we know the lads will figure it out.

Everyone else: This thread is largely a cesspit from categories 1 and 2, but the occasional chats with everyone else are what make this thread ok.

You picked a good first team with Alpha Tauri. Pierre and Yuki are good lads, and the team is consistent enough to stay in the midfield, but competent enough that if the race gets wild they can pull out a surprise good result. The red bull connection is unfortunate, but it is what it is. If you're looking for a number 2 team to root for I suggest Alpine or Williams.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 22, 2022

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Good lads, but they've gotta stop Danny from filling the cars with biltong and koala blood.

Danny before every race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Myssu posted:

This thread primer disgracefully fails to mention anything about the important topics of air fryers and cast iron cookware.
The thread primer is strictly about posting groups to avoid. Air Fryer and cast iron chat must come about organically. You have to let it wash over you like a warm summer breeze.

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

This clown didn’t even mention Checo, WDC of our hearts.
Oh right I forgot about Checo! I will edit my post.

ilmucche posted:

This poster is an alpine/renault supporter fwiw

Alpha Tauri and Alfa Romeo are cool and good, but Haas is where it's at now that mazepin got screwed in maximum hilarity fashion

The French are cool and Alpine is cool :colbert:

My support ramp looks like this:

1. McLaren
2. Alpine
3. Aston Martin
4. Williams

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Theophany posted:

This is now officially the 2022 Scuderia Ferrari Formula One Appreciation thread, if you want to talk about gross shades of orange and mediocrity please vacate to another thread and vomit amongst yourselves, tia

Ferrari.gif

https://i.imgur.com/lPf85oA.mp4

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Theophany posted:

Buncha butthurt shitlords itt with their wives' boyfriends' cum on their face getting very annoyed about the Scud Buds enjoying caprese salad and good wine, smdh 🤌🤌🤌

So is she staying married then?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Immolat1on posted:

Ferrari seems to have by far the best acceleration out of corners, some sort of illegal traction control engine mode??? Watch this space for a protest

Also it seems clear from the onboards that Max* and Checo's engines failed in the exact same way (and unrelated to Gasly?) but the engineer seems pretty genuine in not knowing wtf is going on. You'd think if it was fuel or mgu or whatever they'd see something? What the heck happened to those engines?????

the drivetrain doesn't lock up because the engine runs out of gas. Those engines went kaboom in a big way.

Thanks Ants posted:

All the people at McLaren are cool and good, as are their fans

:hmmyes:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Hot Karl Marx posted:

im so glad TSN in Canada plays commercials during the races, definitely doesnt make me Extremely Mad when they cut to them at the worst loving times

F1TV Pro works in Canada and is totally commercial free.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cimber posted:

I was thinking of getting a Tesla

Tesla’s are poorly built and Elon Musk is a dickhead.

Theo I was very close to buying an S7 and then a friend convinced me to get BMW instead. I regret my decision everyday.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

refleks posted:

Could be worse, you could be Mike Krack who left BMW for Aston Martin this season...

He could turn that place around. He couldn’t be worse than Paddy Lowe ruining Williams.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Theophany posted:

Which BMW did you get in the end?

440xi Gran Coupe M Performance.

I wanted a 4 door AWD sedan with a liftgate in the style of the S5 and the S7. I looked at the S5 originally but it didn't feel different enough from the S4 plus the twin turbo V8 in the S7 was very enticing. So then I started shopping around for S7's and it turns out that they depreciate so fast that you could pick up 2 year lease returns for pennies on the dollar. A 2 year old car is still brand new no matter how much you beat on it (especially around here).

So I was shopping around S7's trying to find one with the packages I want when a friend of mine turned me onto this BMW. It was a 4 door AWD sedan with a liftgate like I wanted, it didn't have as much power as the S7, but BMW specific ODB tools are much easier to acquire than anything made by VAG and the power that can be achieved with an intercooler and tune would put there close enough that it wouldn't make a difference. But the biggest selling point was that it was an M Performance edition. BMW only makes about 500 2, 3, 4 series a year as M Performance cars and to find one that was also an x drive gran coupe was probably even rarer.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Quizzlefish posted:

I really want the

:nws: Hyundai ioniq 5 :nws:

My next car will be an EV. I'm waiting for someone to make an EV AWD sedan with 400km range and 400ish hp for less than 100K that isn't a Tesla.

Closest I've found so far is a Polestar 2.

italian quid posted:

I'm never buying anything electronic that's Korean

Why?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/18/936268845/apple-agrees-to-pay-113-million-to-settle-batterygate-case-over-iphone-slowdowns
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/13/updating-to-ios-10-is-bricking-some-iphones-and-ipads/
https://www.theverge.com/2012/2/17/2807511/apple-settles-antennagate-class-action-lawsuit-15-or-a-bumpercase-for

I'm never buying anything electronic that's American.

Khablam posted:

Should have bought an M5 mate.
The modern M cars are too far up their own rear end. I liked them better when they were basically sleeper cars that were a badge and a small trim piece away from being the standard 3/5-series. The modern ones call so much attention to themselves with the bulging hoods and stripes everywhere and the constant obnoxious loud overrun noises they make. gently caress that.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Should have bought a CT5-V Blackwing.

They only very recently brought the CTS-V Blackwing to Canada. But if it was an option at the time I would've put it on my shortlist.

tuo posted:

BMW i4 M50

I mean, yeah, it‘s a „Grand Coupé“, but it‘s close.

New BMW's are ugly as gently caress. My one is from the year before the stupid grille when they still looked decent.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

There's no way you could ever convince me to buy a Miata after owning an old RX7. Mazda may have good vehicle dynamics but their build quality is garbage as a result.

This. My first 2 cars were RX-7's.

The first one was an FB and the rust was so bad that the rear suspension collapsed and the driveshaft would rub against the body. Still it was so much fun to drive that I bought an FC with an engine so shot I had to pull the bottom plugs and pour in a spoonful of oil just to get it to start. I thought it was the apex seals because lol rotary but when I finally pulled it apart the housings and rear irons had massive gouges in them and at that point it was new engine time so I dumped it for cheap.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It seems like 80% of the vehicles sold in North America now are pickups and SUVs/crossovers

It is very sad that every single new EV coming out in North America over the next two years is either a truck or a crossover.

Theophany posted:

Ha, the 440i GC was one I dailied for a few weeks when I was trying to make my mind up, not the xDrive or M Performance though. It's a sweet ride but something about it just didn't gel with me, maybe because it was RWD it didn't feel quite as planted on the road. That twin scroll straight six is an absolute peach of an engine though.

Yeah, I get that. It's a nice car to drive and the engine is top notch, but (in my case anyways) between the CF front splitter crashing against every slight bump in the road and the very heavy steering with what feels like short travel suspension I don't feel as comfortable in this as I did my old A4. I find I worry much more about if I'm damaging the car than I ever did in my Audi.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 23, 2022

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

You can't buy a standard Golf in the US and Canada anymore.

Only the GTI and Golf R. You can still get a base model Jetta though. Bring the ID.3 to North America.

Full Collapse posted:

Ford “Mustang” Mach-E

Is a crossover.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

just lmao if you complain about heavy steering but don't actually drive a car without power steering.

lol, this is some powerful Alberta brain.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

I'm a bus/bike wanker and oh wow do we need the driving lesson and test infrastructure back up and running. The 17-20 year old who should have been driving already need to gently caress off or SHUT THE gently caress UP on the bus at 8am.

football chanting, there is god drat football chanting at 8am on a monday morning.

Pros to living in the UK:
- Penguins
- Hula Hoops
- Prawn Cocktail Walkers
- The bread is really good for some reason?
- All of the cool euro cars that you never see in North America
- the tank museum

Cons to living in the UK:
- like everything else, lmao what a shithole

[edit] I forgot another pro: McDonald's has a curry McNugget dipping sauce and it's loving insane how good it is.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 24, 2022

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

nawilo_420 posted:

lol this is one of the more insane yank opinions i have ever seen on this forum, but not surprising coming from a country where the "bread" is also pre-packaged in plastic like in the uk

Not American so first of all, how dare you. :colbert:

Second I make my own bread in a cast iron dutch oven.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

SIR Lewis Fashion Update

Lewis starting the Ferrari mind game early.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
It's looking like I'll have to go to the bad and fail nation of the UK in the summer. Does SkySports F1 come with a normal sky sport sub? or do I have to tell my family to buy it separately?

[edit] Actually wait, does F1TV work on VPN?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Theophany posted:

If you're staying near Bell End in Worcestershire give me a shout for a beer.

But yeah Sky Sports F1 is included with the sports package and I'm pretty sure F1TV is VPN dumb.

Most of my time will probably be split between Leicester and Wolverhampton but I'm going to rent a car this time so if I end up somewhere around there I'll let you know.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Residency Evil posted:

On a completely unrelated note: is there an easy way to get Apple TV working with a VPN?

There's kind of no easy way to do this without some sort of proxy or enterprise/open source firewall, but if you have a firewall/router that's not basically a toy, you can setup the VPN tunnel on the inside edge and then make a routing policy so that any traffic to/from the IP address of your Apple TV goes out the VPN tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Plex is pathetically easy to setup and the broadcast episodes of Top Gear are "out there"

[edit] GeoDNS is bad and doesn't even work for the applications it was designed for.