Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

PeterCat posted:

So? He kneeled on her for all of 30 seconds, can't tell if it was on her neck since the video resolution is so low. And handcuffing is the easiest was to control her.

Getting rid of resource control officers has done nothing but increase violence in schools.

https://who13.com/news/parents-continue-to-raise-concerns-about-violence-in-des-moines-public-schools/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You should probably rework your avatar text to "Believe women. But if they're 12 years old, who gives a gently caress about them"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Srice posted:

As a general rule outside of some rare exceptions it's best to consider sanctions a form of violence.

Since heck, look at what's going on in Afghanistan right now. A lot of people are gonna die as a result of those sanctions. They might not be dying from bombs or bullets but it's still going to be a lot of preventable deaths.

I’m gonna be nitpicky here, but are there even any sanctions on Afghanistan? What’s happening over there seems more potentially due to the US theft of their money. Which, as far as I’m aware, is different than actual sanctions.

So, unless I’m wrong, I don’t know why there’s a number of people claiming sanctions are the issue.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Is there much text to that? I don’t have an NYT subscription, but from the text that’s visible to me, I don’t see anything about current sanctions. Same with a quick Google search for current sanctions

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

This is not a source. This is an opinion piece. And the "source" it cites goes back to that NYT article you previously provided. Can you please actually read/look at sources for links you're posting?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 23, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dude tries to help you and you're just rude. The US is sanctioning the Taliban which means they're sanctioning Afghanistan and you could figure this out with a quick Google but here's another article.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60715707

I'm sorry I get annoyed by people not reading links that they post. I know, that's such a high standard for me to hold :rolleyes:

But, sincerely, thank you, this link is more helpful. I tried doing a Google search, as I mentioned before, but must have done a worse job at it.

This makes more sense, since I didn't think about US generic sanctions against "Specially Designated Global Terrorist" groups (https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/financial-sanctions/faqs/topic/2396). I had mis-interpreted these claims as sanctions against the country of Afghanistan, specifically.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 23, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

How does enforcing/expanding anti-trust laws lead to communism :confused:

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If they were really trying to get things done, they should have really gotten the "not losing to Youngkin" thing done because that was a big bottleneck for getting other things done

It kind of sucks that McAuliffe changed stance on the right to work repeal might have been a big reason of why he lost, doesn’t it? Especially when more than 2/3rd of the state supports the right to work law.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Archonex posted:

This is bullshit as it does absolutely nothing to refute my points about how decorum shaming (something that Carter had weaponized against him to turn his supporters against him) is a toxic ideal that is weaponized by two faced or outright malevolent politicians who prefer a status quo or their own selfish interests over representing their constituents.

Had Carter done nothing the vote would certainly have not have been held as it had already been repeatedly scheduled to be held for years on end and was passed on because (insert excuse to avoid the bad publicity of voting against this for fear of losing donor money/business owner's support) here. Carter pushing the RTW bill to a vote forced the people involved in this scheme to make their true colors known. And then he got ratfucked for it.

To put it from another perspective, what you are arguing for is to be complacent and an assistant to this two-faced system of abuse by instead being just as sneaky. Something that almost never works since without a solid political infrastructure (organized and effective PAC's separate from the dem establishment, donor crowdfunding efforts, etc, etc, similar to what AOC and company set up.*) your opposition will out fund, out maneuver, and out propagandize you by dint of being more entrenched every time.

Almost every left leaning individual who has in the past tried to do what you are suggesting without the infrastructure behind them separate from the party or state machine apparatus has gotten pushed out of their position or was forced to capitulate to the status quo. Failing that, they had the public co-opted into turning against them by propagandizing silent acceptance of two faced behavior like this.

The only reason that more recent lefter leaning politicians have succeeded with what you are suggesting is because they were fortunate enough to have a ton of organized support backing them up. Carter did not have that infrastructure and in fact by many accounts appeared to have fair-weather support from some of his supporters at best as evidenced by people in this forum. Meaning that he had a choice between letting an objectively wrong thing happen that would have potentially undermined his very reason to be there in the first place if he let it go quietly. So he played the hand he was dealt and at least made it clear to those that were actually paying attention that the people he was so angry at were just as lovely as he claimed.

That you think this was somehow a bad thing because of a nebulous understanding of realpolitik that doesn't go into the intricacies of the logistics of the tactics you suggest does not mean he did the wrong thing at all.

* Which you will note is part of why the centrists, third way types, and dem establishment in general were so angry at AoC and similar individuals and tried to blacklist any primary opposition for so long. It had become evident that the elements of the party that weren't leaning rightwards were organizing effective resistance to control of the party.

Ditto for all the two faced attempts from folks on the Democratic party's side of things like Pelosi to backstab the squad in the eyes of the public. It got to the point where Pelosi and company were sometimes even aiding and abetting Republican efforts to slander them before walking suddenly their position back only once it was obvious it hadn't worked.

So...... what was the upside of Carter doing this? You say it's to "make their true colors known". But.... how has that [positively] changed anything for VA politics? I'm not very familiar about the local level, so I could be missing something. But all I can see for an outcome is that Carter got destroyed in the governor's primary race and also no longer a state representative.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 23, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Archonex posted:

The upside is that now people know that these politicians, be they Democrats or Republicans, aren't going to vote for it no matter what. Which can give the impetus to vote them out and replace them with someone more amenable to the interests of the public. Whereas before they could hide behind an eternal claim of "We'll get to it next year" as they had been doing for years on end to avoid the bad PR.

Before, there was the excuse. Now there is the reality. That is something that people can organize around and is an actionable political weapon against those politicians to get them out of office. Whereas if people in favor of getting rid of RTW before tried that there was always the sop of "Well, we just haven't voted on it yet.", thereby making it pretty much impossible to get support amongst moderates or good faith voters who assume that they wouldn't get screwed over by their representatives.

Likewise, the lack of it being repealed also undermines the argument against Carter somehow breaking a non-existent rule regarding decorum; thereby justifying him being tarred and feathered straight out of office. Since if it really was something they intended to vote through why would them voting it down because of one man being a dick make any sense? Ditto for any consecutive year afterwards when RTW hasn't been repealed yet so long as there is an organized effort to propagandize for it's repeal, thereby placing pressure on them to actually do their loving jobs like they claimed they would in the first place.

Also, what do you think would have happened if Carter stayed silent? Do you think he would have been been given a silent pass on it by those who didn't want to see someone on the left have any power? Or is it more likely that his complicity in playing along with that could have been used against him to propagandize for his own loss of office or being co-opted in exchange for staying in power?

Well, looking at VA house incumbents who got primaried out in 2021, after the vote to block the bill occurred, 4 of them lost. Out of these 4, only 1 voted for blocking the bill (Heretick). The other 3 voted against it (Carter, Levine, and Samirah).

Do you still think this is a positive change for VA politics? Based on this, I don't think most VA voters agree with your stance of

quote:

give the impetus to vote them out and replace them with someone more amenable to the interests of the public
Or at least they seem to disagree overall with this being stated about the people who voted for blocking the bill.

For your questions at the end, there's miles between staying silent and doing what Carter did. But, as I stated, I don't know local VA politics very well, so I might be missing something big. But until you can point me to some concrete evidence of positive outcomes that have occurred, call me skeptical.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 24, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Archonex posted:

It's definitely not a positive change. Though, this goes back to one of my other points: I've heard exactly nothing about any sort of organized effort from VAers in response to the RTW repeal bill being voted down. And given the uh...well, pretty much everything about the general behavior of the state democratic political machine in VA it's unlikely that whatever state/local apparatus would be okay with those three staying in office if they voted to repeal RTW.

I'd have to talk to some folks I know who live in the state, but the last I heard everyone was pretty much disgusted with all the Dem politicians rallying around the governor to try and write off the whole blackface thing and all the other horridly racist stuff. Which certainly would hit the Democrats in office in the state pretty hard either way, and certainly possibly even worse than that if they supported the governor if that disgust was the general feeling amongst people.

Without knowing if the people who were primaried out ran cover (I haven't checked this yet. Probably will now.) for the governor during the whole blackface and KKK thing it's hard to say if it was directly the cause of attempting to repeal RTW by the voters or a lack of support as a result of it. If the pro RTW politicians are as entrenched as it sounds however i'd be looking into who ran against them, who their donor money came from, and whether or not the state party supported the incumbents before I start making judgements about the viability of activism in office in the state.

I'm sorry for misinterpreting your post. You had previously stated "the upside is", which I associate with positivity to some degree. I didn't mean "a positive change" as in more positive than negative, so I should have stuck with saying "the upside".

If you hear any more from people there/etc, please post it. And just to clarify, I'm not saying the vote on blocking the bill had anything to do with those 4 getting primaried out. I'm just saying it doesn't appear like there was a large backlash just because of a public record for a yay vote on blocking that bill, which seems to refute what you were saying as an upside.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

Who cares if an elected official is an rear end in a top hat? I don't care if a plumber is an rear end in a top hat, I just want my toilet unclogged.

Are you insinuating that Lee Carter got things done [with regards to the right to work law]? Based on how things turned out for him, it seemed like he was a giant rear end in a top hat and ineffective.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not weird for unions to also not support the most left Democrat automatically?

At least here in MA union support is always split between candidates in primary races because some of the unions are more progressive than others.

It’s weird for a number of unions to not support the incumbent candidate who’s supposedly the most pro-union option

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 24, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Not entirely. Unions are great, but it is quite honestly a big problem that they are made up of apparatus that will back candidates that aren't the best for the members, but are the best that they can think they can get away with right now. This is not to comment on Lee Carters own status (I don't know the bloke from Adam to be quite honest) but it is vital that you look at which union groups and which sector of unions are supporting certain candidates. Police unions are the obvious one to watch in this instance of course, but we should discount them more generally.

While I agree overall, that’s why I included a couple of keywords in my post. I mentioned “incumbent” to demonstrate that the politician is already a viable/realistic candidate. And I mentioned “a number of unions” to demonstrate it’s not just 1 or 2 and to insinuate it’s a variety of different unions. And both of these are 100% applicable in the specific case of Carter.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's also being used as a logical jumping point to argue that there must be fire to the second and third hand accounts of smoke which makes even less sense. I can't tell if Kalit is falling into a technically correct hole where they need to push back on the union comment or if they're pushing the union stuff to silently push the "and the rumors are all true". One is pretty chill and whatever, we're all nerds who need to be right. The other is very unchill.

I don’t know what rumors you’re referring to. But it seems likely that Carter pissed a lot of people off during his second term in office. On top of that, VA is no closer to getting rid of their right to work law and they seem to have fewer progressives in office after last year’s elections

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Seem to have fewer democrats in office overall, including statewide offices, so it doesn't look like the people who ran Carter out of town are doing a great job either, pragmatically speaking of course

Sorry, I should have been more precise. I meant it seemed like a number of progressive incumbents [in VA] also lost their 2021 primary election. Which led to a less progressive Democrat in office for those who went on and won the general election

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 24, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Is this not something Biden could resolve with an EO?

As far as federal legalization of marijuana, he most likely cannot. It needs to be done via legislation:https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/LSB/LSB10655

quote:

If the President sought to act in the area of controlled substances regulation, he would likely do so by executive order. However, the Supreme Court has held that the President has the power to issue an executive order only if authorized by “an act of Congress or . . . the Constitution itself.” The CSA does not provide a direct role for the President in the classification of controlled substances, nor does Article II of the Constitution grant the President power in this area (federal controlled substances law is an exercise of Congress’s power to regulate interstate commerce). Thus, it does not appear that the President could directly deschedule or reschedule marijuana by executive order.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Y'all know we have a different thread for this kind of electoralism/party/etc chat, right? I'll link it for ease: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986700

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

Well, in the last thread here's people that argued for sanctions:

My eyes must be deceiving me, who's arguing for regime change in Russia?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

The point of sanctions is to generate so much human suffering that the populace rises up against their government. This is well established.

That seems to be your interpretation of what these sanctions are for. That's not what those people were arguing for. Stop making up arguments

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

So you're saying these people didn't understand the consequences of sanctions, and they were arguing from a position of ignorance? Well, uh, that's a weird defense.

The point of my post was try to get you to do some self-reflection on what your opinion is. So I'll state it clearly: just because you think that the point (or outcome) of sanctions are always to change regimes, it does not make this a fact.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

So, about that Utah's governor veto the other day:
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1507472838038470664

I never have much faith in Utah politics, but their lawmakers overriding the governor's veto on this still surprises me :sigh:

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

It's just intentionality handwaving. "I didn't mean to" is a classic way of denying accountability, including when children starve.

So, since I'm having a hard time following this conversation, what exactly are posters arguing about these past handful of pages? Is it about sanctions in general? Or is it about the Russia sanctions specifically?

If about Russia specifically, are those who are against them saying that there are alternative, less harmful, better ways to deter Russia? Or just that the US/NATO should stay out of it completely and let Russia/Ukraine do their thing without any attempted interference/etc and think that it'll end up in less violence/harm?

Harold Fjord, this isn't directed towards you specifically. I just used your post as an example for me being confused about what the conversation is even about anymore.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 27, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think rally around the flag would happen the second we send troops in but the backlash would also be a mess. He might get all the way up to 53%

Thank gently caress we have a president who seems committed to not send in troops for once!

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

c'mon, do you think people are checking the covid numbers and setting their concern level accordingly? It's not a concern bc it isn't framed as a concern by our media and elected officials.

..... Yes?? At least some people are. I know I am. That's why I'm less concerned about it currently than I have been in the recent past. That's also true for a lot of my friends.

Also, don't you think that at least some media/elected officials that change their tune based on covid numbers? You seem to be insinuating that media/elected officials don't change their stance as COVID numbers change.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 27, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

There might be a handful, but since both parties have decided COVID is over, and the media has milked the topic for all the ad-clicks it was worth, the pandemic has mostly faded from public discussion. I think the last story I saw on it was how many deaths Cuomo covered up.

And you think the declining number of news stories has nothing to do with the new case count plummeting in the US?

But fine, if you need another story on it, here's one from a couple days ago on CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/25/health/covid-surveillance-still-matters/index.html

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

theCalamity posted:

And for me, people getting all flustered about The Slaps but then turn around and celebrate sanctions on other countries, is infuriating. These same people will be quiet at other forms of violence I.e. homelessness, lack of healthcare, food insecurity, child poverty, and so on. But one millionaire slaps another? Oh my god, he’s just like Putin and Trump! It’s giving me flashbacks to my abusive dad and such. Blah blah blah.

And some of the people opposing all sanctions because of the violence they can cause will shrug about an imperialistic country (not the USA in this case, for once) killing people in a neighboring country. What’s your point?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 28, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

The big question is how much bang for the buck defense companies will get in exchange for their lobbying & donations:

A rising tide "lifts all boats" in the defense industry is my new favorite nonsensical euphemism.

So… I don’t have much faith in Politico in general, but are they really desperate enough to re-use a quote from 2016 to try to get clicks? That was literally about boats? It’s not a direct quote attributed to Thompson in https://portal.ct.gov/OMA/In-the-News/2016-News/Ohio-Replacement-Plan-Is-Good-News-For-Electric-Boat, but it seems like it might be something he stated, given the context. And I don’t see a date/source for it given in that Politico article :rolleyes:

Regardless, it seems like this article is just trying to hype up what everyone knows. DoD budget goes up every year and defense contractors love conflict/wars. Luckily, we have a president who seems opposed to direct intervention for once.

E: VVVV

Yinlock posted:

There's something sincerely disgusting about how cheerfully they go about it. Just total sociopath behavior, which while unsurprising is still gross.
It’s probably not an actual quote by Thompson about the current Russia situation. Look at the article I included

E2: I found the “happy days are here again” quote from Thompson was stated a lot. In addition to the above article about Ohio, here’s another instance about Trump being elected :lol: https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2016/11/09/for-the-defense-industry-trumps-win-means-happy-days-are-here-again/amp/

Kalit fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 29, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

What's silly is emphasizing the spending for something voters have indicated they don't care about while not funding things they do care about, at a time when presidential ratings are wallowing in the crapper.

This sounds like a terrible way to determine what to fund. Unless you don’t care about things such as education funding at all, since most people ranked its priority really low in this recent poll: https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-BIDEN/POLL/nmopagnqapa/

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/anacabrera/status/1509621287722881030?s=21&t=U4OZNRULkcANYTxv42weFg

That didn’t last long. The summary of the judge’s rulings is

quote:

"In sum, this Court concludes that to the extent promoting voter confidence or preventing voter fraud may have motivated the Legislature in part, this Court finds that the Legislature passed SB 90 with the intent to restructure Florida's election system in ways that favor the Republican Party over the Democratic Party," the judge said. "This Court further finds that, to advance the Legislature's main goal of favoring Republicans over Democrats, the Legislature enacted some of SB 90's provisions with the intent to target Black voters because of their propensity to favor Democratic candidates."

Hopefully this opinion is good enough to convince an appeals court to not overrule it. But I have no idea how all that works/if it matters. Regardless, it’s good news for now for Florida

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Biden has done nothing on voting rights or student loans, so it's not that surprising. Plus it's coupled with the end of a lot of the pandemic-era government assistance programs (UE benefit extensions, child care bonuses), and of course the rising cost of everything.

As a reminder, he has cancelled $415 million in student loans: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/17/education-department-forgives-415-million-in-private-student-debt-.html

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those were specifically for borrowers who went to colleges where the institutions may have broken the law

I'm talking about the general forgiveness that was part of the campaign

You should probably be more precise with your language if you don't want to be corrected. It just seemed like you didn't realize that Biden had, in fact, actually done something about some student loans.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

It was pretty obvious he was talking about Biden's campaign promise for a new policy of general student loan forgiveness, not the preexisting loan forgiveness programs for special cases that Biden was always legally obligated to carry out

How was it obvious that FlamingLiberal was talking about campaign promises? The only context they gave was that they quoted a post about the drop in Biden's favorable rating.

Unless FlamingLiberal was assuming that the favorability rating of a president is completely correlated with their campaign promises. If that was the case, I misinterpreted their post because I'd honestly be shocked if that was even close to true.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 1, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ahh ok you didn't misunderstand, you misread. As you can see Flaming Liberal cited multiple things together that would influence favorability. I'm also not exactly sure how "This person thinks only campaign promises effect favorability which is shockingly wrong" leads to "Look, Joe Biden did this thing which you say he didn't" but I can't read your mind so I'm sure you understand your thought process.

These are the two previous sentences that you had cut out of my quote:

Kalit posted:

How was it obvious that FlamingLiberal was talking about campaign promises? The only context they gave was that they quoted a post about the drop in Biden's favorable rating.
I thought it was obvious that I was trying to follow how VS got “It was pretty obvious he was talking about Biden's campaign promise” out of FlamingLiberal’s post. If why I posted that second part wasn’t obvious, I’m sorry for not being more clear. I was trying to walk through it to attempt to have us both be on the same page

Kalit fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 1, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t understand how they don’t have an answer on this after more than a year

Shot in the dark guess: see if they gain an extra senator or two over midterms (:lol:) and then pass it through congress. When that fails, maybe Biden will finally attempt the Executive Order route?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

It would perfectly fit the Democrats' MO to not do anything permanent about it and just dangle it over voters' heads as a not so subtle threat, yeah.

TBH, I would be shocked if student loan payments had a significant number of single issue voters. Definitely not even close enough to change the outcome of an election. So if they wanted to try to use it as a threat for the sole purpose of remaining in office, it seems like it would probably be extremely ineffective

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 1, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

Is the great merge finally happening?

Some admin decided to switch the top level links between the two forums. I assume most people use bookmarked threads so probably won’t even notice.

Or maybe someone changed a completely unrelated piece of code. Probably a 50/50 chance of either

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The Sean posted:

As of right now there is nothing concrete. The moratorium ends next month.

Biden campaigned on wiping student debt and hasn't acted on it so I'm not going to believe anything his administration says on it until it happens.

He 100% did not campaign on “wiping” student debt. He said he supports up to $10k in forgiveness through Congress

Also, why wouldn’t they postpone payments again? They even postponed after saying “this is the last extension”

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Then they...don't have higher inflation adjusted earnings

Good news you have higher inflation adjusted earnings but due to price increases they won't buy as much :psyduck:

There is more that goes into inflation than just those things. For example, school costs have easily outpaced inflation over the past decade: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/education/tuition-fees-continues-rise-pandemic-inflation-woes-hit-colleges-rcna14292

quote:

Students and their families had been largely enjoying a break from such shocks. College costs outpaced inflation by 28 percent at public institutions and 19 percent at private nonprofit ones in the decade preceding the pandemic, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

For reference of millennials having more income than boomers, here's personal median income over the years adjusted for inflation. I know this isn't exactly 1:1 based on age, but I figured this is good enough to show the trend over a couple of generations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Then the inflation adjustment you're using isn't weighted correctly because you aren't ending up with an accurate comparison of real wages

You should probably take that up with the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, not LT2012.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Purchasing power is a function of inflation.

If you have poor purchasing power despite rising wages, but you consider inflation "low", then you have miscalculated inflation.

Inflation is typically calculated on a country-wide basis, not on a neighborhood (or an individual person) basis.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

The way I see it, this is technically talking about it. A very "we see you, we hear you" kind of pitch that has no proposal, except for lowering drug prices somehow.

If he had offered a plan of attack, like national rent control and price limits at the pump, then I'd be more worried about the media silencing his agenda.

Oh god, please don't have us follow in the footsteps of Sweden: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58317555.

The actual helpful thing to do would be to offer a huge increase in government owned/subsidized housing. Which would predictably fail to pass anyways :sigh:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 6, 2022