Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There’s little grey boxes to the right of the timing tower graphic that show a “P” and they are basically illegible on live coverage. Bet they looked great on the mock-ups though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels like first practice of the season in new cars is going to be very technical so not surprised they have Sam on the main channel.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Putting the unreadable driver numbers in the timing tower graphic instead of the team logos is certainly a choice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lol imagining Mazepin making it to Q3.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, that was a very fancy video of the drivers and cars that didn’t show Ricciardo. Wonder if they use that all season lol

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Given I never watched the Pit Lane Channel because I liked my race video full screen, I think this is a good thing?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The helmet cam on this night race just feels like an arty indy movie with lens flares everywhere.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Both Haas in the points right now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

McGuinty posted:

Best 2 anthem combo in sport

Don’t hear the Monaco anthem very much.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

8 PM night race in UTC-8 is 4 AM in the UK? Did I do that right?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It eventually catches up with you if you don’t score any goals.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don’t like sad Hamilton.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels like they heard complaints about the graphics and said “fine, we won’t even give you graphics.”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I liked the part where they compared Verstappen’s time to 10th instead of 1st. Super useful that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Theophany posted:

I'd imagine the g force sensors will mean he has been told to stay in the car until he is cleared by the medical crew, i doubt you guys need to do so much hand wringing.

Normally you get “are you ok?” audio immediately. Never realized how much good that does.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, visiting the UK from the US and it’s impressive how little stuff is in the F1TV app. Basically same race content as YouTube. Not even the full F2 race.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dynamite Dog posted:

Australia 1996 - Skip. Yes, Martin Brundle killed someone. If you watch the broadcast this weekend you will likely hear about this no fewer than 3 times. None of these drivers will be remotely familiar outside of a few people's fathers.
Killed someone?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So, “fuzzy logic”, is that a real thing? Or is it just using a microprocessor to run an algorithm instead of just some simple thermostat switch?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Took them an awful long time to cut from the midfield to the front runners when Max started getting close. And then they cut back to the midfield immediately after the pass.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not sure what the point of that KMag gamble was when you are already starting in fourth? Even if Charles and Max have tire degradation on the softs, don’t think the Haas is passing them. Instead they lost a bunch of points places for the GP start that are going to be hard work to make up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ArmZ posted:

they put him on hards at the end lmao

Is there any possible world where running on hards made sense?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone know why the start / finish straight at Imola has a random chicane they don’t use?

https://goo.gl/maps/hTWUhzexGp1362yFA

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think those are used when motorcycles race there.

Ah yes, thanks. I didn’t notice that on the Wikipedia page but it is labeled as “moto” on the course map. I couldn’t think of a reason you wouldn’t need the starting boxes but a motorcycle race is certainly one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imola_Circuit

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I imagine it’s got to be hard to find places for the paddock and main grandstands on any new street circuit in a real downtown. Las Vegas is unusual because there are empty lots a block away from the strip.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did they put any elevation in the Miami track or is it literally flat?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

daslog posted:

in 2 years, give or take 20 years.

One of the reasons F1 is kind of working in America is that there are no commercials. Once they sell the rights for real money and we starting getting in race commercials it will go back to normal.

Best case, they sell the US rights to one of the streaming platforms with $$$ like Apple or Amazon and there are no new ads but we lose F1 TV Pro.

Worst case, ESPN plus ad breaks (or insets) and there is no cheap streaming option and we lose F1 TV Pro.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

F1tv was great with the PLC but they butchered it and now its not worth the money unless you have no other way to watch and even then…

Seems like the three US options are F1TV Pro, cable with ESPN, or some random stream on Reddit.

One of those is definitely the cheapest and easiest if you don’t watch other sports.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

In that drone video, did I see that part of the track goes under the highway on ramp??

Yeah it goes under the turnpike ramps and then has to squeeze into a tiny space at the top right of the property for the beginning of the long straight. It’s a bit bonkers they fit it all in.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KMag actually holds the fastest lap record at Singapore, somehow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Grand_Prix

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also, the Netflix crew only embeds with certain teams each race, and then that helps drive what narrative they end up using.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They have some “Miami GP Opening Party” live on YouTube right now, it’s awful.

Poor W Series drivers in matching purple and yellow outfits.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Vettel has a t-shirt that says “Miami 2060: first Grand Prix under water”.

https://twitter.com/gpnmemes_/status/1522007603760427008?s=21&t=ebFoeRPzdw359GJMOUmRjg

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They rented yachts, trucked them out, put them on stands, and built a fake water surface 4-5 feet above the ground.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Think I read something about how the slow section is partly because the on-ramp is too low and if the cars are going too fast it’s not safe. Like if someone got launched they could hit it which would be very bad.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wasn’t that also resurfaced before practice? There was a big dark section on one of the turns.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently the GA tickets are awful for this race and you can’t see anything, which is not that surprising given the lack of any elevation.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Who was getting interviewed alongside Jacque Villeneuve?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

refleks posted:

Montoya and Willy T. Dibbs (the most american driver's name I have ever heard)

Thanks! Didn’t recognize the American guy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dirk Pitt posted:

This new guy on F1TV sucks really bad. Please fire him.

Is it the old guy again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is amazing