Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Unfortunately there's no good centralized way to keep track of thread/forumbans so mods often don't notice until it's pointed out. Or well, we have a list now, but we have to manually check usernames against a list so things still slip by.

PeterCat has a standing forumban even if it was not previously enforced. They are welcome to appeal that by PMing Koos Group. If you or someone else would like to PM Koos to support having their threadban overturned, by all means.

Why a thread ban and not just a ban? If Someone is posting poorly then enforcing the rules seems like the right answer . Why carve out exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Jesus Christ NYT you are not helping

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1506095895577870341

No, we should not normalize the use of nuclear weapons what the everlasting gently caress.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't see how it's normalizing the use of nuclear weapons; it's talking descriptively about the problems of smaller "tactical" nukes normalizing the concept of nuclear war. If that's the descriptive reality, coverage is what produces pushback against it.

There's no such thing as a tactical nuke. 'experts' advocating for them shouldn't be quoted in the headline.

This just reeks of natsec folks pushing for normalizing the use of nukes.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1506132337318367239

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Interracial marriage is now a GOP issue

https://twitter.com/nwi/status/1506366122806943756

It got me wondering if Clarence Thomas would become the swing vote.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Kalit posted:

I’m gonna be nitpicky here, but are there even any sanctions on Afghanistan? What’s happening over there seems more potentially due to the US theft of their money. Which, as far as I’m aware, is different than actual sanctions.

So, unless I’m wrong, I don’t know why there’s a number of people claiming sanctions are the issue.

No it's sanctions OP

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/15/podcasts/the-daily/afghanistan-economy-taliban.html?showTranscript=1

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't think there really needs to be alternative solutions. If the goal is to end the war, preferably in Ukraine's favor or at least without further injury to Ukraine, then you don't need sanctions. They're a way to attack a country and hurt its citizens without having to fire a weapon and I don't really think that's necessary in this case. NATO is supporting the literal war with weapons and Ukraine's allies are also economically targeting specific important Russians and that is probably enough.

I feel like sanctions are a tool that sounds good on paper, but only ever ends up harming people.

The Afghanistan sanctions are just wrong and cruel, the Russian sanctions are a mix of wrong, cruel, or deemed necessary to deter further invasions despite being wrong and or cruel.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Kalit posted:

Is there much text to that? I don’t have an NYT subscription, but from the text that’s visible to me, I don’t see anything about current sanctions. Same with a quick Google search for current sanctions

Another source

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnist/2022/03/10/biden-sanctions-afghanistan-humanitarian-crisis/6918023001/

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BRJurgis posted:

Is doing nothing wrt russia's actions, yknow... ethical?

Putting aside MAD, I think people here (and in similar places) have such great and justified mistrust of the motivations and history of america/other major powers that many would argue against going to war with Hitlers Germany (were such a thing to happen on that scale today). As a fan of a sort of steve rogers esque "do the right thing no matter the personal cost", this saddens me because who knows how many steve rogers we have waiting in the wings with no outlet for bravery and sacrifice in the name of the good that humanity can offer.

Don't get me wrong, I find again and again the spectre of "a definitely bad guy/group you can fight" to be anywhere from a gross simplification to a deliberate and craven manipulation. If only the world was so simple. Yet there are plenty of good people who would do more, if they had the knowledge and leadership.

This wouldn't solve Russia and Ukraine, but large scale coordinated consumer activism/boycotts combined with great political pressure may give the people of this world a hand on the levers of power. Does anybody know of some sort of index of capital & corporations that would allow for said consumer activism? It seems like it could be a powerful tool with the dsa and social media progressives.

Choosing to not apply sanctions that affect regular people and destabilize a currency does not equate to doing nothing. We are still pouring military aid into Ukraine, as well as financial aid.

Russian leadership can be targeted and arrested if they ever leave Russia or it's vassal states. Their foreign assets confiscated, etc.

The best thing to do would have been invest in renewable energy 20 years ago, but now would be the second best.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The supreme court hearings seem to be going well.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1506432284622299145

some good answers on court expansion.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

selec posted:

Gumball is right about the ultimate solution being to overturn capitalism. This is yet another rich man’s war. You can’t buy or not buy your way out of that, not least because people have a much greater personal stake in having the treats that alleviate a little of the suffering when the vibes are as hosed as they are right now vs an attempt to hurt a corporate entity that is treated as an abstract itself; these efforts can only rarely ever truly/effectively change corporate behavior, because they talk about companies rather than the actual ruling class of people behind them.

Boycotting Nestle will never do poo poo to Nestle, too many people depend on those treats day to day. Nationalizing Nestle is the only way to actually achieve the goals we want, because the fiction of corporations allows endless maneuvering of the people behind them, spinning off subsidiaries to do the evil stuff, rebranding, and accumulating such huge piles of wealth that any of the punishments of the fictional entity barely dent its potential to keep on doing what it’s doing.

You have to take power away, because why should power respect restraints the powerless want to place on it? It’s been shown again and again that they won that one. Conscientious capitalism or whatever is a ragged comfort blanket that cannot possibly serve anyone with a shred of dignity anymore. The comfort it provides is too small and too personal to ever meaningfully alleviate the suffering that is so widely distributed.

Eh I'd argue we've never really tried to truly regulate capital in the US. Other nations manage highly regulated capital markets while also maintaining a high standard of living and social freedom.

Not all of us want Communism and it is not the only answer or even the default answer.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

selec posted:

It’s the only answer if you don’t want to constantly deal with capital seeking to overturn any ground you gain. It makes it a constant war for dignity which sucks a lot!

Deciding you can ultimately get what you want out of capitalism doesn’t mean millions don’t still suffer.

It's hardly the only answer. It also hasn't historically protected from capital's whim very well either.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

Correct, only us leftists.

:wrong:

You may achieve limited control of capital within some nations, but that only works because it has other places to go abuse people.

Global Communism seems like a great way to get a ton of people that don't want to live that way pretty mad at you. Also your argument also applies to communism so I don't see how it invalidates regulated capitalism while not also invalidating Communism.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

So according to SCOTUS, red states do not have to redraw maps before an election, but blue/purple states do

https://twitter.com/davidnir/status/1506670824656355329?s=21

This is a pretty blatant abuse and reason infinity+1 why we need to expand the loving court.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Sorry to bring Penny Talk back, but I was just wondering how much of a headache would this cause for businesses, banking, etc... Like, do we still divide dollars down to the 100ths or to the 20ths? Is there some easy way all stores'/fast food place's registers just round up/down on giving back change?

It just seems like some massive undertaking. And this is coming from someone who hasn't paid in cash in several years.

All prices are rounded up to the nearest nickel, and we never speak of it again.

I love it because it would eliminate 99 cent marketing in one fell swoop. It would probably just switch to .95 cents though.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

In some good news, Denver citizens defunded the police by 14 million dollars.

https://twitter.com/EliseSchmelzer/status/1507475702202843145

https://twitter.com/EliseSchmelzer/status/1507476692457111552

https://twitter.com/EliseSchmelzer/status/1507477299477704704

Unfortunately, the citizens must pay the bill for their own beatings, and the budget for beatings will be increased by a majority bipartisan vote.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Man I love the discussion of current events going on here by the same group of posters over and over again. it really fosters a great discussion place.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

You posted about it too? No one is stopping you from posting other things like news you wanted to discuss. Be the change you want to see in the world.

I do but the same five people continue to treat the thread as their personal soap box

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1507909948189159425

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Oof. Sounds like the party in power might want to do something about this menace and his enabler that can run for the highest office in America in 2024.

Maybe the party in power could do something when their investigations point directly to people in power, like elected officials or judges in high courts.

Or maybe they’ll continue to just do fundraising efforts and wag fingers.

Edit: the snarky comments aren’t specifically directed at you. At the very least your posts are keeping a record of the US’s willingness to move right into fascism.

Your snarky comments are never directed at anyone and don't foster a great conversation about anything to be honest. You treat this place like a punching bag to vent your anger.

Some new polling to read through

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1508094514480697346

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1508097916329676803

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 27, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Those polls on what people are concerned about is a good example of how nonsense voter concerns can be and how much media/politicians themselves lead those sentiments. There is no reasonable reason to be less concerned about the virus. We're still in a pandemic, it's going to require another booster, the biggest change recently is that we stopped talking about it. Politicians and the media have stopped worrying so voters stopped worrying. And really we saw this effect across the board. Republicans never worried because the people they trust told them to not worry. Everyone else has stopped worrying as the people they trust toss out the science and decide this is all over now.

I don't agree. I'm much less concerned about COVID than I was six months ago. My kid's school is no longer facing staff shortages, and hospitalizations are way way down locally. however, the cost of living is absolutely through the roof.

You can't just treat people like they don't have agency.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Bishyaler posted:

There might be a handful, but since both parties have decided COVID is over, and the media has milked the topic for all the ad-clicks it was worth, the pandemic has mostly faded from public discussion. I think the last story I saw on it was how many deaths Cuomo covered up.

Not everyone operates around the media discourse and you shouldn't treat them as if they do.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

This response is exactly why I posted it here, the only reason I know I'm not the only one asking and their it's not just me whining about "a little injustice" is because I've seen others ask here, for the benefit of other people who may also be asking and getting privately brushed off with lovely responses like this.

This response is also why I stopped bothering with PMs

Do you need to speak to the manager?

Here's a deep peek on Manchin's coal investments

https://twitter.com/ella_nilsen/status/1508441439696474118

Pretty obvious this person will never allow coal to be properly regulated.

On another note, a reminder that America's defense budget is astronomically larger than any other nation.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1508441555601965068

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I think we can all agree that Chris Rock seems like the piece of poo poo in this situation.

If someone publicly made fun of my wife's immune disorder I would probably do the same thing, and i would end up looking like an rear end in a top hat like Smith does here.

Either way it's stupid poo poo that distracts from important things like how the mods are keeping posters down

Willa Rogers posted:

the best future-take I've seen in the wild was "Why hasn't Will Smith been this angry at Russia?" which, honestly, will likely cross from parody to reality if it hasn't already.

Jesus

https://twitter.com/MatthewdAncona/status/1508404748361285632

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

bobua posted:

Will Smith laughed at the joke himself before Jada gave him the look. Then went on to give a speech about god telling him to protect his family.

Calling a professional comedian making a joke about another celebrities hair 'punching down' is a bit of a stretch. She's not battling cancer here. If Rock had made a joke about another celebrities male pattern baldness no one would have batted an eye, nor should they have.

It's a minor form of punching down. Alopecia is not exactly the same as male pattern baldness, and can be quite challenging to a person.

It was a joke in poor taste, but ultimately not worth violence. Words could have handled it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Sharkie posted:

Calling your partner a scumsucking shitbag and watching you calmly say this to their face lol.

That'll go over real well in the following days and nights and years of yalls relationship. They'll definitely respect your commitment to nonviolence lmao

I also stated that I probably would have done the same. Also your words are quite a bit more inflammatory than his were. It doesn't change that violence probably wasn't the right answer.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Honestly those sound pretty good. What's the catch?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

The catch is this is too late and it won't matter because the structural biases of the electoral college system will likely render Dems unable to win a presidency despite winning the popular vote.

So rearranging these chairs won't stop the ship from sinking?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Some wage and inflation numbers to compare and contrast

https://twitter.com/AE_Konkel/status/1509511556752621575

Inflation is probably going to be the number one issue in the midterms, and I don't think there is anything to be done about it in the short term. It would have been great to pass some anti corporate greed legislation and try and use that bully pulpit to drive the narrative, but whelp.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

It really seems like the Obama kids left a lot of potential money on the table if you go by Hunter and the Trump kid's actions.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Hahaha, no: The only thing that matters isn't Joe telling Hunter he loves him; it's that there's an actual pixel trail of the deals Hunter & James Biden made with companies in foreign countries to be overpaid for services while their dad/brother was vice president & beyond.

According to the Washington Post story, the WaPo got hold of a copy of the laptop's contents last June. They spent nine months verifying its authenticity & finding supporting documents, like bank statements, that backed up the data on the laptop.

We've only seen the first major-media story on the laptop's contents about one of Hunter's & James's deals, but trying to turn this into a Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood moment of paternal love & forgiveness is kind of a bizarre interpretation.

And that's leaving aside whether "the big guy" getting a cut of 10 percent of the deals turns out to be true.

Corruption exists. This breaking story at 10:00.

Love the selective outrage over Hunter when you never gave a poo poo about the Trump kids, who were quite a bit more blatant. Not like it makes a difference.

What this comes down to is people treating hunter as a partisan attack, and not really caring about the accuracy or their statements or conclusions. It's the entire point of the muddy the water disinformation campaign.

Does hunter Biden deserve to be investigated and charged for financial crimes? Probably. Add him to the list of hundreds of others.

This discussion of 'why won't the democrats prosecute the blatant corruption' made me think perhaps some people here are more pro police and prosecution than they let on with their rhetoric if it fits their political agenda.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The idea that Americans care about corruption writ large is hilarious to me. It's always been a partisan cudgel. Anti-corruption efforts are usually focused on those that harm the wealthy, not people that harm the public.

Ideally these are things the police would handle, but we all know what that ends up looking like.

I'm not sure how you actually deal with the issue of corruption in general, but strengthening the institutions responsible for it seems to be at least a start. Unfortunately even that gets applied poorly due to all the other issues with state and federal agencies.

How many three letter agencies do we have that deal with financial crimes?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

True, and that's probably a large part of it: If Kushner and Trump Jr are fair game, then their kids/dealings are as well come 2024.

Decorum strikes again.

This is what I meant when I said anti-corruption is usually a 'you hosed with someone wealthier then you' consequence than anything else.

Nobody is going to go after hunter or Trump's kids because it means their kids are potentially going to get it next.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, government corruption shows up in a lot of polling as an issue for which voters care, not necessarily as a vote-for-the-other-guy effect, but as a reason for disengagement in the electoral process & civic duties.

How many times have you heard non-partisans/indies/non-engaged voters say "It doesn't matter; they're all corrupt." Whether it's Biden progeny or Trump progeny, corruption leads to further disinterest in politics.

Oh for sure, which is also why you see each party do a little housekeeping of its own when someone becomes a risk to the larger group.

It's a fine balance between suppression of turnout and motivation of mob violence. People used to think the latter would cause a significant political penalty, but it turns out that's not true!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The answer is to extend the payment moratorium indefinitely and make the GOP the ones to start them back up. Tell everyone that you can get a loan for school, and never pay it back unless the republicans make you. Promise that with a democrat in office they will remain suspended indefinitely.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 1, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

I think it's very possible that they have determined that announcing that student loans are not being forgiven, and announcing that they are, would both be generally unpopular moves (politics are really stupid these days!), so they're just doing this instead.

If they're not going to forgive principles, here are a some potential workarounds:
1. Extend the moratorium for as long as Biden is in office.
2. When the moratorium ends, set minimum payments at something incredibly low like 1% of income (which would be a $25 payment for somebody making 30k), or maybe 5% of monthly income above $1000 or something (also a $25 payment for a 30k earner.)
3. (Comedy option) Eliminate any penalties to your credit rating for defaulting on your loans, and everybody defaults.

3 is a requirement if they just suspended the payments as a perk of electing democrats.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

It would perfectly fit the Democrats' MO to not do anything permanent about it and just dangle it over voters' heads as a not so subtle threat, yeah.

Well I don't see them having the ability to actually do anything about the actual debt because of the Senate. Extending the payment moratorium indefinitely and daring the GOP to bring them back seems like the best possible outcome at the moment.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Yawgmoft posted:

There is no way eggs under 2 dollars a dozen are not flavorless nutritionally void factory farmed eggs.

And yet poor people choose to buy them. Curious :thunk:

Not everyone can afford to pay $7 for 12 eggs from whole foods man. My family of four goes through 18-24 eggs a week no problem. I can't spend $50-60 a month on just eggs. Meanwhile, trader Joe's had an 18 pack of brown eggs for $3.50, or Walmart has 24 pack for 3.00.

I went shopping today so those are current.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Srice posted:

It sure leads me to believe that a lot of dems have learned absolutely nothing from the Virginia election.

Can't learn if you don't want to.

https://twitter.com/maxberger/status/1510981946473689099

We have two parties tied to capital with different ideologies, and the working people are just along for the ride.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Koos Group posted:

So they are going to be delaying having to make any permanent decision on it until after they've lost control of congress?

Isn't this being done via executive order?

Congress should absolutely do something, but I believe Biden can do this without Congress.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

selec posted:

Literally none of it will improve the lives of any American voters so it’s a wash anyway. Big ole WHO CARE imo.

People with friends and family in Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

The thing that consistently blows my mind about the inflation narrative is that people will often say that giving people more money is the incentive for private companies to raise prices to fulfill their fiduciary duty to maximize profit and place the blame on the government for doing something, anything at all, even if it's woefully insufficient rather than on the government not enacting price controls alongside social aid programs.

Of course we know this is an intentional blindspot that's purposefully created to serve as a major part of the "socialism bad" narrative that's been pushed since the world wars but it's so frustrating to see people - otherwise intelligent, rational people especially - mimic the behavior of a Westworld host and just default to a generic subroutine of "it's the government's fault" after immediately describing exactly how capitalist societies function.

*Gets shown a profit sheet for health insurance companies*

doesn't look like anything to me